Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:57:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 ... 496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1382129 times)
dadingsda
Legendary

Activity: 1310
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 10:50:24 AM

Thanks to

akaman
chrysophylax

!

Now i try to get my coins out of polo.

INVALID BBCODE: close of unopened tag in table (1)
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
akaman

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 05:00:26 PM

windows firewall was enabled for some weird reason. thanks a lot sir. now time to get my first sia Cheesy
Alternatively, post an address here from your wallet and I'll send you a small amount to play with.

did you send any because i have received none yet.

1. Estimated competitive price: 2.87 S per GB/month correct?

2. is the gb im selling system wide?

Yes, I sent you some Siacoins yesterday. I am absolutely sure of that. I do not see the transaction in the blockchain, however, which is very odd. In any case, I sent some funds again now. Here is the transaction:
http://explore.sia.tech/hash.html?hash=06fb395d8d5b9a46bf64da30d7e9486f2248bed10a4d3f609ec95c24e3cddb44b7c9226e4d33

1. The estimated competitive price tends to fluctuate. See http://siapulse.com/page/network and click the "Storage Offers" buttons to see what other hosts charge. You can selected as a host even if your price is above that of the cheapest hosts. Do not set your price above 500 SC, as that limit is hard-coded and you will not be selected as host if you set your price above this.

2. Yes, your storage is announced on the network and then becomes available to any other Sia user.
Taek (OP)

Activity: 543
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 04:50:57 PM

Sorry, I've been MIA for Christmas because I was travelling and forgot to bring my BTT and forum.sia.tech passwords with me.

Are there plans to have a security researcher to do a code review?
The bigger players all have the means. Maybe a bounty can attract a CompSci PhD student or alum.

Eventually, yes. For the time being though, we're focused on increasing our test coverage and getting the minimum features out. Sia has been designed with a high grade of attention to detail, and strong considerations for security. I'm guessing we're a lot ahead of most projects that don't have formal security audits. We have had a volunteer security auditor check us out, he was initially impressed but did not make it through the whole codebase.

The market cap of SIA has stayed surprisingly stable.

Yeah, I've noticed that too, we've held steady at $150,000 market cap since like 3 billion coins.
unlock your wallet to see any balance ... and if it still isnt there when you do - it means confirmations havent been completed yet ...

sia takes a large amount of confirmed blocks ( someone please insert how many confirms here please ) before anything is shown as 'your's in the wallet ...

#crysx

It's only mining that takes 144 confirmations. Typical spends will show after only 1 confirmation. Anything that poliniex sends should appear in 'pending' immediately, and should appear in 'balance' after 1 block.

Thanks to

akaman
chrysophylax

!

Now i try to get my coins out of polo.

Let me know if you are having more trouble. From what I've read, the original problem you were having was that Windows firewall was enabled, and that you had never unlocked the wallet? Knowing these things helps so that we can update our FAQ.
adhitthana
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 09:23:08 PM

Thx for the clarification, but I doubt in expansion of SIA hosts with the fixed IP or dynamic DNS requirement...
much storage is available if nobody ever uses it.[/b] That's why we are choosing to focus all of our energy on the uploaders right now. Because Sia absolutely needs more uploaders, much more than it needs anything else.
What is the way/ways that you let people know of Sia's existence and capability?

Tell your friends. Tell your Twitter/Facebook/Google/etc followers. Make a buzz.

Above all: If you like/believe in the future of Sia, then use Sia!! There is still much to be desired from the Sia wallet. But, by using Sia actively you signal to hosts, developers and everyone else monitoring the network (http://explore.sia.tech) that there is activity.

Critically, as you gain experience you're in a position to help new users. Dropbox experienced exponential growth in its early days, much by utilizing social network (referrals). There's a new Sia users each day, but some leave due to simply issues with the wallet, firewall configuration etc. It is important we help these users, as each one of these early adopters could translate into hundreds, or even thousands, of users a few years from now.

Thank you. How can we see how many people are using Sia?
Taek (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 10:06:46 PM

Thank you. How can we see how many people are using Sia?

explore.sia.tech is the best place to get metrics on the network as a whole
tranzactionezlive

Activity: 261

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 03:55:17 PM
Last edit: January 01, 2016, 04:24:38 PM by tranzactionezlive

Guys big problem, in need of assistance :

I have wallet 0.33 beta.2 b383       sia version 0.3.3.3

I had 2500KS balance, i've sent a few times 270ks to a new wallet on another PC, from about 7 transfers only 3 made it through.

Now the problem is that the balance still shows me 2500KS and any new transfers won't work, even though at first it was showing that it sent but in reality it didn't now after a few restarts it says : Error calling /wallet/send :

Please advise.

Any ideas from the developers ? The wallet seems to lack a console ( or i can't find it ). In any bitcoin/litecoin clone a checkwallet and repairwallet should've done it.

Like I stated earlier, you need to upgrade to version 0.4.8, and then use the 'load legacy wallet' button in the UI. Sia is not a bitcoin/litecoin clone, it is coded from scratch. There is a console, it's a program called 'siad', and can be downloaded here: https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia/releases/tag/v0.4.8-beta

Personally, I would never save on SIA network nothing more than a THIRD copy of my files until I see thousands of hosts running.

Why? There is absolutely no need for that.

I think you have a mis-perception about what is required to keep data secure. Amazon doesn't have thousands of hosts, they put your data in single datacenter. The next version will have better redundancy information so you can see how your files are doing, but to the best of my knowledge no file has ever been lost on the Sia network. Our algorithms have improved significantly since the last release, file will be even more secure on v0.5.0.

One can't compete Amazon, Google or Microsoft using the same technology they are using. Just because of X-redundancy, storage price will be X-times higher. Unless army of unused HDD parts jumps into equation with Y-times lower price. Competitive condition is Y to be significantly higher than X. My imagination of future SIA network was massive number of small hosts.

We aren't using the same technology that they are using. Are you familiar with Reed-Solomon coding? It makes storing files online substantially more fault tolerant. Currently, we store 5 copies of the file across 10 hosts. The original file can be recovered from *any* 2 of the hosts, which means that you just need 20% of the hosts to be online when you want the file. Host uptime on our network is over 90%, so the chance that a full 8 out of 10 are going to be down is very slim. These numbers will get substantially better as the number of hosts increase, but already they are good enough to not be causing problems.

Interally, most datacenters do you 3 redundancy, by the way. Additionally, as you can see from our pricing we are able to compete on price, even at this early stage.

Updating doesn't work for the old 0.3.3.

Please tell me which are the wallet files for 0.3.3 for i am unable to identify them.

And specify, please, if there is another way of importing the coins to 4.8 wallet.

My coins were bought on Poloniex and withdrawn a few months back.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 06:39:25 PM

I like this coin, but the wallet is indeed buggy. Is there a wiki or something that would help deal with the most common bugs that pop up? Siacoin reminds me of Bitshares a year or so ago (that is a good thing... good tech, nice clean GUI, but it has some bugs left to work out.)
akaman

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 07:36:45 PM

I like this coin, but the wallet is indeed buggy. Is there a wiki or something that would help deal with the most common bugs that pop up? Siacoin reminds me of Bitshares a year or so ago (that is a good thing... good tech, nice clean GUI, but it has some bugs left to work out.)

There isn't currently a wiki, though you'd be welcome to set up up :-)

You can post questions, bug reports here and they will be read by devs or knowledgable community members eventually. Also, I advice you to hang out at the official forum at http://forum.sia.tech. Chances are you'll get a reply faster on the forum, rather than here. There's also the Issues tracker on GitHub, though that's mostly for critical bugs one (i.e. not feature requests). What kind of bugs are you currently exeriencing?

Yes, the current wallet has much to desire. There is a new version planned to be released late January. The user-experience should definitely me a lot smoother, and productive, once its out (and the new bugs resolved ;-)

The Sia project is very good, and the development team focused and professional. I predict 2016 to be the Year of Sia :-)
MinermanNC
Legendary

Activity: 2198

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 03:09:08 AM

The Sia project is very good, and the development team focused and professional. I predict 2016 to be the Year of Sia :-)

Agreed! I couldn't have said that better  Wink

*BTC: 1DiR25SPo84sThzTATr27EZEQZLt6hv6tG
Riseman

Activity: 690
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 03:17:45 AM

What happened to the SC market on Poloniex?
MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 03:22:49 AM

Ya was just in Poli and saw that. They did mention that some coins were under maintenance, but not sure that is the reason for Sia frozen?

Some withdrawals and deposits will be delayed while we are performing service maintenance. Will announce when completed. Thank you for your patience.

Posted by OldManKidd at 2015-12-30 19:46:12

Lets wait and see.... not aware of any other issues atm.... 

akaman

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 03:42:39 AM

There are issues with their SC wallet.
MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 03:44:57 AM

There are issues with their SC wallet.
Exactly not what I wanted to hear lol  Grin (was quietly thinking that)

MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 04:00:12 AM
Last edit: January 02, 2016, 04:11:57 AM by MinermanNC

Well it is limited to their wallet. I am updating a 4.8 wallet right now, and all seems fast and normal. However I am only doing this because my trusty 4.6 I had been using stopped working out of nowhere  Huh "exiting Siad" "Code 0" error ...has a few coins in it, so I am hopping to transfer the wallet json and pick back up those coins.

I have managed since day one, not lose any coins through it all. I felt my safest bet was to send them all to Poli a while back... um errrrr lol brilliant idea  Cheesy

akaman

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 06:52:52 AM

Well it is limited to their wallet. I am updating a 4.8 wallet right now, and all seems fast and normal. However I am only doing this because my trusty 4.6 I had been using stopped working out of nowhere  Huh "exiting Siad" "Code 0" error ...has a few coins in it, so I am hopping to transfer the wallet json and pick back up those coins.

In those cases, it is worthwhile checking what siad returns on the command line. I've seen EOF errors due to renter issues. Anyway, you better stay with the most current version for less bugs, more bells'n'whistles. PS: Don't forget to back up your wallets. Its just a text file and you just need to do it once.

tranzactionezlive

Activity: 261

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 07:54:49 PM

Guys big problem, in need of assistance :

I have wallet 0.33 beta.2 b383       sia version 0.3.3.3

I had 2500KS balance, i've sent a few times 270ks to a new wallet on another PC, from about 7 transfers only 3 made it through.

Now the problem is that the balance still shows me 2500KS and any new transfers won't work, even though at first it was showing that it sent but in reality it didn't now after a few restarts it says : Error calling /wallet/send :

Please advise.

Any ideas from the developers ? The wallet seems to lack a console ( or i can't find it ). In any bitcoin/litecoin clone a checkwallet and repairwallet should've done it.

Like I stated earlier, you need to upgrade to version 0.4.8, and then use the 'load legacy wallet' button in the UI. Sia is not a bitcoin/litecoin clone, it is coded from scratch. There is a console, it's a program called 'siad', and can be downloaded here: https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia/releases/tag/v0.4.8-beta

Personally, I would never save on SIA network nothing more than a THIRD copy of my files until I see thousands of hosts running.

Why? There is absolutely no need for that.

I think you have a mis-perception about what is required to keep data secure. Amazon doesn't have thousands of hosts, they put your data in single datacenter. The next version will have better redundancy information so you can see how your files are doing, but to the best of my knowledge no file has ever been lost on the Sia network. Our algorithms have improved significantly since the last release, file will be even more secure on v0.5.0.

One can't compete Amazon, Google or Microsoft using the same technology they are using. Just because of X-redundancy, storage price will be X-times higher. Unless army of unused HDD parts jumps into equation with Y-times lower price. Competitive condition is Y to be significantly higher than X. My imagination of future SIA network was massive number of small hosts.

We aren't using the same technology that they are using. Are you familiar with Reed-Solomon coding? It makes storing files online substantially more fault tolerant. Currently, we store 5 copies of the file across 10 hosts. The original file can be recovered from *any* 2 of the hosts, which means that you just need 20% of the hosts to be online when you want the file. Host uptime on our network is over 90%, so the chance that a full 8 out of 10 are going to be down is very slim. These numbers will get substantially better as the number of hosts increase, but already they are good enough to not be causing problems.

Interally, most datacenters do you 3 redundancy, by the way. Additionally, as you can see from our pricing we are able to compete on price, even at this early stage.

Updating doesn't work for the old 0.3.3.

Please tell me which are the wallet files for 0.3.3 for i am unable to identify them.

And specify, please, if there is another way of importing the coins to 4.8 wallet.

My coins were bought on Poloniex and withdrawn a few months back.

Any advice for my problem ? The update button on 0.3.3 doesn't do anything for me. Is there a way to manually extract the wallet files and import to 4.8 wallet ? If so , what is it and which are the wallet files/file ?
MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 12:01:02 AM

In those cases, it is worthwhile checking what siad returns on the command line. I've seen EOF errors due to renter issues. Anyway, you better stay with the most current version for less bugs, more bells'n'whistles. PS: Don't forget to back up your wallets. Its just a text file and you just need to do it once.

Yo, 4.8 working like a charm  Smiley moved json out of 4.6 wallet and plopped it in 4.8 all coins accounted for as always....

Thanks for the input,  Wink

PS: now I am just wondering when we will have access to the millions of coins on Poli  Shocked

Roozy

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 12:29:29 AM

Yo, 4.8 working like a charm  Smiley moved json out of 4.6 wallet and plopped it in 4.8 all coins accounted for as always....

Thanks for the input,  Wink

PS: now I am just wondering when we will have access to the millions of coins on Poli  Shocked

Yea i'm in the same boat as you. Everything is on Poli, still waiting on answers.
Taek (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 12:33:26 AM

Any advice for my problem ? The update button on 0.3.3 doesn't do anything for me. Is there a way to manually extract the wallet files and import to 4.8 wallet ? If so , what is it and which are the wallet files/file ?

Yeah, the update button hasn't worked for a while. You need to manually download 0.4.8. We'll have updating ready at some point, but not v0.5.0, I think we did remove all of the update buttons though finally, since they weren't working.

https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia-UI/releases/tag/v0.4.8-beta

To get your coins, click the 'import legacy wallet' and select the 'wallet.dat' file in your old sia folder. I believe it's in Sia/wallet/wallet.dat.

Be advised, if you are using v0.3.3, that's the *alpha*, and none of the coins were real. Your coins won't import. The first version with real coins was 0.3.3.3. I'm assuming you've been truncating.

Why did we do it that way? I'm not sure, we should have bumped up the version number when we switched from alpha to beta.
MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 12:36:13 AM

For the moment I am taking some comfort in the devs on both sides, Poli and Sia, as they are some of the best. Confident they will work it out.

However a more detailed explanation, generally speaking, of the issue would be nice  Smiley

Pages: « 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 ... 496 »
  Print  

Jump to: