Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:14:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pirate wants to settle with individuals for less. Don't let him do it.  (Read 4543 times)
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 05:22:51 AM

I think PPT operators should bear in mind that if they choose to negotiate with pirate on behalf of their investors, they'll probably be leaving themselves wide open to liability if the investors are not happy with the outcome or if they do not vigorously pursue any and all means possible to recover their investors' money, up to and including taking legal action against pirate.  I'd strongly suggest that the PPT operators seek legal advice regarding their own position should they advise their clients not to deal with pirate directly.

I don't think PPT operators are even considering such a thing. What we're seeing though is outright -blockage- of client information. Chaang Noi is refusing to allow his own clients to contact Pirate even if they -want- to. That's going to make calling my bet a bit difficult to say the least, if everyone got paid except Chaang Noi's clients due to his stubborness.   Undecided

Matt,

I hope your not setting up to win the bet on a technicality.. If the investors don't get at least 90 percent of their money back and it was agreed by the investors and Pirate, (including all interest owed up to the minute of the deal, (if there is one)) then he is in default and is fraudulent.. Now, if Pirate says, i ill give you guys 50 percent as long as you take my deal. I would consider that being held hostage and he is in default.. The way its written, if Pirate doesn't pay at last 90 percent back and its agreed upon by the lenders, then Matt would win.. Anything less, then the bettors would win..Plain and simple..

AR

90% would be a loss as well, the bet was that pirate would repay 100% and nothing less.

Well considering the bet doesn't have an arbiter, its a sucky bet anyway.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bigasic

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 05:27:21 AM

I think PPT operators should bear in mind that if they choose to negotiate with pirate on behalf of their investors, they'll probably be leaving themselves wide open to liability if the investors are not happy with the outcome or if they do not vigorously pursue any and all means possible to recover their investors' money, up to and including taking legal action against pirate.  I'd strongly suggest that the PPT operators seek legal advice regarding their own position should they advise their clients not to deal with pirate directly.

I don't think PPT operators are even considering such a thing. What we're seeing though is outright -blockage- of client information. Chaang Noi is refusing to allow his own clients to contact Pirate even if they -want- to. That's going to make calling my bet a bit difficult to say the least, if everyone got paid except Chaang Noi's clients due to his stubborness.   Undecided

He cant MAKE his clients do anything.. He can recommend action, but he certainly cannot make anyone do or say anything. (Unless he has a gun to their heads)

But, we have to wait til the 9th of September until we can officially call the bet between Matthew and the bettors. The point it mute, but since Matt doesn't have to pay interest, no reason to start paying til he has to..
Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

Activity: 571
Merit: 504

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 05:29:06 AM

Quote from: imsaguy
Well considering the bet doesn't have an arbiter, its a sucky bet anyway.

yeah, there is that...
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 05:32:33 AM

how can he block them?

i don't see how he can stop lenders from telling pirate their own account info.

oh good, now I can tell pirate about my bitcoin max account that had 40k coins in it.  I even have a screen shot to prove it.  Roll Eyes

i wouldn't say lack of verification counts as 'blockage' or censorship.

matt said
Chaang Noi is refusing to allow his own clients to contact Pirate even if they -want- to.

i was wondering how goat can even disallow this.

duct tape?
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 05:36:18 AM

Matthew was clearly being silly. He is trying to win his bet anyway he can  Roll Eyes   

EIEIO:

SysRun

Activity: 616

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 05:36:41 AM

if I had 350k on the line i would enter full time silly mode.

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 05:41:04 AM

Chaang Noi's clients are his - not Pirate's. Your bet surely requires that Chaang Noi (Pirate's client) is paid.  (?)  

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 05:41:38 AM

Chaang Noi's clients are his - not Pirate's. Your bet surely requires that Chaang Noi (Pirate's client) is paid.  (?)  

Goat isn't a straight passthrough, he takes a commission.

EIEIO:

myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 07:20:08 AM

And this changes things how...?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 07:23:53 AM

And this changes things how...?

Maybe he meant to say he's a gay passthrough? But yeah, even then, I don't think sexuality has much to do with anything here. Tongue

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 07:32:20 AM

The point it mute, but since Matt doesn't have to pay interest, no reason to start paying til he has to..

That's the second time, and I really have to correct you there because "mute point" bugs the shit out of me.

The phrase is "moot point". It comes from the "moots" or debates old english counties would have. Clearly, mutes would not have been much use at moots.

(I'm ignoring the Australian usage of the word "moot", since that means "vagina")

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 07:59:14 AM

(I'm ignoring the Australian usage of the word "moot", since that means "vagina")

Pronounced differently.  "Moot" as in point is pronounced with the same "oo" sound as hoot.  "Moot" as in vagina is pronounced with the same "oo" sound as foot.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 08:01:45 AM

Pronounced differently.  "Moot" as in point is pronounced with the same "oo" sound as hoot.  "Moot" as in vagina is pronounced with the same "oo" sound as foot.

Huh. I'd always thought "moot" as in debate was pronounced like "foot" and I always wondered how I was supposed to use the word in polite society. Now I know.

repentance

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 08:08:57 AM

Huh. I'd always thought "moot" as in debate was pronounced like "foot" and I always wondered how I was supposed to use the word in polite society. Now I know.

Nah.  That's why Americans sometimes confuse it with "mute".  If you've noticed, some US dialects pronounce "u" as in ewe (the sound in mute) the same was they pronounce "u" as in "hoot".  You notice it a lot with "new".  It seems to be regional, but a lot of people say "Noo York".

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 08:10:01 AM

This is interesting. Where is the alternative explanation from pirateat40?

I just can't make sense of it. Why does pirate want to handle it this way?

Wild guess? He is going to pay a small amount of PPT holders directly, and blame the PPT operators for not refunding everyone else, possibly claiming he paid them back. Divide and conquer.  It would be interesting to have a breakdown of sums owed directly and indirectly to see how/if this could work though.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 08:11:47 AM

Mental note: Before entering debate with an Aussie, have him pronounce both "hoot" and "foot" so I know what he's calling my arguments.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 08:15:58 AM

Mental note: Before entering debate with an Aussie, have him pronounce both "hoot" and "foot" so I know what he's calling my arguments.

Yeah, won't help when you get asked for a "root" though.

repentance

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 08:19:09 AM
Last edit: August 31, 2012, 08:42:22 AM by repentance

Try listening to a conversation between an Aussie, a Kiwi and a South African some time.  We all pronounce our vowels slightly differently and if you're not attuned to the different accents you won't have a clue what people are actually saying.

I strongly suggest never asking an Aussie woman which sports team she roots for.  Avoid comments about her fanny, too.

On topic : It will be interesting to see whether pirate gives any further explanations, hands everything over to his lawyers, or just drops out of sight after midnight Friday.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 08:26:55 AM

Try listening to a conversation between an Aussie, a Kiwi and a South African some time.  We all pronounce our vowels slightly differently and if you're not attuned to the different accents you won't have a clue what people are actually saying.

I strongly suggest never asking an Aussie woman which sports team she roots for.  Avoid comments about her fanny, too.

Very good advice, all around. I know at least one person from each of those areas, and I can fairly easily tell them apart, and usually even tell what they're saying. Wink

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 03:41:34 PM

I don't think he has a choice. If he reveals his client information to Pirate, what keeps Pirate from trying to negotiate individual settlements with them? He has an obligation to his investors to ensure that any Pirate payments on their collective debt is divided according to his agreement with them. If he lets them contact Pirate individually, how can he comply with his obligation?

He can't stop his customers from contacting Pirate directly, of course. But Pirate paying them directly wouldn't settle his debt with Goat anyway.

If my local sandwich store lets me have a sandwich on credit, I have to pay the shopkeeper back because he's the one who gave me the sandwich. I can't make individual deals with the shop's employers and suppliers and then claim I've settled the debt for the sandwich. The shop owner gets to decide how the money is divided per his agreement with the employers and suppliers. Me settling with them individually would cause the shop owner to be breaching his agreement with his employers and suppliers, which I would have no right to do.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: