Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:26:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with signing messages Multibit  (Read 687 times)
gogxmagog (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 11:47:44 PM

hi, please excuse if I am making n00b mistakes, but I am trying to sign a message with my multibit client, following the instructions from the multibit site and have run into a few problems. Any help you can give please ELI5 because I barely understand what I'm doing...

first up i followed instructions from here https://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_signAndVerifyMessage.html

my first problem is;
"4. Enter the receiving address you are using to sign in the 'Address' field."... my problem... You can not copy or paste anything into the 'Address' field...this doesn't really make sense if you want people to actually use it, but I put my address in manually anyway...

so after taking about 5 minutes to manually enter my signing 'send' address, check it twice and typing my message in the 'Message' field I pressed 'sign message' and client told me I was a success. good enough...but... having to manually enter and double check does not make me feel very successful especially when I realize I dont know how to follow the seemingly simple instruction 'Send Message'

how do I send this message? code appears in the 'Signature' field, so i figure i will copy paste this code and paste it onto the forum post where i am trying to verify my identity... guess what? you cant copy or paste this.... its a few lines of code... I'm in a hurry... wtf guys?

so i think i signed a message but it is pretty much useless because i cant do anything with it. I don't have the time to manually copy ~100 random characters from my multibit client to the post im trying to put it on. Is this just some sort of inconvenient oversight in the multibit design, or am i doing it wrong? if its supposed to prohibit copy pasting you might want to think of changing that. no one wants to manually enter lines of random code bruh.

what am i doing wrong?

help and NON-TECH-CENTRIC explanation would be greatly appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2015, 03:01:45 PM

Are you using an older version? See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345.0#post_multibit0518.

-snip-
how do I send this message? code appears in the 'Signature' field, so i figure i will copy paste this code and paste it onto the forum post where i am trying to verify my identity... guess what? you cant copy or paste this.... its a few lines of code... I'm in a hurry... wtf guys?

Copy address, message and signature, send it to the person you want to or post here if you want to post here. There is a format for Bitcoin signed message. You can see that in above link.

gogxmagog (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 06:27:56 AM

the problem im having is not in the signing of the message. The problem is i cannot copy/paste anything into or out of multibit. it wont allow me to use the copy/paste function anywhere on the signing interface. it is not a problem in other functions of the same multibit wallet. I can copy in the send windows the receive windows, even the transactions windows...it wont let me copy/paste in the signing windows.

It seems weird to me, its where it is most needed. maybe its a bug?

im using version 0.5.18

nevermind, it works if i use ctrl-v...  Tongue
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: