Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 02:20:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Control S3 miners remotely ?  (Read 912 times)
DarkRavenGamer (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 02:59:51 PM

During the summer I will be living in a remote location. I want to access the miners remotely to restart them and change pool data etc. Would that be possible with a Rasberry Pi?

Also, how big is the risk of fire? I'm not sure if I'm confortable leaving the miners on for 3 months without surveillance. Are the S3s stable enough?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 04:55:10 PM
Last edit: May 09, 2015, 08:13:55 PM by Amph

there are some guides on the net about taking control of your rasperri pi with other device, like this http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/take-control-of-your-raspberry-pi-using-your-mac-pc-ipad-or-phone--mac-54603

for your miners s3, you should leave them in a cool place, their operating temperature appear to be between 0 and 35°, at worst case you could try to underclock it, so it will run cooler
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2015, 05:55:33 PM

During the summer I will be living in a remote location. I want to access the miners remotely to restart them and change pool data etc. Would that be possible with a Rasberry Pi?

Also, how big is the risk of fire? I'm not sure if I'm confortable leaving the miners on for 3 months without surveillance. Are the S3s stable enough?
You can setup your Pi to be a VPN server so you can remote login to your miners.  It's a bit of work to get it running, but once you do, it's the next best thing to being there Smiley.  I'd suggest starting here: http://readwrite.com/2014/04/10/raspberry-pi-vpn-tutorial-server-secure-web-browsing

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 06:44:28 PM

You can setup your Pi to be a VPN server so you can remote login to your miners.  It's a bit of work to get it running, but once you do, it's the next best thing to being there Smiley.  I'd suggest starting here: http://readwrite.com/2014/04/10/raspberry-pi-vpn-tutorial-server-secure-web-browsing

Or another option is teamviewer.  Teamviewer is a very easy option if you are going to have a pc (in this case a Raspberry Pi on).   

With team viewer you can log in from pretty much anywhere there is internet, including phone apps at this point.   So no needing to know current IP, just your username and password.

If your worried about fire this wont really alert you.  You might look into fire alarms tied into a security system if you want easy.  Or you could look into hooking up a a smoke sensor to the raspberry pi.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2015, 09:09:04 PM

Or another option is teamviewer.  Teamviewer is a very easy option if you are going to have a pc (in this case a Raspberry Pi on).   

With team viewer you can log in from pretty much anywhere there is internet, including phone apps at this point.   So no needing to know current IP, just your username and password.

If your worried about fire this wont really alert you.  You might look into fire alarms tied into a security system if you want easy.  Or you could look into hooking up a a smoke sensor to the raspberry pi.
I don't believe there is a teamviewer option for the raspberry pi.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 12:49:03 AM

I don't believe there is a teamviewer option for the raspberry pi.

It would depend on what OS hes running on the Raspbeery PI.   You have a lot of options (eventually windows will be on the new 2 version just not yet).

But yes there is teamviewer for linux - https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux.aspx   .  So depending on what OS he installed it can work.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2015, 12:54:18 AM

Sorry... I should have been clearer.  There is no version for the ARM processor of the Pi.  The Linux version is based on the x_86 chipset.  Not sure it'll work... Maybe it'll compile from source?  Haven't tried it myself.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 03:03:05 AM

Sorry... I should have been clearer.  There is no version for the ARM processor of the Pi.  The Linux version is based on the x_86 chipset.  Not sure it'll work... Maybe it'll compile from source?  Haven't tried it myself.

You might be right after thinking about it.  I did not factor in arm processor.   

VNC is much more documented as far Raspberry Pi.  Maybe once Raspberry PI 2 get's windows as official option we will have a option then.   But it appears VNC is better way to go with Raspberry Pi then trying to compile teamviewer (I see people asking a lot of it when searched, but not sure if anyone has suceeded). 
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2015, 01:40:39 PM

You might be right after thinking about it.  I did not factor in arm processor.   

VNC is much more documented as far Raspberry Pi.  Maybe once Raspberry PI 2 get's windows as official option we will have a option then.   But it appears VNC is better way to go with Raspberry Pi then trying to compile teamviewer (I see people asking a lot of it when searched, but not sure if anyone has suceeded). 
Yeah, I agree... you can run tightvnc server on the Pi and access it that way if you don't want to go through the whole VPN server setup.

michelem
Legendary

Activity: 1015

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 01:57:20 PM

You can also keep it monitored from Minera please check it:

https://github.com/michelem09/minera

https://github.com/michelem09/minera/wiki/Network-mining-devices

Get Minera. Your next bitcoin mining dashboard. Donations are welcome
Pages: [1]
  Print