Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 01:47:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What real world situation have you had problems due to 10 minute confirmation?  (Read 1293 times)
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 03:45:09 PM

Yeah, there's this misconception about Bitcoin where some people think they have to wait 10 minutes after buying a cup of coffee with Bitcoin so it shows up on the blockchain as confirmed, because unless it shows up they aren't fully calm about it. What they don't seem to get is credit cards dont confirm instantly, yet everyone uses it.
I would only wait for the full confirmation if I was buying something big like a car, otherwise it's pointless to wait, you just treat it like a mundane credit card transaction.

I think your right. And the credit card example is apt. In fact when you use your card at McDonald's there is no way possible to determine if the transaction is fraudulent. They take the card anyway because it is not cost effective to steal credit cards to pay for a hamburger. Nor is it worth the extreme measure of launching a double spend for that burger.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
cafucafucafu

Activity: 812
Merit: 509

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 04:39:54 PM

I think they may need to use 3rd parties to insure transactions. A Visa for Bitcoin?

Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 04:41:46 PM

Ya, that's why I don't see the confirmation times as that big of a deal.

from my perspective, it is also fine, but for some (ok, majority) non-technically gifted people quite hard to understand, that even it is "unconfirmed transaction" it is done and it is ok..
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2015, 04:43:23 PM

I think they may need to use 3rd parties to insure transactions. A Visa for Bitcoin?

or a Bitpay  Wink

thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 05:04:39 PM

Yeah, there's this misconception about Bitcoin where some people think they have to wait 10 minutes after buying a cup of coffee with Bitcoin so it shows up on the blockchain as confirmed, because unless it shows up they aren't fully calm about it. What they don't seem to get is credit cards dont confirm instantly, yet everyone uses it.
I would only wait for the full confirmation if I was buying something big like a car, otherwise it's pointless to wait, you just treat it like a mundane credit card transaction.

I think your right. And the credit card example is apt. In fact when you use your card at McDonald's there is no way possible to determine if the transaction is fraudulent. They take the card anyway because it is not cost effective to steal credit cards to pay for a hamburger. Nor is it worth the extreme measure of launching a double spend for that burger.

People use credit cards and electronic payments and they have literally no idea what's going on beyond clicking or swaping the card. It actually takes months for a credit card transaction to get confirmed. There have been cases where months later scammers have managed to reverse transactions done months ago. Bitcoin is better than everything.
celebreze32

Activity: 296
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 05:44:47 PM

I had problems waiting for over an hour for one confirmation when I sent Bitcoins to an exchange once. It's highly unusual for a confirmation to take that long, but it did affect me that one time and was extremely frustrating.
Chomsky

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 05:58:46 PM

People make such a fuss of the confirmation times but it's a minor issue if that. Once your coins are sent they're as good as confirmed any way but businesses will use payment procesors so they'll be covered in the unlikely event a double spend occours but how often does that even happen? Seems like something very hard to do.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 06:35:06 PM
Last edit: May 11, 2015, 06:58:16 PM by Amph

i actually don't mind too much the long waiting, unless it becomes more than the average waiting(60 min for 6 confirmations)like above 1 or two hours, i don't like that the time is random, only this irritate me

this especially when i'm sending coin to an exchange because i need to trade at that exact time
numismatist
Legendary

Activity: 1245
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 02:20:19 AM

or a Bitpay  Wink

The better approach. Otherwise people would recognise that they can use a Visa in the first place for stuff, saving some headaches.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: