Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:44:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S5 + 3D printed mods  (Read 18240 times)
LoneRangir

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 04:56:21 AM

Is there a place to purchase the 3D printed duct/spacers I see in some of these pictures?  I've searched ebay, with no luck.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 05:05:26 AM

Is there a place to purchase the 3D printed duct/spacers I see in some of these pictures?  I've searched ebay, with no luck.

I would go to services and look for someone to print them.   I have seen a few sites that do it but all were pretty high it could have changed since I looked it was a while back.

But with hiring someone in services I think will be lowest price.   Unless you have a local maker club, a lot of big cities have maker groups that you could actually go to the person or club and one would print even cheaper.
Vorta (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 06:08:45 PM

That's a great mod right there!
Those corsair fans should be as quiet as a whisper, and with a re-oriented S7 they could possibly do a wonderful job. I wonder though, what temps do you get with the S5? Also, what is the amperage rating on those corsairs?

Thank you. They really are very quiet. Probably the best choice for this. Especially due to their high static pressure. Temps go about 65-70°C at 400MHz. At 350MHz they're down at about 50-55°C, not requiring the fans to go 100%. If I manually set them to be 100% at all times, than temps are even lower.
Amperage of Corsairs is 0.36A/fan.

It seems that all the links are currently dead, does anybody have pictures backed up or anything? I am looking to swap out the fans on my S7 and was going to use this as a semi guide. I have gotten it very quiet so far using only 33% fan.

I may have photos archived somewhere. If I find them, I'll replace them.

I don't think anybody's printing them for sale. Usually they just order a 3D printing service for themselves.

After testing that everything works, I've put the miner up for sale on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151918302055
Roccdrummer

Activity: 21

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 06:11:29 PM

Hello Vorta!

I was wondering... how much degrees Celcius did you lose for each step when:

1. Repasted the miner with a much better thermal paste?  (and what paste did you use?)

2. Added mini heatsinks on the external side of the hashboards with adhesive termal paste?

3.  Closed the miner's heatsink with 3D printed plates so no air can run out on the top or bottom sides?

4.  Added fan ducts between fans and miners which direct most of the air through the main heatsink and blow just a little bit of air to external heatsinks, just to drive some airflow on the sides?

And finally, is there any way else that I can see your pictures that you posted?  For every picture doesn't show the picture and says :
bitcoin talk image proxy: invalid image

Thanks very much!  I was going to do the first two steps but am trying to find data showing if it is worth it or not.  Was gonna replace the front fan with a Enermax Twister Storm 120mm  UCTS12A :  (3 links to fan)   Or maybe two of them stacked with a pull fan on the otherside or maybe two stacked there as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214060   

http://www.enermax.co.uk/fans/twisterstorm/   

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/enermax-case-fan-ucts12a
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 10:52:11 PM

A friend of mine printed up the mods for me and I installed most of them on my S5 last night.  I did not have the flat top M3x5mm screws so I couldn't do the intake or exhaust ducts just yet.

Bottom plates going on.

Top plates on.

Controller board reinstalled and ready to hash!

It runs about 1*C cooler with just the top and bottom plates (fan set at 60%) and 1dB quieter.  When I install the intake and exhaust ducts I will also be adding a pull fan and then play around with oc'ing.

It doesn't seem like the op is active anymore, I would like to verify he still has access to the btc address in the first post so I could send him a tip.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 10:55:34 PM

A friend of mine printed up the mods for me and I installed most of them on my S5 last night.  I did not have the flat top M3x5mm screws so I couldn't do the intake or exhaust ducts just yet.

Bottom plates going on.
http://i64.tinypic.com/1zz25bp.jpg

Top plates on.

http://i63.tinypic.com/14a8xzp.jpg

It runs about 1*C cooler with just the top and bottom plates (fan set at 60%) and 1dB quieter.  When I install the intake and exhaust ducts I will also be adding a pull fan and then play around with oc'ing.

I was thinking/hoping the plates would have a bigger effect on the miner than a measly 1C/1dB. I look forward getting the final numbers when you install the ducts, however.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 11:02:16 PM

A friend of mine printed up the mods for me and I installed most of them on my S5 last night.  I did not have the flat top M3x5mm screws so I couldn't do the intake or exhaust ducts just yet.

Bottom plates going on.

Top plates on.

It runs about 1*C cooler with just the top and bottom plates (fan set at 60%) and 1dB quieter.  When I install the intake and exhaust ducts I will also be adding a pull fan and then play around with oc'ing.

It doesn't seem like the op is active anymore, I would like to verify he still has access to the btc address in the first post so I could send him a tip.

one of my s5s have these plates and one doesnt..

the temps are about the same, but the one that has the plates you dont hear the fan wine.. just the air rushing through..

as far as the screws, you really only need 2 per plate on the bottom Wink i put mine like this /\

i also have the air ducts, but i took them off.. not because of noise, but because the airducts dont have enough holes in them to let the air through the outside and the wire plugs get hot..
mavericklm

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 01:19:48 AM

I like very much the latest batch with the mini heatsinks! i find them sexy as hell!
and cooler for sure!
Mikestang
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 08:34:03 PM

I was thinking/hoping the plates would have a bigger effect on the miner than a measly 1C/1dB. I look forward getting the final numbers when you install the ducts, however.
Well the real benefit isn't just installing them with the stock fan, it's that I should be able to run a quieter fan/less rpm and still achieve adequate cooling vs. the cranked up loud stock fan.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 12:49:05 AM

Well the real benefit isn't just installing them with the stock fan, it's that I should be able to run a quieter fan/less rpm and still achieve adequate cooling vs. the cranked up loud stock fan.

I dont really understand why a high CFM/pressure fan would see no boost, but a low-mid CFM fan would? I guess less pressure would be lost, which may matter more for fans that dont have much pressure to spare?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 12:51:59 AM

I dont really understand why a high CFM/pressure fan would see no boost, but a low-mid CFM fan would? I guess less pressure would be lost, which may matter more for fans that dont have much pressure to spare?

I think what happens is only so much air can pass through so it builds up a pressure bubble and any excess gets thrown out the side
Mikestang
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 07:01:16 PM

I added the front fan duct.  I like that it directs most of the air through the heat sinks and just a little to the outsides of the boards, but I found that the api reports a higher temp (temp sensor on outside) even though I'm sure the chip side of the boards is cooler than before since more air is moving past them now.  Barely any air was escaping out the tops of the sides, but I could feel it was warmer on the outsides due to the reduced air flow there.  

(I also added some clear acrylic side panels.)

I installed a pull fan but did not include the rear duct because that duct does not let the pull fan pull any of the warm air from the outsides of the boards.  With the pull fan (Delta AFB 1212VHE) the unit reports much cooler temps (3-5*C) than without it and the air on the outsides of the boards is much cooler.  Basically no air escapes out the top of the sides now, it is all pulled out the back.  The pull fan also equalized the temps across both boards, one always read hotter by a couple degrees before.

We have a cold front moving through so I spun it around 180 to intake cool air through the dryer duct and blow the warm air into my house.
numnutz2009

Activity: 387
Merit: 254

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 03:04:09 PM

Has anyone tried using these legs on an s7 yet?
irun4fundotca

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

Mining away one KWh at a time

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2016, 07:07:27 PM

I added a few small heat sinks to the one side of the asic's with a 14 degrees drop i'm not complaining
have to order enough to do the rest of the miners now
working on printing mods next

$1.99 for 10pcs - 10mm Adhesive Aluminum Heatsink For RAM Memory IC Chips Cooling 10x10x10mm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321705680592
numnutz2009

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 12:14:47 PM

hey

im just bumpin this thread to say if anyone needs these legs i can make them for them. they dont just work with the s5's either....they work with s5/s5+/s7/and s9 miners. i personally use them on my s7's and they help keep my miners running cool. i also have a duct attachment that will screw onto one fan to make attaching a duct easier. i use ducts for some of my s7's because there is a drop ceiling where i run my miners so it helps cool the room my miners run in.

pm me if interested. i have 4x leg kits that have the screws and ones that dont have the screws. if your using the legs you will need longer screws for the s5+ and above because the stock ones aren't quite long enough. I can also print other stuff if you guys need anything printed. I have a lulzbot taz 6 printer so it has a pretty large printbed.
gt_addict

Activity: 2478
Merit: 621

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 01:03:10 PM

Have you got pictures of the leg kits? The pics on the first page have gone

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
Mikestang
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 05:50:10 PM

You can download the 3D printer files and open them with various free online sources, and see what they look like that way.
numnutz2009

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 06:26:17 PM

here is a link to one of the listings. There r 2 total.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201612306974

dsh

Activity: 46

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 07:12:25 PM

I added a few small heat sinks to the one side of the asic's with a 14 degrees drop i'm not complaining
have to order enough to do the rest of the miners now
working on printing mods next

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/3/9/6/1/0/4/a9142101-11-P7030225.JPG

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/3/9/6/1/0/4/a9142089-156-Screenshot%202016-07-03%2014.56.15.png

$1.99 for 10pcs - 10mm Adhesive Aluminum Heatsink For RAM Memory IC Chips Cooling 10x10x10mm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321705680592

Wow great details. Good images. Ebay link still exists.

A few quick questions.

1) Per an article on heat dissipation and metals it notes that copper is about 2x the conductivity of aluminum. See: https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/which-metals-conduct-heat-best/. Do you know of any copper heatsinks that are similar in size, that is, 10x10x10mm.

2) Do you know of any heatsinks that are taller, that is, 10x10x100mm? And do you think this would this cool even better than 10x10x10mm?

3) Do you recommend 10x10x1mm thermal pads as well? For example, this product (100Pc 10x10x1mm Silicon Chip Thermal Pad Heatsink Conductive Insulation Paste HU) http://www.ebay.com/itm/100Pc-10x10x1mm-Silicon-Chip-Thermal-Pad-Heatsink-Conductive-Insulation-Paste-HU-/221949052694?hash=item33ad31c716:g:qwsAAOSwwE5WUzNb
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: