Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:21:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 [252] 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 ... 496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1382127 times)
vilpil

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 07:36:23 PM

ASIC mining rig is a great news!

WHy is the coin being dumped like that?
Such bad news or what?
Yeah, was this the great news coming this friday or is there something else? Price is going down right now. Sad

EDIT: And I can't do anything with my siacoins because I sent them to the wallet when I installed it and it's taking an eternity to synchronize so I can't see my coins or send them anywhere else, how is it possible that it takes so long?  Huh

I was planning to hold for a while, but if I wanted to sell before the price goes lower, I just couldn't because the wallet is the slowest cr*p I've seen in my life. I don't know the reasons for this, but the devs should definitely work on it if they really want that Sia becomes a truly popular plataform, I can see lots of people thinking "f*** it" and uninstalling it after checking how incredibly slow it is.

just take a chill pill. Btc is rising so fast now. And other coins hard to keep up. It will go back to normal! Probably its better for you. That you did not have chance to sell.
Like I said, I bought siacoins as a long term investment, so I was not planning to sell, but I don't know if it's normal that the wallet sync takes sooo long, and I think that's not good for a plataform that I guess that wants to become popular.

And if I wanted to sell because the price was dropping too much and I could potentially lose a lot of the money I invested, I just wouldn't be able to do it, and I think that Sia should warn everybody that transactions/balances are not available until the sync is completed, and that said sync can take DAYS to be completed, that way I would have been warned to not send my siacoin to the wallet until the sync was completed, and I guess everybody would like to know something like this before using the Sia plataform/wallet.

I downloaded the wallet because I invested in Siacoins and wanted to keep them safe, but if I was a casual user that wanted to check how Sia worked and I saw how long it takes to properly work, I don't know if I would have the patience to wait for so long for the sync. I don't know the technicalities behind this, I'm just saying that something like this should be worked out to avoid losing potential new users.

can tell you one thing.you should invest in something you know about and read about. it will sync just leave you computer. and the price will stabilizes. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
csmartins

Activity: 12

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 07:54:12 PM

Took me around 3 hours to sync the wallet after downloading it. It's not that bad.
Alfred Hard

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 09:44:39 PM

ASIC mining rig is a great news!

WHy is the coin being dumped like that?
Such bad news or what?
Yeah, was this the great news coming this friday or is there something else? Price is going down right now. Sad

EDIT: And I can't do anything with my siacoins because I sent them to the wallet when I installed it and it's taking an eternity to synchronize so I can't see my coins or send them anywhere else, how is it possible that it takes so long?  Huh

I was planning to hold for a while, but if I wanted to sell before the price goes lower, I just couldn't because the wallet is the slowest cr*p I've seen in my life. I don't know the reasons for this, but the devs should definitely work on it if they really want that Sia becomes a truly popular plataform, I can see lots of people thinking "f*** it" and uninstalling it after checking how incredibly slow it is.

just take a chill pill. Btc is rising so fast now. And other coins hard to keep up. It will go back to normal! Probably its better for you. That you did not have chance to sell.
Like I said, I bought siacoins as a long term investment, so I was not planning to sell, but I don't know if it's normal that the wallet sync takes sooo long, and I think that's not good for a plataform that I guess that wants to become popular.

And if I wanted to sell because the price was dropping too much and I could potentially lose a lot of the money I invested, I just wouldn't be able to do it, and I think that Sia should warn everybody that transactions/balances are not available until the sync is completed, and that said sync can take DAYS to be completed, that way I would have been warned to not send my siacoin to the wallet until the sync was completed, and I guess everybody would like to know something like this before using the Sia plataform/wallet.

I downloaded the wallet because I invested in Siacoins and wanted to keep them safe, but if I was a casual user that wanted to check how Sia worked and I saw how long it takes to properly work, I don't know if I would have the patience to wait for so long for the sync. I don't know the technicalities behind this, I'm just saying that something like this should be worked out to avoid losing potential new users.

can tell you one thing.you should invest in something you know about and read about. it will sync just leave you computer. and the price will stabilizes. 
I obviously read about it before investing, but I didn't read anywhere in their site that synchronizing the wallet could take so long and that in the meanwhile I couldn't access my balance/transactions/siacoins. Maybe they could warn it in their site, that's all I'm saying, because now my siacoins are frozen in the wallet and for a lot of casual users having to wait so much for the synchronization could be a reason to pass on using Sia (and I hope that uploading files is a much faster process, because this is just ridiculous).

You seem to be implying that it's my fault to not know how absurdely slow this wallet is when afaik nowhere in their site there is a warning about this, and I have not magical powers to know about something that is not warned in their official site. I've used other wallets and none of them have made me wait for so long to be able to access my coins.

If it took just a couple of hours I wouldn't complain, but if it takes several days, in that time Siacoin's price could drop to zero and I would lose all the money I invested on it. Or maybe I could just need the money for something else and I would want to sell asap, and I just couldn't because all the siacoins are frozen in the wallet until the sync is finished. I repeat I'm not planning to sell, but if I wanted or needed to, I just couldn't do it because the wallet takes too much time to sync.

Took me around 3 hours to sync the wallet after downloading it. It's not that bad.
In my case, it's been synchronizing since yesterday, and it's still at 43.9% (8 hours ago was at 39%). I have read (wish I had read it before) how some people needed to wait for 3 days until it was synchronized. Like I said above, if it synchronized in just 3 hours I wouldn't complain about it, but 2 days for just half of the sync is just too much, in this cryptomarket 2-4 days can be an eternity.

gatuso

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 08:27:15 AM

Obelisk:

Each Obelisk node (Skycoin Consensus Node) has a public key (an identity) and personal blockchain (a public broadcast channel). Consensus decisions and communication happen within the personal blockchains of each Obelisk node. This is a public record of everything a node does. This allows the community to audit nodes for cheating and collusion. It gives the community a way identify nodes which are participating in attacks on the network and it makes public how decisions in the network are being made and which nodes are influencing those decisions.

Each node has a list of other nodes that it subscribes to. Nodes with more subscribers are more "trusted" and yield more influence in the network. If the community does not trust the nodes representing them or feels that power within the network is too concentrated (or not concentrated enough) the community is able to collectively shift the balance of power in the network by collectively changing their trust relationships in the network.

Node subscription relationships can be random and/or can be formed through web of trust (subscribe to nodes of people you know and people in community you trust).

When a node receives a new block from a chain it is subscribed to, it publishes the hash of the block it publishes. This is a public acknowledgment of the receipt of the block. Each block is timestamped and counter references blocks from other chains. This creates a dense interlinked chains of block acknowledgments. These chains establish causal relationships and can act as a distributed time stamping system as described in the next section. This allows the network to prove that data did not exist or was not published to the network or establish that particular nodes were active or offline during a particular time interval.

The current Obelisk consensus algorithm is based upon Ben-Or's randomized consensus algorithm.

A Sybil attack in a random graph (worse case) allows the Sybil nodes to control consensus, but the nodes are unable to revert transactions, removing the only economic incentive to attack the network. In real world graphs the Sybil resistance of the network is actually very high and running a node is moderately costly in terms of bandwidth, which make large botnets prohibitive.

Trust relationships are scarce and can be rescinded. In the event of an attack, the network reacts by severing connections to less trustworthy nodes and contracting to a smaller core of trusted nodes. The public record left by each node's personal blockchain makes it very easy to identify the nodes participating in an attack. As attacking nodes are identified individuals sever relationships with those nodes, reducing their influence.

Skycoin consensus is democratic and nodes are run by the community.
    Skycoin node consensus is public
    Every node is accountable to the community and 3rd party audits.
    Influence within the Skycoin consensus system is democratic and transparent (but unequal).

https://github.com/skycoin/whitepapers/tree/master/old_2014
MrSunshine

Activity: 1181
Merit: 259

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 12:19:38 PM

This has nothing to do with Sia's Obelisk.
khash4u

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 12:44:55 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2017, 01:16:31 PM by khash4u

[ SOURCE ]
https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/6ig4i7/thread_for_questions_about_proof_of_work_asics/dj6l1w1/

Exactly our point, a 3rd party WILL eventually produce faster hashing chips and cheaper ASIC's and build their own mining farm if mining this becomes profitable, the race to becoming the biggest mining operation Wink
If it happens sooner then later, there could be the possibility of not getting a return on your investment either.  I remember when guys were buying ASIC miners for Bitcoin, by the time they received them and started to use them after waiting for backlog and delays from manufacturer they were already at a loss on ROI of their purchase because the difficulty rate increased with all the ASIC mining activity too quickly while other 3rd parties had already developed and were mining ahead of others with  faster hashing ASIC's with better power consumption reducing costs and were already mining for themselves ( they were paid for pre-orders and used for themselves to self profit ) then they ship them late to their customers, and repeat the process once they develop faster ASIC's while always making profit.

I know you can't possibly control how other companies practice but anything that can make a quick profit will encourage greed which will lead to an unfair monopoly. Safest play would be to just buy as much siacoin as you can now while it's cheap if you believe in the project to be successful rather then taking the riskier road to ASIC mining with cloud rented or purchased ASIC's, the little guy always loses out its been proven with all ASIC mining coins once the big players take over which sadly happens.

Join Binance Exchange today with instant trading on all major crypto tokens 0.1% Trade Fee.
24h Withdrawal Limit:2BTC for unverified accounts  /  Verified accounts  24h Withdrawal Limit:100BTC
BINANCE Worlds largest Exchange
kwab

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 03:30:33 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2017, 03:52:52 PM by kwab

Does SIA Client run on a Raspberry Pi (for hosting)? All sources I found on the internet say its not possible because Raspberry Pi is not 64 bit and so on ...

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Alfred Hard

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 04:32:36 PM

One daye later, still at 59%. F*cking unbelievable.  Sad
kwab

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 04:46:45 PM

One daye later, still at 59%. F*cking unbelievable.  Sad
Huh?

Last 24h was -7%.
What are you talking about?

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
rleonard85

Activity: 26

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 04:54:36 PM

[ SOURCE ]
https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/6ig4i7/thread_for_questions_about_proof_of_work_asics/dj6l1w1/

https://image.prntscr.com/image/z7Am13ejQC6efomJzzNBnQ.png

Exactly our point, a 3rd party WILL eventually produce faster hashing chips and cheaper ASIC's and build their own mining farm if mining this becomes profitable, the race to becoming the biggest mining operation Wink
If it happens sooner then later, there could be the possibility of not getting a return on your investment either.  I remember when guys were buying ASIC miners for Bitcoin, by the time they received them and started to use them after waiting for backlog and delays from manufacturer they were already at a loss on ROI of their purchase because the difficulty rate increased with all the ASIC mining activity too quickly while other 3rd parties had already developed and were mining ahead of others with  faster hashing ASIC's with better power consumption reducing costs and were already mining for themselves ( they were paid for pre-orders and used for themselves to self profit ) then they ship them late to their customers, and repeat the process once they develop faster ASIC's while always making profit.

I know you can't possibly control how other companies practice but anything that can make a quick profit will encourage greed which will lead to an unfair monopoly. Safest play would be to just buy as much siacoin as you can now while it's cheap if you believe in the project to be successful rather then taking the riskier road to ASIC mining with cloud rented or purchased ASIC's, the little guy always loses out its been proven with all ASIC mining coins once the big players take over which sadly happens.

Maybe Sia should implement digishield to prevent this sort of thing from happening at such a drastic rate.

http://digiconomist.net/digishield_misunderstandings/

Alfred Hard

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 05:57:05 PM

One daye later, still at 59%. F*cking unbelievable.  Sad
Huh?

Last 24h was -7%.
What are you talking about?
Lol, I'm talking about the sia wallet sync, which is taking forever and I can't access to the siacoins I sent from bittrex. From the previous page:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1060294.msg19675020#msg19675020

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1060294.msg19675870#msg19675870

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1060294.msg19677884#msg19677884

I could have sold the siacoins when the price was higher to buy some more Shift and get more profit than what I'm getting right now with SC (which is giving me zero profit right now, and I'm actually losing money since I sent them to the wallet), and maybe later I could buy some SC again with said profits, but I just can't because their sh*tty wallet needs an eternity to sync and in the meanwhile I can't access to my SC. I don't even know if my SC are in the wallet because I can't see the balance until the wallet is synchronized, but I guess they are there because they are not in Bittrex since I sent them.

If I had known that the sync could take this long, I would have never sent the SC to the wallet and I would have kept them in Bittrex until the sync was done, but nowhere in their site they warn that the sync can take such a long time and that in the meanwhile you just can't access your SC.

I bought the SC as a long term investment, but after this, as soon as the wallet is sync, I don't care what they announce this friday, I'll sell all my SC and will never look back, because it's not normal having to wait for DAYS until the wallet is sync and that in the meanwhile you can't access you SC and that this is not warned anywhere in their site.  Sad

kwab

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 07:13:24 PM

Does Sia Coin support running on a Raspberry Pi?!

metallicelmo

Activity: 882
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 07:46:14 PM

I really wonder how much more there is to gain for Sia, it is now at 0.01 cent with a total of 27 billion coins right?
kwab

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 08:08:36 PM

I dont know ... its place 13 on coinmarketcap based on "market cap".
first is bitcoin with 44bn market cap, second is eth with 30bn

sia has 521 mio market cap right now

metallicelmo

Activity: 882
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 08:24:30 PM

So this news that they might release some sort of ASIC specially built for SIA, this will speed up the blocks right? Will that cause them to be more rare when it reaches the point that there is less coins per block to be mined?
usellmecoinnow

Activity: 21

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 08:30:41 PM

So this news that they might release some sort of ASIC specially built for SIA, this will speed up the blocks right? Will that cause them to be more rare when it reaches the point that there is less coins per block to be mined?

Who cares. It should hit .00001 by the end of the month. Here's the TA: https://www.coinigy.com/assets/img/charts/594ad678c5922.png
spatifilium

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 08:47:47 PM

Siacoin is a good coin and very underrated by the end of the year I think it will come to good prices, slowly but surely evolves so do not expect any major changes in him
crypto research

Activity: 669
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 09:16:19 PM

Any news ?
Porfirii
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1971

The Alliance Of Bitcointalk Translators - ENG>SPA

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 10:40:21 PM

Any news ?

Further news on Friday, I guess.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
... LIVECASINO.io    Play Live Games with up to 20% cashback!...██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
CryptoWinner

Activity: 147

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 11:02:19 PM

I've read about sia ASIC. Is there any ETA? I'd like to buy one actually Smiley

SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform   
▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬
Github    -    Discord    -    Twitter    -    Telegram    -    Get Free Airdrop Now!
Pages: « 1 ... 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 [252] 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 ... 496 »
  Print  

Jump to: