Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:57:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... 446 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do Atheists Hate Religion?  (Read 901255 times)
cryptodevil
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1240

Thread-puller extraordinaire

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 04:59:15 AM

Do you believe every child has a basic human right to master basic critical reasoning skills prior to any religious/nationalist indoctrination? Or does every parent have a right to decide how their offspring interpret the world?

Do you consider such indoctrination [lying to young children about the world before they've properly developed the ability to reason] to be intellectual abuse that is every bit as ethically repugnant as physical abuse?

Nailed it.

WARNING!!! Check your forum URLs carefully and avoid links to phishing sites like 'thebitcointalk' 'bitcointalk.to' and 'BitcointaLLk'

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ThEmporium

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 07:10:12 AM

Jesus said that if you don't forgive, you won't be forgiven Smiley
What is the actual word called for Jesus and it's meaning. According to Quran it is Isa(May peace be upon him). Isa has been highly respected and lovable in Islam and considered the one of the important prophet of Islam, from which language the word "Jesus" has prescribed.
aikunsatu

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 08:15:10 AM

I dont hate Religion, I just feel its a complete misconception, Religion is mere control, Control to those who created it and used "God" as thier rod of fear or in religion where that control is not used for political and power gain, its merely a guideline to keep human beings "morally" correct.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2015, 12:54:35 PM

Do you believe every child has a basic human right to master basic critical reasoning skills prior to any religious/nationalist indoctrination? Or does every parent have a right to decide how their offspring interpret the world?

Do you consider such indoctrination [lying to young children about the world before they've properly developed the ability to reason] to be intellectual abuse that is every bit as ethically repugnant as physical abuse?

Nailed it.
It is abuse, and I do agree with this. As children we are very naive and have not developed the right thinking skills, anyone could sell you a story about magical beings that are going to save you in the end.
Just because this doesn't leave visible evidence as physical abuse does, it doesn't mean that there is no abuse.

Most of the believers do not even realize this. If a christian (example) was born in a different region and had different guardians he would most likely have a different faith.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ridery99

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 01:28:15 PM

I support religious freedom. People should have the right to believe whatever they want as long as they don't shove it down other people's throat
Does this include the extremely impressionable minds of young children (formative years / age 2-12) by parents? Or do all parents have a natural right to "mold" their children as they see fit?

Do you believe every child has a human right to master basic critical reasoning skills prior to any religious/nationalist indoctrination? Or does every parent have a right to decide how their offspring interpret the world?

How about atheist indoctrination which is happening to children today?
Cearea11

Activity: 70
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 01:45:19 PM

You sound more like an agnostic in some ways. Do you really think that God doesn't exist? Or do you simply think that there is no way of knowing whether or not God exists?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/agnostic

Smiley

I think that God doesn't exist. Nobody has super powers or is immortal here and so there can't be a superior being that is able to decide about your life after death or that can control on what we do.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 02:51:50 PM

I support religious freedom. People should have the right to believe whatever they want as long as they don't shove it down other people's throat
Does this include the extremely impressionable minds of young children (formative years / age 2-12) by parents? Or do all parents have a natural right to "mold" their children as they see fit?

Do you believe every child has a human right to master basic critical reasoning skills prior to any religious/nationalist indoctrination? Or does every parent have a right to decide how their offspring interpret the world?

How about atheist indoctrination which is happening to children today?

Is it? Really? Or are you just confusing it with children being correctly taught to question and make up their own minds. That's what I will teach mine anyway.

Nowadays (in civilized countries anyway) the church no longer has the power to drag people in the street and beat them to death for not joining it's cult. The church has lost power.

The power has been returned to the people to make up their own mind, which is why Atheism is more popular than it once was.

MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 03:02:47 PM

Nailed it.
It is abuse, and I do agree with this. As children we are very naive and have not developed the right thinking skills, anyone could sell you a story about magical beings that are going to save you in the end.
Just because this doesn't leave visible evidence as physical abuse does, it doesn't mean that there is no abuse.

Most of the believers do not even realize this. If a christian (example) was born in a different region and had different guardians he would most likely have a different faith.

It can only be considered abuse if you're lying. What if your religion is the correct one and atheists are wrong? Then it would be a little abusive to just let the child ignore that until they're older, after they've picked up bad habits and a feeling of pride, instead of being humble. It's hard to be humble (and thank God for your blessings) if you've been brought up to take pride in your works and good circumstances because of yourself alone.

Proverbs 26:12 Seest thou a man wise in his own conceit? there is more hope of a fool than of him.

James 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 03:28:58 PM
Last edit: June 25, 2015, 06:32:14 PM by Buffer Overflow

Nailed it.

It can only be considered abuse if you're lying.

The church does lie, as it tells people xyz will happen when they die, and they tell it as fact.
It's okay to guess however, but the church doesn't tell it's listeners it's just wildly guessing, it's falsely presented as fact.

Nobody knows what happens when we die.

Nobody.

Anyone or anything that claims "they/it knows" is lying and should be ignored.

deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2015, 07:27:07 PM

The church does lie, as it tells people xyz will happen when they die, and they tell it as fact.
It's okay to guess however, but the church doesn't tell it's listeners it's just wildly guessing, it's falsely presented as fact.

Nobody.

But we could speculate. For example, is the state of non-being that preceded our birth (or the state before we became conscious) is the same state that might expect us after we cease to be? Is either of these states (or, rather, non-states) is somehow similar to a state of deep sleep, or any other state that involves complete unconsciousness, for that matter?

smith coins

Activity: 504

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 07:39:58 PM

as an atheist  do not hate religion, but I dislike the religious preachers telling me I am living my life wrong, just because I do not believe in any gods
foxbitcoin

Activity: 593
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 07:42:18 PM

the things that human beings have done in the names of their religions. They are not admirable, they have often been utterly despicable
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 07:48:54 PM

Nobody.

But we could speculate. For example, is the state of non-being that preceded our birth (or the state before we became conscious) is the same state that might expect us after we cease to be? Is either of these states (or, rather, non-states) is somehow similar to a state of deep sleep, or any other state that involves complete unconsciousness, for that matter?

Yeah we can speculate, that's all we can do. I guess everyone has done that, maybe even animals do?

Drogon

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 07:52:42 PM

We simply don't believe anything that is not logical.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2015, 07:57:47 PM

Nobody.

Yeah we can speculate, that's all we can do. I guess everyone has done that, maybe even animals do?

And my take on this is that these states are actually the same state of just being unconscious. You could argue that being unconscious for a few hours is not quite the same as being unconscious for eternity, but then I will argue back that there is no such thing as subjectively experienced (or, strictly speaking, non-experienced) eternity at all. My argument is that whenever you insist on future eternal unconsciousness (for example), you should deal with the past "eternal" unconsciousness as well...

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 08:08:54 PM

Nobody.

And my take on this is that these states are actually the same state of just being unconscious. You could argue that being unconscious for a few hours is not quite the same as being unconscious for eternity, but then I will argue back that there is no such thing as subjectively experienced (or, strictly speaking, non-experienced) eternity at all. My argument is that whenever you insist on future eternal unconsciousness (for example), you should deal with the past "eternal" unconsciousness as well...

Yeah makes sense to think about before we was born as well. Is it the same state as after our death? No idea.

jt byte

Activity: 994

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 11:48:02 PM

Religion is not for everybody, why We know the difference between right and wrong. We don't need the fear of eternal, painful hell etc
AceWallen

Activity: 479

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 11:57:53 PM

the funny thing is that logically, we shouldn't believe anything. the entire scope of human knowledge is tainted by subjective human perception -- meaning that we cannot obtain truth. we can only obtain what we perceive to be true. there can be no objective knowledge.

the answer? nihilism, of course. Cheesy
Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 12:35:56 AM

the funny thing is that logically, we shouldn't believe anything. the entire scope of human knowledge is tainted by subjective human perception -- meaning that we cannot obtain truth. we can only obtain what we perceive to be true. there can be no objective knowledge.

the answer? nihilism, of course. Cheesy

whoa. Shocked

mind=blown. never thought about it like that, but it's sort of true -- how the hell can we really "know" anything, if our senses are not truly objective? interesting take. is that really what nihilism is?
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2015, 01:35:49 AM
Last edit: June 26, 2015, 01:46:37 AM by Beliathon

the things that human beings have done do in the names of their religions. They are not admirable, they have often been are often utterly despicable
Fixed that for you. To be fair, plenty of despicable things have been done in the name of science, too. Think lab animals, and human experimentation torture. There are other, better arguments for abandoning religion.

It can only be considered abuse if you're lying. What if your religion is the correct one and atheists are wrong?

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... 446 »
  Print  

Jump to: