Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:43:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SFARDS: Results of “Speaking IMHO”- The Best Miner is…Contest [Update 26/5/2015]  (Read 9642 times)
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 11:47:10 PM

Dogecoin:D9PJqG2jzAwE2LMVSd7ZD3HZXPFXoEJ8Zy

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kilo17
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

aka "whocares"

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 03:14:33 AM

It seems to me that this thread is about discussing potential hardware designs for Sfards - and the discussion may warrant a prize but by leaving the discussion open it is possible that good ideas will come out of it.  While I applaud you actually taking the time to moderate threads I think it is crossing the line here, if we moved threads because off topic discussions occurred then 95% of threads would be moved to some other location--- I think some leeway on this thread is warranted....

Bitcoin Will Only Succeed If The Community That Supports It Gets Support - Support Home Miners & Mining
BTCBLOGGER

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 04:05:59 AM

The miner should have
1)Mining power more than 1 THS.
2)Generate less heat or have a chamber to contain some water so it will automatically help to absorb heat.
3)Easy to setup with a guide.
4)There should be a package of cable separately form which you can choose one like
         package 1 have 2 Ethernet cable and 1 USB cable.
         package 2 have 2 USB and 1 ETHERNET cable and so on according to the requirement of miner.
5)Both USB and Ethernet compatible.
6)Less power consumption.
7)Highly stable means less downtime.
8)One instant cooling fan which take air from one side and throw it from other side.
9)All miners have ability to interconnect through a cable.
10)Use of more and more aluminium to decrease the weight of the miner.
11)Ability to connect to the number of pools at a time it will also help to decrease the downtime.
12)Ability to switch it off at once and start it at once no need to configure again.
13)coming soon
Testing Crypto

Activity: 614
Merit: 506

Applications

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 04:29:47 AM

Been waiting for many years to see, not only in bitcoin, but all PCB's  & components Cool
1)Modular parts, making it possible to upgrade to the next design.
2)Replace BGA with a custom socket (the CGR {cryptography research} or some random name / number?), since modular is a few years out for costly budget.
Keeping the process of upgrades simple & not bound to a set design (unless a new modular unit or socket is created), sure it will be quite a few years though.

1Give4dbry2pyJihnpqV6Urq2SGEhpz3K
Lgive22khLkxDTgw1V3aMCv8vHsQJLnttX
DGive9RKJ5a2yBAdUzLJ839gBeboDku4VU

ZwNpPhVYrSrPMS71GLc7TEnbqA9VSZopGn // Gift5YapqsZqSTW8T4S3sCU4sngCkvh4ba // 3Gwc4KzVtuJ9ADnuqzF7XRhSaaE7HkBWpr // 1PAGEHrN62tgUHncGWbbhKe9jhZGXsxFC4
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi {SAT OS hi}
pinhead666

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 04:36:01 AM

This thread is full of techical nonsence but what an ordinary husband needs:
Miner has to be pink or red with pretty flower paintings to convince my wife that "we really need it in our bedroom". It should have only few fans whispering softly.Wifi is must,wife hates cables.Net radio playing Barry White songs is bonus.When I proudly presented my A2 terminator screaming like a jumbo-jet my wife told me:"That thing has to leave or I leave".So I don't have wife terminator anymore.If this kind of miner ever will be sold,my wife will buy it to me for a present.Price doesn't matter  Grin.
Meech

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 05:29:57 AM

The interest of Bitcoin/Crypto mining as a hobby or business stems from the differences of mining equipment.
The biggest hurdle to overcome is "What do I do with my old miners?"  Yes, you could sell them but I'm often reluctant to let them go.
What if there was such a design that it would allow us to integrate them into whatever case design and of any manufacturer.
What if there was a way to market it as a "Bitcoin Community Savior to Vaporware"

Allowing us to keep the communities failures alive by integration.

Or integrate it into this to make us all Happy!  Battery powered of course! Grin

- Keep it small and compact.
- Make it chainable to attatch to others without a case and a need for a controller for each.
- Include ultra-cool leds. (my personal favorite).
- Allow for custom cooling.
- Wifi
- Usb or molex connections for power.

Doge:   DTikLrU8D4yZZVBvz3weFS2KYMmewbWdPn
Ltc:    LheMNNCzyAA8vFSWZq2KR83XshK9F58Z2X

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 07:43:45 AM

Thread being moved to competitions.

Meanwhile the meta discussion regarding refashioning the mining section has been moved here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1058414.0

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Sfards (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 10:33:57 AM

Update 12/5/2015

We are so sorry that our contest thread has been moved to another section, hope you guys keep following our contest! Cheers!

Thank you so so so much for your enthusiastic participation. On the first day of our contest online, we have seen a lot of excellent product concept, some fit for family mining, some fit for big scale farm mining, and there are still some realistic proposal such as a little device of bitcoin full node(Like BITSEED); In addition, we also find some interesting conceptual products such as Tumble dryer, Lava Lamp,ocean wave create electricity miner, hashing the power wasted at your local gym and etc.

We hope more and more people comment on each other's ideas to add details of the products and even to make the ideas can be really developed.

Base on these, we decided to add an special award. You can quote an idea which you interested in and leave your comment there, we will select one critics award per day from the comments on the day, the trophy is 10LTC. Time is from today to the end of this contest, and there will be 6 Critics Awards waiting for you!

PS: Just remember, all of you guys can also join our second contest in Facebook, let your friends help you forward, and there are still a lot of rewards waiting for you!

louise123

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 11:42:39 AM
Last edit: May 12, 2015, 12:34:44 PM by louise123

Well, here is what I would like to see:

I would like to see an Open Source Hardware Miner that can easily switch, through it's own software, to mining a number of algos instead of just one.
That would really give the miner a long life span, and of course the company can sell it a bit higher, since the extra cost will be justified.

I know that, this is a bit difficult (if not impossible) since ASICs are made to do just one thing, but what if instead of Application Specific it was made Programmable Application, or Application Touring.
Basically make it work like FPGAs, which you can program to do things.

Well, that's it.
If you can do that, you win!  Wink

BTC: 1F5pXCvqkTieg88rFdy6VU7dHyu4wWCm5i
LTC: LTxPcPkiuy9rTWzCBjZse9oDShBPShaYLW
DOGE: DKbAkStQ7axBSkkMb5XGn1eKmi2drb9Zbc

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                ▄███
             ▄███▌ █
            ▀▀▀██▄  █
          ▄███▄▄ ▀▀▀█
         █ █████▀▀▀▄▄
        ▄██ ███▄    █
       ▐███▀   ▀█   █
       ████     █   █
      ▄██▀▄█▄▄▄█▀   █
      ▀▄▄███▌      █
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀████       █
▄▀    ██ ██       █
▐▌     ██▌▐▌      ▀▄
█      ██ █         ▀▄
█      █▀▄▌          █
█   ▄▀█▄██           █
█ ▄▀      ▀▀▄▄▀▄     █
▀▀             █    █
              █  ▄▀
              ▀▄█
     ▀█████████████▄▄
 ▀ ▀▀▀███████████████▌
  ▀ ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ▄███████▄      ▄▄███████▄    ▄███▄    ▄███▄ ▄███▄      ▄███▄
▀ ▀▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▌       ▄████▀▀▀████▄   ▐████▀▀█████   ▀████▄ ▄████▀ █████▄    ▄█████
   ▀▀███████████████▀       █████     ████▌          ████▌    ▀████████▀    █████▄  ▄█████▌
  ▀ ▀████████████████▀ ▀    ██████████████▌   ▄▄██████████     ▄██████▄      █████▄▄█████▌
    ██████      ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀ █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    █████▀▀▀█████    ▄████████▄      ██████████▌
    ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄ ▄    ████▄▄   ▄▄█▄   ████▄  ▄█████ ▄█████▀▀█████▄     ████████▌
    █████████████████▀        ▀███████████   ▀████████████  ████▀    ▀████      ██████▌
    ██████████████▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀    ▀▀        ▀▀        █████
                                                                               ▄█████
                                                                           ▄███████▀
                                                                           ▀████▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|█████████████████
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
  WHITEPAPER 
 LIGHTPAPER
|Instant Deposit
✓ 24/7 Support
Referral Program
RadekG

Merit: 500

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 12:54:27 PM

IMHO the best miner is the one that preserves the very basis on which whole community & industry is dependent.

A miner should thus have following parts/functionality:

2. A miner that allows user simple options to set it at different power consumption levels e.g. 100W, 125W, 150W instead of dealing in GH/s. This will allow novoice miners to make a choice based on their ability to spend on power. Also, for seasoned miners most important stat for making decision is power consumption. So instead of seeing hash rate, if we can see power consumption & ROI in $/day on a LCD display, then it will be much better.

4. Miner software should allow to configure miner/full node to run until certain conditions are met, e.g. run until power bill for today is $X or Bandwidth usage is X MB. This will allow customers to make decisions w/o monitoring things all day.

5. You can create a line of miners with each one targeting specific group.
   i) For Home miners & bitcoin believers - 50 to 200GH/s or 25 to 100W miners
   ii) For individual investor - 300 to 1500 GH/s or 150W to 1000W miners
   iii) For industrial miners above 2TH/s

Sam Smiley

I agree with 2) as it is very important for deciding mine or not to mine Smiley It takes a lot of calculations and measurements when adjusting by yourself. But I still it is just unnecessary addon.

I also agree with 4). It can also switch energy consumption profiles based on time (night time - quiet mode) or temperature, or whatever. This is also usefull, but unnecessary addon.

For point 5) there can be different targets based on current diff and GH/W, but generally 100W for baginner is good choice - it can ROI. Individual investors can accept machines from 1kW to 3.5kW, industrial needs easy stackable (rackmount) with as low components as possible. One controller for one rack, three PSU per rack. No wires mess, low set-up cost.

Doge: DGsXhaQDQtAC7tbL11SnZdYsaJDXGZR3Sy
LTC: LV64EXaKVgoUyuyo7xxPK1s6WcgfFQCusf
Bicknellski

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 01:24:18 PM

This wins. You could sell about 10000 of those easily.

4 words...

Bitcoin Miner Lava Lamp

BOOM!
No fans, no noise, just heat, lava, and a do not touch warning.  Smiley  Cheap and appealing.

Bitcoin: 168WXhArv7Fasqvi2xm5MQMfLhG18jifMe
Litecoin: LgPFkqhJoMSYZtwuQhnYaL7woQHSBBuYBW
Doge: D9jQYUxaShK3UAqAHLjEq49yqddpZZMWL7

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
dimazzzv

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 03:50:56 PM

The ideal miner for me must be quiet! like that my miner  Cheesy
https://youtu.be/VuAu4aiv8Sc
sambiohazard

Activity: 840

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 04:12:48 PM

4 words...

Bitcoin Miner Lava Lamp

BOOM!
No fans, no noise, just heat, lava, and a do not touch warning.  Smiley  Cheap and appealing.

I think instead we can have a Mineral oil lamp with miner floating inside it. That will be perfect for cooling, noise & home mining. Just like modern art showpiece sitting there in living room. I am a genius!! Grin
sambiohazard

Activity: 840

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 04:22:27 PM

IMHO the best miner is the one that preserves the very basis on which whole community & industry is dependent.

A miner should thus have following parts/functionality:

2. A miner that allows user simple options to set it at different power consumption levels e.g. 100W, 125W, 150W instead of dealing in GH/s. This will allow novoice miners to make a choice based on their ability to spend on power. Also, for seasoned miners most important stat for making decision is power consumption. So instead of seeing hash rate, if we can see power consumption & ROI in $/day on a LCD display, then it will be much better.

4. Miner software should allow to configure miner/full node to run until certain conditions are met, e.g. run until power bill for today is $X or Bandwidth usage is X MB. This will allow customers to make decisions w/o monitoring things all day.

5. You can create a line of miners with each one targeting specific group.
   i) For Home miners & bitcoin believers - 50 to 200GH/s or 25 to 100W miners
   ii) For individual investor - 300 to 1500 GH/s or 150W to 1000W miners
   iii) For industrial miners above 2TH/s

Sam Smiley

I agree with 2) as it is very important for deciding mine or not to mine Smiley It takes a lot of calculations and measurements when adjusting by yourself. But I still it is just unnecessary addon.

I also agree with 4). It can also switch energy consumption profiles based on time (night time - quiet mode) or temperature, or whatever. This is also usefull, but unnecessary addon.

For point 5) there can be different targets based on current diff and GH/W, but generally 100W for baginner is good choice - it can ROI. Individual investors can accept machines from 1kW to 3.5kW, industrial needs easy stackable (rackmount) with as low components as possible. One controller for one rack, three PSU per rack. No wires mess, low set-up cost.

Doge: DGsXhaQDQtAC7tbL11SnZdYsaJDXGZR3Sy
LTC: LV64EXaKVgoUyuyo7xxPK1s6WcgfFQCusf

Hmm nice additions. I think people dont quite realize the potential of morally biased not so profitable ideological mining. I would say everyone should do this. Graphic was made way back in Jan 2015.
Meech

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 06:17:07 PM

The human work output in agricolture is about 0.074 kw. I want a miner that can convert human work into hashing. That could be controversial, but a great deal for that zones who have a difficoult access to energy but a lot of manpower. In cold zones, you can use the heat too.

Or you can just convert in hashing the power wasted at your local gym...

Less fat, more hashing!

Doge: DT9TYwvCxzCqSB4Jv3xJ8xsyUcdWWMVwmQ

LTC: LaHCcnn5N5Qs7xcnD1ZH3CdCjAm1bZvxNJ
Ya!  Pump it people.  Make Daddy some Btc.  Cheesy
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 06:27:31 PM

The human work output in agricolture is about 0.074 kw. I want a miner that can convert human work into hashing. That could be controversial, but a great deal for that zones who have a difficoult access to energy but a lot of manpower. In cold zones, you can use the heat too.

Less fat, more hashing!

Ya!  Pump it people.  Make Daddy some Btc.  Cheesy

Could you then have incentives for people to work out there, where they would actually be making money back based on their electrical output, as opposed to having to pay a monthly membership fee?

EDIT:  How much electricity could an average person output on a stationary bike by working out for an hour?

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 06:34:22 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2015, 10:57:54 AM by klondike_bar

^theres too much focus on home mining units. As mentioned above, there are three types of buyer:

1) NOVELTY. Anything that produces <100W will never be cost-effective ROI. There is a market for 5000 units, each worth <$150, or <$750,000 total market.

2) Small Investors. The guys who want to quietly operate a miner at home or in the office that stands a good chance of producing a positive return on investment. They will buy 800-3,200W of power consumption (ideally each being around 800W). At ~$400/800W, theres probably a market for 20,000 units, or around $8,000,000.

3) Big Investors. The Farms. The Early Miners. The Centralized. Those with the ability and desire to build more complex cooling/power in order to use anywhere from 10,000W to 10MEGAWatts, These units are efficient, loud, and should be plug-and-play in a typical server rack (likely with a built in PSU).
   Each unit would likely draw >2500W, and might be built with a L6-30 (30amp, 250V) plug. This level of investor (Assume an average 1000x 20kW for the entire group) would probably be spending $10,000 to purchase 20kW - or a market of almost $10,000,000.

Note that the above all being true would mean that ~40MW of equipment would come online from this manufacturer, spread over a span of 3-4months. That would contribute ~80PH (+25% of the current network hashrate, or about +3% to 7 simultaneous difficulty adjustments.) which i think sounds about right, maybe a bit on the high side.

tl;dr 40% of sales is in midsized units, 55% is in industry-standard hardware for scale deployment, and 5% comes from selling novelty miners like USB devices.

thus, there are two good options for SFARDS:
1) build a single device, that uses 400-800W, and can be easily stacked and deployed in large quantities as well as individual sales.
2) build two devices: one that uses 400-800W for smaller miners, and another that is >2500W and rackmounting for the serious investor.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
OgNasty
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 4718
Merit: 4217

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 06:37:57 PM

EDIT:  How much electricity could an average person output on a stationary bike by working out for an hour?

At maximum speed, the most current of these stationary bicycles generates only around 250 watts, or about enough to power 1/2 an S5 while you're sweating away.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
erre
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1205

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 06:38:46 PM

Less fat, more hashing!

Ya!  Pump it people.  Make Daddy some Btc.  Cheesy

Could you then have incentives for people to work out there, where they would actually be making money back based on their electrical output, as opposed to having to pay a monthly membership fee?

EDIT:  How much electricity could an average person output on a stationary bike by working out for an hour?

I think like 0.1 kw (aerobic activity), but i'm not sure. You can also recycle the energy made by others human activities, like dancing, but that would require an apposite floor

Roll a dice FOR FREE every hour, and win up to $200 in btc ---> CLICK HERE

Tip me using the LIGHTING NETWORK! -->https://tippin.me/@Erre96344121
OgNasty
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 4718
Merit: 4217

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 07:00:08 PM

Many pools nowadays have heaters connected to them.  These are basically just boxes with 1.5-3" PVC inlets/outlets that heat water coming out of the pool filter before putting it back in the pool.  The pool water would provide excellent cooling for the miner, and the miner would help keep your pool warmer.

Since it would be located outside, bonus points for wi-fi, solar panels, wind turbine, and a built in bitcoin node.

A potential issue would be that the pool pump isn't pushing water 24/7 through the heater.  For this reason it might need a tank inside of it, with a small pump and blower fan that kick on when the pool isn't providing the flow to push cool water through it.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██