Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:58:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Battle of the Bots  (Read 1824 times)
Severian (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 02:31:26 AM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 02:35:38 AM

lol
Severian (OP)

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 03:04:05 AM

They were modeled on the Williams sisters.  Smiley
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 01:03:19 PM

Is there really a competitive advantage when they start acting like this?  I never understood how you could make anything playing with such small amounts.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 08:05:57 AM

Is there really a competitive advantage when they start acting like this?  I never understood how you could make anything playing with such small amounts.

There's somebody who is running a scalping bot to take advantage of the spreads. This is pretty easy to see as trade sizes are consistently small and tend to lead the main trades by a small amount each time (often on both the buy and ask side).

It looks like somebody else who knows his/her bots has come along and with a little help from excel has calculated the % variables used in the scalping algo. They've used this knowledge to write a script to take advantage of the original scalping bot... in effect, he's stealing the small margin from the original bot on each trade.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 08:13:32 AM

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/kevin_slavin_how_algorithms_shape_our_world.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V43a-KxLFcg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dEzNMx94s0

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
squid

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 08:19:10 AM

Is there really a competitive advantage when they start acting like this?  I never understood how you could make anything playing with such small amounts.

There's somebody who is running a scalping bot to take advantage of the spreads. This is pretty easy to see as trade sizes are consistently small and tend to lead the main trades by a small amount each time (often on both the buy and ask side).

It looks like somebody else who knows his/her bots has come along and with a little help from excel has calculated the % variables used in the scalping algo. They've used this knowledge to write a script to take advantage of the original scalping bot... in effect, he's stealing the small margin from the original bot on each trade.

Ha! I am new to Bitcoin and it just keeps getting more and more interesting. So much to learn and this world is much more accessible than FIAT currencies.
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 08:59:50 AM

This is a bit over my head, but if accurate sounds like a fantastic thing to eventually discourage this type of behavior.

Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 11:44:10 AM

This is a bit over my head, but if accurate sounds like a fantastic thing to eventually discourage this type of behavior.

Either that or its just the same bot which has been coded badly and is bugged, or has failed to recognise the trades that its placed itself.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 11:56:12 AM

you really want to get messy, use national fiat currency exchanges, then trade in bitcoin in high/low currency spreads. That guy would be nickel and dime-ing himself to happiness. You day traders might have a clue what the hell I'm talking about

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
baggyp

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 11:03:06 PM

Sorry to necro this post, but I didn't want to start a new post to ask the last contributor to this thread to explain himself a bit more. I am not a day trader myself and don't understand the in and out of it, but I am fascinated by it and want to understand it better. Care to elaborate for us laymen?
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 11:27:34 PM

Last time this sort of thing was posted (which I believe was yesterday), the explanation was that retailers would want a low "last price" to be shown and sellers of Bitcoin would want a high "last price" to be shown, so they both have bots that fight each other over the "last price".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: