Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:57:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: colored bitcoin tech discussion  (Read 13120 times)
killerstorm (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 08:40:28 AM

Why would you want to:

1) implement a complex technology to retrofit to existing Bitcoin

2) that may have catastrophic capacity issues and introduce a whole new tier of policing problems to Bitcoin

3) that requires a THIRD or even a FOURTH technology(some of which themselves are unproven or even unspecified) in order to achieve auxiliary functions

Just to do what Confidence Chains does simply, elegantly, efficiently and natively?

Well, what kind of reply do you expect?

It looks like the idea behind Confidence Chains is "Let's just trust some guys to secure transaction processing", and it just isn't something I'm interested working on, sorry.

(Besides that, I believe there are major flaws in Confidence Chains design, but I'm not going to discuss them in this thread as this would be off-topic; and we already discussed them in bitcoinX mailing list anyway.)

Another reason for me to work on colored coins specifically is that I don't have enough confidence to work on a completely new cryptocurrency. The good thing about colored coins is that they inherit almost all properties from Bitcoin itself. I like the simplicity of design.

As for capacity issues, I already explained that I do not find them important. When Satoshi released Bitcoin people complained that it won't scale, but look at where Bitcoin is now.

I prefer to do the simple thing first. Is it useful? Yes, it is.

It doesn't solve everything, of course. But I prefer multi-layer design to a monolithic thing which would try to do everything at once. (I don't think that a decentralized replacement for NYSE is even possible, by the way.)

I think it's fairly obvious that you're trying to criticize colored coins to promote your Confidence Chains. Well, do you know why people ignore you? Is it some kind of a global conspiracy? No, it's just an obviously bad design.

But the general idea of trust-based consensus is sensible; and if you're interested in things like that, you might be able to cooperate with others and make something good. But to do that you need to be ready to ditch your own ideas and listen to others. I hope you realize that spending all efforts to push the first thing which came to your mind isn't exactly a healthy thing to do sooner rather than later.

(FYI before I started working on colored coins, I was working on an  alt-coin design and on distributed Ripple analog based on merged mining (Ripple.com wasn't public back then). I still believe I had some good ideas, but colored coins just had much higher chances of success, so that's what I focused on.)

Chromia: a better dapp platform
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: