Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:21:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should the PPTs for BTCST be held at least partially responsible for the loss of investors' funds they were sent?  (Voting closed: September 09, 2012, 11:48:19 PM)
Yes - 39 (52%)
No - 36 (48%)
Total Voters: 75

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Should the PPTs for BTCST be held at least partially responsible?  (Read 1577 times)
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 11:48:19 PM

Just curious... Smiley

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 03:51:40 PM

Depends. Some operators were more "responsible" than others - Patrick made the service available to those who were looking for it but didn't push people towards it.
BurtW, on the other hand, attacked anyone who dared to suggest that the scheme might be a scam and pimped pass-through bonds heavily in the Newbies forum.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 04:09:29 PM

They are responsible to 32 cents to the dollar out of their own money as it stands, right?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 04:14:15 PM

Depends on what your definition of responsible is.

If you mean did they accept funds in trust for those that they brought onboard as "customers, taking a skim of the profits in exchange for the use of others money, then the answer is yes. Each of them is fully responsible for all amounts entrusted to them in full. To my view, there is no hiding behind vague "high risk" disclaimers or dodging by using the conveniently undefined concept of "Pass Through". You took money and promised a return on that money, and just as pirate is responsible, so too are those who enabled his deception by acting as his retail outlets to promote his scheme.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 04:17:56 PM

No, they were honest about just being pass throughs to Pirate.

However, some of them implying they knew his business model and saying it wasn't a ponzi, which is definitely misleading to their customers.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 04:24:25 PM

I voted no because that is how I personally feel about how things should be.  I believe they were open as to the terms and what was going on. 

In the USA, if they made any profits (that they got out) they could be held legally responsible and potentially have those clawed back.  I am not a lawyer of course, but this has happened before with dollars.  Things are different, as this is bitcoin (maybe protects the PPT's) and some of the PPT's knew and even said it was a ponzi (maybe hurts the PPT's).  This is all new territory. 

imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 04:29:03 PM

They are responsible to 32 cents to the dollar out of their own money as it stands, right?

They being Patrick, he bought out the others.  Otherwise, yes, he is responsible.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 04:36:22 PM

I voted no because running a PPT was just providing a transparent service there was great demand for.

I will say however that some of the PPT operators were constantly shilling for pirate in every thread and ridiculing critics.  Promoting the scam and acting like they had evidence it wasn't a scam makes them "partially responsible".

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 04:38:40 PM

I voted no because running a PPT was just providing a transparent service there was great demand for.

I will say however that some of the PPT operators were constantly shilling for pirate in every thread and ridiculing critics.  Promoting the scam and acting like they had evidence it wasn't a scam makes them "partially responsible".

My thoughts exactly, voted accordingly.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 08:06:58 PM

What if everyone that profited gave money back?

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 08:33:59 PM

I wonder how the answer changes, if pirate turns out to be a zeek rewards passthrou as suspected.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 08:56:48 PM

I wonder how the answer changes, if pirate turns out to be a zeek rewards passthrou as suspected.

It doesn't, because he never said he was a passthrough for another not-a-ponzi scheme. These guys did. Pirate claimed to have his own business scheme.

If he had said he was a passthrough for Zeek I suspect the answers would be different, yes.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
michaelmclees

Activity: 633

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 09:36:09 PM

I think it only depends on if the lenders knew what the underlying business was.  If I set up a pass through to buy Apple stock with my own e-trade account, and Apple takes a huge nose dive, it seems like I should only be responsible for my group's loss if I never told them or misled them about where their money was going.  The people running the PPT's were honest about it.
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 09:42:35 PM

I think it only depends on if the lenders knew what the underlying business was.  If I set up a pass through to buy Apple stock with my own e-trade account, and Apple takes a huge nose dive, it seems like I should only be responsible for my group's loss if I never told them or misled them about where their money was going.  The people running the PPT's were honest about it.

The difference here is that we know Apple's business model much better than BTCST.

Your analogy and what has happened here are worlds apart.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

michaelmclees

Activity: 633

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 10:24:56 PM

The difference here is that we know Apple's business model much better than BTCST.

Your analogy and what has happened here are worlds apart.

I don't see how that is relevant.  The only thing that matters is whether or not the people running the passthroughs were dishonest about what they were doing.  If they were, they're responsible; if not, they were doing the consumer a favor.  That the user of the passthrough wound up losing isn't the fault of the passthrough operator, it is the fault of the underlying scheme, and the user knew full well that his money was ultimately going to that scheme, whatever it might entail.
P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 10:29:54 PM

No, they were honest about just being pass throughs to Pirate.

We dont know that for sure. Its feasible some of them knew it was a ponzi on the verge of collapse and did not pass (everything) through, and instead just pocketed the money. I would like to see some transaction IDs to make sure thats not the case. I want to see those PPT transactions anyway.

However, some of them implying they knew his business model and saying it wasn't a ponzi, which is definitely misleading to their customers.

+10.
Misleading is too kind a word though.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 10:32:29 PM

I have no compassion for PPT operators who lied to their investors by claiming they had "insured" funds when in reality it isnt the case.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: