Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:22:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to secure my bitcoins  (Read 2424 times)
jack102938 (OP)

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 03:54:13 PM

Hi - firstly sorry if this is in the wrong section!

I'm going away for a month and would like to know where the safest place I can leave my bitcoins would be? They are currently on mybitcoin.com but something tells me there are better places to keep them... is there?

Thanks for any help!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jack102938 (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 04:12:36 PM

http://falkvinge.net/2011/05/29/why-im-putting-all-my-savings-into-bitcoin/ wow
someguy123

Activity: 336
Merit: 254

CEO of Privex Inc. (www.privex.io)

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2011, 04:15:18 PM

Put them in a truecrypt container on an m-SD card, and keep that sdcard hidden behind your lightswitch, that way you won't lose them.

rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 05:02:09 PM

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=5194.0
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 07:31:57 PM

As with anything important, keep several backups. I prefer to store my wallet.dat in an encrypted container stored on Dropbox. Whenever I close the container I also make a local copy of it. Others prefer more copies, but for my purposes I feel this is enough, and I don't have to worry about keeping off-site backups up-to-date.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
jack102938 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 05:05:18 PM

Thanks for the help! They were safe upon my return  Cheesy
jack102938 (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 12:10:06 PM

Thanks for the help! They were safe upon my return  Cheesy

haha just re-read this thread - i was LUCKY Cheesy
coinbuyer

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:22:36 PM

am learning a lot here.
thanks people. so happy.

My Negative feedback was that am being accused wrongly of owning 5 websites. I never own anyone@all.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:34:35 PM

1) buy 5 usb key
2) install bitcoin-core
3) use a new wallet every 2-5 BTC stored on
4) save like a picture ... from the bitcoin-core "file" menu

5) 2-3 years after
6) install bitcoin-core
7) rename the saves with wallet.dat
8 ) replace the wallet.dat by your wallet saved
9) spend BTC or move sum to an other bitcoin adress (wallet in smartphone for example)

only the way that i have tested succesfuly.
wallet in other way and from an other software (android, other windows soft) don't work ... they change the wallet.dat file every 6 months ...
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 03:10:24 PM

Put them in a truecrypt container on an m-SD card, and keep that sdcard hidden behind your lightswitch, that way you won't lose them.

If you are doing this, then obviously keep more than one copy.   You probably want to put one where it is safe from natural disasters (such as fires or floods).
djangocoin

Activity: 474
Merit: 285

Brave New World

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 03:26:12 PM
Last edit: October 20, 2017, 08:37:29 AM by djangocoin

You need stick it on a memstick, then buy a rubber, pop the memstick inside, tie it in a knot, then stick it where the sun don't shine... nice and safe, just can't take a crap is all :]

:]
bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 03:35:08 PM

Print a cpl of paper wallets on an "offline" computer that never goes online, make several paper copies of keys and save it on 2-3 encrypted usbs and also print them on paper and put them in your safe, that should keep them safe.

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:20:32 PM

Do you guys consider multiple sd cards a good option? I am going to be traveling next month and was planning to store an SD card in the owners closet of our condo. 

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:24:19 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2014, 04:41:56 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Do you guys consider multiple sd cards a good option? I am going to be traveling next month and was planning to store an SD card in the owners closet of our condo.  

SD cards can fail without warning but it is rare.  Personally I prefer paper but storing on multiple SD Cards should be secure enough.  Multiple copies exponentially reduces the chance of all copies being lost due to medium failure.  For peace of mind I like the backups to be in independent locations, to prevent all your backups being destroyed in one event (house fire destroys all three copies).  One copy in fireproof* safe at home, the other copy in safety deposit box.  A lot depends on how much you are securely storing. The precautions I would take for 100 BTC are a lot more than what I would take for 1 BTC.

* Keep in mind most "fireproof" safes are only designed to keep the interior of the safe below 350F when exposed to outside temperatures of 1500F for the rated period of time (usually 1 or 2 hours).  This is sufficient to keep paper from combusting in a normal house or light business structure fire.  Most electronic devices (including SD cards) will be destroyed if exposed to 350F for even a brief period of time.  So this is just one reason I like paper.  They do make media safes and media chests (designed to go inside a normal fireproof safe) which will keep the internal temperature much lower (usually around 125F) but one shouldn't assume they have a safe rated for media storage.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:24:58 PM

SD cards can fail without warning but it is rare.  Personally I prefer paper but storing on multiple SD Cards should be secure enough.  Multiple copies exponentially reduces the chance of all copies being lost due to medium failure.  For peace of mind I like the backups to be in independent locations, to prevent all your backups being destroyed in one event (house fire destroys all three copies).  One copy in fireproof* safe at home, the other copy in safety deposit box.  A lot depends on how much you are securely storing. The precautions I would take for 100 BTC are a lot more than what I would take for 1 BTC.

* Keep in mind most "fireproof" safes are only designed to keep the interior of the safe below 350F when exposed to outside temperatures of 1500F for the rated period of time (usually 1 or 2 hours).  This is sufficient to keep paper from combusting in a normal house or light business structure fire.  Most electronic devices (including SD cards) will be destroyed if exposed to 350F for even a brief period of time.  So this is just one reason I like paper.  They do make media safes and media chests (designed to go inside a normal fireproof safe) which will keep the internal temperature much lower (usually around 125F) but one shouldn't assume they have a safe rated for media storage.

Thanks for the information. I visit family in two states and our condo in Florida. I was thinking 2 in each location and two at home for redundancy.

If I encrypt the wallet before backing up the .dat files the copies will be encrypted as well. Is that correct? 

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 07:42:03 PM

maybe:

https://xapo.com/home/

alot better than mylocalbtc i suppose...

InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 08:29:34 PM

Just secure them using a live Ubuntu cd in a cold storage bitcoin-qt wallet stored in several different usb keys / dvds.
Be sure to disconnect the pc from internet before doing this and you should be fine for years.
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:37:20 PM

If you are doing this, then obviously keep more than one copy.   You probably want to put one where it is safe from natural disasters (such as fires or floods).
Most fire safes are designed to keep the interior of the safe at a low enough temperature so that paper will not burn, but at temperatures that could damage media (SD cards, DVDs, hard drives, ect.). If you are going to put any kind of data storage device in a fire safe you will need to make sure that it is rated to keep media protected. These safes are much more expensive then other fire safes so plan accordingly.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
williamj2543

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 11:41:56 PM

If I were doing long term storage, I would definitely go with xapo.com. They are actually insured, so if someone steals them they will cover it completely. They also charge an extremely low rate per year.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Trader Steve

Activity: 836
Merit: 1007

"How do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time..."

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 02:30:18 AM

Paper wallets (3 copies, each stored in a different location) created in a secure environment with the private key encrypted using BIP38. Here is a tool I created for myself and my clients:

http://coinkee.com

TraderSteve

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: