Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:54:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EU/US: Need for explenation  (Read 4870 times)
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 05:58:59 PM

[snip]

Your need to classify those who don't agree with your position as mentally ill is very revealing.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 05:27:05 AM

My bet : Mr George Soros, to serve/help some U$ friend, has generated the EURO-Crisis !
It help USA keeping the bluff over the reserve currenc, and Soros double or even more is already too big fortune !

We are doomed, unless a majority adopt BTC to batter/trade/survive !

Sell your 401k to buy BTC before it's too late !
Pteppic

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 02:13:09 PM

The USD is the main global reserve currency and it also has a long-standing reputation as a safe haven.

There are two main benefits to the U.S. as issuer of the main reserve currency. First is interest from seigniorage—the profit made on issuing additional currency to nonresidents who hold U.S. notes and coins—estimated at $10 billion a year. Second is the fact that the U.S. is able to raise capital more cheaply because of very large purchases of U.S. Treasury securities by foreign governments and government agencies. We estimate that these purchases have reduced the U.S. borrowing rate by 50 to 60 basis points over the past few years and are worth about $90 billion to the U.S.

The large downside to the U.S. is that the reserve currency is a magnet for the world's official reserves and liquid assets, and that these flows mean that the dollar exchange rate is higher than it would be without reserve currency status by 5% to 10%. This harms the competitiveness of U.S. exporters and companies competing with imports.

Since the US can borrow more cheaply, it can afford a higher debt per person. There is also a big political difference. Whoever gets elected to the White House, they won't allow the US to default. When it comes to the euro-zone, no-one is quite sure who is willing to let which other countries default and in what situation. That represents a higher risk, more worry and higher borrowing costs.

"Remember too on every occasion which leads you to vexation to apply this principle: not that this is a misfortune, but that to bear it nobly is good fortune." - Marcus Aurelius
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 06:07:56 PM

[snip]

Your need to classify those who don't agree with your position as mentally ill is very revealing.

I could not find anything in his comment that could be interpreted as "if you disagree then you're crazy". It sounds like you're just shooting the messenger because you're annoyed about something he said, but instead of doing a rebuttal you just stuck words in his mouth.

Shame on you for making me have to read through that slab of text again.

I mean really, what kind of whiner is someone who complains about having to invest into a system that grants everyone including himself access to what he needs to survive? Of course it isn't great if it's like money being taken away and stuff, but seriously when it's invested into granting someone the privilege to survive by (exaggerated) lowering some number on a sheet of paper of computer screen and you don't then you must be a mentally ill person with most likely no friends

There's another point where he seems to imply it also but due to the atrocious writing, I'll give you that one.

mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 06:45:15 PM

being an Anarchist/Social Libertarian

so you aren't shocked of savage (Bitcoin powered) free markets like Chomsky is?
There is a huge difference between a free market and a society that is so blind that it doesn't care about its citizens.
neptop (OP)

Activity: 314
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 08:33:43 PM

[snip]

Erm... you shouldn't snip everything if you make such accusations. And I always thought even mentally ill people can be right about things, so that statement doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

In a way I think that everyone who doesn't completely resign for rational reasons, has to be kinda insane, but I guess that doesn't really count, because that brings everyone here on the same level. Wink

If I missed something, please show me!

Also I am curious on what you consider to be my position and what I reveal.

BitCoin address: 1E25UJEbifEejpYh117APmjYSXdLiJUCAZ
neptop (OP)

Activity: 314
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 08:47:25 PM

Okay, here some reflection of things. These are all just opinions and I share them, because it would be nice to hear of other thoughts. Maybe I am completely wrong here

The thing is that I am quite individualist,
 I know, some people call it theoretical/philosophical Anarchism and maybe that would fit it, but wouldn't it be the same as saying that I prefer to think for myself?

But all that thinking must require so much effort! Wouldn't it be so much easier if one could just follow a group with a simple set of rules that tells you what is good and bad? How about: avoid coercion. No way anyone could mix that one up Wink

Right. Yeah, I sometimes worry about being a coward about taking positions, but I also really can't completely agree on whatever philosophy one might share and since I can't come up with something on my own, I'll just continue to write such postings. Wink

extremism.
I think capitalism suffers from this. You know, for one it's just about free markets, being a tool on which to build upon,
And for extremists it can mean, that only the capital counts.

Well, it certainly seems that many US people suffer from black-and-white concrete thinking. Zero compromise, zero shades of grey. I wonder if, when the USSR was disintegrating in the late 1980s, they had any patriotic Russians who were convinced that "what this place really needs is more Communism, not less!" ? When people are convinced that they are right, they're likely to fall into a vicious circle where they keep repeating the same mistake. Unless, they are able to think.

I think many people suffer from this in general, not just in the US (or for being capitalist or whatever). I just think people who love freedom simply can get along better (and actually are doing so so in many places, like here) than what one would actually think when you look at how much they argue about such tiny differences in their opinions.

...I doubt that someone who maybe does so really wants to make money off poverty. The argument usually is like "someone else would do it" or that you can't forbid it, because it's freedom. But not being able to do so despite of everything doesn't sound like freedom to me.

What?! Freedom for the little people?! You don't sound like a wealthy, land-owning Libertarian farmer! Imposter! Get him! Cheesy

*gulp* You got me!

I really considered to buy land on the moon as a child though. Does that count? Wink

BitCoin address: 1E25UJEbifEejpYh117APmjYSXdLiJUCAZ
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 03:56:33 PM

Erm... you shouldn't snip everything if you make such accusations. And I always thought even mentally ill people can be right about things, so that statement doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

In a way I think that everyone who doesn't completely resign for rational reasons, has to be kinda insane, but I guess that doesn't really count, because that brings everyone here on the same level. Wink

If I missed something, please show me!

Also I am curious on what you consider to be my position and what I reveal.

Dude, that was back in September. That's like the 19th century in internet time.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: