Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:06:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Vcoin sha256 pow  (Read 54978 times)
crunck
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

crunck

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 10:30:11 AM

Me and gjhiggins will do the best to forward vcoin : I will update the op soon..
Vcoin just start.!

That's great news then and well done you.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 01:30:57 PM

So Graham you have linked up with the OP dev and are helping to move this coin forward ?

Yes I am but I'd be hesitant to describe it as “linked up”, I'm mostly providing free advice (NB. of legendary worth).

Seems as though some background is in order ...

To summarise, Chris took the initiative originally and did the bitcointalk community a favour by re-posting to bitcointalk the cryptocointalk ANN for vcoin. The OP's motivation for creating the coin in the first place is not known.

Not-entirely-unrelatedly, I maintain a comprehensive catalogue of altcoin metadata which (since about March 2014) necessitates me checking out every single altcoin that is launched/announced. Over the course of my peregrinations, I’ve developed a habit of making contributions to nascent altcoins where I think it might actually be useful, usually as a quid pro quo for me being lucky enough to grab a few early blocks from an overlooked coin before the diff rises above 0.01 (the effective limit for my laptop). But mostly I appreciate the positive camaraderie that seems to result from the group’s focus on getting the coin stabilised. (Incidentally, does anyone have news of shadow_runner?)

It seemed clear to me that Chris had found himself in the driving seat, possibly to his slight surprise but was nevertheless intending to try and make a decent fist of it. He set up a crowdfunding project to cover the cost of a full-time node which I considered to be an eminently sensible community-oriented approach. He also caught some undeserved flak for the OP's inadequate graphics and I thought I'd lend a hand, re-doing the logo in SVG and refreshing the icons. I chucked in the diffplot code partly in supportive recognition of his stepping up to the plate, partly 'cos it looks cool in the wallet but mostly because it's useful data for the early adopter (okay, I've found it useful).

So, the motivation for my involvement is primarily collegial, a common phenomenon in experimental fields.

Chris PM'd me a few queries about technical issues, I was able to opine. But it did prompt me to scope out possible intermediate futures for the coin. There is some low-hanging fruit that could be plucked and scoffed without leaving the community to cope with a disproportionate amount of technical debt. Because VCoin is a straight clone with almost no changes other than the parameters/variables, reconnecting it to its cloneparent commit history is basically a click'n'drool job if you have the right tool (meld 1.8.4).

In another thread, some time ago, I posted details of my approach. I'll include the post here for convenience just to provide some detail for the context of my “contribution”. I've left it unedited in order to preserve necessary contextual detail:

gjhiggins, can you tell by the code in the zip if the technology he claims the coin will use actually exists?

There's no evidence of that in the contents of the zip archive. The contents are Godcoin with user-facing strings changed to read “Achilles”, with only the absolutely key parameters changed (rpcport, genesisblock, etc). The only significant functional changes to the codebase are a bigger premine and larger block rewards.

The pastebin listing that I posted contains all the differences between ZenGodcoin source code and ZenAchilles source code.

I found it notable how few differences are actually required to separate one functioning altcoin from another.

If you'd like to take a gander yourself, if only to see what I'm blithering on about, there is a technique which helps. When I put an altcoin under the microscope the first thing I do is use a little Python script I wrote to rebrand the coin as Zencoin (ZENZ). I did this with Godcoin and Achilles, giving me ZenGodcoin and ZenAchilles.

I then compare the two directories and their contents, side-by-side, using a visual diff and merge tool: http://meldmerge.org/. It gives a very clear and accessible visual presentation of differences in directory structure and between files.

What the hey, lets have some piccies ...

Here's a screenshot of ZencoinGodcoin vs ZencoinAchilles:

Meld allows me to double-click the blue-lit names to show the content side-by-side. In a moment, we'll have a look at the differences in base58.h but first I need to draw your attention to the left-and-right vertical navigation scrollers - the coloured blocks show the location of pairs of files that differ. In the directory-level presentation, one coloured block = one filepair. In the above listing, a total of eight (8!) changed files is sufficient to create a functionally distinct altcoin.

There's a similar vertical nav scroller for the file-level presentation and again, coloured bars (a single line differing in content) or coloured blocks (several contiguous lines of code differing). Not too challenging I hope but an illustration should be, er, well, illuminating ...

Here's a screenshot of the one-and-only difference between godcoin/src/base58.h and achilles/src/base58.h:

That's it.

That's the difference which shows up as a blue block in the directory-level display.

Pretty much the same goes for all but a few of the rest of the blue-lit files, e.g. here's a screenshot of the (again, one-and-only) difference between godcoin/src/net.cpp and achilles/src/net.cpp:

I re-ran diff configured to output just the minimum context (filename and line no) for clarity - these are the only differences:
http://pastebin.com/dWht3JRu

And (for eyewatering completeness) files matching the patterns below were excluded from the comparison:
Code:
$ cat notthese
*.qm
*.ts
*.png
*.jpg
*.svg
*.o
*~
*.ico
*.icns

In essence, my workflow runs as follows:
Code:
$ git clone http://github.com/foo/bazcoin.git
$ cd bazcoin
$ rm -rf .git*  # don't need it
$ ln -s bazcoin-qt.pro coin-qt.pro  # allows meld comparison
$ grep 'BTC' src/qt/bitcoinunits.cpp  # what units were actually coded?
$ grep -r BAZZA src/  # ensure no clash with source code
$ ../omm.exe BazCoin BAZZA # use XYZZY to suppress symbol replacement if it'd muck up the source code
$ cd ..
$ meld bazcoin godcoin

If you feel up to it, you can have a go yourself. We've set up a bitbucket repository that you can use:
https://bitbucket.org/minkizmates/zencoin.git

There's a small collection of zenified coins (incl godcoin and achilles) for use when comparing with fresh candidates along with the “omm.exe” Python script to create Zencoins:
https://bitbucket.org/minkizmates/zencoin/src

meld will usefully show 3 sources side-by-side, viewing recently-launched elitecoin, fusecoin and sumcoin side-by-side is quite instructive in showing how little they differ.

HTH

Cheers

Graham

Edited for sense

https://bitbucket.org/minkizmates/zencoin/src/d09edc2fd3737e3f439bdd16803d0dba1f15bb3b/omm.exe?at=master

To recap, I used the above Python script to rebrand VCoin as ZenCoin, I used the same script to rebrand ZetaCoin 0.8.2 as ZenCoin too.

I then used meld to compare the two codebases side by side. Rebranding to a common name suppresses naming differences and reveals just the differences in variable bindings, parameter settings and changes to the code functionality. I inspected the differences between VCoin and ZetaCoin 0.8.2 and found them unexceptional, restricted to just the economic parameters and key differentiating variables such as pchMessageStart, et al. Once I was satisfied that VCoin was devoid of nasty surprises, I junked the zenified coins, checked out a fresh copy of Zetacoin, created a vcoin branch and overwrote the source with VCoin:

cd vcoin; rm -rf .git; tar cf - . | (cd ../zetacoin; tar xf -)

Because VCoin is an open source project, I am comfortable using SmartGit as a my click'n'drool tool to work my way through, committing the (vcoin) parameter changes (and the handful of other changes required for the diffplot feature).

End result is: either “a branch of the latest version of 0.8.x ZetaCoin, rebranded as VCoin” or “a version of VCoin upgraded to Zetacoin 0.8.7.99”, whichever way you want to look at it.

That isn't the most recent version of ZetaCoin though, ZetaCoin has been ported to Bitcoin Core 0.9.2. That 8->9 major version change denotes significant changes in the codebase. The meld listing is nearly all blue, just about everything has changed. Fortunately, there is a bit of wiggle room: the differences between ZetaCoin 0.8 and VCoin 0.8 are restricted to just parameter and variable changes. The difference between ZetaCoin 0.8 and 0.9.2 is in the parameters and that also characterises the difference between a VCoin rebranding of Zetacoin 0.8 and a VCoin rebranding of Zetacoin 0.9. In principle, all I need to do is copy over the parameters/variable bindings and Bob's your uncle.

After that, we're on our own. And there is a ways to go yet, ZetaCoin is a major version behind Bitcoin Core which is now at 0.10 (and notes for 0.11 are already appearing in the commit descriptions). Fortunately I have, for my own porpoises, developed a template-based approach for re-branding a Bitcoin Core 0.[9|10] codebase. As you might infer, it really only works for straightforward clones ... like VCoin Smiley

So, in theory, all I need to do is plug in the parameters and out will pop an upgraded VCoin, the first altcoin to be based on Bitcoin Core 0.10.2.

And, I need not write a single line of C++ ... which means people can sleep more soundly in their beds (mainly, me).

It is important to recognise that the current performance of VCoin is felicitous and entirely due to its selection of parameters and an unchanged Bitcoin core functionality. A VCoin based on Bitcoin 0.10.2 may well have those same properties, assuming that Bitcoin Core 0.10.2 behaves as smoothly as Bitcoin 0.8.2.

I'd prefer to break new ground and for VCoin not to have “a dev” in the conventional altcoin sense. I'd expect some members of the community with a technical interest to engage at a technical level, others may seek to develop technical skills. At least, that's my expectation based on experience elsewhere. It definitely shouldn't be formalised, that's my sense.

So, that's the technical landscape according to my perceptions.

There are some profound issues related to community ownership and control of the private key that authorises the broadcast of CAlert messages, that's something that unfortunately cannot be crowdsourced, we'll just have to be innovative about it. A technical solution is infeasible, we are obliged to seek a social solution to the problem. However, whatever we come up with will also be invaluable as a solution for other instances of the same problem of establishing community ownership of resources in a plausibly decentralised way.

As ever, this is a p2p application and depends crucially on community consensus of action in that it's entirely up to the community to adopt a change to the current implementation or to choose not to, whether it's an upgrade to a more recent version, fancier graphics, additional services or whatever.

My experience is that by and large, people learn fairly quickly to identify those whose technical advice is worth taking seriously, i.e. advice from a stable core of technically knowledgeable people who can describe in accessible terms the options and tradeoffs.

As Mark Twain once wrote: I apologise for the length of this letter, had I more time it would have been shorter.

Cheers

Graham
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 01:44:29 PM

Personally I am all for long term investment and development.

Great post! I'm responding in some detail but I'm taking some time over it, so with luck it'll be less prolix.

Cheers

Graham
crunck
Legendary

crunck

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 04:17:51 PM

Personally I am all for long term investment and development.

Great post! I'm responding in some detail but I'm taking some time over it, so with luck it'll be less prolix.

Cheers

Graham

Wow Graham, I have to admit when I saw you had replied, and I noted the length of the post the first thing I did was pop out to the kitchen and make a cup of coffee.

I have to say that as un-intentional as I suspect it was on your part, that has to be one of the best "White Papers" of a sort, I have seen.

Not only is it welcoming to see a mature adult in these forums, but one that actually comes across as giving a damn, and well done you on that front.

As I said earlier I had a feeling about this coin, and it was down to the fact that the original post was so poor and not like the others graphically wise that it quite simply could not have been an attempt at a "Get Rich Quick Scam" because more effort would have been involved.

I shall be watching this coin and mining it, and please if I can help in anyway just let me know, I'm not a code wizard, but do have the Mining Pool, and the dice games etc, and access to several servers.

Thanks

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
crunck
Legendary

crunck

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 04:37:38 PM

Also I note http://vcoin.meisterpool.org/ is dead so perhaps remove from OP.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
jc12345
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1013

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 12:46:07 AM

I have updated the bootstrap.dat file to block 38558. The bootstrap.dat file contains the blockchain up to a certain block and can be used to significantly speed up the blockchain sync of a new wallet install by importing the blocks from the file instead of other peers. Copy the bootstrap.dat file to the same folder where your wallet.dat is and open the client. The file works on both Linux and Windows.

Here are the links. Please verify the checksums first to make sure that the file downloaded ok.

Link to bootstrap.dat (native file) (16MB)
Link to bootstrap.dat (.tar.gz) (7MB)
Link to checksums.txt
chrisvl (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1006

Trainman

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 02:22:29 PM

To op added updated source code. Updated wallets comming soon  however there is no problem to use the old source code + wallets

gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2015, 01:46:53 AM

To op added updated source code. Updated wallets comming soon  however there is no problem to use the old source code + wallets

There is a potential path that may not involve extensive re-coding: ZetaCoin-0.8.99 -> ZetaCoin-0.9.2 -> Bitcoin-0.9.2 and from there to Bitcoin 0.10.

A short progress report.

I have successfully upgraded VCoin as a fork of ZetaCoin 0.9.2. This basically involved re-re-branding Zetacoin as VCoin and transcribing the relevant parameter setting and variable bindings.

VCoin 0.9.2 is an upgrade, just download and use.

Testnet has been enabled.

The UI has been augmented slightly via the adaptation of existing code; an in-wallet block & tx explorer, an IRC chat window and a mining page (needs work). In development is a couple of BittrexBleutrade-specific tabs, a trading page and a market stats presentation, both driven by Bleutrade's almost-JSON API.

When I'm done, I'll push the code up to github.

Cheers

Graham
jc12345
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 01:54:30 AM

There is a potential path that may not involve extensive re-coding: ZetaCoin-0.8.99 -> ZetaCoin-0.9.2 -> Bitcoin-0.9.2 and from there to Bitcoin 0.10.

A short progress report.

I have successfully upgraded VCoin as a fork of ZetaCoin 0.9.2. This basically involved re-re-branding Zetacoin as VCoin and transcribing the relevant parameter setting and variable bindings.

VCoin 0.9.2 is an upgrade, just download and use.

Testnet has been enabled.

The UI has been augmented slightly via the adaptation of existing code; an in-wallet block & tx explorer, an IRC chat window and a mining page (needs work). In development is a couple of BittrexBleutrade-specific tabs, a trading page and a market stats presentation, both driven by Bleutrade's almost-JSON API.

Cheers

Graham

Excellent thanks.
crunck
Legendary

crunck

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 09:10:49 AM

Great stuff, and well done Smiley

Look forward to seeing further development

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
jc12345
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 09:56:23 AM

Please post here when you have pushed the new code.
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 02:32:06 PM

An even shorter progress report ... feel free to play with VCoin 0.9.2.2 prerelease on testnet:

https://github.com/gjhiggins/vcoin09

It’s not exactly “done” in that it's not yet up to release candidate standard but at least it gives people something to play with in the interim. The migration from 0.9.x to 10.x is quite taxing and a successful upgrade to 0.9 will be a useful staging-post, I feel.

The default clone is set to the prerelease, this is FOR TESTNET ONLY. It's a soft fork, so it does sync to mainnet BUT it's not been tested, so NOT RECOMMENDED FOR MAINNET.

There are remaining issues, the most important of which is:

THE EXCHANGE TRADING TAB HAS NOT BEEN TESTED

In order to have reliable and reproducible tests, I'll need to create mock responses to calls on Bleutrade's API. The upgrade will only get released for general use when all the API tests pass.

There are several feature branches in which the individual features were developed and later merged into the prerelease version. The graphic shows what's different (apart from the enhancements accruing from just the upgrade from 0.8.x to 0.9.x.

The master branch is pretty much the basic upgrade to 0.9.2 with “just” the addition of the in-tab block explorer and a misconceived installation of an implementation of the IRC tab that actually opens a separate window instead, an infelicity which is addressed in the prerelease version.)

There are indeed two different in-wallet block explorer implementations, feel free to choose/vote for the most useful/attractive, whatever floats the boat.

The content of the “News” tab simply indicates “available functionality”. Basically, the tab gets web content from a hard-coded URL. Obviously this is a point of centralisation at the moment but it doesn't have to be that way for ever.

An opportunity for all to consider: what user-oriented advantages might accrue from the addition of a News tab? Please spend a little while thinking on or around this subject, perhaps from your own perspective as a coin user ... but do feel free to allow your imagination to venture further abroad if that suits.

Please feel free to create issues for any problems (https://github.com/gjhiggins/vcoin09/issues), the discussions that happen in an active repos form a valuable technical comms channel for any altcoin and VCoin is no exception.

I will try to maintain a consistent IRC presence for a while as a temporary measure of support. My laptop has a habit of rebooting at random intervals (an issue somewhere in the 8Gb of RAM I guess) and I'll have to remember to reconnect, so some patience may be required.

As ever, comments, observations, questions, critiques, are all welcome.

Cheers

Graham

jc12345
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 03:29:40 PM

An even shorter progress report ... feel free to play with VCoin 0.9.2.2 prerelease on testnet:

https://github.com/gjhiggins/vcoin09

It’s not exactly “done” in that it's not yet up to release candidate standard but at least it gives people something to play with in the interim. The migration from 0.9.x to 10.x is quite taxing and a successful upgrade to 0.9 will be a useful staging-post, I feel.

The default clone is set to the prerelease, this is FOR TESTNET ONLY. It's a soft fork, so it does sync to mainnet BUT it's not been tested, so NOT RECOMMENDED FOR MAINNET.

There are remaining issues, the most important of which is:

THE EXCHANGE TRADING TAB HAS NOT BEEN TESTED

In order to have reliable and reproducible tests, I'll need to create mock responses to calls on Bleutrade's API. The upgrade will only get released for general use when all the API tests pass.

There are several feature branches in which the individual features were developed and later merged into the prerelease version. The graphic shows what's different (apart from the enhancements accruing from just the upgrade from 0.8.x to 0.9.x.

The master branch is pretty much the basic upgrade to 0.9.2 with “just” the addition of the in-tab block explorer and a misconceived installation of an implementation of the IRC tab that actually opens a separate window instead, an infelicity which is addressed in the prerelease version.)

There are indeed two different in-wallet block explorer implementations, feel free to choose/vote for the most useful/attractive, whatever floats the boat.

The content of the “News” tab simply indicates “available functionality”. Basically, the tab gets web content from a hard-coded URL. Obviously this is a point of centralisation at the moment but it doesn't have to be that way for ever.

An opportunity for all to consider: what user-oriented advantages might accrue from the addition of a News tab? Please spend a little while thinking on or around this subject, perhaps from your own perspective as a coin user ... but do feel free to allow your imagination to venture further abroad if that suits.

Please feel free to create issues for any problems (https://github.com/gjhiggins/vcoin09/issues), the discussions that happen in an active repos form a valuable technical comms channel for any altcoin and VCoin is no exception.

I will try to maintain a consistent IRC presence for a while as a temporary measure of support. My laptop has a habit of rebooting at random intervals (an issue somewhere in the 8Gb of RAM I guess) and I'll have to remember to reconnect, so some patience may be required.

As ever, comments, observations, questions, critiques, are all welcome.

Cheers

Graham

Thanks Graham this is very good work that you are doing. Regarding news - it is a bells and whistle that is not really needed as one can obtain news anywhere on the Internet. The wallet must have the core as close to reference and vanilla as possible. If BTC wallet has news fine and if not then drop the news.
chrisvl (OP)
Legendary

Trainman

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2015, 07:11:25 PM

I have setup a twitter account follow vcoin https://twitter.com/vcoinx

crunck
Legendary

crunck

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 07:52:10 PM

U Mine is following you, and a good job, we need more news and information on this project......

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
chrisvl (OP)
Legendary

Trainman

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2015, 02:40:27 PM

Vcoin added to coinmarketcap http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/vcoin/

gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 12:22:51 PM

VCoin upgrade to Bitcoin Core 0.11

A bit of a first, the upgrade to 0.11 (master) is pretty much complete (with the exception of a transcription error or two here'n'there, soon to be resolved).

https://github.com/gjhiggins/vcoincore

w.r.t. branches: vcoin-core is basic vanilla (as near as makes no difference) and vcoin-core.features.prerelease is the bundle of vanilla + branch features for overall kicking-of-the-tyres).

See it run, click the buttons. As suggested, it's 99.99% rebranded Bitcoin Core 0.11 which, even if I say so myself, has been done with surgical precision in order to present the lowest possible impedance to merged upstream development.  

But clicking the buttons is all you can do atm, will not sync with anything other than another 0.11 vcoin-core node 'cos none of the 0.8/9 nodes can speak the new (improved blockheader) protocol.

I have successfully compiled it on both Ubuntu 14.04 and 13.10 with the following command-line sequence:

Code:
$ ./autogen.sh
$ ./configure --with-incompatible-bdb --with-gui=qt5
$ ./make

For running the node, my working practice atm is start VCoin 0.9 and wait till it syncs. Then shut it down and create a copy of the datadir to use with the 0.11 upgrade:

Code:
$ cp -R ~/.vcoin /tmp/vcoincore
$ ./src/qt/vcoin-qt -testnet -datadir=/tmp/vcoincore

The 0.11 node will/should pick up the testnet and the Minkiz node will be showing up in the “Console->Peers” list plus a handful of other nodes. T'others will gradually get banned, leaving just the Minkiz node.

For extra thrills, omit the “-testnet” ... an 0.11 node will read a fresh mainnet blockchain (although it argues with the 0.8/9 clients over the indexing) and it’s safe enough if using a different datadir - obligatory promissory screenshot:

Minkiz' domain is (atm) hard-wired as a DNSSeed node (minkiz.co). If you have strenuous objections to this arrogant centralisation (I know I would/do) then I direct your attention to the fact that the crowdsourced campaign for a community-owned node has to date received the grand total of 0 USD. Contributions of additional IP addresses / hostnames of stable VCoin nodes as advertised DNSSeeds are welcome, especially so if they arrive as github PRs.

Cheers

Graham
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 03:03:36 PM
Last edit: June 12, 2015, 03:16:20 PM by gjhiggins

I forgot to preface my post with “A short progress report”.

In the 0.9/10/11 series, nearly all of the network-related coin- and chain-specific parameters such as pchMessageStart, pszTimeStamp, rpcport, etc. have been migrated out of the codebase and into a separate file: “chainparams.cpp”. This approach was introduced late in the 0.8 series and one side-effect of this rationalisation is that it allows the coin to be (comparatively) cleanly migrated across upgrades. In VCoin's case, the elderly codebase of the OP meant that this marshalling task had to be done from scratch, hence the preliminary port to 0.9 as a means of establishing --- and, importantly, testing --- the VCoin-specific content of the chainparams file.

The net result of this is that the process of creating a parameter-variant clone of Bitcoin Core 0.11 is made vastly more controllable. As this is a p2p project, m’peers may appreciate a walk-through.

1. Clone the code: git clone https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin
2. Create a “vcoin” branch and check it out as the working space
3. Change each implicated instance of the string “Bitcoin” to “VCoin”, observing both case and word boundary conditions and not changing every single instance of CBitcoinAddressString into, e.g. CCrapcoinAddressString throughout the codebase (okay, it technically won’t/shouldn’t affect the execution but even so, yuk).
4. Copy chainparams.cpp from VCoin 0.9, adjust to reflect the upstream re-factorisation that was done between 0.9 and 0.11.
5. Compile
6. Run tests, commit the re-branding and the re-parameterisation, job done.

It’s not quite as straightforward as that, there are a few scattered parameters/variables also to be changed but it’s a closely-defined task and hence relatively trivial to perform programmatically.

Now that I have all the required values, I shall repeat the walkthrough and replace the vcoincore repos with the cleaned-up version which tracks the upstream release schedule, i.e. offering a vcoincore-0.11 release as well as a vcoincore-master.

In this instance, a hardfork would manifest itself as the blockchain splitting into a vcoincore blockchain mined only by 0.11 nodes and a vcoin blockchain mined only by 0.8 nodes.

It is up to the community to prefer one codebase over another. It would be collegial to canvass Bleutrade’s perception and publish it here. I'm given to understand that certain recent developments in the Bitcoin codebase are quite significant in terms of developing new services.

In essence, the only notable differences between Bitcoin Core 0.11 and VCoin Core 0.11 are that VCoin offers 1bn coins vs Bitcoin’s 21m, a block reward of 50 VCN vs 1000 BTC and a block time of 30s vs Bitcoin’s 600s. That's about it, not even the halving schedule differs.

Keeping it this tight opens up the possibility of a later rebase to BitcoinX (assuming no significant regression involved).

There is just one small piece of legacy Zetacoin code to be integrated but I've yet to properly understand its role in the model.

Cheers

Graham
chrisvl (OP)
Legendary

Trainman

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2015, 11:08:45 PM

VCoin upgrade to Bitcoin Core 0.11

A bit of a first, the upgrade to 0.11 (master) is pretty much complete (with the exception of a transcription error or two here'n'there, soon to be resolved).

https://github.com/gjhiggins/vcoincore

w.r.t. branches: vcoin-core is basic vanilla (as near as makes no difference) and vcoin-core.features.prerelease is the bundle of vanilla + branch features for overall kicking-of-the-tyres).

See it run, click the buttons. As suggested, it's 99.99% rebranded Bitcoin Core 0.11 which, even if I say so myself, has been done with surgical precision in order to present the lowest possible impedance to merged upstream development.  

But clicking the buttons is all you can do atm, will not sync with anything other than another 0.11 vcoin-core node 'cos none of the 0.8/9 nodes can speak the new (improved blockheader) protocol.

I have successfully compiled it on both Ubuntu 14.04 and 13.10 with the following command-line sequence:

Code:
$ ./autogen.sh
$ ./configure --with-incompatible-bdb --with-gui=qt5
$ ./make

For running the node, my working practice atm is start VCoin 0.9 and wait till it syncs. Then shut it down and create a copy of the datadir to use with the 0.11 upgrade:

Code:
$ cp -R ~/.vcoin /tmp/vcoincore
$ ./src/qt/vcoin-qt -testnet -datadir=/tmp/vcoincore

The 0.11 node will/should pick up the testnet and the Minkiz node will be showing up in the “Console->Peers” list plus a handful of other nodes. T'others will gradually get banned, leaving just the Minkiz node.

For extra thrills, omit the “-testnet” ... an 0.11 node will read a fresh mainnet blockchain (although it argues with the 0.8/9 clients over the indexing) and it’s safe enough if using a different datadir - obligatory promissory screenshot:

Minkiz' domain is (atm) hard-wired as a DNSSeed node (minkiz.co). If you have strenuous objections to this arrogant centralisation (I know I would/do) then I direct your attention to the fact that the crowdsourced campaign for a community-owned node has to date received the grand total of 0 USD. Contributions of additional IP addresses / hostnames of stable VCoin nodes as advertised DNSSeeds are welcome, especially so if they arrive as github PRs.

Cheers

Graham
Just compile it..

chrisvl (OP)
Legendary

Trainman

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2015, 03:34:47 PM

U Mine is following you, and a good job, we need more news and information on this project......
when there the news will be announced here..

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: