Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:12:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: AntMiner Community Edition Firmware Improvement Project  (Read 5106 times)
MyRig (OP)
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2015, 08:21:54 PM
Last edit: May 03, 2015, 12:59:07 AM by BitmainWarranty

With Bitmain's recent release of the source code that is needed to build AntMiner firmware images we have decided to start a community project to provide improved and customized firmware builds for all AntMiner products that use an embedded operating system. These builds will currently be built independently from the engineering group in China that releases the official builds.

Disclaimer
These builds are unofficial and WILL NOT be covered by Bitmain's warranty. Anyone using firmware builds from this project should be familiar with the relevant recovery procedures. On the S1 and S3 this means a TTL diag cable is needed and on the S2 S4 S4+ S5 and C1 a SD card and reader is required.

Once fully tested builds based off of this project may be released with warranty support but for the moment no builds here have warranty support.

Project Goals:
Improve security by testing/auditing software applications and keeping software up to date.
Keep software in sync with upstream sources as much as possible.
Improved reliability by having community software testing.
Document the software and build systems used in order to make it easier for others to contribute.
Add features to improve management monitoring and automation of large scale industrial mining farms.
Add features to make it easier for home miners to set up, configure and monitor their miners.

For reference Bitmain uses 2 primary types of controllers.
For the S1 and S3 they use a AR9331 based control card that uses the MIPS architecture with internal flash memory.
The beaglebone based controllers are ARM based and come in 2 variants.
Controllers with internal NAND flash include the S4+ and S5
Controllers that use SD cards include the S2 S4 and C1

Current Status:
S1
Firmware from S3 can be loaded but needs to be modified for compatibility.
S2
Tested but unable to hash
S3
OpenWRT firmware based off of trunk sources compiles and runs reasonably well. Source code needs to be cleaned up and tested more.
Patches need to be submitted upstream to OpenWRT for native AR9331 board support.
S4
Untested but similar to S5
S4+
S5
Compiles and runs without issues but needs to be brought up to date with mainline Angstrom Linux
C1

We have started a github repo based off of the released Bitmain source code with some cleanup.
https://github.com/AntMinerCE

Who we are looking for:
Software developers who can make improvements to the firmware.
Testers who can provide detailed bug reports and test new features/changes.

TODO List:
Setup Continuous Integration testing and automated builds.
Download server for nightly builds.
Cleanup and Document sources so that others can more easily join the project.
Bring software components up to date.
Transition to mainline cgminer.

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MyRig (OP)
Donator

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2015, 08:22:09 PM

Reserved

Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
MyRig (OP)
Donator

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2015, 08:22:22 PM

Reserved

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 09:44:47 PM
Last edit: May 03, 2015, 02:06:27 AM by kano

OK - I'm looking at this and seeing a waste of time.
Anyone can mess with the firmware and make it look better or whatever
- my S2 firmware release I'll do soon will be a lot better than the standard S2.

But the problem is what Bitmain has done to cgminer.
They broke the API so it is no longer backward compatible.
They added code in their driver to drop shares, based on stupidity (on p2pool it throws away valid blocks) - the driver is not suppose to do that at all.
They added code in their S2 driver to pass unchecked shares to the pool to get the pool to do the diff checking work rather than cgminer doing it.
They store 6000 work items in the S2 SPI kernel driver for some obscure unknown reason.
Meh it's been over a year since I did this, not sure what else I saw in there.

Basically the problem with Bitmain is their cg*iner driver.
Remove their version and use the fixed master cgminer version - for the S1 and S2 so far.

I've again (today) released another AntS1 cgminer updated to the latest cgminer code.
That is the code they should be using, not their borked version.
They've ignored it since I released it back on 24 Mar 2014
They've ignored the S2 release since I released it 11 months ago.

And then they go and say that you void your warranty if you fix it.
Meh.

I've not looked at the S3 yet ... that's after I do the S2.

Edit: seems my rant made the first post be updated - they will have unsupported builds using the official cgminer ... until further notice.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2015, 09:54:28 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2015, 09:35:39 PM by -ck

EDIT: Kano has uploaded binaries for S1-3 here:
https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer-binaries

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
bitsolutions

Activity: 261
Merit: 257

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 09:55:32 PM

Reserved

Mining Software Developer.
Evan

Activity: 507
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 11:48:18 PM

Reserved

I am poor, but i do work for Coin Smiley
1PtHcavXoakgNkQfEQdvnvEksEY2NvwaLM
Evan

Activity: 507
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 11:48:59 PM

Bitmain, I would like to help you dev.

I am poor, but i do work for Coin Smiley
1PtHcavXoakgNkQfEQdvnvEksEY2NvwaLM
MyRig (OP)
Donator

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2015, 02:51:50 AM

To clarify, the goals of this project include integration of mainline cgminer into the firmware images.

We also want to keep the base Linux OS and other utilities up to date as much as possible

We also intend to release tested versions as firmware upgrades with full warranty support, versions that have not undergone full testing and approval would however not have warranty support.

smit1237

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

May the source be with you.

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 02:42:57 PM

Reserved
toptekk

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 03:03:47 AM

Guess that means well never See  BFG support .

I'll say it again I  like both CG and BFG .

why not give us that choice ? .   Angry
kano
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 04:17:45 AM

The code is all there in the open.

My S1 release is not a firmware, just a binary.
I paid for my first S1, Bitmain provided another one much later.

My S2 release firmware is created by me - I fixed the bitmain firmware and added in a working cgminer.
Bitmain did not pay for my S2, they just shipped it and it arrived in pieces and then did the warranty fixing it.

BFG copies code from cgminer regularly - it started off being forked from cgminer and most of the important changes are copied from cgminer ...
e.g. the Klondike driver that Chris Savery wrote and then I rewrote a lot of it, got copied straight into BFG ... but then hacked to use an unreliable libusb Tongue

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 01:30:21 PM

Now that things are open, BFGMiner support is planned as well (at least for the S5).
There's a lot of code to go through, though, so it might be a few weeks still.

P.S. Ignore the cgminer trolls' lies.

kano
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 07:39:38 AM

Now that things are open, BFGMiner support is planned as well (at least for the S5).

Please ignore the racist, zealot, bigot's lies coz he makes statements without proof coz he never can prove them.

nwoolls

Activity: 840
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2015, 12:12:24 PM

Guess that means well never See  BFG support .

I'll say it again I  like both CG and BFG .

why not give us that choice ? .   Angry

Please ignore the racist, zealot, bigot's lies coz he makes statements without proof coz he never can prove them.

Ladies and Gentleman - kano! Making it impossible to work with on community projects since...well the first time anyone tried to do that with him.

MultiMiner: Any Miner, Any Where, on Any Device |  Xgminer: Mine with popular miners on Mac OS X
btc: 1BmXY4ZZQh1iHSVre658gM1gPAEtDnq8rv  |  ltc: LP1SsHZTDexndkvRKsqAkXNsienPHwaMb5  |  hardware: nwoolls at gmail dot com
kano
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 03:28:56 AM

Guess that means well never See  BFG support .

I'll say it again I  like both CG and BFG .

why not give us that choice ? .   Angry

Ladies and Gentleman - kano! Making it impossible to work with on community projects since...well the first time anyone tried to do that with him.
Heh cgminer clone crony.
Who (back in Dec 2013) chucked a tantrum in IRC coz I told him he was wrong when he repeated something incorrect that his boss told him.
... and more than a month before saying he wasn't going to support cgminer any more coz GPU (the final piece of altcoin support) was removed and he wasn't personally told in advance ... coz he didn't read the forum Tongue
http://pastebin.com/SSUf6VRa

He's backed the alt-coin miner rather than the BTC miner Tongue

As for the points you quoted of mine above they are easy to provide records showing he is what I said.
The easiest one is to look in the block chain and see item 2 locked in there so many times over and over forever Smiley

bobby88

Activity: 147

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 05:24:29 AM

OK - I'm looking at this and seeing a waste of time.
Anyone can mess with the firmware and make it look better or whatever
- my S2 firmware release I'll do soon will be a lot better than the standard S2.

But the problem is what Bitmain has done to cgminer.
They broke the API so it is no longer backward compatible.
They added code in their driver to drop shares, based on stupidity (on p2pool it throws away valid blocks) - the driver is not suppose to do that at all.
They added code in their S2 driver to pass unchecked shares to the pool to get the pool to do the diff checking work rather than cgminer doing it.
They store 6000 work items in the S2 SPI kernel driver for some obscure unknown reason.
Meh it's been over a year since I did this, not sure what else I saw in there.

Basically the problem with Bitmain is their cg*iner driver.
Remove their version and use the fixed master cgminer version - for the S1 and S2 so far.

I've again (today) released another AntS1 cgminer updated to the latest cgminer code.
That is the code they should be using, not their borked version.
They've ignored it since I released it back on 24 Mar 2014
They've ignored the S2 release since I released it 11 months ago.

And then they go and say that you void your warranty if you fix it.
Meh.

I've not looked at the S3 yet ... that's after I do the S2.

Edit: seems my rant made the first post be updated - they will have unsupported builds using the official cgminer ... until further notice.

No wonder my antminer C1 Acting odds ( beeping even the connection status alive , and then stop hashing for awhile, few seconds from that  its running again as usual with status restart) when  they found valid blocks from blockchain  (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1051699.0) , well if its true bitmain has 'hidden agenda' in their miner drive , it would make ordinary people like me with no programming skill less trust with the bitcoin it self .

Ps : anyone here knows  how to install CG miner to antminer C1 instead of using the firmware ? sorry for the noobish question
bitsolutions

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 01:42:51 PM

No wonder my antminer C1 Acting odds ( beeping even the connection status alive , and then stop hashing for awhile, few seconds from that  its running again as usual with status restart) when  they found valid blocks from blockchain  (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1051699.0) , well if its true bitmain has 'hidden agenda' in their miner drive , it would make ordinary people like me with no programming skill less trust with the bitcoin it self .

Ps : anyone here knows  how to install CG miner to antminer C1 instead of using the firmware ? sorry for the noobish question

There's no real 'hidden agenda' Bitmain just doesn't have time to keep everything up to date. Cgminer is only one part of the firmware needed to run the miner, the Linux OS, kernel drivers and some other utilities are also required. Its not really feasible to update cgminer without replacing the image since its a built as a ram only filesystem(which reduces the chance of flash memory corruption significantly).

7queue

Activity: 177

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 06:06:35 PM

Was there a gminer that these two, c & bf, forked from?

8 )

8 )
bitsolutions

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 06:09:12 PM

Was there a gminer that these two, c & bf, forked from?

8 )
Cgminer was forked from cpuminer and bfgminer forked from cgminer.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: