Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:59:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Your experiences with OS's ?  (Read 263 times)
Berque (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 10:23:49 PM

Hello all Smiley

After months of research, i am currently trying to install my first rig with 3x GPU cards. ( rx580 nitro+ , rx570 nitro+ and MSI rx 580 )  and waiting 3x more of the same cards.

Even though I've read a lot, I still couldn't decide which OS to use in my rig.

Is there any benefits or negative points for me using Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 10?
If i will be using Win 10 , it will be an unactivated version, so probably with some restrictions. On the other hand, i have an Windows 8.1 licence which i currently don't use.

So i would be grateful for any of your suggestions Smiley

Bonus question: While connecting the GPU's to the PSU, they all have different counted pins ( one has 6pins + 8 pins, one has only 8 pins etc.. )
How should i do the connections? Do I have to use all the pins, connect them all to the PSU?
When I asked different people, one said "yes you have to connect them all", other one said "no, even you connect 6 pins cable on 8pins slot, it will be running for mining", other one said "try with 6 pins first, if it gives the monitor some scene/screen w/o problems, then you can use it. If it doesnt give any view, that means the energy is not enough. "

What is the rule with that pins? 6 and 8 are just alternatives to each other, or should i connect them simultaneously? If I gotte connect them simultaneously, there won't be enough pins/cables for all 3 cards ( even though the PSU is enough of 750 watts ) ?
What would you suggest?

Thank you all! One day, i will also start helping people here!
See you Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Spartinus

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 11:45:23 PM

I don't think there will be much downside to using Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 10 provided it is setup correctly (the right drivers installed, the right software, etc.). Many people will suggest using Linux. If you are planning on mining altcoins, maybe look at EthOS. It's fairly straightforward to setup.

Bonus answer: You need to fill all of the pin slots on the GPU. I would recommend looking up a Youtube guide on how to connect GPUs to PSU correctly if you are unsure. It's difficult to explain it only with words =/
Mike Mayor

Activity: 966
Merit: 535

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 06:16:39 PM

Ok well. Rx cards are the best for months in that is why you bought them. I found this for you.

"A  single wire and pin pair is perfectly capable to safely provide ~108W and a 6-pin connector has at least two active power pin pairs. (The third ground and 12V pins may be used for remote voltage sensing and connector detection) for a combined total of ~216W before exceeding the wiring and connector's real ratings.

Where the real problem lies is whether the PSU is actually capable of reliably delivering over 150W over those wires and the lack of native 8-pin PCIe power cables is implied to mean 'no'. Electrically speaking, the 8-pin connector does absolutely nothing to improve the cables' power delivery since all it adds is two extra ground pins which serve no purpose other than letting the load know that it has an 8-pin power cable plugged in instead of a 6-pin one"

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3193109/480-work-pin.html

Here is a very good article is answers everything. http://www.overclock.net/a/gpu-and-cpu-power-connections

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: