Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:07:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help From GPU to ASIC! *PLEASE HELP*  (Read 1199 times)
BitcoinParrott (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 05:08:47 PM

Now I'm not going to lie to you, I am a complete noob when it comes to this but please don't be put off this post as I have run into an issue and I'm sure it can't just be me that's stuck.
I have been mining on my GPU with BFGminer for months, it has always worked fine and accepts on a fairly regular basis.
Anyway, I invested into a BF (BitFury) X2 USB miner which should clock up to 4Gh/s.
All newcomers to ASIC mining heed this warning of a noob, they are anything put Pn'P!
So I have spent the majority of the day trying to get it up and running and have in the end failed miserably.
After trying to find as much as possible on the interwebs, I got as far as changing the USB drivers with Zadig from FTDIBus to WinUSB.
After this step, everyone's miner on the internet, from other forums, image guides and YouTube videos seemed to automatically pick up the miner and then they would be mining away.
No, not me though.
After this step my BFGminer refused to open for an hour...until I noticed why...the default setting had changed the width and height of the display to 1x1, henceforth not wanting to open.
I have tried a variety of different combinations of code in the .BAT file but nothing seems to work.
The computer I'm running it on (Win 7 64bit), knows the miner is there as it is listed in the devices and printers section of the control panel.
So, can anyone possibly help with this pickle I am currently stuck in?
Am I missing something blatantly obvious out?
If anyone can shed any light as to why it simply isn't working I would be most grateful, whether it be advice, lines of code to try...or even...if an absolutely cheeky legend who is very good at this whole thing could remote desktop and set it up correctly for me?! ...Well that is asking a lot I know.
Anyway, I shall stop boring you!
*PLEASE HELP*
(Apologies if this post is in the wrong place, it is my first post on here, and if I really am doing something completely nooby...I apologise!).
Kind Regards to all of you who have read this!
BitcoinParrott, out.
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinParrott (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 05:33:11 PM

*UPDATE*
...Tried a different USB port, turns out the 2.0's and 3.0 ports are all mixed up on the PC.
It now works but it isn't achieving the 4-5Gh/s that it should, it is around the mid 3.5Gh/s mark...anyway on improving this?!
Regards.
BitcoinParrott.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 05:38:11 PM

*UPDATE*
...Tried a different USB port, turns out the 2.0's and 3.0 ports are all mixed up on the PC.
It now works but it isn't achieving the 4-5Gh/s that it should, it is around the mid 3.5Gh/s mark...anyway on improving this?!
Regards.
BitcoinParrott.

Do you happen to have a good powered USB hub you can try to plug them in?   If so it would be worth  a shot as some USB hubs put out more power, and sometimes this means more speed.
BitcoinParrott (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 03:46:18 PM

*UPDATE*
Regards.
BitcoinParrott.

Do you happen to have a good powered USB hub you can try to plug them in?   If so it would be worth  a shot as some USB hubs put out more power, and sometimes this means more speed.

Yeah it seems to be working fine now averaging around the 3.9-4.2Gh/s mark. Thanks for the advice.
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 08:29:49 PM

You should also consider something to circulate  the air. These things can get pretty hot. Nothing like a GPU is required for cooling, but a "gentle breeze" around an ASIC stick miner is pretty beneficial in my experience.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 10:11:07 PM

*UPDATE*
Regards.
BitcoinParrott.

Yeah it seems to be working fine now averaging around the 3.9-4.2Gh/s mark. Thanks for the advice.

Glad to hear it works now!  Just let us know if any more issues.   

alh's idea of a small fan is not a bad thing.  Even one of those small usb fan's to provide a small breeze can sometimes do the job.
BitcoinParrott (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 09:22:46 AM

I've ordered an Arctic Breeze one, don't worry, I'm not hoping for Arctic temperatures ha!
Got it dirt cheap on eBay and should be arriving today, Hoorah.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 11:51:35 AM

I've ordered an Arctic Breeze one, don't worry, I'm not hoping for Arctic temperatures ha!
Got it dirt cheap on eBay and should be arriving today, Hoorah.

Sounds good please let us know how it goes!  Maybe even some pictures of final set up you a lot of us like looking at setups Smiley

And that should do the trick with a little bit of air going across them.  Some stick miners are a lot happier with a breeze.
BitcoinParrott (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 12:32:21 PM

...Just when everything is going fine...I'm a complete newbie, well I'm not, I'm just useless at it...writing the .BAT files to start.
I could be sat at the screen for hours, going from the read me's to the notepad trying to come up with something.
So...with the new USB fan (Which works woo!), came four Block Erupters, at least I think that's what they are...only the small 336Mh/s ones...yes they were dirt cheap!
So I have tried running the BitFuryX2 with the 4 new Block Erupter sticks and well...it runs the 4 sticks but now doesn't pick up the BFX.
Is it possible to run them at the same time?
I have the fan on the back of the computer cooling down the BFX as that is in a port there.
The 4 new sticks are in a hub.
If anyone can point me in the right direction here or even come up with a script that might just work I will bloody love you!
The script in Notepad at the moment looks like this:

bfgminer.exe -o stratum+tcp://stratum.bitcoin.cz:3333 -u **** -p **** s- bfx:all, --scan-serial erupter:all

Without one, the other type works, for example if you remove the "bfx:all" command the other sticks will work...and they also pick up the GPU as well.
Very confused.
Thank you anyone and everyone out there!
(This is what they look like...and yes I know the USB switches aren't turned on before anyone says that![And don't worry, I am going turn the black ones heat sink the other way around, so annoying!])

https://i.imgur.com/cvLNukn.jpg
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 12:54:38 PM

Thanks for posting very nice little setup.  I still love usb stickminers, very cool devices.

And you have some good colors Smiley funny thing was on ebay back when they were new color actually made a difference in price.  I can't remember the older of what was rarest to regular.  But crazy looking back people picking a miner based on colors.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: