Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 11:26:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What do you think of 1 minute block intervals for Bitcoin?
Yes. Let's have it! - 40 (29.6%)
No. Too risky, not necessary. - 54 (40%)
No. However, 5 minute blocks are best. - 24 (17.8%)
No. Increase the interval to 20 mins or more - 9 (6.7%)
What is a "block", an "interval" or a "Bitcoin"? - 8 (5.9%)
Total Voters: 135

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ONE Minute Blocks! Bitcoin as fast as Dogecoin, faster than Litecoin? VOTE  (Read 4354 times)
chaoman

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 04:29:45 PM

We are on the cutting edge of technology. The idea that the most advanced transfer of value system invented by human beings should have to wait 10 minutes is ludicrous. Most people railing against this are afraid of change which is ironic because they are talking about the revolutionary bitcoin.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 04:37:16 PM

Honestly, who cares about 1 or 10 minute transaction confirmation? Do you actually sit on your ass 180 days (what it takes for a credit card to get confirmed) when you do a purchase?

All that matters is having a solid network, and we have it with Bitcoin. 0 transactions is enough to assume everything was OK. I don't get the obsession with needing a lower confirmation transaction, even if 1 is cool, I don't care if the pros destroy the cons. I would only care about confirmation time if I was buying a damn house or something super important.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2015, 04:42:55 PM

Don't care if it stays at 10 or lowers to 1 either, for confirmation times.

As long as "transaction time" is virtually non existent or a few seconds, then I'm on board with any change in block times.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
satashito

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 04:46:30 PM

No, 10 min is good.
I think they shouldn't change it.It disorder the distribution plan
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 05:16:23 PM

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 05:42:56 PM

Although a bigger (and better) sample size would be desirable as I write this, it's heartening to see that 5% of voting visitors understand Bitcoin in a sophisticated way and voted for decreasing the block frequency.

5% is more than enough to support a very healthy system when the Pied Piper (Hearndresen) leads the kids away.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
fox19891989

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 06:26:58 PM

I think thats a really good idea.

We would also need to adjust the actual block reward to 1/10th of the planned reward so that we still reach 21000000 on schedule.
On the subject of the block halvings, how would you feel about gradually ramping down the block reward instead of having a sudden halving every few years? I do not propose that we violate the 21000000 limit or the general principle of reducing block rewards over time, just eliminating the sudden drops. I am concerned about the sudden and unpredictable effects on BTC and mining markets.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 06:34:48 PM

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Indeed. No matter the blocktime, a blockchain is never going to be real-time enough to make the difference for most applications. For example, NASDAQ's colored coin project is never going to try to do real-time trading on the blockchain, because they have to accommodate zillions of trades per second; even one second blocktimes would be way too slow.

Bitcoin isn't a payment system, although it's commonly described that way. It's a settlement system, as well as a store of value system. Faster blocks might be better, but the level of risk in changing what isn't broken is pretty unjustifiable until we have more definitive evidence of both the usefulness and the safety of the change.

I think Gavin only brought this up to take a little break from the blocksize debate, as he and others were losing sleep over it. He had to know what effect it would have to say that even in a random comment. Changing the subject and proposing something more radical to soften up the opposition are time-honored negotiating tactics.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 06:38:28 PM

I think thats a really good idea.

We would also need to adjust the actual block reward to 1/10th of the planned reward so that we still reach 21000000 on schedule.
On the subject of the block halvings, how would you feel about gradually ramping down the block reward instead of having a sudden halving every few years? I do not propose that we violate the 21000000 limit or the general principle of reducing block rewards over time, just eliminating the sudden drops. I am concerned about the sudden and unpredictable effects on BTC and mining markets.

I liked very much the effect the sudden halving seemed to have last time.  It made me a ton of money.

It's standard practice in Bitcoinland to take with high confidence that past performance is a guarantee of future results.  Nobody has ever tried certain kinds of attacks so it is absurd to think that they ever will.  Nobody has tried to introduce white/black/red-listing so of course nobody ever will.  Nobody has ever tried to place restrictions what type of traffic traverses the global corporate owned internet (except when they have) so of course that could never happen.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 11:39:00 AM

We are on the cutting edge of technology. The idea that the most advanced transfer of value system invented by human beings should have to wait 10 minutes is ludicrous. Most people railing against this are afraid of change which is ironic because they are talking about the revolutionary bitcoin.

The transfer of value does not take 10 minutes.

Should we just post this every 5 posts on every confirmation thread on the board?

Bitcoin transactions take seconds. Bitcoin confirmations take 10 minutes.
Credit card transactions take seconds. Credit card confirmations take 180 days.

Confirmations != transactions

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Klestin

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 12:39:20 PM

Should we just post this every 5 posts on every confirmation thread on the board?

Bitcoin transactions take seconds. Bitcoin confirmations take 10 minutes.
Credit card transactions take seconds. Credit card confirmations take 180 days.

Confirmations != transactions

R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 12:50:59 PM

People who complain about confirmation times either don't use Bitcoin at all, or use it exclusively in exchanges (who do need the confirmation because the risk of someone trying to cheat the system is higher). Real purchasers made with Bitcoin are accepted with 0 confirmations with no problem.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
Troonetpt

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 01:48:15 PM

I believe there is a reason why satoshi choose ten minute a block. When we reduce the block time, there will have more orphan block, it's not a good thing.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2478
Merit: 1580

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 02:26:46 PM

Is there any other real benefit of 1 minute blocks other than quicker confirmation when depositing to exchange/gambling site or alike?
1 minute is still too long for small, real life transactions, so nothing changes here.

Would it have any positive effect on required bandwidth capacity for nodes or increased tx/second, or none at all?

▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████████▀█████████████▄
███████████▄▐▀▄██████████
███████▀▀███████▀▀███████
██████▀███▄▄████████████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
██████████▀███▀███▄██████
████████████████▄▄███████
███████████▄▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████
▀█████▄▄████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
Peach
BTC bitcoin
Buy and Sell
Bitcoin P2P
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████████
██████▄
▄██
█████████████████▄
▄███████
██████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀

▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
EUROPE | AFRICA
LATIN AMERICA
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

███████▄█
███████▀
██▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄
████████████▀
▐███████████▌
▐███████████▌
████████████▄
██████████████
███▀███▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▄██▄
██████▄
█████████▄
████████████▄
███████████████
████████████▀
█████████▀
██████▀
▀██▀
GET IT ON
Google Play
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
Klestin

Activity: 493

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 03:10:50 PM

Is there any other real benefit of 1 minute blocks other than quicker confirmation when depositing to exchange/gambling site or alike?

Even that is unlikely.  Exchanges already require a different number of confirmations based on the altcoin's block confirmation time.  Anyone expecting exchanges to maintain the "6 confirmations" status quo if Bitcoin switched to a 1-minute confirmation time is delusional.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 08:03:38 PM

Even that is unlikely.  Exchanges already require a different number of confirmations based on the altcoin's block confirmation time.  Anyone expecting exchanges to maintain the "6 confirmations" status quo if Bitcoin switched to a 1-minute confirmation time is delusional.

I think thats very likely as well. Bitstamp requires 6 confirmations IIRC, mainly because they allow you to trade directly with other users. The other user might want to withdraw instantly, thus bitstamp has to make as sure as they can that they actually received the coins. With 6 confirmations a blockchain reorg is very unlikely. Should the time between blocks be lowered along with the difficulty, they would probably require 60 confirmations and the "speed-up" is minimal as you would only profit from the lower variance.

I also dont understand why people are so demanding when it comes to confirmation times. Considering the alternatives in any situation Bitcoin is extremely fast. I doubt any stock broker allows live trades via their system 60 minutes after you created a wire transfer.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 11:23:51 PM

Dealing with the 1 MB blocksize limit is far more important than this so I voted no.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Coinshot

Activity: 521

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 11:27:46 PM

Most of the merchants now accept zero confirm transactions. Wherever there is the issue of security they will insist on more confirms if the block time is 1 min. So there is no need to do this.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

JarvisTechnology

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 11:30:44 PM

Dealing with the 1 MB blocksize limit is far more important than this so I voted no.

What is the procedure when we hit 1MB? We've been very close to hitting it on some blocks.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 11:35:47 PM

What is the procedure when we hit 1MB? We've been very close to hitting it on some blocks.

Transactions that do not fit in the 1MB block simply do not get confirmed period. Of course this will cause transaction fees to skyrocket as there would be an ever increasing demand with a fixed supply. My take is that free market will solve this problem by moving away from Bitcoin.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: