Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:01:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossfire mining  (Read 6996 times)
gonzas144 (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 09:43:05 PM

Hi.

How I must set my GPUs?. One per worker? or both in one worker?.

In deepbit I had one worker for both video cards, but in BTCMine that method didn't work, I had to set a 2nd worker for my 2nd GPU. How about BTCGuild ?. I have to set 2 workers, one per GPU?.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kodess

Activity: 32

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 09:46:54 PM

workers are there for a reason, 1 GPU = 1 worker
it keeps it organized and optimized
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 10:01:14 PM

workers are there for a reason, 1 GPU = 1 worker
it keeps it organized and optimized
organized? yes. optimized? not really.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
grue
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 10:09:03 PM

how to you crossfire 3 cards ?
get 3 cards with 2 crossfire connectors each. :p

GreenSky

Activity: 23

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 10:10:01 PM

I recommend not crossfiring your cards, and instead using a VGA dummy plug for each.
grue
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 10:43:13 PM

I recommend not crossfiring your cards, and instead using a VGA dummy plug for each.
can you explain more
1. search for "VGA dummy"
2. you're done!

gonzas144 (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 10:48:47 PM

Hi. I've tried to disable the crossfire but when is it disabled one of the GPU's doesn't work. I know that in Linux is not mandatory to use the crossfire bridge. Im not getting bad performance with crossfire enabled though.

282 MH/s in both HD 6870.
ensign_lee

Activity: 886
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 10:55:38 PM

I have one of my rigs crossfired and I am noticing 0 difference in mining between doing that and running each monitor independently, as one datapoint.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
HudsonStan

Activity: 34

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 06:20:32 AM

I have one of my rigs crossfired and I am noticing 0 difference in mining between doing that and running each monitor independently, as one datapoint.
Me too. What is real difference VGAdummy vs. CF? 0! I have 2x5870 a 2x6950. No difference. Bonus of CF is ability to use rig as mighty CF gaming rig.
anodyne

Activity: 518
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 09:06:45 AM

I feel I need to bring up a question related to this:

Why are "disconnected" secondary cards disabled in Windows (and as I understand it only in versions after XP)? Power saving feature? Something related to HDCP?

Bitcoins: solid enough to build pyramids.
mattpker

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 09:16:01 AM

What is the downside to running crossfire and mining with one worker? Will this have less Mhash/s then doing two cards/no crossfire and one worker per card? Does anyone have any data for this or links?
icolsuineg

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2011, 12:40:25 PM

Erm.. one miner doesn't load both GPUs, you will use send one for the second GPU. CF is used only to avoid driver disabling the second GPU, which can be avoided by using VGA Dummy Plug instead of connecting the cards with CF bridge and using CF. On a side note, CFed cards do eat more CPU power, and that is more watts wasted on the CPU. Oh, also keep in mind that remote connections (RDP, Teamviewer, etc.) usually disable/don't allow CF, which makes dummy plugs somehow better permanent solution - and it is a cheap one as you have the DVI-VGA adapter with every card and the resistors you need cost like few cents.

Still, my all VGA Dummy machine still eats a lot of CPU power, so...

♦♦♦ CRYPTUMCOIN ♦♦♦
Miner and trade-centric Equihash-based cryptocurrency
mattpker

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 03:25:59 PM
Last edit: May 31, 2011, 05:23:05 PM by mattpker

I thought that crossfire makes 2 cards one, did not know that the OS could still see them separately. So what you are saying is that I can run crossfire but will still be able to run one worker per GPU? Power consumption is not a problem for me as I have included utilities.
mattpker

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 06:56:01 PM

This "sharing the workload" cause more/less/equal Mhash/s compared to using the VGA Dummy?
ensign_lee

Activity: 886
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 07:10:19 PM

This "sharing the workload" cause more/less/equal Mhash/s compared to using the VGA Dummy?

Should be EQUAL, according to my experience.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
mattpker

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 04:20:20 PM

Getting my two 6950's in a few days, will update this with my findings.
Lars

Activity: 27

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 07:26:33 PM

What clock speeds, client and settings do you use for this? I get slightly less on my 6870s.
warsmith

Activity: 27

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 10:22:10 PM

I just tried mining with crossfire, with a pair of 6950s. They don't do an identical job. In fact, it is quite noticeably lower. I don't know why, but when I run them separately, they both go to 99% usage, and produce around 400MH/s each. When crossfired, they hover around 89-92% of usage both, and produce up to 20% less MH/s in total.

Any idea how to make them go up to 99%?
gonzas144 (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 11:05:17 PM

What clock speeds, client and settings do you use for this? I get slightly less on my 6870s.

WORKSIZE=128 VECTORS AGGRESSION=9 FASTLOOP BFI_INT

6870 @ 970mhz, memory at 500 mhz.

mattpker

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 05:35:30 AM

So I got my 6950's. Crossfire worked fine with assigning 1 worker per card. You were right though and this caused high CPU load. I turned off the Crossfire and luckily I did not need a VGA Dummy as I run dual head (two monitors with one pluged into each GPU). This produced the same Mhash/s but less CPU usage and more stability.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: