Bitcoin Forum
October 20, 2019, 06:13:29 PM *
News: 10th anniversary art contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 ... 487 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1344118 times)
akaman

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 09:22:11 PM

I'm stuck at Block Height: 29071. Is there any way to download or speed up my blockchain?

The current block is 29176. You're not that far off. Did it sync further?

If not, and you in fact got stuck you may have to restart the deamon. I would restart siad from the command line:

Code:
./siac stop

then start the UI again. It should continue synchronizing the blockchain from where it left it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jthor

Activity: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 11:55:49 PM

I'm stuck at Block Height: 29071. Is there any way to download or speed up my blockchain?

The current block is 29176. You're not that far off. Did it sync further?

If not, and you in fact got stuck you may have to restart the deamon. I would restart siad from the command line:

Code:
./siac stop

then start the UI again. It should continue synchronizing the blockchain from where it left it.

Thank you so much, will try that at home tonight.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
luckygenough56
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 08:55:25 AM

looks like a decent project but coin supply is retarded sadly Smiley
chup

Activity: 704
Merit: 262

Me, Myself & I

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 09:55:24 AM

One can't compete Amazon, Google or Microsoft using the same technology they are using. Just because of X-redundancy, storage price will be X-times higher. Unless army of unused HDD parts jumps into equation with Y-times lower price. Competitive condition is Y to be significantly higher than X. My imagination of future SIA network was massive number of small hosts.

Lets not forget that they all use X-redundancy, huge storage facilities, cooling systems, tech engineers to maintain it all, managers to take big salaries..
I seriously doubt they use 4 or 5 times redundancy for storage like SIA is considering to use.

pallas
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1087

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 10:18:51 AM

One can't compete Amazon, Google or Microsoft using the same technology they are using. Just because of X-redundancy, storage price will be X-times higher. Unless army of unused HDD parts jumps into equation with Y-times lower price. Competitive condition is Y to be significantly higher than X. My imagination of future SIA network was massive number of small hosts.

Lets not forget that they all use X-redundancy, huge storage facilities, cooling systems, tech engineers to maintain it all, managers to take big salaries..
I seriously doubt they use 4 or 5 times redundancy for storage like SIA is considering to use.

They surely do not. But their nodes are mostly online, while sia users can come and go whenever they want.

jthor

Activity: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 01:11:46 PM

Still stuck at Block Height: 29071, a little bit afraid to withdraw from polo while I've got one transaction that has not arrived yet.
I'll leave it until tomorrow and see what will happen.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
tranzactionezlive

Activity: 258

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 07:19:36 PM

Guys big problem, in need of assistance :

I have wallet 0.33 beta.2 b383       sia version 0.3.3.3

I had 2500KS balance, i've sent a few times 270ks to a new wallet on another PC, from about 7 transfers only 3 made it through.

Now the problem is that the balance still shows me 2500KS and any new transfers won't work, even though at first it was showing that it sent but in reality it didn't now after a few restarts it says : Error calling /wallet/send :

Please advise.

Any ideas from the developers ? The wallet seems to lack a console ( or i can't find it ). In any bitcoin/litecoin clone a checkwallet and repairwallet should've done it.

Taek

Activity: 543
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 10:21:28 PM

Guys big problem, in need of assistance :

I have wallet 0.33 beta.2 b383       sia version 0.3.3.3

I had 2500KS balance, i've sent a few times 270ks to a new wallet on another PC, from about 7 transfers only 3 made it through.

Now the problem is that the balance still shows me 2500KS and any new transfers won't work, even though at first it was showing that it sent but in reality it didn't now after a few restarts it says : Error calling /wallet/send :

Please advise.

Any ideas from the developers ? The wallet seems to lack a console ( or i can't find it ). In any bitcoin/litecoin clone a checkwallet and repairwallet should've done it.

Like I stated earlier, you need to upgrade to version 0.4.8, and then use the 'load legacy wallet' button in the UI. Sia is not a bitcoin/litecoin clone, it is coded from scratch. There is a console, it's a program called 'siad', and can be downloaded here: https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia/releases/tag/v0.4.8-beta

Personally, I would never save on SIA network nothing more than a THIRD copy of my files until I see thousands of hosts running.

Why? There is absolutely no need for that.

I think you have a mis-perception about what is required to keep data secure. Amazon doesn't have thousands of hosts, they put your data in single datacenter. The next version will have better redundancy information so you can see how your files are doing, but to the best of my knowledge no file has ever been lost on the Sia network. Our algorithms have improved significantly since the last release, file will be even more secure on v0.5.0.

We aren't using the same technology that they are using. Are you familiar with Reed-Solomon coding? It makes storing files online substantially more fault tolerant. Currently, we store 5 copies of the file across 10 hosts. The original file can be recovered from *any* 2 of the hosts, which means that you just need 20% of the hosts to be online when you want the file. Host uptime on our network is over 90%, so the chance that a full 8 out of 10 are going to be down is very slim. These numbers will get substantially better as the number of hosts increase, but already they are good enough to not be causing problems.

Interally, most datacenters do you 3 redundancy, by the way. Additionally, as you can see from our pricing we are able to compete on price, even at this early stage.
chup

Activity: 704
Merit: 262

Me, Myself & I

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 09:49:27 AM

We aren't using the same technology that they are using. Are you familiar with Reed-Solomon coding? It makes storing files online substantially more fault tolerant. Currently, we store 5 copies of the file across 10 hosts. The original file can be recovered from *any* 2 of the hosts, which means that you just need 20% of the hosts to be online when you want the file. Host uptime on our network is over 90%, so the chance that a full 8 out of 10 are going to be down is very slim. These numbers will get substantially better as the number of hosts increase, but already they are good enough to not be causing problems.

Interally, most datacenters do you 3 redundancy, by the way. Additionally, as you can see from our pricing we are able to compete on price, even at this early stage.

Still 3 times more space needed. Meaning, SIA hosts should level hosting prices being more than 3 times lower compared to existing cloud services. I don't think that profi high-capacity data centers could offer 4 times lower price. Hobby hosts could do that. And SIA needs many of them to be able to knock on Mega's door and say "look what capacity and price I can offer"...

MinermanNC
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 02:36:27 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2015, 03:24:02 PM by MinermanNC

looks like a decent project but coin supply is retarded sadly Smiley
Does it really matter how many coins there are? The price of storage use will be set by the host. Whether there is 1 billion or 20 billion coins. I think the important aspect of the large coin supply is to insure there is enough to meet large scale storage demands.

What you may pay now or in the future on an exchange for coins is less a factor minus speculation, for what you may be paying when you use them for storage hosting. Of course if hosting goes up per GB/month then it will require you to purchase more coins to meet your needs, which I assume will push up exchange prices. The eco system will balance itself out. Also miners will not mine at a loss, so that will effect prices as well. But to say there is a retarded amount of coins... well we just have no way to determine that right now.  Smiley

*BTC: 1DiR25SPo84sThzTATr27EZEQZLt6hv6tG
Taek

Activity: 543

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 10:04:00 PM

Still 3 times more space needed. Meaning, SIA hosts should level hosting prices being more than 3 times lower compared to existing cloud services. I don't think that profi high-capacity data centers could offer 4 times lower price. Hobby hosts could do that. And SIA needs many of them to be able to knock on Mega's door and say "look what capacity and price I can offer"...

I do believe that the data disagrees with you. Also, at today's prices it's quite manageable for a professional hosting service to undercut Amazon by about 3x, Amazon has a huge markup because they are the name that everyone recognizes. Sia makes needing that name irrelevant, which is one of our biggest innovations.
akaman

Activity: 247

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 11:15:44 PM

Just a word on MEGA. Kim Dotcom lost his extradition case. Both him and very likely his closest collaborators may find themselves soon on a plane to the US. Also, he's basically broke. I've moved all my stuff of MEGA as I'm waiting for the house of cards to fall very soon. All the better for Sia of course. I think a lot of MEGA folks will start looking for alternative safe storage.
etoque
Legendary

Activity: 1792

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 11:53:31 PM

At this price I feel stupid to not buying a little amount of sia...

Did someone know what coming in box ? Smiley

Thanks
MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 04:02:00 AM

Just a word on MEGA. Kim Dotcom lost his extradition case. Both him and very likely his closest collaborators may find themselves soon on a plane to the US. Also, he's basically broke. I've moved all my stuff of MEGA as I'm waiting for the house of cards to fall very soon. All the better for Sia of course. I think a lot of MEGA folks will start looking for alternative safe storage.
Hmmm good observation and point  Wink Perhaps opportunity knocks lol

Really I think all that is holding Sia back right now more than likely, is the next version release(s) I say holding back for lack of a better word. I think many are waiting in the wings on future Sia releases that will address some of the bigger user friendly issues more than anything else. For those of us who have followed or are invested in Sia, our confidence in the concept is already there! We know it works as it should in terms of security and redundancy etc. ( the meat and potato's ) of it, is all good  Grin

mitache365

Activity: 731

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 07:12:08 AM

Thanks

Will be good to get some at 3, but I am not sure will happen again soon!

BTC
tolstoy

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 03:53:45 PM

Google Dedicates $1M In Research Grants To Keep Google Drive Safe
http://techcrunch.com/2015/12/17/google-dedicates-1m-in-research-grants-to-keep-google-drive-safe/

Are there plans to have a security researcher to do a code review?
The bigger players all have the means. Maybe a bounty can attract a CompSci PhD student or alum.

mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 05:14:59 PM

Thanks

Will be good to get some at 3, but I am not sure will happen again soon!

3-4 sat is an easy buy.
kenobius
Legendary

Activity: 1650
Merit: 1033

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 06:58:40 AM

How much Sia total?
mitache365

Activity: 731

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 04:41:04 PM

How much Sia total?

8.5 billion

BTC
MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 07:02:45 PM

Merry Christmas everyone!

MMNC Smiley

Pages: « 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 ... 487 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.