Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:53:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 »
  Print  
Author Topic: bitfloor needs your help!  (Read 177384 times)
Han

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:20:53 PM

Does Roman have an address for donations? Sorry if it was already posted.

You could always tip him through the bitcoin bot on reddit explained here: http://www.reddit.com/r/bitcointip/comments/13iykn/bitcointip_documentation/

Roman's reddit profile is here: http://www.reddit.com/user/shtylman

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Alonzo Ewing
Legendary

Activity: 1040
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:55:06 AM

Bitfloor turned over $2 million in volume today, yielding commissions of $6000. 
Han

Activity: 40

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:52:32 AM

The silver lining to the DDos attacks on the largest exchanges
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 02:14:03 PM

How do you get the $6,000 figure? Bitfloor charges 0.4% fee on transaction in both directions (so 0.4%*2), but actually pays market makers (people who put up a bid as a price and sit on it), so it's really difficult to predict how much of the volume earned fees and how much lost them.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:29:25 PM

Rassah,

There is always one maker and one taker for every transaction.  So Bitfloor collects 0.4% from the taker, and pays out 0.1% to the maker resulting in 0.3% net fee.  It isn't hard to predict the net fee.  It will always be 0.3% on every tx, every time. 
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 02:43:27 PM

Rassah,

There is always one maker and one taker for every transaction.  So Bitfloor collects 0.4% from the taker, and pays out 0.1% to the maker resulting in 0.3% net fee.  It isn't hard to predict the net fee.  It will always be 0.3% on every tx, every time. 

Ah, thank you.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:37:45 PM

might be time to change the OP title ... "Bitcoin needs bitfloor's help!"

Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1011

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:50:22 PM

I do not know if Bitcoin can take another "theft" of people's bitcoins by people who just dump the proceeds of their theft and drive the price lower.

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 07:24:14 PM

I do not know if Bitcoin can take another "theft" of people's bitcoins by people who just dump the proceeds of their theft and drive the price lower.

Sure it can. It's happened many times before, what's one more?
(Who's money got stolen this time?)
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 10:07:51 PM

In addition, I don't see any evidence that dumping ill-gotten bitcoins is what's causing the falling exchange rate.

Still around.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1011

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:38:26 PM

In addition, I don't see any evidence that dumping ill-gotten bitcoins is what's causing the falling exchange rate.
You misunderstood me (or I was not clear, same effect).   Someone made the statement that BITCOIN needs Bitfloor to save it.   My comment was we do not need another Bitfloor "security" screwup putting MORE bitcoins on the sell side of this market.

EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:10:13 PM

FYI:

" Our servers are experiencing intermittent DDoS attacks. We are trying to resolve the situation for all of our users.

If you are coordinating a DDoS attack, please remember that bitcoin companies are not giant multinationals with huge support staff and computers. We are all involved because we want to see bitcoin succeed.

- Roman "

Link: https://status.bitfloor.com/

¢A$HÅ

Activity: 37

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 09:54:56 PM

FYI:

" Our servers are experiencing intermittent DDoS attacks. We are trying to resolve the situation for all of our users.

If you are coordinating a DDoS attack, please remember that bitcoin companies are not giant multinationals with huge support staff and computers. We are all involved because we want to see bitcoin succeed.

- Roman "

Link: https://status.bitfloor.com/
Thoughtful of Roman to have this status page, but this does not help when they give no indication as to when they last updated the status.

Was it a week ago? Yesterday? 10 minutes ago? 1 month ago? 1 year?
MOB

Activity: 493
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 09:21:56 PM

There is the following message on the announcement banner at BitFloor:

Trading will be suspended at 6 PM EST on 2013.04.17. We ask that all users finish any trades they wish to complete and cancel any open trades.

Seems oddly vague.  Suspended indefinitely?  For 12 hours?  Is this a server upgrade, or what?
epetroel

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 09:27:04 PM

There is the following message on the announcement banner at BitFloor:

Trading will be suspended at 6 PM EST on 2013.04.17. We ask that all users finish any trades they wish to complete and cancel any open trades.

Seems oddly vague.  Suspended indefinitely?  For 12 hours?  Is this a server upgrade, or what?

See here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179135.0

Seems their bank account was closed and they will be suspending operations until they can get a new one.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 10:35:02 PM

From http://BitFloor.com:

All trading is currently suspended.

I am sorry to announce that due to circumstances outside of our control BitFloor must cease all trading operations indefinitely. Unfortunately, our US bank account is scheduled to be closed and we can no longer provide the same level of USD deposits and withdrawals as we have in the past. As such, I have made the decision to halt operations and return all funds.

Over the next days we will be working with all clients to ensure that everyone receives their funds. Please be patient as we process your request.

- Roman
founder - bitfloor.com

Related threads:

Bitfloor trading suspended
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179198.

Bitfloor Shutting Down?
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179152.0

Bitflloor: " Trading will be suspended at 6 PM EST on 2013.04.17."
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179168.0

bitfloor issues?
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179135.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:19:00 PM

Ugly, the jackboot of banking begins to reveal itself.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:21:55 PM

As much as I regret the post I am about to write I feel that it is only fair and holding to the spirit of BitFloor that I disclose everything that is going on and make the information available. Please read the entirety of the post. As always, if you have any questions please post them here versus contacting support so that other users may benefit from the answer (unless it is private).

Last night, a few of our servers were compromised. As a result, the attacker gained accesses to an unencrypted backup of the wallet keys (the actual keys live in an encrypted area). Using these keys they were able to transfer the coins. This attack took the vast majority of the coins BitFloor was holding on hand. As a result, I have paused all exchange operations. Even tho only a small majority of the coins are ever in use at any time, I felt it inappropriate to continue operating not having the capability to cover all account balances for BTC at the time.

Due to the serious nature of what has happened I am currently evaluating options for BitFloor. One of the last things I want to happen is for BitFloor to shutdown and cause more panic in the bitcoin community. The platform itself is very valuable and provides an important and friendly service to many users.
BitFloor is very much focused on the end user and creating a reliable and trusted platform for everyone. Through exchange user support, I can continue to operate BitFloor. I believe that posting the exchange source and being even more transparent about operations would be a step in this direction if we were to continue operating. BitFloor is currently the #4 USD exchange and #1 in the US.

As a last resort, I will be forced to fully shut BitFloor down and initiate account repayment using current available funds. I still have all of the logs for accounts, trades, transfers. I know exactly how much each user currently has in their account for both USD and BTC. No records were lost in this attack.

I realize that saying that I appreciate everyone's understanding is a moot point, however I do wish to re-iterate that my goal is to find the best and most reasonable way forward for BitFloor customers and the exchange and not create more panic that the community has already seen time and time again.

I would like to keep this thread focused on evaluating ideas of BitFloor operation and will create a separate thread for discussion (see below) about the actual transactions and tracing the coin theft. I will not speak at detail about the actual breach at this time as my current focus is on the future and not the past.

In the intrest of information for tracking stolen coins:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=105819.0

~Roman

Wow so they are closing up shop for a second time.

You guys learn your lessons yet?

I certainly won't touch a US-based bitcoin exchange ever. Until the trust factor has been built up over time.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:29:40 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2013, 01:40:25 AM by Entropy-uc

As much as I regret the post I am about to write I feel that it is only fair and holding to the spirit of BitFloor that I disclose everything that is going on and make the information available. Please read the entirety of the post. As always, if you have any questions please post them here versus contacting support so that other users may benefit from the answer (unless it is private).

Last night, a few of our servers were compromised. As a result, the attacker gained accesses to an unencrypted backup of the wallet keys (the actual keys live in an encrypted area). Using these keys they were able to transfer the coins. This attack took the vast majority of the coins BitFloor was holding on hand. As a result, I have paused all exchange operations. Even tho only a small majority of the coins are ever in use at any time, I felt it inappropriate to continue operating not having the capability to cover all account balances for BTC at the time.

Due to the serious nature of what has happened I am currently evaluating options for BitFloor. One of the last things I want to happen is for BitFloor to shutdown and cause more panic in the bitcoin community. The platform itself is very valuable and provides an important and friendly service to many users.
BitFloor is very much focused on the end user and creating a reliable and trusted platform for everyone. Through exchange user support, I can continue to operate BitFloor. I believe that posting the exchange source and being even more transparent about operations would be a step in this direction if we were to continue operating. BitFloor is currently the #4 USD exchange and #1 in the US.

As a last resort, I will be forced to fully shut BitFloor down and initiate account repayment using current available funds. I still have all of the logs for accounts, trades, transfers. I know exactly how much each user currently has in their account for both USD and BTC. No records were lost in this attack.

I realize that saying that I appreciate everyone's understanding is a moot point, however I do wish to re-iterate that my goal is to find the best and most reasonable way forward for BitFloor customers and the exchange and not create more panic that the community has already seen time and time again.

I would like to keep this thread focused on evaluating ideas of BitFloor operation and will create a separate thread for discussion (see below) about the actual transactions and tracing the coin theft. I will not speak at detail about the actual breach at this time as my current focus is on the future and not the past.

In the intrest of information for tracking stolen coins:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=105819.0

~Roman

Wow so they are closing up shop for a second time.

You guys learn your lessons yet?

I certainly won't touch a US-based bitcoin exchange ever. Until the trust factor has been built up over time.

I am shocked, SHOCKED to hear that people are having their money seized by Bitfloor once again.

Who could have seen this coming?
alkhdaniel

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:50:11 PM

Any information on people from outside US with USD in bitfloor, is it bye bye?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 »
  Print  

Jump to: