Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:53:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Still a bit confused after a whole weekend of reading..  (Read 648 times)
PropaTings (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 12:23:39 AM

Hi guys i seem to have a grip of how things work but i still have a few minor questions i could do with some help with.

ive never bought bitcoins before but i am about to invest in £50 worth for some purchases i have in mind, im uk based.

my understanding is that intersango exchange has no uk deposit option as things stand as metro bank has terminated there account?, has the same fate not befallen mtgox ?

i spoke to mtg support who seemed happy for me to make a deposit in cash at any barclays bank but im worried my funds may get tied up or lost as i dont fully understand what is happening to intersango and fear it may happen to mtg ?

also once i have converted my balance to bitcoins at an exchange how quick and easy is the process of moving the bitcoins to a seperate wallet ? and is it really neccessary to have a dedicated ewallet if i will be moving the coins out of the exchange immiediately anyway ? im not terribly tech savvy so im trying to keep this process as easy and quick as possible..  
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 12:44:23 AM

I can't answer the questions about exchanges from a UK perspective as I'm in Aus.
I've had no trouble with MtGox from here though. (well.. minor bank transfer issues sorted out in reasonable time)

For most exchanges I believe withdrawal of BTC is as simple as entering a bitcoin address and transferring your coins. Generally only takes minutes or less.

For a bitcoin wallet I'd recommend http://blockchain.info/wallet
It works in such a way that their web service doesn't actually have access to your unencrypted keys. (when you type your password, it decrypts it on your computer)
Make sure you either print out a paper wallet as a backup, or email a backup to yourself (which is also encrypted).

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: