Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:07:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: coins stuck in electrum client  (Read 6622 times)
ehmdjii (OP)

Activity: 351
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 03:06:26 PM

hello, i have a couple of coins in an electrum wallet but when i try to send them somewhere, i always get the error message "not enough funds" no matter how much i try to send or how high i set the fee.

no addresses are frozen or prioritized.

i have already tried regenerating the wallet from the seed but always get the same error.

any possibilities to save those 2 coins?

BTC: 1LsD5HpnX1Kfyti7CnHiVB1rjUEXGqmR2H
LTC: LQbpdMZmYyJa9bJG6NweBNxkSTfgZorkrG
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 08:43:24 PM

hello, i have a couple of coins in an electrum wallet but when i try to send them somewhere, i always get the error message "not enough funds" no matter how much i try to send or how high i set the fee.

no addresses are frozen or prioritized.

i have already tried regenerating the wallet from the seed but always get the same error.

any possibilities to save those 2 coins?

Not sure what the problem is, hopefully someone else will help out.

EDIT: I notice you are still on version 0.61, perhaps you could try to upgrade?
ehmdjii (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 09:25:32 PM

well the problem is that i have 2.1 BTC but cant send them.

i have already tried 0.64 and 1.0 but still the same problem.

vuce

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 07:28:26 AM

Same problem here. It will send anything up to the last few bitcoins. That's on 1.01.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 07:57:32 AM

can you try to create the transaction in text mode?
this will show us if it is a gui problem or not.

to keep it reproducible, do not actually send the coins, use the 'mktx' command instead: it will dump the raw transaction on the screen

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
ehmdjii (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 08:42:23 PM

can you try to create the transaction in text mode?
this will show us if it is a gui problem or not.

to keep it reproducible, do not actually send the coins, use the 'mktx' command instead: it will dump the raw transaction on the screen

this is the output:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/electrum", line 465, in <module>
    fee = options.tx_fee, change_addr = change_addr, from_addr = from_addr )
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/electrum/wallet.py", line 925, in                                   mktx
    raise BaseException("Not enough funds")
BaseException: Not enough funds
None

ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 11:07:51 PM

I have been talking with vuce and we have found the cause for that bug: the server sent corrupted data.
[the server sent an unspent tx output without 'raw_output_script' field, I believe this might have been caused by a reorg.]

You should be able to recover your coins by regenerating your wallet from seed on another server, different from the server that sent you incorrect data.
Please let me know if it works.

Another problem is with the current protocol, which is not robust enough. The protocol should use a hash of the complete history of each address in order to determine whether the history needs an update. It is not doing that now, which is why it is not sufficient to simply connect to another server. This was one of the things I wish I had time to fix before genjix took over. I hope this gets fixed (as well as the server issue).

ehmdjii (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 07:35:46 AM

You should be able to recover your coins by regenerating your wallet from seed on another server, different from the server that sent you incorrect data.

tried to regenerate the wallet on multiple servers, but i still always get the same error. could you name a server where this should work?

are you planning on fixing this bug?

ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 08:20:01 AM

tried to regenerate the wallet on multiple servers, but i still always get the same error. could you name a server where this should work?

I cannot be 100% sure that your problem is exactly the same as what vuce encountered.
I remember that you reported strange problems associated with your wallet on irc (inability to regenerate the same key sequence), which does not make sense with this bug.
Therefore the bug you have might be different.

are you planning on fixing this bug?

I am no longer an active developer.
I do still help answer questions and diagnose bugs, in order to ensure a smooth transition, but I try not to get involved in development.
Thus I hope this bug will be fixed by the current team.

flatfly
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 08:26:47 AM

ThomasV, is it possible to extract private keys for individual addresses generated by the deterministic wallet? If so, this user could get access to his coins without waiting for a fix...
ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 08:29:56 AM

ThomasV, is it possible to extract private keys for individual addresses generated by the deterministic wallet? If so, this user could get access to his coins without waiting for a fix...

yes, it is always possible to do that. type "electrum addresses -ak" to dump your addresses and private keys. (sorry I should have mentioned that)

ehmdjii (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 09:01:36 AM

I cannot be 100% sure that your problem is exactly the same as what vuce encountered.
I remember that you reported strange problems associated with your wallet on irc (inability to regenerate the same key sequence), which does not make sense with this bug.
Therefore the bug you have might be different.
yes i had this strange problem, but with 0.64 only.
with 0.61 i can successfully regenerate my wallet from seed.

I am no longer an active developer.
I do still help answer questions and diagnose bugs, in order to ensure a smooth transition, but I try not to get involved in development.
Thus I hope this bug will be fixed by the current team.

sure, but do the active developers know enough about this bug to fix it?

btw, i am willing to sell my seed for investigation and bugfixing purposes.

ehmdjii (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 09:02:17 AM

interesting, how exactly can this be done?

ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 11:05:37 AM

just read my answer two posts above. :-(

DutchBrat

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 11:19:54 AM

If you are running electrum on Windows, you should start electrum while holding the <SHIFT> key to get into command-line mode
ehmdjii (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 11:22:47 AM

sorry, what i meant with this question was: how can i use those private keys to get my coins back?

btw, if i start electrum -ak it just launches the gui client normally like without any parameters. where can i find those private keys?

ehmdjii (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 08:31:32 AM

so, i managed to reimport the addresses containing coins into a new electrum wallet.

however i still have the same problem with them. "not enough funds" when trying to send any amount of coins.

flatfly
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 08:37:44 AM

so, i managed to reimport the addresses containing coins into a new electrum wallet.

however i still have the same problem with them. "not enough funds" when trying to send any amount of coins.

Actually, the workaround I had in mind is to import those addresses into another client (such as bitcoin-qt, multibit, or blockchain.info), and spend the coins from there (even sending them back into a new electrum address should fix it, I guess)
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 11:29:03 AM

Haven't been able to develop Electrum during last 2 weeks. I'm the main organiser of the Bitcoin conference and it's taking up all of my waking hours.

Once it's over, I plan to get back onto finishing the next release of Electrum. I'll definitely be investigating this. Could you send me an email next Tuesday to genjix@riseup.net? (Don't send it now otherwise it will get lost - I'm getting dozens of emails)
ehmdjii (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 01:53:22 PM

Actually, the workaround I had in mind is to import those addresses into another client (such as bitcoin-qt, multibit, or blockchain.info), and spend the coins from there (even sending them back into a new electrum address should fix it, I guess)
alright! that did work! got my coins!

thanks!

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: