Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:16:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Depositors insurance?  (Read 2236 times)
Draino

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 06:02:52 PM

Insurance is just a way to get other people to pay for your ignorance, negligence or bad luck ... in the end someone will have to pay for the lost value. I for one don't wane pay for other's ignorance or negligence. As for bad luck, shit happens learn how to deal with it, for true bad luck you can usually count on the community/people around you ... if you can't your probably doing something wrong to start with.

So no thx, I'l pass.
There is no need for any kind of insurance scam.

Sounds like a solid contingency plan to me:

don't worry these things, my mom will hug me

I guess you rather leach on others to make sure your sweet life can keep on rolling, ow yha it's not leaching sins every one singed up on it, including the insiders (people) that will try to get value out of the system for what ever scheme they can come up with.

As for the 'mom' reference, grow up. If my house burns down I'm sure the people in this small town will provide everything I need to build a new one and we will deal with payments/reimbursement later

i think the bolded parts are a contradiction

isn't it more like you'd be accepting the reality that absolutely terrible things can happen, and willing to pay for a service that will smooth out the bumps, instead of relying on pity?

i think i have some kind of independence complex though, and i would rather hedge risks rather than accept charity after a catastrophe

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Insu Dra

Activity: 182

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 07:22:19 PM

I guess you rather leach on others to make sure your sweet life can keep on rolling
If my house burns down I'm sure the people in this small town will provide everything I need to build a new one and we will deal with payments/reimbursement later

i think the bolded parts are a contradiction

i think i have some kind of independence complex though, and i would rather hedge risks rather than accept charity after a catastrophe

What ? Unlike insurance, we actually repay our depth and the help you can expect depends exactly on your ability to do so, I would not call it pity or charity at all. It is a simple business deal that relay's on common sense and does not rely on a system open to abuse or leaches.

Hedging a few 100k by paying 100 usd a month for insurance sounds more like charity to me .... not to mention the faq that in most cases you can simply stop paying after you received your claim. Savings or hard assets are the only true hedge and let me tell you those are a lot easier to build up if you can drop all the charity scams ... euh sorry insurances.

As to independence ? Are you kidding me, with insurance you are bound to the company you pay, on top of that often they will dictate where to go and how to get things fixed. I can accept or refuse help from who ever I want, you tell me who's independent ?

As others pointed out, insurance is inherently fraudulent and flawed.

"drugs, guns, and gambling for anyone and everyone!"
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 07:26:55 PM

As others pointed out, insurance is inherently fraudulent and flawed.

You're confused. "inherently" != "often".

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Insu Dra

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 07:31:40 PM

As others pointed out, insurance is always fraudulent and flawed.
You're confused. "always" != "often".

there you go, fixed it for yha ....

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 08:13:10 PM

Insurance is not inherently fraudulent.

It's nothing more than allowing customers to spread out the cost of large, infrequent losses over time into small periodic payments.

Every person who drives a car will eventually experience an accident of some kind. By buying insurance drivers pay for their accidents a little bit every month instead of getting a big bill all at one.

Over a driver's lifetime he will pay the insurance company more than the cost of the accidents he's experienced (insurance companies don't work for free). This excess is the price of predictability.

In a free market the cost of insurance would tend towards its optimum value, but of course whenever coersion is involved proper pricing goes out the window.

The theoretical equilibrium monthly cost for deposit insurance would be something like: [(the average amount of bitcoins a depositor will lose at a particular institution during the next 10 years)/120 + (insurance company operating costs and profits)]
Insu Dra

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 11:00:53 PM
Last edit: September 07, 2012, 11:26:37 PM by Insu Dra

Every person who drives a car will eventually experience an accident of some kind. By buying insurance drivers pay for their accidents a little bit every month instead of getting a big bill all at one.

Over a driver's lifetime he will pay the insurance company more than the cost of the accidents he's experienced (insurance companies don't work for free). This excess is the price of predictability.

In a perfect world this would be the case but it's far from true for all cases. A down to earth example is a car crash with heavy casualties, in allot of cases this will result in costs that exceed the life time contributions of the people involved. For these cases the insurance company's rely on investments and/or insurances between them to pull the balance sheets up again. But in the end some one always has to pay and thats always the people paying insurance in the first place.

On top of that people have the choice to stop paying insurance after they have received a big claim, in that case who payed for it ?

And keep in mind this is a down to earth example, if your talking about insuring deposits or securities scale of numbers goes up dramatically and someone ends up paying for that as well.

On a side note: What happened after Katrina in the usa ? Every one had to start paying more to cover that one event.

In a free market the cost of insurance would tend towards its optimum value, but of course whenever coersion is involved proper pricing goes out the window.

Exactly, some personal examples:

- Long time ago in Belgium after a storm a tree fell on my house, I start calling around for prices and inform the insurance. The offers I got personally where about 20-45% cheaper then those so called experts made for insurance company, they ended up paying about 35% more then the guy I would have worked with. Forced insurance by local city law, you can't own a house without it.

- Not so long ago in Sweden someone drove against my car in a parking lot, again I call around and inform insurance. This time the price difference was 50% and they ended up paying 50% more then I would have payed for the repairs. Forced insurance by state law, you don't get license plate without it and you are not allowed to drive a car without plates.

In both examples the insurance company picked the more expensive option even after I pointed out the cheaper alternative. They prefer to work with "partners" .... And no the personal offers I got where fully legit, no book keeping tricks involved.

You don't have to look far to find many more examples, some even very extreme and it's not hard to create your own.

No mater how fair the insurance company wants to be the whole concept of insurance is flawed and pulls in people looking to make some easy money. There are to many parties and variables involved to regulate it with 100% certainty and the scale of risk management ends up being nothing more then speculation.

I would say your monthly cost for deposits demo was missing 2 (or more variables) variables:
[(the average amount of bitcoins a depositor will lose at a particular institution during the next 10 years)/120 + (insurance company operating costs and profits) + "(Internal) Scams" + "(Internal) Partners" + ...]

The end result of insurance is always the same a majority ends up pay for a minority, the minority ether has some really bad luck or more likely is trying to scam the system one way or a other. Insurance fraud schemes are older then the banking system it's self, the scams where possible before banks excited and got even easier after banks where introduced.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 11:26:35 PM

I would say your monthly cost deposit demo was missing 2 (or more variables) variables:
[(the average amount of bitcoins a depositor will lose at a particular institution during the next 10 years)/120 + (insurance company operating costs and profits) + "(Internal) Scams" + "(Internal) Partners" + ...]

The end result of insurance is always the same a majority ends up pay for a minority, the minority ether has some really bad luck or more likely is trying to scam the system one way or a other. Insurance fraud schemes are older then the banking system it's self, the scam where possible before banks excited and got even easier after banks where introduced.
Since the fraud drives the up price there would be less of it in a free market because there would be no laws forcing people to buy. Mandatory insurance laws effectively subsidize the fraud.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 11:27:51 PM

In a perfect world this would be the case but it's far from true for all cases.

I'm gonna stop ya right there... This is essentially an admission that you're statement "Insurance is inherently flawed" [emphasis added] is false. To spell it out ever further: if "it's far from true for all cases", you're implying that it is true in some cases.

What you really mean to be saying is that insurance is usually a rip-off. I completely agree with that, but making blanket absolutist false statements is not helpful.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Insu Dra

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 12:01:58 AM
Last edit: September 08, 2012, 09:29:11 AM by Insu Dra

I would say your monthly cost deposit demo was missing 2 (or more variables) variables:

The end result of insurance is always the same a majority ends up pay for a minority.
Since the fraud drives the up price there would be less of it in a free market because there would be no laws forcing people to buy. Mandatory insurance laws effectively subsidize the fraud.

I agree, problem is that insurance often enforces it self even in a free market, once it exists people will often stop offering you services unless you are insured. Thats also a result of free market mechanics where people want maximize profit by reducing risk.

Insurance is the fast and easy way out but from my point of view the wrong way. People need to learn how to insure them selfs and there environment, long term the best way to do that is to build up assets and that can be done allot faster without paying in to insurance schemes. And yes that is hard in a time where people are trained to rely on government to tuck them in at night.

Thats why I made my initial statement:
"Put a penny aside for a rainy day"
Insurance ? not thx I'l pass ...

I'm gonna stop ya right there... This is essentially an admission that you're statement "Insurance is inherently flawed" [emphasis added] is false. To spell it out ever further: if "it's far from true for all cases", you're implying that it is true in some cases.

What you really mean to be saying is that insurance is usually a rip-off. I completely agree with that, but making blanket absolutist false statements is not helpful.

Ok, I see what you mean, let me blame that on translating, working on it.

Personally I believe a insurance can work mathematically but due to all the variables and parties involved it is impossible for any type of insurance company to work on a large scale and/or long term without being abused. I hope that clears that up a bit.

Draino

Activity: 168

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 02:02:41 AM

What ? Unlike insurance, we actually repay our depth and the help you can expect depends exactly on your ability to do so, I would not call it pity or charity at all. It is a simple business deal that relay's on common sense and does not rely on a system open to abuse or leaches.

Charity is exactly the word for what you're describing.  I think I would be grateful, but also stubbornly unable to accept others pay for my "ignorance, negligence or bad luck"--or at least I'd feel like I owed these people more than I could possibly repay-- and I would certainly not expect or rely on it to.. insure.. customer assets.
Insu Dra

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 08:24:17 AM
Last edit: September 08, 2012, 09:54:51 AM by Insu Dra

Charity is exactly the word for what you're describing.  I think I would be grateful, but also stubbornly unable to accept others pay for my "ignorance, negligence or bad luck"--or at least I'd feel like I owed these people more than I could possibly repay-- and I would certainly not expect or rely on it to.. insure.. customer assets.

Please explain to me how insurance isn't charity ? Every one paying insurance simply seem to accept that all there money goes to others bad luck unless you encounter some of your own.

I'm not sure how it works in English but in Dutch charity translates directly to words that grew out of religion. A word used to stop people from helping one and other, there would be people abusing them if they did and to combat that you had to pay charity to the congregation, the leaders of said congregation would make sure the help got to the people that "needed" it. To me it just seems very funny how the word "insurance" is now used by corporations in the exact same manner and people seem to "believe" in it.

Lending your neighbors some of your assets, accepting handouts from support groups, paying insurance, ... there just different systems to protect your self and your fellow man from bad luck. Two of them being centralized and hard to protect against abuse, the other decentralized and easy to not pay towards abuse.

and I would certainly not expect or rely on it to.. insure.. customer assets.

I would never insure,  I would prefer to give them a higher return or cheaper services. However in case of costumer assets I would make sure I have other assets or means to back them up. And no I'm not just talking, believe it or not there are people out there that do business this way.

I once asked my costumers for a advance on payments to replace a small server farm after a fire and they did exactly that in return they got years worth of services. It was ether them or a loan with high interest. They where happy with the service, trusted me and realized the loan would mean more expenses for me and higher prices for them. (the same would have been true if I had insurance, it would have lead to higher prices for them)

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 09:00:35 AM

Okay, after consideration, I will retract my assertion that insurance is inherently fraudulent.

But a fully-collateralized Bitcoin underwriter would need to hold up to half of all Bitcoins in existence, on top of collecting fees to cover costs.  Worse, much worse, in order to minimize these costs, and maximize its profits, a Bitcoin insurer would use this considerable clout to impose draconian regulations upon the entire Bitcoin economy, whether you opt for insurance or not.

And then there is the gangland warfare that would result from competing insurers, to consider.

So, in my opinion, this is another example of something that you are perfectly welcome to copy from the mainstream financial system, and incorporate into Bitcoin, if you want.  But you had better understand the consequences of doing so.  I really don't think it would be worth the cost in the long run.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: