Bitcoin Forum
December 08, 2016, 10:17:40 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: vmware cpu miner  (Read 13379 times)
sp00fz

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 10:45:06 AM

No one is forcing you to download.
No one is forcing you to use.

As sp00f said, probably you can't check the image because you don't have the proper hardware.

ROFL. I've got plenty of hardware. AND a paid VMware Workstation 7 license. But why should I waste my time on this?
Haha paid, and i got it for free. Well i've always downloaded things for free and that will not change.

thats right, we dont talk about workstation, how can you imagin' that?
maybe you plan to instal windows 7 (paid) then vm workst (paind) and then run this machine?
stupid

we talk about production env, about 9 esx hosts, hungred of vms etc.

btw, you can use free esxi implementation and run on one power esx machine :]
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
p1o

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 10:49:06 AM

not true, I'm tried on my production enviroment and with 6 vmachines it's ok
procesors usage in esxs is 100% but can't see any slow down of prod servers

but we dont talk about prod env of course, it will be stiupid to use it on prod env

sp00fz You're wasting your time on them. (Masters of bitcoin mining)
error

Activity: 574

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 10:54:45 AM

You should stick to making seat covers. Tongue

15UFyv6kfWgq83Pp3yhXPr8rknv9m6581W
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1458

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 10:55:25 AM

Is there any reason why one would want to run a CPU miner inside a VM? (Other than possilbly trying to sneak those VMs into a computing environment without full authorization and hoping nobody would notice or bother to check what's inside those VMs).
Chucksta

Activity: 168

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 11:02:41 AM

No one is forcing you to download.
No one is forcing you to use.

As sp00f said, probably you can't check the image because you don't have the proper hardware.

ROFL. I've got plenty of hardware. AND a paid VMware Workstation 7 license. But why should I waste my time on this?
Haha paid, and i got it for free. Well i've always downloaded things for free and that will not change.

nzb ftw !!!  which reminds me, I must sort out my evening's entertainment.. Dexter, Son's of Anarchy, and Bones Smiley
sp00fz

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 11:03:25 AM

You should stick to making seat covers. Tongue
whatr do u mean?
error

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 11:04:58 AM

Well I got curious and poked around in this VM a little bit.

I haven't found anything obviously malicious. (Yet.)

It contains a pretty normal Debian installation with some stuff manually stripped out, apparently to save disk space, and a binary copy of the Ufasoft CPU miner. They didn't leave the source code.

The virtual machine was built and/or tested on the intranet at TBAI Poland, which seems to be a manufacturer of vehicle seat covers, according to a DHCP lease file which was recovered from the virtual machine. Whoever built the VM tried (unsuccessfully) to wipe any trace of this fact from the VM.

Interestingly, it also contains a copy of Performance Co-Pilot. It seems they're quite serious about squeezing every last hash out of the CPUs, wherever those CPUs are.

SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 11:14:26 AM

It contains a pretty normal Debian installation with some stuff manually stripped out, apparently to save disk space, and a binary copy of the Ufasoft CPU miner. They didn't leave the source code.

The virtual machine was built and/or tested on the intranet at TBAI Poland, which seems to be a manufacturer of vehicle seat covers, according to a DHCP lease file which was recovered from the virtual machine. Whoever built the VM tried (unsuccessfully) to wipe any trace of this fact from the VM.

Interestingly, it also contains a copy of Performance Co-Pilot. It seems they're quite serious about squeezing every last hash out of the CPUs, wherever those CPUs are.

hahah SNAP.
sp00fz

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 11:15:37 AM

Is there any reason why one would want to run a CPU miner inside a VM? (Other than possilbly trying to sneak those VMs into a computing environment without full authorization and hoping nobody would notice or bother to check what's inside those VMs).
reason is you have working enviroment before
p1o

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 11:25:40 AM

aaajajajajajaja :]

Good job dear Watson!
error

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 11:26:40 AM

Good job dear Watson!

Now the real question is: Does your boss know about this? Grin

error

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 11:30:49 AM

Oh, also, I want one of those sweet, sweet huge 2560x1600 monitors!

sp00fz

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 11:31:23 AM

Good job dear Watson!

Now the real question is: Does your boss know about this? Grin
and this is real THANK U p1o for your fu...ing job
no comments

somebody ask you? I checked this too and so what?
Dayofswords

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 11:46:51 AM

142u3uafy7bvxJXArDF9mo9e6LEFSef5Hr
lambright

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 06:47:05 AM

Hello all, my name is Wayne.  I have a question for the group and want to share this idea.  I have some free power and some x445 Ibm server with 8cpus.  32gig of ram.  Thinking of running just this server at max to try the bit coin.  Any idea what or how much money this would make per day?  I have a 20 amp circuit as part of my data host with a 100m pipe and i'm not using it. so any feedback about running around 70 vm all doing bitcoin, I would love to build one out this week and share the results, looking form some insights before I get started.

Thanks

Wayne Lambright
lambright.com

AQNbU7iyWStvJAzzqDjzqW576hKhXQEK3s
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 07:06:40 AM

Hello all, my name is Wayne.  I have a question for the group and want to share this idea.  I have some free power and some x445 Ibm server with 8cpus.  32gig of ram.  Thinking of running just this server at max to try the bit coin.  Any idea what or how much money this would make per day?  I have a 20 amp circuit as part of my data host with a 100m pipe and i'm not using it. so any feedback about running around 70 vm all doing bitcoin, I would love to build one out this week and share the results, looking form some insights before I get started.

Thanks

Wayne Lambright
lambright.com

What CPU does it have
lambright

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:51:16 PM

Hi, Its using a xeon 3.0 cpu.     8 CPU's total.

thanks for the help.

Wayne

inlikeflynn

Activity: 35

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:17:06 PM

Thanks

Wayne Lambright
lambright.com

You won't need 70 VM's to max out the CPU on an x445. You'll need maybe 2 VM's to-do it as those are much older CPU's.

For fun I tested this last week on an IBM x3850m2 running ESX4.1 which had 4x6core CPU's (24 core's total)
-ubuntu VM with 4 vCPU's running ufasofts miner gets maybe 9-10MH/sec
-6 of said VM's completely maxes out all 24 CPU's for a whole 50-60MB/sec
-VM's are now turned off because this costs way more $$$ for power than it will ever mine in BTC
lambright

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 01:01:42 AM

Thanks

Wayne Lambright
lambright.com

You won't need 70 VM's to max out the CPU on an x445. You'll need maybe 2 VM's to-do it as those are much older CPU's.

For fun I tested this last week on an IBM x3850m2 running ESX4.1 which had 4x6core CPU's (24 core's total)
-ubuntu VM with 4 vCPU's running ufasofts miner gets maybe 9-10MH/sec
-6 of said VM's completely maxes out all 24 CPU's for a whole 50-60MB/sec
-VM's are now turned off because this costs way more $$$ for power than it will ever mine in BTC

OK, thanks for the help,I agree it does not seem worth it.  OK back to the drawing board.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.