Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:39:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone 5: Will People Cash Out on Bitcoins?  (Read 4577 times)
JMAHH (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:56:22 AM
Last edit: September 25, 2012, 07:47:49 AM by hazek

Just wondering.

We've heard a lot about the iPhone 5 coming up. Current iPhone sales are reportedly down because people are holding out for the new one (also take into account the largely aesthetic changes in the 4S, which many weren't really satisfied with).

Do you think some people might cash out of Bitcoins to buy the new iPhone? It's interesting economically because it's about human behavior, and it might have an effect on the exchange rate - however I'll be the first one to admit that if there is any change, it'll be exceedingly small.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 05:03:43 AM

Most users in the USA buy the phone subsidized for $199 16gb or $299 32gb.  We then sell our old one for nearly as much or even more.  With AT&T now unlocking phones for customers in good standing (under conditions) the price for the old phone is pretty high. 

Right now a 4 16gb (not a 4s) is going for about $320 unlocked on ebay.  After the new phone comes out that will drop, probably to $250 as more people are selling.  A 4s is going for even more.  So if I sold my 4 after the new one comes out I can cash IN to bitcoin with my profits not out.  On top of that I have a 50/50 odds of selling my old phone for bitcoin directly.   

JMAHH (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 05:08:27 AM

Most users in the USA buy the phone subsidized for $199 16gb or $299 32gb.  We then sell our old one for nearly as much or even more.  With AT&T now unlocking phones for customers in good standing (under conditions) the price for the old phone is pretty high. 

Right now a 4 16gb (not a 4s) is going for about $320 unlocked on ebay.  After the new phone comes out that will drop, probably to $250 as more people are selling.  A 4s is going for even more.  So if I sold my 4 after the new one comes out I can cash IN to bitcoin with my profits not out.  On top of that I have a 50/50 odds of selling my old phone for bitcoin directly.   

Good points. The 'cash 4 iPhone' business is less pronounced in Europe.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 05:38:55 AM

What's an iPhone? Ohh you mean that censor-ful device?

One example:
http://www.zdnet.com/apple-patent-could-remotely-disable-protesters-phone-cameras-7000003640/

Many others http://bit.ly/w4dQNi

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 06:16:39 AM

Do you think some people might cash out of Bitcoins to buy the new iPhone?

Due to Apple censoring the Blockchain app therefore I am seriously considering boycotting the iPhone and going with a more open solution.

Garr255
Legendary

What's a GPU?

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:42:05 AM

Due to Apple censoring the Blockchain app therefore I am seriously considering boycotting the iPhone and going with a more open solution.

I'm totally boycotting apple for other reasons.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
JMAHH (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 07:07:39 AM

One example:
http://www.zdnet.com/apple-patent-could-remotely-disable-protesters-phone-cameras-7000003640/

Not your topic, Linux fanboy.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 07:10:16 AM

I do the same (as Littleshop mentioned), though I'll probably have to skip this generation, as my contract renewal won't be for another year.  But I always sell my old iPhone, buy the latest one, and it about evens out.  Sometimes I have to add $25 or so.  I never buy a phone without the contract renewal discount, and it baffles me that people will pay $700-$800 for a phone instead of waiting until their contract is up and taking a 75% discount on that number.
Garr255
Legendary

What's a GPU?

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 07:18:24 AM

Not a Linux fanboy at all. Just a part-time realist.

Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 12:31:57 PM

Its back on the app store:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=105575.0

Smiley

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
BobbyJo

Activity: 358

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 09:27:23 PM

In the UK the phone is usually very cheap, with the right contract.  You are simply buying the phone but on credit, over a year or 2 year period.  However, I dont think this will have any impact whatsoever on the value or price of BTC.

jago25_98

Activity: 900

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 10:30:33 PM

I didn't want to get too offtopic but I guess it comes with the territory.

How linked is iPhone to the typical Bitcoin user anyway? How likely does a Bitcoin trader have an iPhone?

I've always thought perhaps Apple isn't well suited to the kind of user that uses Bitcoin anyway but am I making an assumption here?

iOS to me makes me think more of ease of use. Android is much better now but I still have that association of iOS as easy and reliable and Android as more potential but takes work to get to a good state.

For example, I use a Galaxy S1. I paid just £90 and probably available cheaper yet it runs JellyBean and that took work to do. I don't feel the need to get an iPhone.
The difference here is that I am able to cheat the system this way, that's the whole reason I have the phone.

I get the impression of more control on Android. Is that impression well informed though? On my Droid I have a permissions app and a iptables based firewall app. I also have all the hacker based resources to choose from but of course choosing a ROM is a part of it I which was more straightforward.

Because of all ^ this I tend to think that iOS keeps all the permissions stuff silent instead, especially after hearing about the location logging thing and previously pulling Bitcoin apps from the store. So I tend to think that iOS just paints over all the problems, but is this assumption well founded? One thing I like about iPhone is the consistency but one thing I like about some android devices is the custom ROM hacking that allows a LOT more milage for the money such that I tend to think an Android device is more future proof than an iPhone but is that an assumption too in that an iPhone is more uniform so more supported in the future (look at iPhone3 android ports as an example).

Bitcoin users in the Apple vs Google faceoff I think might be interested in the following questions which I've never seen addressed sufficiently in any comparison (good example: http://gizmodo.com/5921789/android-jelly-bean-vs-ios-6-vs-windows-phone-8-the-ultimate-ultimate-comparison ) review which are:

- which is more future proof (Android for hackability or iPhone for consistency?)
- which has the better security model now we have JellyBean?

There must be a poll here somewhere asking people about what phone they have? Perhaps I should start one if we can't find one

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Factory

Activity: 259

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 01:54:33 AM

I'm totally boycotting apple for other reasons.

Garr, could you elaborate on why you are boycotting Apple? I'm just curious.

Thanks.
dotcom

Activity: 354

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 06:41:36 AM

am I the only one still using the iphone 2g?

i haven't even updated it in like 4 years
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 03:45:21 PM

am I the only one still using the iphone 2g?

i haven't even updated it in like 4 years

YOU ARE NOT A GOOD CONSUMER! The ghost of Steve Jobs is mightily angry.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
justusranvier
Legendary

Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 03:48:15 PM

Do you think some people might cash out of Bitcoins to buy the new iPhone? It's interesting economically because it's about human behavior, and it might have an effect on the exchange rate - however I'll be the first one to admit that if there is any change, it'll be exceedingly small.
While the exchange rate is so dependent on speculation it is extremely vulnerable to effects like you mention.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1792

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 06:10:56 PM

who buys an iPhone here? anyone that is even slightly technical, would avoid the iPhone like a plague.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 06:15:26 PM

Meh.  Just get a google galaxy nexus.

Open support for apps (including MtGox trading app, blockchain.info, android spinner, and more).

I mean android has grown up a lot.  I just don't see why any bitcoin user will willingly choose a locked down product by a company who is outright hostile toward Bitcoin.  I mean Apple's market share and attacks on Bitcoin are a real threat to the expansion of Bitcoin in the mobile market.  Users who choose that platform simply make Apple more powerful and their attacks against Bitcoin more effective.

Huh

BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 06:25:17 PM

Nope .... i bought it and will by the 5. at launch date!... Still simply the best smartphone u can get for your money (with all the downsides, censorship and whatsoever people might believe apple is doing ..... ---> People thought MS is always calling home ..... an so forth. I think they need to see a devil everywhere ...)

If u re tecnikal and u dont like apple , just get a jailbreak and stop complaining about stuff that apple "might" do or has done Tongue

Blockchain runs fine with JB .... i don't see the point not using the iPhone? (there is a good point about not using online wallets at all ....")

just my two bitcents Smiley

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 01:31:16 AM

One example:

+1

One of the reasons I am taking a very close look at the Samsung Galaxy s3 is because Apple is suing to get this phone taken of the market.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 01:36:10 AM

ACTUALLY! The Iphone 5 more than likely will not be coming out. In case you guys hadn't heard, a while ago the Iphone 5 Specs got leaked, and a Chinese Knockoff company named GooPhone took the Iphone 5 design and Specs, built it, and then patented it.

Introducing the Goophone i5 http://android-sale.com/goophone-i5.html

Its actually quite cheap, ($275-$300) and runs Android

Specs? Nvidia Tegra 3 quad-core 1.4GHz processor, 1GB RAM, an 8-megapixel camera as well as a 4-inch display with a resolution of 1,280 x 720 pixels.

perhaps even funnier is, Goophone made an official statement to apple, saying if they release the Iphone 5, goophone will sue them

http://asia.cnet.com/goophone-i5-manufacturers-want-to-sue-apple-when-iphone-launches-62218590.htm
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 03:28:35 AM
Last edit: September 11, 2012, 04:42:31 AM by DeathAndTaxes

That conclusion is just silly.

The iPhone uses a custom processor.  So the company patents a phone based on prior work of Apple, which contains none of the components of the iPhone and you honestly thing this two bit nothing company will keep Apple from launching their product.  As much as I hate Apple for closed systems they have on the most impressive legal departments in the world.  Apple probably spends more on lawyers in a year than "GooPhone" takes in annual sales.
Narydu
Donator

Activity: 743
Merit: 510

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2012, 04:35:37 AM

Iphone is the best battery lasting phone I ever had (and I had over 10). But be carefull MTGOX users about the 5.1.1 ios given mtgox 3.14 is yet not compatible. BTW is anyone whats the iphone to be factory unlocked just PM me I did it over 3 locked Iphones and EXCELENT RESULTS!!!.

hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 07:05:51 PM

That conclusion is just silly.

The iPhone uses a custom processor.  So the company patents a phone based on prior work of Apple, which contains none of the components of the iPhone and you honestly thing this two bit nothing company will keep Apple from launching their product.  As much as I hate Apple for closed systems they have on the most impressive legal departments in the world.  Apple probably spends more on lawyers in a year than "GooPhone" takes in annual sales.

Yet another reason to not give these sheep herders a bitcent.  Thanks!
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 07:52:25 PM

who buys an iPhone here? anyone that is even slightly technical, would avoid the iPhone like a plague.

The grown ups, that run businesses, and furnish employees with tools that get that job done and integrate painlessly with their technology stack.

Your opinion is all well and nice but don't confuse it with fact.

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
hashman
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 08:06:33 PM

The grown ups, that run businesses, and furnish employees with tools that get that job done and integrate painlessly with their technology stack.

Sounds enterprisey! 
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 08:11:53 PM

I think I'm done with iPhone. The new competition is getting better every day, and  locked phones are worth very little to me.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 08:55:52 PM

Sounds enterprisey! 

Heh its distinctly not (yet?). I think I might have got carried away with the words there Wink

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
Raralith

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 09:10:31 PM

I do the same (as Littleshop mentioned), though I'll probably have to skip this generation, as my contract renewal won't be for another year.  But I always sell my old iPhone, buy the latest one, and it about evens out.  Sometimes I have to add $25 or so.  I never buy a phone without the contract renewal discount, and it baffles me that people will pay $700-$800 for a phone instead of waiting until their contract is up and taking a 75% discount on that number.

While off topic, I do want to point out that this isn't always the case. You are right, you get a $660 iPhone (tax included) for $230 (activation fee included) but you now have a 2 year contract. If you are on a single account, you almost likely paid well over the difference in two years by not buying the phone outright and going the prepaid route. Here is the breakdown:

Prepaid route - I use Straight Talk which is an at&t MVNO, unlimited talk and text, 2GB data (it says unlimited but you get heavily throttled at 2GB).
Buy phone $660
Monthly prepaid $45 * 24 months = $1,080
Total "prepaid" paid in 2 years = $1,740
If you use a lot less minutes, T-Mobile has a $30 monthly plan so you only pay $720 for phone service or $1,380 for 2 years.

Contract route - I'm using at&t and choosing the cheapest plan of 450 minutes ($59.99), no text, $30 3GB data plan
Buy subsidized phone $230
Monthly contract payment $90 * 24 months = $2,160
Total "contract" paid in 2 years  = $2,390
That's $650 more over the course of your contract, and that includes no text messaging which would add $480 to the contract. You also would have to pay a hefty ETF if you wanted to end your contract early. This is why I dropped the at&t contract game because I am saving more money now than having at&t "help me out" prior to this. As for what you are giving up for this "savings," you do lose at&t customer support so I deal with Straight Talk instead which I haven't had problems with albeit I only called at&t 2-3 times before int he 5-7 years I used them. I still use the at&t network too, and yes, at&t gets a cut of the profit from Straight Talk so they win out too.

The only time it really works out in your favor is if you are running a family plan with 4+ phones where you can add a line for $10, or are not running smartphones and don't need data. Bottom line, if the carrier wouldn't be making more money subsidizing phones, they sure as hell would not be subsidizing phones.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 11:31:42 PM

Raralith, what is an AT&T MVNO?  Call me intrigued.  I've only been fine with being locked in a contract because I've never had a reason to switch.  All the cheaper companies are cheaper for a reason (worse service).  If MVNO is some acronym for a company that uses AT&T's network, but is cheaper, then I'll definitely check in to it.

Right now, my contract is about $80/month (base $50 + $30 for 3GB data).  I don't pay for texting, since I can do it for free through my data plan.  Add my wife's phone (base $10 + $25 for 2GB data), and it's about $115/month, + all those garbage nickel-and-dime-ya fees.

@ D&T - As to WHY I chose the iPhone... well, I used to like to fiddle with electronics.  I'd modify everything I could on my phone, overclock my computers, etc.  Then I got older, and I stopped enjoying fiddling, and more just wanted a device that worked all the time.  I suppose it mostly has to do with me having very little time to fiddle anymore.  So, yes, while I agree that an Android device is very well suited to someone who loves to fiddle, I can't say that they are well suited to someone who doesn't.  I haven't tried one myself, mind you, but I've asked MANY android owners about it, and none of them recommended me anything but the iPhone if I wanted something that "just works" all the time.

Certainly, Apple's stance on Bitcoin apps has swayed me a bit, but I also have a vested interest in staying on the iPhone if for no other reason than compatibility with my family.  Both of my sisters and their husbands have iPhones, my mom does as well, and a few other relatives.  I can text all of them for free using the built-in app.  Videos, pictures, etc.  Also, the facetime app... If I got an android phone, while I could still probably use google voice to text, it wouldn't be as convenient, and wouldn't let me text pictures and video, nor use the facetime app with my family.

I'm still not certain what I will do come the next time my contract is up for renewal, but it's likely I'll go the iPhone route again.  It's something that I know, that I have no complaints with (aside from the Bitcoin app issue), and that I really don't have any reason applicable to my usage to switch to anything else.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 01:47:25 AM

I think the Galaxy Nexus (OS codenamed "Jelly Bean") will change your mind.  It is the first Android phone that I felt was comparable to iPhone in terms of polish and ease of use.  Honestly I would pay more for one than an iPhone.  I don't fiddle anything.  Popped a prepaid t-mobile sim card in it and downloaded some apps.  Actually since the app store is linked to my google account it downloaded all the apps from my old phone onto this one.

Still if the Nexus doesn't do it Android is catching up fast.  If you compare an Adroid 1.0 device to 4.1.1 device it is night and day.  Each version Android closes the gap more and more.  Honestly I don't think there is a gap anymore but some of it is subjective.   Dual core processor, high resolution screen (higher DPI than retina display without the name), large edge to edge screen, NFC that worked right out of the box (even with blockchain.info wallet app), easy to use UI, smooth/polished graphics, nearly universal app support, etc.  Getting harder and harder to say Android is a hacker device.  

Raralith

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 03:34:01 AM

Raralith, what is an AT&T MVNO?  Call me intrigued.  I've only been fine with being locked in a contract because I've never had a reason to switch.  All the cheaper companies are cheaper for a reason (worse service).  If MVNO is some acronym for a company that uses AT&T's network, but is cheaper, then I'll definitely check in to it.

Right now, my contract is about $80/month (base $50 + $30 for 3GB data).  I don't pay for texting, since I can do it for free through my data plan.  Add my wife's phone (base $10 + $25 for 2GB data), and it's about $115/month, + all those garbage nickel-and-dime-ya fees.

Here's the thread that got me started which has all the details. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1455014

TL;DR version:
MVNO stands for "Mobile Virtual Network Operator." Straight Talk is a MVNO for both AT&T and T-Mobile so they use their respective towers (based on your location) instead of setting up their own towers, buy spectrum, go through the FCC, etc... AT&T sells voice and data at bulk/wholesale rates to Straight Talk which than retails prepaid service to their customers. It's cheap because 1) Straight Talk buys at the bulk/wholesale rate so they get a much better price (think a family plan with 100,000 add on's vs. 100,000 individual plans), 2) they have much smaller customer support staff and hours, and 3) they don't subsidize phones. Pretty much every carrier has MVNO's, some are priced better than others, and there are "tiers" of service. AT&T is more than happy to do this because they are making money from MVNO's, they get a cut from their customers (essentially I am still paying "royalties" at AT&T per say), and they charge MVNO's "fees" that are in the 5-6 figure range.

My wife and I left AT&T with our $130 contract, 2 iPhones on the grandfathered unlimited data plan, and text for her to a pair of $45 unlimited Straight Talk plans. We save $40/month * 24 months = 960 which is a fraction better than the subsidized savings of $860. The added benefit though is that we can sell our unlocked phones anytime we want and buy a new one without a prorated $350 ETF, and an iPhone 4S is worth more 1 year than it is 2 years so I can easily sell my "old" phone and use it as a down payment for a new phone. Overall, it's pretty damn sweet and I am very happy.
Monkey1

Activity: 868

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 07:14:42 PM

Who cares.  Its shiny and I want one (if they are ever released).

▄▄█████▄▄
         ▄▄███████████▄▄
      ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
   ▄▄███████████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▀██▀       ▀▀████████
███████  ▄████  ███████▄  ███████
███████ █████  ██████████ ███████
███████ ██████████  █████ ███████
███████  ▀███████  ███▀   ███████
████████▄▄        ██   ▄▄████████
 ▀█████████████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████████████▀▀
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
         ▀▀███████████▀▀
            ▀▀█████▀▀

.THRIVING CRYPTOCURRENCY..
.MARKET WITH CRYPTOBONDS..

▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

INITIAL COIN OFFERING
SEPTEMBER 30

██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
██████
         ▄▄████████▄▄
     ▄████████████████▄
   ▄███▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀███████▄
  █████ ███████ █▄▀███████
 ██████ ███████ ███▄▀██████
▐██████ ███████▄▄▄▄▄▄ █████▌
▐██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████▌
▐██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████▌
 ██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████
  █████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ ████
   ▀███▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄██▀
     ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀

...READ THE....
.WHITEPAPER.

▄▄████████▄▄
     ▄████████████████▄
   ▄████████████████████▄
  ███████████████▀▀  █████
 ████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
 ████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
  ████████████████▄▄██████
   ▀████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
MEDIUM
REDDIT
GITHUB
SLACK
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 07:17:46 PM

Raralith, what is an AT&T MVNO?  Call me intrigued.  I've only been fine with being locked in a contract because I've never had a reason to switch.  All the cheaper companies are cheaper for a reason (worse service).  If MVNO is some acronym for a company that uses AT&T's network, but is cheaper, then I'll definitely check in to it.

Right now, my contract is about $80/month (base $50 + $30 for 3GB data).  I don't pay for texting, since I can do it for free through my data plan.  Add my wife's phone (base $10 + $25 for 2GB data), and it's about $115/month, + all those garbage nickel-and-dime-ya fees.

Here's the thread that got me started which has all the details. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1455014

TL;DR version:
MVNO stands for "Mobile Virtual Network Operator." Straight Talk is a MVNO for both AT&T and T-Mobile so they use their respective towers (based on your location) instead of setting up their own towers, buy spectrum, go through the FCC, etc... AT&T sells voice and data at bulk/wholesale rates to Straight Talk which than retails prepaid service to their customers. It's cheap because 1) Straight Talk buys at the bulk/wholesale rate so they get a much better price (think a family plan with 100,000 add on's vs. 100,000 individual plans), 2) they have much smaller customer support staff and hours, and 3) they don't subsidize phones. Pretty much every carrier has MVNO's, some are priced better than others, and there are "tiers" of service. AT&T is more than happy to do this because they are making money from MVNO's, they get a cut from their customers (essentially I am still paying "royalties" at AT&T per say), and they charge MVNO's "fees" that are in the 5-6 figure range.

My wife and I left AT&T with our $130 contract, 2 iPhones on the grandfathered unlimited data plan, and text for her to a pair of $45 unlimited Straight Talk plans. We save $40/month * 24 months = 960 which is a fraction better than the subsidized savings of $860. The added benefit though is that we can sell our unlocked phones anytime we want and buy a new one without a prorated $350 ETF, and an iPhone 4S is worth more 1 year than it is 2 years so I can easily sell my "old" phone and use it as a down payment for a new phone. Overall, it's pretty damn sweet and I am very happy.
That does indeed sound slick!  I'm going to definitely check in to that next time my contract is up before I renew.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:40:32 AM

i'll give a plug for the Samsung Galaxy S3.  its awesome.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:59:53 AM

Anyone else interpret today's iPhone 5 announcement as Apple admitting that their streak of innovation in the phone space is over?

Yayyy!!! 176 more vertical pixels!! A 5th row of icons!! Yeah, 1136x640 is still far less than my HTC EVO LTE's 1280x720.

Apple better have something up their sleeve wrt the TV space, else they'll just bleed market share for years until they're back to the Apple Inc of the '90s.

tl;dr: No, people aren't going to cash out of btc in any measurable amount due to the iPhone-5.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 05:24:03 AM

Anyone else interpret today's iPhone 5 announcement as Apple admitting that their streak of innovation in the phone space is over?

Yayyy!!! 176 more vertical pixels!! A 5th row of icons!! Yeah, 1136x640 is still far less than my HTC EVO LTE's 1280x720.

Apple better have something up their sleeve wrt the TV space, else they'll just bleed market share for years until they're back to the Apple Inc of the '90s.

tl;dr: No, people aren't going to cash out of btc in any measurable amount due to the iPhone-5.

I am more excited about the ipod touch 5. It provides much more bang for your buck.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
hashman
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 05:26:55 AM

SAN FRANCISCO—With CEO Tim Cook stating that desperate customers would surely “line up like idiots” to purchase the offensive product anyway, Apple announced today the release of the company’s new iPhone 5, which features the word “nigger” boldly embossed on its back. “Sure, the new iPhone has the word ‘nigger’ printed right on it, but we all know you pathetic losers will still buy it in droves, because, hell, you’ll buy anything we put out,” Cook said in a press conference, describing the lightweight smartphone that will include a larger high-resolution display and have the racial slur printed in 36-point Helvetica font directly on its back, as well as on every accessory sold for the product. “Our technology ensures the word will brightly light up through whatever cover or sticker you may use in an attempt to obscure it, so don’t even try. You are all very stupid and sheeplike, and I will enjoy watching this play out.” Cook followed the iPhone 5 announcement with a brief preview of the company’s updated iPad, which will feature a loud, unchangeable ringtone of Roseanne Barr repeatedly yelling “faggot.”

Read More
http://www.theonion.com/articles/apple-announces-new-iphone-with-nword-on-back-know,29531/
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 05:36:04 AM

SAN FRANCISCO—With CEO Tim Cook stating that desperate customers would surely “line up like idiots” to purchase the offensive product anyway, Apple announced today the release of the company’s new iPhone 5, which features the word “nigger” boldly embossed on its back. “Sure, the new iPhone has the word ‘nigger’ printed right on it, but we all know you pathetic losers will still buy it in droves, because, hell, you’ll buy anything we put out,” Cook said in a press conference, describing the lightweight smartphone that will include a larger high-resolution display and have the racial slur printed in 36-point Helvetica font directly on its back, as well as on every accessory sold for the product. “Our technology ensures the word will brightly light up through whatever cover or sticker you may use in an attempt to obscure it, so don’t even try. You are all very stupid and sheeplike, and I will enjoy watching this play out.” Cook followed the iPhone 5 announcement with a brief preview of the company’s updated iPad, which will feature a loud, unchangeable ringtone of Roseanne Barr repeatedly yelling “faggot.”

Read More
http://www.theonion.com/articles/apple-announces-new-iphone-with-nword-on-back-know,29531/

hehe. you gotta love onion news:

iPhone 5 Features

Apple CEO Tim Cook introduced the widely anticipated latest generation of the iPhone at a press event Wednesday. Here are some of the new device’s features:

Says things when you touch it, just like a real person
Adjustable hand-strap
Siri tunelessly hums when left alone for too long
Plaid
Makes a sighing noise whenever it passes older iPhones
Frictionless no-grip casing eases transition from hand to floor
Can hammer nails
Is pathetic piece of shit compared to the iPhone 6

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
DOH!

Activity: 784
Merit: 108

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 05:12:30 AM

Apple's going to sue anyone running blockchain app on Ios for copyright infringement... They invented bitcoin... Just like they invented ALL the features that they are suing over.  They are also in the process of suing me for using multiple ellipses in one post... They invented that, also.
</troll>

rjbtc

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 04:16:16 PM

I'd like for someone to please explain how an Android device doesn't "just work" right out of the box? That's the big argument? My Galaxy S2 worked within minutes of unpacking it, no problems at all (just like an iphone). It's like buying a car. With Apple, you have your car, it drives fine and looks just like everyone elses, and while it's pretty and shiny it looks like everyone else's iCar.  If Android made a car, you could drive it out of the box just like Apple's, but you could also customize it and it would look and operate differently than everyone else's car - but - you don't have to. If you like your stock interface, be it stock Android, TouchWiz, HTC Sense, motoBlur (whatever Verizon's is..) it doesn't matter just leave it and have fun. If you want to root your phone and install a custom ROM you have that option.

Hearing some people talk you need an advanced java programming book just to get a Android device to turn on properly  Roll Eyes

BTC: 1AYWtqieXoQZnuT4iEk6MDEXBkdVd5BykN
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: