Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:52:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Satoshi still have plans to access his coins?  (Read 3892 times)
tokeweed (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1405

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 03:18:13 AM
Last edit: May 03, 2015, 03:43:17 AM by tokeweed

I was doing some research on Counterparty and thought "Why didn't Satoshi "burn" his coins if he didn't have any intention to access them again?"

So maybe we'll see those coins move in the future?

Edit:  For the newbies.  Here's a wiki for "proof of burn" https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Proof_of_burn

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 03:27:07 AM

There is also the possibility that Satoshi could pass away and his or her estate would sell the coins in order to pay capital gains / and or inheritance taxes in some jurisdiction.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Eastfist

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2015, 03:36:22 AM

Want to, but can't. That's life.
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2015, 04:18:19 AM

Was "burning" coins a thing in the early days? Maybe he destroyed the private keys or deleted his wallet on purpose instead?

AcidDemo

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 04:22:07 AM

Maybe a big surprise in the coming years. Still waiting for his true identity to reveal.
Bralex

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 04:23:12 AM

Was "burning" coins a thing in the early days? Maybe he destroyed the private keys or deleted his wallet on purpose instead?

I would hate to think he done this unless he is already filthy rich, s/he created this awesome tech and I would love to think it changed their life and s/he was totally financially secure. Chances are s/he already was that is why they have been left or we have lost the great satoshi to this sands of time.

cloudthink.io   

Truly Profitable Investment Packages
Custom-Built ASIC Miners ● #1 Self-Sustainable Bitcoin Mining Service in the World ●
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 04:32:16 AM

Yes, no, maybe.
peeveepee

Activity: 211

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 04:34:50 AM

I would hate to think he done this unless he is already filthy rich, s/he created this awesome tech and I would love to think it changed their life and s/he was totally financially secure. Chances are s/he already was that is why they have been left or we have lost the great satoshi to this sands of time.

When he started this project, he probably isn't motivated by money.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 04:37:38 AM

Yes, no, maybe.

If Satoshi is an Anarchist we are soooooooo screwed............

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anarchist

dump it all at the same time ....zowie............sheesh ...scared myself

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 04:40:22 AM

Yes, when the price is right you will probably see those coins moving. The demand will be high for BTC, so it's nothing to be afraid of.

shulio
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 04:40:44 AM

I was doing some research on Counterparty and thought "Why didn't Satoshi "burn" his coins if he didn't have any intention to access them again?"

So maybe we'll see those coins move in the future?

Edit:  For the newbies.  Here's a wiki for "proof of burn" https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Proof_of_burn

This has been debated for some time and there is no exact proof that if satoshi lost the private key to access that wallet since we havent see the coins moving or that he is waiting for the price to increase and move them in the future since he believe that bitcoin will/ will not be succesfull in the future

Holding that alot of bitcoin isnt something for him to lose since he got them on the early stages
babykayho

Activity: 143

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 04:40:52 AM

When he started this project, he probably isn't motivated by money.

The world is motivated by money my little sugar plum. He will be back to dump a nice few hundred k on our heads see how money motivated he is then shall we. Jokes aside I don't think he will be accessing the coins he would have done that already.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 05:20:07 AM

I just assume that Satoshi is dead and that any friends or family of his knew nothing about bitcoins at the time of his death.  As such, anything that might have been a private key to any of those bitcoins is long since destroyed.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 05:21:24 AM

Nah, hes hanging out in Portland, too stoned to remember his password. Don't worry.  Grin

Ribsthemeat
Sarthak

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

Error 404: there seems to be nothing here.

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 05:29:19 AM

I just assume that Satoshi is dead and that any friends or family of his knew nothing about bitcoins at the time of his death.  As such, anything that might have been a private key to any of those bitcoins is long since destroyed.

Yes! I think the same!
Satoshi died before he could use those coins! He told no one about this awesome project because he wanted to remain anonymous so no one knew about his project, forget the private key! Satoshi is dead! Lets not make this a big issue Smiley

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 06:10:45 AM

in the future with side chain we could see those coins being used, but no one know if he can't use them right now, maybe he is waiting for full mainstream before using his coins, who know...
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 06:22:02 AM

Nobody has any clue about Satoshi's intentions.

He might have earned enough in real life to not require the BTCs mined early on to sustain himself - thereby not moving the coins. He might have simply lost the private keys and so the coins can't be moved. He might have died and once again the keys lost. He may have mined later on to some addresses that we don't know about and spent from there.

We simply don't know enough to make even a relatively informed guess about Satoshi's intentions. All we know for sure is that some of the early block rewards haven't been touched - that's about it. 
tokeweed (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1405

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 06:25:28 AM

Nobody has any clue about Satoshi's intentions.

He might have earned enough in real life to not require the BTCs mined early on to sustain himself - thereby not moving the coins. He might have simply lost the private keys and so the coins can't be moved. He might have died and once again the keys lost. He may have mined later on to some addresses that we don't know about and spent from there.

We simply don't know enough to make even a relatively informed guess about Satoshi's intentions. All we know for sure is that some of the early block rewards haven't been touched - that's about it. 

Forget about what his intentions are.  But does Satoshi have plans to access his coins again?  What do you think?

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Sarthak

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

Error 404: there seems to be nothing here.

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 06:35:23 AM

Forget about what his intentions are.  But does Satoshi have plans to access his coins again?  What do you think?

He's Dead! How can he access his coins when he already died? Huh ( if he's not undertaker from WWE)

EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 06:48:59 AM

That sounds like the logical choice, proof of burn is the same as mining and deleting a private key
Both make the coins inaccessible.
That said satoshi is either dead or just rich and developed this system in his free time, I wonder sometimes if we will ever see the coins used but I guess true anonyminity comes at a painful economic cost.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: