Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:27:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Refashioning mining sections  (Read 486 times)
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 01:08:08 AM

This has become a competition thread instead of a hardware thread now. If you wish to do that please open another thread in the appropriate section of the forum and return this thread to its former state or I'll be obliged to move the whole thread there myself which would be a loss of the hardware discussion.

I'm guessing we all would hope moving this. I think moving it is best solution.  I really hope we don't start over a 2nd time, and become the 3'rd time to start.

Please SFards ask to get this moved so we can continue.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 01:15:17 AM

While were are taking about the repurposing of threads in HARDWARE...

CK can you move all the Antminer / Avalon SUPPORT threads to the MINING SUPPORT section?

Since we are talking about whole threads being not really about HARDWARE anymore.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 01:58:18 AM

CK can you move all the Antminer / Avalon SUPPORT threads to the MINING SUPPORT section?

Since we are talking about whole threads being not really about HARDWARE anymore.
No. Without a dedicated hardware support section, it's flexible enough for hardware announcements and discussions to turn into support threads, even though there is obviously then crossover with the mining support section. Competitions have previously been problematic though and I'd rather avoid that mistake again. The mining subsections are historical in development and no longer ideal but despite discussing this many times over we've been unable to come to something where the demarcation is clear enough to warrant a respin. I'm happy to discuss it again in meta/ if you wish to.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 03:07:30 AM

No. Without a dedicated hardware support section, it's flexible enough for hardware announcements and discussions to turn into support threads, even though there is obviously then crossover with the mining support section. Competitions have previously been problematic though and I'd rather avoid that mistake again. The mining subsections are historical in development and no longer ideal but despite discussing this many times over we've been unable to come to something where the demarcation is clear enough to warrant a respin. I'm happy to discuss it again in meta/ if you wish to.

That be better can you cut and paste this out there to Meta since this is off topic?

I see a complete first page of Hardware dedicated to 1 fabricator support questions (Mining Support). Customers reviews are also off topic if we really want to get at the heart of the problem so are reviews of fabricators.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 08:53:39 AM

Exactly. You see what happens when one of the discussion threads isn't on the main page; people make new threads instead. Concentrating 3000 posts of technical help and expertise into one thread is far better than having 1500 separate threads per product which helps no one.

What SFards is doing is a competition and was treated the same as all others before it. And before the shill accounts / bick say it, no I didn't report the thread, and I don't know if CK responded to a report or actioned it organically.

I see a complete first page of Hardware dedicated to 1 fabricator support questions (Mining Support).
How does that look any different to mining support? If we don't actively push resources under their noses, people are going to post where they think its best to, not where we want them to. And that goes back to concentrated support threads being required in hardware if you don't want it to become a shitstorm of questions.

Customers reviews are also off topic
How are customer reviews... of hardware... off topic to hardware? Of course spamming 20x reviews on the same product for visibility is not constructive and should be hyper-linked from one thread, that's not being debated. And lets not dance around the issue, you're just trying to attack me again. You've already got 3 threads (including 1 self moderated) dedicated to that Roll Eyes.

Sfards

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 10:43:34 AM

Hey guys, we know the rules now, we will pay more attention in the next time! Wink
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 11:01:25 AM

Hey guys, we know the rules now, we will pay more attention in the next time! Wink

Good attitude. Also, I don't think its a bad idea to leave things which possibly shouldn't be in hardware long term, to get a soak in hardware. For example the 2 days or so that the competition spent in hardware was perfectly fine and allowed it to get attention from the correct people.

kilo17
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

aka "whocares"

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 04:46:58 AM

I disagree with moving the thread-- I think it was a thread to promote hardware designs and foster new ideas.  The contest was nothing more than to stimulate the conversation - Since there isn't a bunch of new hardware on the horizon, I think it is a perfect place to discuss it and by placing it somewhere else it becomes a contest and not a discussion --

Bitcoin Will Only Succeed If The Community That Supports It Gets Support - Support Home Miners & Mining
kilo17
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

aka "whocares"

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 04:49:42 AM

How is this thread considered Hardware - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=976450.0 - a thread about a company buying miners is hardly a discussion about Hardware --- and there are plenty of other examples

Bitcoin Will Only Succeed If The Community That Supports It Gets Support - Support Home Miners & Mining
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: