Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:47:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 [288] 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 ... 496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1382129 times)
rabidri

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 01:48:55 PM

Thanks Hakkane for all your replies Smiley
I also have a question ! Uploaded files are encrypted and split, is this process done by the client ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
attilafx

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 01:53:18 PM

Looking at the price of Siacoin it is pretty obvious that the devs have failed miserably.
So they can do whatever they want now but the common people and investors gave up on this coin.
proof me wrong, if this was a good project with reliable devs and future, then price wouldn't be down here.
So when faith is gone they can release and do whatever they want with their worthless coins because investors won't trust this project anymore.
asdfqaz

Activity: 13

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 02:07:37 PM

Sia really has failed. The first mistake was that you need to have atleast 2000 sia to sell your storage. That would have scared some people away. And people list it in one of the best coins to invest in.
itsnasir

Activity: 73
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 02:31:11 PM

I invested in SIA on June 18th when it was 0.018$, I invested 7 BTC which is worth now 1.75 BTC and I got 1M sia. I am just too disappointed in SIA that this coin has not been going up like all others even things they implemented like ASIC miners for next year, This was a utter failure on their end but once again I am a bag holder due to SIA and cannot sell unless I break even which I don't see anytime this year but u make mistakes and you learn from these mistakes. I learned it the hard way, Hope sia bring out something big or new which would increase its prices. I hoped to invest in SIA that if it ever touches 1$, I would have 1M$ in my pocket but 1$ seems impossible for this coin due to their current progress. SMH!
attilafx

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 02:38:43 PM

I invested in SIA on June 18th when it was 0.018$, I invested 7 BTC which is worth now 1.75 BTC and I got 1M sia. I am just too disappointed in SIA that this coin has not been going up like all others even things they implemented like ASIC miners for next year, This was a utter failure on their end but once again I am a bag holder due to SIA and cannot sell unless I break even which I don't see anytime this year but u make mistakes and you learn from these mistakes. I learned it the hard way, Hope sia bring out something big or new which would increase its prices. I hoped to invest in SIA that if it ever touches 1$, I would have 1M$ in my pocket but 1$ seems impossible for this coin due to their current progress. SMH!

Sorry to be a D**khead or so but reality is that it was something new that had to prove it self. You probably chased the hype around this coin until reality hit and people realized that the devs can't deliver. If you are unexperienced trader learn this not to jump on board the first 6 to 12 months. Let the market decide what they think. it is not you nor me who will decide the price of Sia but the market. And now, if you look at the chart, every uptick is being met with more sellers. This means that the market doesn't give shit anymore about the devs of SIA. if they did you would have seen prices going up and not down. So basicly, the devs of SIA are working for nothing right now and have no future. Probably can go back to work and become wagecucks again. Not that I care since they don't care about the price neither. So let them proof us wrong but the odds are pretty much against them. Better buy some litecoin or ethereum classic or waves or whatever. Buy what the market supports. Not some faithless coins.
Lucky7btc

Activity: 1299
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 02:40:34 PM

I have an ocean front property in Arizona I'll sell you if you're interested for the remaining 1.75 btc and 1M sia.
Hakkane

Activity: 422
Merit: 270

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 04:07:34 PM

I also have a question ! Uploaded files are encrypted and split, is this process done by the client ?

My pleasure  to help Smiley

Yes, files are encrypted by the client using the Twofish algorithm (one of the most secure that exist) and the splitting and spreading of the file among 30 hosts is also carried out by the client using the Reed-Solomon algorithm.

Sia really has failed. The first mistake was that you need to have atleast 2000 sia to sell your storage. That would have scared some people away. And people list it in one of the best coins to invest in.

Those minimal 2000SC are called Collateral, and it a guarantee you offer that you will keep your promise of hosting the files during the whole contract. If you are a good host, you receive them back. If there was no collateral (and this is the concerning case of Filecoin or StorJ), hosts would drop the files they are hosting as soon as another HDD-mineable coin was more profitable than Sia, thus making the files unavailable. Do we want a shit-coin in that conditions? No, for that reason collateral exists. To be a host is not an experiment of a weekend, it is a compromise as you are hosting the files of other people, and that entry point of 2000SC is actually very low. Don't you really have $16 to offer (that will be returned if you are a good host)? Seriously??

Sorry to be a D**khead or so but reality is that it was something new that had to prove it self. You probably chased the hype around this coin until reality hit and people realized that the devs can't deliver. If you are unexperienced trader learn this not to jump on board the first 6 to 12 months. Let the market decide what they think. it is not you nor me who will decide the price of Sia but the market. And now, if you look at the chart, every uptick is being met with more sellers. This means that the market doesn't give shit anymore about the devs of SIA. if they did you would have seen prices going up and not down. So basicly, the devs of SIA are working for nothing right now and have no future. Probably can go back to work and become wagecucks again. Not that I care since they don't care about the price neither. So let them proof us wrong but the odds are pretty much against them. Better buy some litecoin or ethereum classic or waves or whatever. Buy what the market supports. Not some faithless coins.

And what are devs not delivering, according to you? Sia is a working storage network currently offering 3.5 petabytes of storage among more than 700 hosts worldwide distributed. You have hosts at less than 50milliseconds of ping of every bigger city in the planet (which other storage provider can claim that?). File contracts are being formed every day and renters are uploading and downloading files. Take a look at the growth of file contracts:

(Source: https://blog.sia.tech/sia-may-august-2017-update-8929f21c56f7)

In a few months, reliability for renters will be revamped, file sharing and file streaming will be available and integration with many other services and apps will be enabled.

So what are they not delivering, according to you? What you might mean is that devs are not making you rich fast? Sorry buddy, but your investment decisions and their consequences are entirely your fault (or your success). Devs are not here to make you rich by you speculating with the price of a coin, devs are here to keep making a better product. And after what I have exposed it should be clear they are doing an incredible work in that sense.
trgnn

Activity: 756
Merit: 103

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 05:17:51 PM

I'm new in to this community, at least as a registered user of this forum and I'm extremely surprised to see people coming on thread for just vomiting their short term views and disapointment. "This project is a failure, I lost all my bitcoin and so on".

Sia bring something I never saw before, and it's already working. It's just a question of communication now.

unusualfacts30

Activity: 1540
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 05:27:46 PM

I'm new in to this community, at least as a registered user of this forum and I'm extremely surprised to see people coming on thread for just vomiting their short term views and disapointment. "This project is a failure, I lost all my bitcoin and so on".

Sia bring something I never saw before, and it's already working. It's just a question of communication now.

that is usual business in cryptoland. When people lose money, they blame it on altcoin instead of their bad judgement. I suspect they bought recently after price increase.

Decentralized
Asset-Backed Banking

▄▄██████████████████
 █████████████████████
█████▀▀
████▀    ████
████     ████
████     ████
         ████     ████
         ████    ▄████
               ▄▄█████
█████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀ 
.TheStandard.io.█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
jstern

Activity: 368
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 05:31:25 PM

I was checking out the price for this, and it's very, very competitive with OneDrive, DropBox, etc. But what if the price fort he coin goes up? It could end up costing a lot more.

Sounds like a good coin to mine though.
rabidri

Activity: 50

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 06:18:33 PM

@jstern,
Few posts above, is your answer by Hakkane Smiley.

I have a question and maybe it's a bit silly, I don't know. As far as I've read, Siacoin is an interesting solution for storage because it's decentralized, encrypted and secure AND because it's cheap. But, if I'm right, it's cheap because Siacoin's price is low. So, if this coin skyrocket, wouldn't be a sort of marketing suicide ? The storage cost would explode and it'll be way more expensive than Amazon and others. But, again, maybe I'm wrong. I know some people are really concerned by the decentralized part, I'm also concerned about the price ^^

Hello. You are missing something very important: each host decides his own pricing. And as hosts are competing with Amazon and other services that charge in dollars, hosts change their pricing when the value of Sia changes to adjust to Dollar prices. Average pricing of hosts have been, and will be, around $1/Tb/month, no matter how dramatically the Sia price changes.

On summary: Storage market pricing and Siacoin market dynamics are totally independent

Aby Normal

Activity: 48
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 06:30:45 PM

If the coin price goes up it doesn't have to mean that hosting on SC would be more expensive than competition, just imagine if the number of hosts and users comes close to the level of Google + Amazon + Microsoft - then we would see increased demand for SC and a lot higher coin price ...
Right now we can't really know will it happen or not, but so far the devs did a pretty good job. I remember how the SC client worked when this coin was in early stage and the price was below 10sats, back then it was an adventure to try to set up a host even for pro IT folks like me, now it works like a charm.
With video streaming coming within next 6 months and the ability to share files outside the SC network somewhere by the end of next year I feel like this project has a bright future and the current price (below 200sats) is a steal.
attilafx

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 08:49:10 PM

My pleasure  to help Smiley

Yes, files are encrypted by the client using the Twofish algorithm (one of the most secure that exist) and the splitting and spreading of the file among 30 hosts is also carried out by the client using the Reed-Solomon algorithm.

Those minimal 2000SC are called Collateral, and it a guarantee you offer that you will keep your promise of hosting the files during the whole contract. If you are a good host, you receive them back. If there was no collateral (and this is the concerning case of Filecoin or StorJ), hosts would drop the files they are hosting as soon as another HDD-mineable coin was more profitable than Sia, thus making the files unavailable. Do we want a shit-coin in that conditions? No, for that reason collateral exists. To be a host is not an experiment of a weekend, it is a compromise as you are hosting the files of other people, and that entry point of 2000SC is actually very low. Don't you really have $16 to offer (that will be returned if you are a good host)? Seriously??

And what are devs not delivering, according to you? Sia is a working storage network currently offering 3.5 petabytes of storage among more than 700 hosts worldwide distributed. You have hosts at less than 50milliseconds of ping of every bigger city in the planet (which other storage provider can claim that?). File contracts are being formed every day and renters are uploading and downloading files. Take a look at the growth of file contracts:

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/800/1*lMm30bBkyor9BtnirI9h3w.png
(Source: https://blog.sia.tech/sia-may-august-2017-update-8929f21c56f7)

In a few months, reliability for renters will be revamped, file sharing and file streaming will be available and integration with many other services and apps will be enabled.

So what are they not delivering, according to you? What you might mean is that devs are not making you rich fast? Sorry buddy, but your investment decisions and their consequences are entirely your fault (or your success). Devs are not here to make you rich by you speculating with the price of a coin, devs are here to keep making a better product. And after what I have exposed it should be clear they are doing an incredible work in that sense.

Well like I said, it's not me who decides but the market and let's be honest charts never lie looking at the price. Just saying.
MrSunshine

Activity: 1181
Merit: 259

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 09:17:55 PM

That was near all time highs. I was telling my friends at that time to stay away from crypto as it got to far ahead of itself with prices. It was clear to me it was in a minor bubble. Also if you calculate your losses in USD they would not be as dramatic as compared to BTC as BTC has quite a run of late. In USD terms I think SIA is about 55% off it's ATH.
GaPR

Activity: 353
Merit: 13

coinBusiness / Gapur Ozdoev

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2017, 04:58:58 AM

I would in your place has preserved its SC, perhaps you will be satisfied. Find SC on Poloniex and Bittrex, had already said in favor of this coin.

{Dev coinBusiness -  🔹0x7bbd8533A9096d490B378f4c8fB226Fc0e05FdEb🔹 , }
z0n0
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 06:57:29 AM

So if I understood right: the pricing is about 1$/1TB per month?
Isn't that way to low for regular normal people?

If you look, how many TB do most of regulars have in their system? Probably 1 or 2 TB HDD.
I don't see how this project can be used for small normal people (like myself), I see it only as only big HDD farms can benefit from it.
MrSunshine

Activity: 1181

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 10:46:29 AM

If you look, how many TB do most of regulars have in their system? Probably 1 or 2 TB HDD.
I don't see how this project can be used for small normal people (like myself), I see it only as only big HDD farms can benefit from it.

Normal people benefit because of the lower prices. You can use Sia and pay $2/month and have better privacy, redundancy, with out worrying about some centralized owner changing the rules on you.

Or you could pay a big cloud provider $10/month, worry about them peaking in your files and worry about them cancelling or reducing the service on a whim.

I hope it is clear now how normal people could benefit.
z0n0
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 12:02:12 PM

Normal people benefit because of the lower prices. You can use Sia and pay $2/month and have better privacy, redundancy, with out worrying about some centralized owner changing the rules on you.

Or you could pay a big cloud provider $10/month, worry about them peaking in your files and worry about them cancelling or reducing the service on a whim.

I hope it is clear now how normal people could benefit.

Yes, thank you.
BillCoin

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 12:55:16 PM

SiaCoin is slowly recovering it's price as digibyte skyrockets and increases its value in about 50% less then one week.

What do you guys think about what siacoin price is going to be in the next few days?
As a holder I expect atleast a 20% increase to the rate of 250 sat/sc , it would be great!
smokiebean

Activity: 17

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 02:41:37 PM

shit coin..
Pages: « 1 ... 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 [288] 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 ... 496 »
  Print  

Jump to: