Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:20:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Poloniex adds margin trading but wants your profile  (Read 6210 times)
2dogs (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:18:57 PM

Profile Incomplete

On May 20th, Poloniex will require your first name, last name, and country of residence to process withdrawals.

Please provide this information on your Profile as soon as possible.

WTF?   Angry
Did anyone get the email they proclaim to have sent?
I found out on the trollbox.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
2dogs (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:22:17 PM

Just got the email:

Greetings from Poloniex!

We're happy to announce that Margin Trading with Peer-to-Peer Lending is now available at Poloniex! You can now borrow funds from lending users to open long and short positions with 2.5x leverage on our XMR, DASH, XPR and LTC Margin Trading platform. You can also loan funds in the same selected markets in 1 day intervals at up to 5% interest.

In addition, we are requiring that all users provide us with their first name, last name, and country of origin by May 20th, 2015. This information is mandatory for all users and all withdrawals. Go to your Profile page to get started.

The Poloniex Team

Again, WTF?
erre
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1205

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:22:57 PM

I got that . Wtf  Huh

Roll a dice FOR FREE every hour, and win up to $200 in btc ---> CLICK HERE

Tip me using the LIGHTING NETWORK! -->https://tippin.me/@Erre96344121
2dogs (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:57:22 PM

Time to find another exchange?

Or say my name is John Doe, location Nigeria?
erre
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1205

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 10:13:48 PM

I was thinking about santa Klaus from the north pole... but I fear they could block your account. Anyway, 2 days is a very short term notice  Sad

Moving my alts to craptsy...

Roll a dice FOR FREE every hour, and win up to $200 in btc ---> CLICK HERE

Tip me using the LIGHTING NETWORK! -->https://tippin.me/@Erre96344121
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 10:29:07 PM

I was really glad to see this at the top of the service discussion section!

I get that they are based in the USA and want to comply with US law, but this is a big change and very short notice.  Worse, right now they are having delays sending email messages to confirm withdrawals.

I respect their right to change, I just wish they had respected me with enough notice to decide if I wanted to keep trading with them or remove my coins in an orderly manner.

Very disappointed.
digit
Legendary

Activity: 1672
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2015, 10:31:04 PM

Just another way for them to legally scam and steal from their users,  even if you verified they reserve the right to downgrade you and keep your coins Wink

By agreeing to our Terms, you acknowledge and understand that Poloniex maintains verification levels which require user participation and verification in order to obtain, with leveled permissions based on user-supplied information, our ability to verify it, and our internal policies. You accept that you may not be able to achieve a desired level of verification, and Poloniex reserves the right to determine, at its sole discretion, the appropriate Verification Level for any user, as well as the right to downgrade users without prior notice. Poloniex may, from time to time, implement policies restricting Verification Levels by nationality, country of residence, or any other factor. This may affect your ability to withdraw funds in your account and you indemnify Poloniex against any losses associated with an inability to deposit and/or withdraw funds based on your verification level.

and margin trading and lending on a site that provides no proof of its funds = potential for fractional reserve and abuse by exchange against its user in markets as it effectively is able to lend more bitcoin then they own in attempt to cash in on interest repayments.  Anyone thinking they can make money lending here is going to find themselves competing with the exchange itself which can offer infinite bitcoins at any rate they choose.  Because they dont have to prove the bitcoins exist, poloniex can mix in their own loan offers with the real ones from users and effectively make money with no risk at all. Undecided

Stay Safe and use NO KYC exchanges ■ Craig Wright is NOT Satoshi  ■
BTC:1DigitwteXwFcRAaWpVDRp6eKqzC6y9tgm ■ ŁTC:LKMcEHoFWHAUoRscqW1cwjhLgFrk7MgCWU ■ Coinkit:digit ■ §digit
2dogs (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 10:59:34 PM

I respect their right to change, I just wish they had respected me with enough notice to decide if I wanted to keep trading with them or remove my coins in an orderly manner.

Exactly right on the timing!

2 days notice?

I smell BS all around.
2dogs (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 11:04:30 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2015, 01:49:37 AM by 2dogs

Just another way for them to legally scam and steal from their users,  even if you verified they reserve the right to downgrade you and keep your coins Wink

By agreeing to our Terms, you acknowledge and understand that Poloniex maintains verification levels which require user participation and verification in order to obtain, with leveled permissions based on user-supplied information, our ability to verify it, and our internal policies. You accept that you may not be able to achieve a desired level of verification, and Poloniex reserves the right to determine, at its sole discretion, the appropriate Verification Level for any user, as well as the right to downgrade users without prior notice. Poloniex may, from time to time, implement policies restricting Verification Levels by nationality, country of residence, or any other factor. This may affect your ability to withdraw funds in your account and you indemnify Poloniex against any losses associated with an inability to deposit and/or withdraw funds based on your verification level.

and margin trading and lending on a site that provides no proof of its funds = potential for fractional reserve and abuse by exchange against its user in markets as it effectively is able to lend more bitcoin then they own in attempt to cash in on interest repayments.  Anyone thinking they can make money lending here is going to find themselves competing with the exchange itself which can offer infinite bitcoins at any rate they choose.  Because they dont have to prove the bitcoins exist, poloniex can mix in their own loan offers with the real ones from users and effectively make money with no risk at all. Undecided

Good point - hadn't thought about the fractional reserve aspect.

They can say good-bye to a lot of reserves (accounts) due to the profile completion requirement, IMO.

To Cryptsy, it is.
Lorenzo

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 01:31:52 AM

I got the same message while withdrawing coins a few minutes ago.

I've noticed that they added USDT (Tether USD) markets but this restriction seems to apply for all altcoin withdrawals - even those that have nothing to do with fiat which doesn't really make sense.

Why can't they just do what Cryptsy is doing and only require your real name/identity for USD markets?
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 04:59:51 AM

as long as they don't want a copy of your ID or some shit it's up to you. just give them fake data

amiryaqot
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 08:02:22 AM

as long as they don't want a copy of your ID or some shit it's up to you. just give them fake data

just enter fake data in step 1 and get verified so after this your daily withdraw limit will raise to $2000, level 2 also don't need any kind of your data copy.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 10:23:04 AM

Well, it is a US company. Anyway, when I logged in earlier today it was asking for my name and country. I entered NA/NA and withdraw my BTC without issues. I'm not saying I won't use it in the future but I'm not a big fan of sudden changes.

Oh well, another push towards decentralized exchanges I guess.

Not your keys, not your coins!
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 12:48:14 PM

you can just put a fake name i believe, nothing really changed, until they require specifically your id and residence proof, i'm ok with it

...they does require it actually but for level 3, 25k usd at month, they limit are a bit too low for my taste...
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1242

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 02:57:34 PM

Offshore exchanges are the future.

I think the Poloniex folks maybe a bit retarded as well.

Not sure why folks have traded CLAM there as long as they have.

This move kinda fucks with the JD folks a bit and they didn't even add shorting to CLAM.  Roll Eyes

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
uvwvj

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 02:58:52 PM

This move kinda fucks with the JD folks a bit and they didn't even add shorting to CLAM.  Roll Eyes

FUCK THE CLAM!
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 03:00:24 PM

This move kinda fucks with the JD folks a bit and they didn't even add shorting to CLAM.  Roll Eyes

FUCK THE CLAM!

Would you short it if you could? Tongue

I for sure didn't get Poloniex email regarding their ToS change.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 03:38:19 PM

just enter fake data in step 1 and get verified so after this your daily withdraw limit will raise to $2000, level 2 also don't need any kind of your data copy.

I wouldn't do that as they might randomly select your account for an audit at some point or if some threshold is hit like account containing > 50 BTC or trying to withdraw a large amount or w/e... and if you can't come up with an ID matching your fake name they will take your monies.
kryptologist

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

@kryptographer

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 05:04:19 PM

Awesome! Poloniex is the only good exchange. Legit US based, margin trading, long time secure standing, does't add scam coins. Probably if you buy most the coins on Poloniex in a few years you will be rich. Can't say the same for any other exchange.
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 05:24:57 PM

Awesome! Poloniex is the only good exchange. Legit US based, margin trading, long time secure standing, does't add scam coins. Probably if you buy most the coins on Poloniex in a few years you will be rich. Can't say the same for any other exchange.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: