Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2017, 10:47:56 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.14.2  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Three months living in a multi-petahash BTC mine in Kangding, Sichuan, China  (Read 158220 times)
alienesb
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 11:56:42 AM

Is that sea sand? Why would it needed to mine ?

No, the sand is no beach sand and Inner Mongolia is a landlocked province. What you see is an example of desertification caused by over-farming and dry weather. The place is very dry and windy. The buildings where the machines are housed are not completely enclosed.

The top of the walls are open where they meet the roof correct? Good for ventilation, bad for keeping out dirt I guess.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Eric Mu

Activity: 681

eric.mu@sinohash.com

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2015, 11:57:22 AM

Great photos!  I am an engineer and on the job site we must wear steel toe boots, eye protection, and hard hats.  Tell the men there's nothing cowardly about protecting yourself.  Think of the armor ancient Chinese warriors wore to battle.

Love the photo with the gps track, quite a mountain road!

What is the one that looks to be some sort of border crossing, what do all the signs say?

Yep, we were crossing the provincial border between Shaanxi and Sichuan. The signs are Chinese characters for Sichuan.

Eric Mu

eric.mu@sinohash.com

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2015, 11:59:05 AM

As you are near mountains and it is cold, do you have any problem with heat?
No, we haven't had any problem with heat so far.

Eric Mu

eric.mu@sinohash.com

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2015, 12:08:17 PM

That looks incredible.  I am particularly happy to hear that you are true believers and trying to hold your mining earnings.
Sorry if this has been asked before, but do you know if you are the biggest farm in China, or are you part of a mining network there?

Do you solo mine, and what is your up-time like?  Are there any disadvantages to being located in China for bitcoin mining?

We are one of the largest. Huobi, JUA and Bitmain are pretty large too, I am not sure which one is the largest.
We mine with multiple pools.
The disadvantage of mining in China? Can't think of any right now, maybe the business culture here is quite different from in the West?

SmartIphone

Activity: 770

★ ★ Relax and Smile ★ ★

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2015, 01:42:33 PM

Is that sea sand? Why would it needed to mine ?

No, the sand is no beach sand and Inner Mongolia is a landlocked province. What you see is an example of desertification caused by over-farming and dry weather. The place is very windy too. The buildings where the machines are housed are not completely enclosed.

I was thinking what is the use of sand, but it's ok, good luck.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 1078

17kKQppUsngUiByDsce4JXoZEjjpvX9bpR

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2015, 03:15:26 PM

All of that sand could not possibly be good for the miners at all.

▄                   ▄██
       ▐██▄                ▄████▄
       █████▄            ▄███████
      ████████▄        ▄██████████
     ▐██████████▄    ▄█████████████
     █████████████▄ ▀██████████████▄
    ████████████████▄ ▀█████████████
   ▐█████████████████▄  ▀████████████
   ████████████████████▄  ▀██████████▌
  ███████████████████████▄  ▀█████████▄
 ▄█████████████████████████▄  ▀████████
 ████████████████████████████▄  ▀██████▌
▐██████████████████████████████▄  ▀██▀▀
▀████████████████████████████████
    ▀▀▀███████████████████████▀
          ▀▀███████████████▀
                ▀▀█████▀▀
▄█▄

▀█▀
▄█▄

▀█▀
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 04:54:39 PM

All of that sand could not possibly be good for the miners at all.

Given the short economic (not functional) lifespan of some mining hardware, it might not matter a lot. I expect that fans wear out quickly as a result, and miners themselves might increase in temp. Vacuum the miner, replace the fans, and it's as good as it was when manufactured, though no more efficient.

Cheap used miners + Cheap Electricity == Profit (unclear on how long)

I think Eric has stated that this is their business model (more or less).
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 1554

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 06:19:25 PM

are all those employer paid with bitcoin? and how much, their payments is a part of roi on new equipments i presume

or they work for free because they belongs to those who own the miners?

Sarcasm intended?
No, nobody on these photos are paid in BTC, except the photographer, which is yours truly. Most of them are villagers / temporary laborers we were lucky to find in Dalad Banner, Inner Mongolia. We hired them for RMB 150+ RMB 10 lunch subsidy per day.
They don't belong to nobody but themselves. They trade their labor for money just like everyone else who are gainfully employed.

actually i was serious about them payed in btc, and i cannot see the joke to be honest, btc will be one day one form of payment for every kind of work, i can't see how you may find it, like a joke sincerely...

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 1078

17kKQppUsngUiByDsce4JXoZEjjpvX9bpR

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2015, 06:36:02 PM

are all those employer paid with bitcoin? and how much, their payments is a part of roi on new equipments i presume

Sarcasm intended?
No, nobody on these photos are paid in BTC, except the photographer, which is yours truly. Most of them are villagers / temporary laborers we were lucky to find in Dalad Banner, Inner Mongolia. We hired them for RMB 150+ RMB 10 lunch subsidy per day.
They don't belong to nobody but themselves. They trade their labor for money just like everyone else who are gainfully employed.

actually i was serious about them payed in btc, and i cannot see the joke to be honest, btc will be one day one form of payment for every kind of work, i can't see how you may find it, like a joke sincerely...
I think the part he thought was a joke was this

▄                   ▄██
       ▐██▄                ▄████▄
       █████▄            ▄███████
      ████████▄        ▄██████████
     ▐██████████▄    ▄█████████████
     █████████████▄ ▀██████████████▄
    ████████████████▄ ▀█████████████
   ▐█████████████████▄  ▀████████████
   ████████████████████▄  ▀██████████▌
  ███████████████████████▄  ▀█████████▄
 ▄█████████████████████████▄  ▀████████
 ████████████████████████████▄  ▀██████▌
▐██████████████████████████████▄  ▀██▀▀
▀████████████████████████████████
    ▀▀▀███████████████████████▀
          ▀▀███████████████▀
                ▀▀█████▀▀
▄█▄

▀█▀
▄█▄

▀█▀
BitcoinNewsMagazine

Activity: 826

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2015, 07:04:02 PM

Eric, thanks for taking the time to post about the HaoBTC mining operation and especially the gorgeous photos. I know you are one busy man and surely appreciate your updates.

alh
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 07:10:14 PM

Sarcasm intended?

For 99% of the population in the world, paying them in Bitcoin would be only slightly more useful than paying them in "Farmville Dollars" or some other fictitious currency. With no disrespect for their workers, I'd be stunned if any of them had a wallet to send it to even.

Eric: In your travels their, have you noticed any shops that would accept Bitcoin as a form of payment?
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 10:38:47 PM

It was still pretty large when I was there - from June 15 to June 16, but a lot of shelves were empty and that didn't include the those emptied by us - we just moved 6,000+ Avalon 3 back to Kangding. So I personally think the operator of the farm hadn't been 100% honest with their users for I never saw that they openly stated that it had rented hash power to a few large miners. HaoBTC only accepts deposits, we don't do hosting. Have to say that this is a space where transparency and honesty are still in short supply. Sigh.

Thank you for having the time to reply. I see those guys from that farm will have some issues in the long run...

Best of luck for you all Smiley

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
Eric Mu

eric.mu@sinohash.com

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2015, 10:44:38 PM

Sarcasm intended?

For 99% of the population in the world, paying them in Bitcoin would be only slightly more useful than paying them in "Farmville Dollars" or some other fictitious currency. With no disrespect for their workers, I'd be stunned if any of them had a wallet to send it to even.

Eric: In your travels their, have you noticed any shops that would accept Bitcoin as a form of payment?

The only China-based BTC-accepting retail businesses are online so far. Even in large cities like Beijing where i lived, there are no more than a couple coffee shops.

HerbPean
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 01:17:45 AM

WoW, just found this thread.

E-P-I-C

Thanks for sharing !
ws8098

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 08:38:32 AM

Hi  Eric

How much is the exact cost for the electricity fee?

Inner Mongolia  mining farm  ( per  1 kwh) ?

and

Kangding  mining  farm   (per 1 kwh)  ?
Eric Mu

eric.mu@sinohash.com

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2015, 10:54:57 AM

Hi  Eric

and

RMB 0.4 / kWh
RMB 0.2 / kWh

Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1050

/dev/null

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 11:24:02 AM

Hi  Eric

Inner Mongolia  mining farm  ( per  1 kwh) ?

and

Kangding  mining  farm   (per 1 kwh)  ?

RMB 0.4 / kWh
RMB 0.2 / kWh

for those, who are lazy

0.064$ / kWh in Inner Mongolia and 0.032$ / kWh in Kangding..omg, China.. Tongue Tongue Tongue

edit: time to time is just cool to be lazy and not counting..
Eric Mu

eric.mu@sinohash.com

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2015, 11:31:03 AM

Hi  Eric

and

RMB 0.4 / kWh
RMB 0.2 / kWh

for those, who are lazy

0.064$ / kWh in Inner Mongolia and 0.032$ / kWh in Kangding..omg, China.. Tongue Tongue Tongue

One caveat of relying on hydropower is that in winter, the supply is likely to be limited. This is something that I only recently learned. Sorry if this bit of information came a bit too late.

Eric Mu

eric.mu@sinohash.com

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2015, 12:17:25 PM

June 20

Around eight last evening, all of a sudden, the dynamos nextdoor became much louder than usual.
"Oh no, Internet outage again!"
Someone shouted.
The second time in a month.
"Can be a rock. Can be the villagers just because they feel that they own the place." A colleague said in despair.
We had a dedicated light fiber cable provided by China Unicom. Though every time it broke the Unicom workers responded fast and the miners were back online within hours, we decided that we better get a backup connection.
China Mobile agreed to give us a cable but we waited for a month and nobody showed up.
Mr. Zhu, the head of the hydropower station decided to pay a visit to the China Mobile office in Kangding so I got a chance to visit the famed city.
The city of Kangding is perhaps most reputed for a love song https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangding_Qingge that bears its name. It is also a popular destination for backpackers and bicycle travelers.
After two hours' trip, we arrived.
It is a beautiful city built amongst the mountains, no words can do its beauty justice so I will let the photos do the speaking!
Apologies for my amateurish photography.

One hour of bumpy road like this, as always

Then a city emerges like a miracle

The Tibetan ornamental motif is unmistakable

Mr. Zhu is the man on the right.

A PLA base - I never seen barbed wire used this way in other cities.

Locals dressed in their traditional costume

A Tibetan Buddhist monk wearing a crimson "skirt"

Eric Mu

eric.mu@sinohash.com

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2015, 05:04:49 AM

Statement:
1. Due to popular demand, I decided to produce a series of short vid to show activities inside our BTC mine. Here is the first one filmed this morning.
Link: https://youtu.be/jtp4gNeGTSw

2. Due to increasing amount of user inquiries, I decided to build a support group for international users - If you haven't heard of WeCaht, it is the go-to messaging app in China. I am not on this forum 24 hours a day, so if you have something urgent, please download WeChat app, scan the QR code and post your questions there. I will reply ASAP.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.