Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:21:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 [468] 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1382129 times)
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 02:58:39 AM

Just a cautionary tale.

Tried to install the Siacoin Wallet 1.37 is it. While I was installing it...for some reason...kept flashing the private keys in the password black box underneath.

When had already put in the seed keys, OK.

No matter what I did, I could not put a password in that black box area. When I would move the mouse outside

of the area (password), the private keys would flash in that box. Finally gave up and tried to re-install.

Cleaned everything out. As far as I know everywhere with registry mechanic etc etc

on reinstall, it still wants a password.

So it seems once you fail to install and it thinks you need a password you can't get rid of everything from the wallet to start over with a new seed

and or password from scratch.

So gonna try it on another laptop. Annoying, however, I mean I used everything cccleaner/registry mechanic/advanced system care etc etc

er no go

anyway, an FYI...in case someone else sees the password not allowing input I saw above...not sure...may have the same issue on the other laptop.

Will let folk know if I have any luck on the other laptop. Both are Windows 10 64 bit units.

As an aside IS THERE ANY LEGIT PAPER WALLET ...I also saw the 'kinda' supported one on git hub..as you can tell from above unless it is an idiot proof

install...I'm usually jinx'd.

GitHub installs usually fail on my confusion on wtf they are asking me to do Sad

Anyway, be aware, once you have a FAIL on the Siacoin Wallet install 1.37..it does not seem to forgive and let you try to be a virgin install again. Even with

your proper seeds.

brad

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 03:01:05 AM

SiaClassic is thrilled to announce we’ll be collaborating with ActiveAether to use the storage in our network. Led by visionary founder, Robert MacInnis, Ph.D., an expert in distributed systems and a pioneer in fog computing, ActiveAether utilizes processing power on computers across the globe as part of its serverless fog platform. Computer owners are compensated via ActiveAether’s FogCoin cryptocurrency.
https://link.medium.com/AidpFVkGyR

Unless folk can get at least within spitting difference of electric costs on a Bitmain A3 unit at 815gh and 1375 watts or some such. You can count me out.

That would be the majority of blake2b equipment NON-obelisk out in the world IMHO...I figure probably 3/4 of all miners are the Bitmain A3 that could do

Siacoin Classic.

Just saying....willing but don't need a 'space heater' this winter that bad (yet?)

brad

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
iwhoss

Activity: 203
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2018, 03:52:18 AM

SiaClassic is thrilled to announce we’ll be collaborating with ActiveAether to use the storage in our network. Led by visionary founder, Robert MacInnis, Ph.D., an expert in distributed systems and a pioneer in fog computing, ActiveAether utilizes processing power on computers across the globe as part of its serverless fog platform. Computer owners are compensated via ActiveAether’s FogCoin cryptocurrency.

Unless folk can get at least within spitting difference of electric costs on a Bitmain A3 unit at 815gh and 1375 watts or some such. You can count me out.

That would be the majority of blake2b equipment NON-obelisk out in the world IMHO...I figure probably 3/4 of all miners are the Bitmain A3 that could do

Siacoin Classic.

Just saying....willing but don't need a 'space heater' this winter that bad (yet?)

brad

Hi Brad, I understand your concerns but if your not aware the SiaClassic Foundation was created to honor Vorick’s original vision of a completely de-centralized file storage infrastructure, all running on the Sia network. The decision to hard fork the coin is completely counterintuitive to the original vision; that no central actor could make decisions. This hard fork, as planned, will brick the other miners, essentially creating a mining monopoly through Obelisk, which is wholly owned by Vorick and Champine’s corporation, Nebulous. SiaClassic Foundation was formed to ensure the future of Siacoin because it appears that Nebulous is no longer adhering to the original vision for Siacoin. The SiaClassic Foundation, a non-profit organization, has a mission to ensure that there is no one central conglomeration of power, but that development and research takes place in an open and transparent atmosphere.

███ PrinterDAO █   Decentralized Printing on the blockchain ███                      
Collectable Printing platfrom
█ [Iintroduction of the Printer $PRINT token ] [BITCOINTALK] [Reddit] [Telegram] [TWITTER] [Discord] █
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 05:18:28 AM

Siacoin Classic.

brad

Hi Brad, I understand your concerns but if your not aware the SiaClassic Foundation was created to honor Vorick’s original vision of a completely de-centralized file storage infrastructure, all running on the Sia network. The decision to hard fork the coin is completely counterintuitive to the original vision; that no central actor could make decisions. This hard fork, as planned, will brick the other miners, essentially creating a mining monopoly through Obelisk, which is wholly owned by Vorick and Champine’s corporation, Nebulous. SiaClassic Foundation was formed to ensure the future of Siacoin because it appears that Nebulous is no longer adhering to the original vision for Siacoin. The SiaClassic Foundation, a non-profit organization, has a mission to ensure that there is no one central conglomeration of power, but that development and research takes place in an open and transparent atmosphere.

I don't disagree...but the purpose of siacoin is to have a decentralized anonymous cloud-based storage setup to compete against Amazon Cloud at 10c to the $1.

thus no matter what the fork (even if it copies this vision) unless siacoin and/ solutions or others come up with something like this that WORKS

Siacoin or any of the flavors of forked coin will fail. The price (speculative) is on this particular vision working. I myself am not hearing a lot of folk saying how they are

having fun putting up siatech on HD's and such or minerbox's that make sense to buy..to host cloud storage in anticipation of selling cloud storage nor any of the

supposed 2018 push to start talking about taking on Amazon Cloud as the siatech 2018 timeline states....pretty much nada...deafening silence...zippo...

So you make a coin with a purpose..the purpose is not being pursued or promoted properly (IMHO). What is the basis of Siacoin price based on?

It was an eventual anonymous decentralized network of cloud storage...now....er....that leg of the stool seems to be gone at the present time.

1) speculators on the coin for this vision working "check"

2) ASIC's to run securely this network or in the case of other forks of this network vision "check'

3) an actual working hosting project with a decent user interface and at a cost (equip wise HD's etc) to compete against Amazon Cloud? "er nope"

speculation to determine price is fine...ASIC's for networks security is fine....more coins, forked or otherwise, with the same vision and decentralization fine...

but unless someone comes up with a cost-effective network and marketing plan on how to take on Amazon Cloud price and function wise in the future...the forked or

siacoin has no future ...price or purpose wise...the coin(s) forked or otherwise have to have a purpose rather than 1) its a coin with a plan and 2) secure ASIC network

so again where the hell is the progress on 3) decentralized cost effective anonymous network to compete in the world? Nowhere to be seen in any major way.

or anyway how I see it...

NOTE: disclaimer!

Also, did not figure a Bitmain A3 at 815gh and 1375 watts would fly for any of the forked coins...but was just asking Smiley

by the by I have BENEFITED from the fork...to obelisk only units....in that I would have held BTC anyway, had I not got any...so I need 1.11 BTC to break even in USD

(not so much BTC) but USD to call it a wash. After 2017 'dubious' purchase of 5 Siacoin units (of which 1 board is bad...sigh) Sad So with the 2/3 decline in BTC price

etc, etc, 1.11 of BTC will break me even. 20/20 hindsight wise from what I can figure out. (again, in that I would have been in HODL mode on BTC anyway) Sad

Looking like that MAY just be possible now...even after some of my 5 units have been sitting about as doorstops for as much as 2 months Smiley Its a miracle!

But the reality is ...any siacoin or forked siacoin has to put up or shut up on the vision of the cloud storage...or it all is just so much smoke and mirrors.

That eventually will be realized as all these coins will have dust prices and no worth.

So, with all this out of the way. It is put up or shut up time by SIACOIN or ANY of the forked coins to progress on this path. Again IMHO.

Too bad the $50 ($37.50 with equip deduction 2018) Bitmain A3 unit I got as 'shelf art' is too far in the past to run on the forked coins, or I'd give it a shot.

Alas, I have other 'space heaters' in the basement for winter heat that lose less $$$ than a Bitmain A3! (even at my above price

good luck with your project

brad

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 05:33:48 AM

Here is the Siacoin Calculator used

https://cryptorival.com/calcs/siacoin/#

Well, this can't be correct right? 5 Siacoin Miners with 1 board down. Gives me supposedly at (with 1 board down) 2,450gh at 0.0065582884 Siacoin USD price

This miner actually reminds me of the KnCMiner Jupiters pictured below.

People who ordered it initially had no idea it was going to be a very profitable miner. I think they sold in Aug/Sept 2013 and by then the price of BTC was maybe $150, however in November 2013 when it was delivered it was $1100 and these units I think were able to pull in $500 a day. It was probably the most profitable miners every released and 100% of all customers were satisfied with the ASICs.

yep...Oct 18th, 2013 my first KNC Jupiter. I made about 1 BTC a day and the price that day, if I remember correctly was $150 USD per BTC!

I got this unit with 1/2 paid for knc unit, with sold game of thrones swords (book version...HBO sued them..they pointed out they had permission from the

books to make all weapons etc..HBO had to pay big and crawl to get them on board...lol) anyway, due to the HBO series the swords I had gone up

in value paid for 1/2 ..I was bored and gonna put up the lost gonzo bbs game server again anyway...(big bbs) that was a $75 or so month in electric

cost loss anyway ...again bored...

So I got this KNC Jupiter BTC miner instead. Figured I'd help the newly developed 'microlending' in India and crypto. Did a chart from that 0ct 18th 2013

date..that MAYBE with the gradual difficulty rise, I maybe could pay off the KNC miner in 8 months and maybe, just maybe mine enough for Utilities paid

on the house for say 4-6 months as a bonus. So essentially my entire BTC HODL hoard and altcoins and retire early this last Jan 13th, 2018 (living on altcoins

till full 66 years and take soc security and full traditional stocks etc then..trying to HODL BTC still)

Is due to me being 'bored' and wanting to put up the game server again and did this for 'egalitarian' reasons..microlending in India and of course to not

spend $75 in electric, for the game server hobby out of pocket. So ALL my crypto benefits come from this (1) KNC Jupiter BTC miner that cost me $5,131.80.

It paid its own way electric wise etc as I doubled down in equipment etc since. To generate the crypto I have to retire early and the BTC HOLD hoard.

I'm out of mining MAYBE I THOUGHT by Jan 1st, 2019.

But hell, maybe siatech will get a network up that works ....sillier things have happened ...like my 5 obelisk doorstops from the last 2 months turned

on suddenly now an making $$$ due to a fork and the network going down to like 12% of some such of what it was previously.

Life is odd indeed ..re-reading above

brad

johnwellfluk

Activity: 98
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 05:34:06 AM

Oh come on, the wallet doesn't even work...

It seems that one of the folder's name is too long.
It also seems that delayed_stream.js is too long or something.

I think my wi-fi just sucks and corrupted the download... That would explain why it finished downloading so quickly...
The surprising thing is, the wallet actually opens but the only tab that works is the peers tab.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 05:46:05 AM

Oh come on, the wallet doesn't even work...

It seems that one of the folder's name is too long.
It also seems that delayed_stream.js is too long or something.

I think my wi-fi just sucks and corrupted the download... That would explain why it finished downloading so quickly...
The surprising thing is, the wallet actually opens but the only tab that works is the peers tab.

I forgot to mention in my boring long (I have no Saturday Nite Life) posts above I got my Siacoin 1.37 wallet to work on the machine that it was stuck on.

(see my previous posts)

I forgot to clear out under roaming ..the directory there

also did a search of sia and found another file

now it seems to be working and shows wallet password as a virgin install again and working fine

anyway, do the above it SHOULD work then. Or at least it seems to be in that it shows virgin password icon now again as it syncs.

but again, weird obelisk sc1's on Sept 30th, 2018 were going for $400 bucks on eBay or some such...miner sat as doorstops (5) one for 2 months!

now merrily working and making me $$$

I just need 1.11 BTC back to call it even as to 2017 was a wash, in that I would have held the BTC anyway before someone else copies these units again in 2-3 months

..its a race...much better than looking at them as doorstops however..that was depressing...

my whole crypto experience has been 'dumb luck' rules!

as to the future I recommend everyone 'attic mine' crap and sell stuff you would otherwise die with from your attic on eBay....and put into

crypto. You now have an empty attic you can make into the rec room and raise house value $15k. (even if crypto goes tulips). IF crypto

continues you look like a 'genius' with a rec room too boot, 2-4 years from now. Win/Win.

but pretty much home mining is dead..I'm not gonna dump crypto to ASIC's to crypto in data halls anymore..those days of pulling that off are gone...

so that is what I tell folk and newbies to do now or what I'm gonna do now with my attic (got to have $5k of crap up there..but eBay sales are soooo boring! Sad

later..

brad

boomboom

Activity: 1068
Merit: 523

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 09:49:51 AM

Sia has a great application in decentralised storage, but nebulous is a profit making business, and they defended their turf from attack from a competitor . Sia is not a leaderless currency like Bitcoin, the storage is decentralised, the devs aren't, we know who they are and they are entrepreneurs,  not libertarian activists.

Mining is good to distribute the tokens fairly, but securing the network would best be done using something like komodo's delayed PoW notarization system which effectively adds Bitcoin level security. Separate the decentralised storage from the centralised dev structure and this fork makes sense.

BtcVolcano

Activity: 672
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 10:56:54 AM

It's time to move on, the fork was a success, sia is ready for the next bull run, time to accumulate!
Very good call to purchase. Perhaps now is a very good time to buy coins and also like the market to this has
nabilapimpo

Activity: 602
Merit: 10

Decentralized Ascending Auctions on Blockchain

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 09:42:23 PM

It's time to move on, the fork was a success, sia is ready for the next bull run, time to accumulate!
Very good call to purchase. Perhaps now is a very good time to buy coins and also like the market to this has
Precisely, the current market conditions are indeed quite good,  not Just for this coin, this situation also happens to virtually all the coins in the market. This can we take advantage of to invest as much as possible with the capital we have and profited from it.

iBid    ▐    Decentralized Auctions on Blockchain   (❪  ► About us   ► Telegram  ❫)
◾ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬            AN  AUCTION    ❱    All auctions start at    $0
[   ◥   Google Play      ◥   App Store   ]  ██ SIGN UP ██  ❱   with no minimum reserve
boomboom

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 11:00:50 PM

Precisely, the current market conditions are indeed quite good,  not Just for this coin, this situation also happens to virtually all the coins in the market. This can we take advantage of to invest as much as possible with the capital we have and profited from it.

I agree sia is great buy at the moment, even after the fork, devs have shown they are prepared to make difficult decisions for the long term viability of the decentralized storage platform, that is very positive, they are determined to succeed.
Luvr1000

Activity: 504
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 11:14:05 PM

very promising coins, in my opinion, the price reached $ 0.1. What are the prospects for this coin. Do you think if I buy it in the long run, it’s ok
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 12:40:19 AM

very promising coins, in my opinion, the price reached $ 0.1. What are the prospects for this coin. Do you think if I buy it in the long run, it’s ok

Well, what do folk think? (I have no clue) Sad

Will, the previous NON-obelisk miners/GPU's etc that probably account for 90% of all the coined mined previous to 11/1/18 fork sell?

or even after obelisk kinda yanked the rug out from under...they will HODL?

What do folk that DON'T have an Obelisk miner doing? I realize the Bitmain A3 at 815gh and like 1375 watts is probably off the table for

any mining of any siacoin forked or not.....that boat has sailed..but again..probably 40-50% of Siacoin was mined by these folk....assuming

they were in HODL mode...I wonder what the selling ratio or HODL ratio will end up being in a couple months?

anyway, again, I know zip...just tossing it out there on this thread

brad

Delphinus

Activity: 560
Merit: 112

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 09:33:01 AM

Will, the previous NON-obelisk miners/GPU's etc that probably account for 90% of all the coined mined previous to 11/1/18 fork sell?

What do folk that DON'T have an Obelisk miner doing? I realize the Bitmain A3 at 815gh and like 1375 watts is probably off the table for

any mining of any siacoin forked or not.....that boat has sailed..but again..probably 40-50% of Siacoin was mined by these folk....assuming

they were in HODL mode...I wonder what the selling ratio or HODL ratio will end up being in a couple months?

brad

Although I know that crypto markets are still based on a lot of "hype" and "FUD", I do think at some point they will reflect "market value". In which case the price of SIA should be reflecting the current customers, income and potential future of the product.

When someone in that case dumps a lot of coins, it should attract new investors because it undervalues the company. That's at least my long term view, that it shouldn't matter. On the short term, I agree that disgruntled investors might cause the price to go down. Although I do think that the current miners are less inclined to dump. As usual, it could go either way.

Branko

Activity: 2450
Merit: 318

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 10:47:43 AM
Merited by Searing (1)

brad

Although I know that crypto markets are still based on a lot of "hype" and "FUD", I do think at some point they will reflect "market value". In which case the price of SIA should be reflecting the current customers, income and potential future of the product.

When someone in that case dumps a lot of coins, it should attract new investors because it undervalues the company. That's at least my long term view, that it shouldn't matter. On the short term, I agree that disgruntled investors might cause the price to go down. Although I do think that the current miners are less inclined to dump. As usual, it could go either way.

I expect Bitmain to dump a lot of SC as they're probably mined a lot by themselves...to collect their BTC and to "punish" SIA by dropping coin price...
of course, I could be wrong, but so far they didn't paint themselves as friendly company
lebow

Activity: 9

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 02:07:07 PM

Now exclude other miners, SC1 miners are not paying attention to dumping their coins, today btc price increases but SC still fell. . . . Is this the so-called development of SC? I want to swear
voteformeg
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 04:11:41 PM

a year ago i had the chanche to buy an sc-1 for sia but at that time i choose the DCR-1 above  SC-1 , i regret my choiche a little , sia was a much better choiche
BitMaver

Activity: 742
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 10:06:27 PM
Merited by kaicrypzen (1)

Sia Community Update — October 2018
"This update will cover happenings for September and October."
- Developer’s Corner
- Sia v1.3.7 – the hardfork
- The exchange situation
- New software
- The value of self-help

Learn more: https://blog.sia.tech/sia-community-update-october-2018-c80b43648970.

boomboom

View Profile
November 06, 2018, 01:35:19 AM

Sia Community Update — October 2018
"This update will cover happenings for September and October."
- Developer’s Corner
- Sia v1.3.7 – the hardfork
- The exchange situation
- New software
- The value of self-help

Learn more: https://blog.sia.tech/sia-community-update-october-2018-c80b43648970.

Very good update, great to have the fork behind us, onwards and upwards!
visz

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 06, 2018, 05:01:40 AM

Thank god, at least the SC miner from Obelisk can do a lil wonder. But sadly, those who holding DCR might not be getting ROI at all. Emailed the team, they say the Decred wouldnt fork theirs.
Pages: « 1 ... 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 [468] 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 »
  Print  

Jump to: