Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:27:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for advice for a hosting installation  (Read 1297 times)
phantitox (OP)

Activity: 385
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 04:26:15 PM

Hello im currently building a hosting installation for different miners, mostly of them are S4 , i have an estimate of 30 S4 , the location has 3-phase power and x4 50.000 btu air units, so i need some advide about power distribution and connection , i was looking to use PDUs but its a little hard to find those in this country, i was thinking use duplex outlet 1 for each miner is a more robust installation but it will do the job, the question is at the circuit breakers im figuring x7 circuit of 30 amps each at 220v but the main question remains on the street meter this is a office installation the 3 phases the use awg4 for each phase , I would like to know how much charge will hold with those cable and the meter i dont want to blow up something in the mall electrical installation  Cheesy
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 05:43:01 PM

snip i was looking to use PDUs but its a little hard to find those in this country, i was thinking use duplex outlet 1 for each miner is a more robust installation but it will do the job snip

I highly suggest looking online at PDU's.  For most they are not something you can go get in local store.  You will have to order them in.

But cabling is so high I cannot imagine you mention 30 s4's. Not to mention if you have a real electrician doing wiring the man hours.  Doing 30 installs of wires instead of using PDU's seems insane on cost and amount of time.
phantitox (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 10:36:50 PM

well the man hour thing is very cheap, i have an electrician installing the breaking circuit i can make all the outlet installation, i check the pdu online on amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Monitored-Distribution-Rack-Mountable-Ethernet-Connector/dp/B00VXWFD4M/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1432592951&sr=8-15&keywords=pdu+220v for example, it says that it can hang a load of 32Amps and 7.7 Kva now im not pretty sure how this work its 32 Amp the whole pdu or it got two circuits of 32 amps, im i was thinking using this one for this installation i already install a couple of little farms and use outlets but this is something major and i need to make sure what to buy.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 11:49:46 PM

well the man hour thing is very cheap, i have an electrician installing the breaking circuit i can make all the outlet installation, i check the pdu online on amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Monitored-Distribution-Rack-Mountable-Ethernet-Connector/dp/B00VXWFD4M/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1432592951&sr=8-15&keywords=pdu+220v for example, it says that it can hang a load of 32Amps and 7.7 Kva now im not pretty sure how this work its 32 Amp the whole pdu or it got two circuits of 32 amps, im i was thinking using this one for this installation i already install a couple of little farms and use outlets but this is something major and i need to make sure what to buy.

There is a big difference in installing outlet's and 30 outlet's.   I will be very surprised if he want's to do 30 outlets.  Not to mention 30 wires in a standard circuit breaker is going to be a lot.  You would need a lot more beakers.   And a lot more slots.

It is not a bad idea to have a few to test out area and see how it goes.   But once going twords 30 S4's thats 1.4 ish KW roughly I believe depends on freq settings as well. So 30 x 1.4 = around 42 KW.    7.7 KW per each pdu / 1.4 KW each S4  is around 4-5 per one.  If works perfect that would be 5 per.  But that is right on edge of what it says.    30/5 = 6  in perfect world.

If you are somehow not being charged per hour.  And there somehow is not a limit of how many outlets.  You could go with 30 outlets.  Just is a lot of wire assuming there.  (Depends on distance from breaker).   Also this assumes its a S4 and not S4 + .   S4+ takes 220/240.   S4 could do on 110/120. 
phantitox (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 04:25:56 PM

There is a big difference in installing outlet's and 30 outlet's.   I will be very surprised if he want's to do 30 outlets.  Not to mention 30 wires in a standard circuit breaker is going to be a lot.  You would need a lot more beakers.   And a lot more slots.

It is not a bad idea to have a few to test out area and see how it goes.   But once going twords 30 S4's thats 1.4 ish KW roughly I believe depends on freq settings as well. So 30 x 1.4 = around 42 KW.    7.7 KW per each pdu / 1.4 KW each S4  is around 4-5 per one.  If works perfect that would be 5 per.  But that is right on edge of what it says.    30/5 = 6  in perfect world.

If you are somehow not being charged per hour.  And there somehow is not a limit of how many outlets.  You could go with 30 outlets.  Just is a lot of wire assuming there.  (Depends on distance from breaker).   Also this assumes its a S4 and not S4 + .   S4+ takes 220/240.   S4 could do on 110/120. 

well the 30 outlet is not a problem, the installation is possible and cheaper the 7 PDUs but your right the amount of breakers and cable will be a lot, still be cheaper, but harder to install, but what about installing breakers of more amps, lets say 7 breakers of 30 amps that will be 210 amps of capacity, split 4 outlets per breaker assuming the use of 220v that will be like 28 +/- amps per circuit , i think is right on the edge, maybe less outlet per circuit? what do you think?
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 05:30:56 PM

well the 30 outlet is not a problem, the installation is possible and cheaper the 7 PDUs but your right the amount of breakers and cable will be a lot, still be cheaper, but harder to install, but what about installing breakers of more amps, lets say 7 breakers of 30 amps that will be 210 amps of capacity, split 4 outlets per breaker assuming the use of 220v that will be like 28 +/- amps per circuit , i think is right on the edge, maybe less outlet per circuit? what do you think?

Assuming your using a 30 amp breaker that is closer then I would like.   If all machines started up at once and drew a lot of power 2 amps does not sound like much of a cushion or error.

Are you able to get your electrician to look at and help with all of this?   If you have one who is doing this and man hours did not seem to maker bringing him in on the planning is not a bad idea.
MCHouston

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

Where am I?

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 07:42:34 PM

Are you sure that is #4 AWG from your meter?  That does not sound right.  That is only about 90 amps capable wire.

With 3 phase using line to line assuming a Wye feed your voltage would be 208.  So I would guess about 33KW of power. (That maybe off did it in my head)

Can I know more about your service feed?  Is it Wye, Delta, or even high-leg?  Is the voltage 120/208?  could also be 277/480 or 120/208/240.

The info seems off to me cause at that wire gauge you have less available power then your standard 200A residential service.

Or did you mean 0/4 gauge?

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
phantitox (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 05:03:22 PM

I change the location cause the original was a commercial office and they use awg #8 for the electrical installation and the main breaker was 3x50 amps only, it was to expensive spend a new cable through the pipes so i find a new location an old concrete block factory with a relative small office (about 120 square meters) but i have x3 25kVA distribution transformers at my disposal. One thing i notice is that the main breaker for this location is 3x100amps the cable from the transformer is awg 2 thats ok but on the other side of the breaker they use awg 8 for several connections in differents point of the factory. My question is, can i just use several #8 cable for a couple of breaker box? i mean instead of change the cable for a main #4 and use one breaker box, use those #8 cable to feed several breaker box, im asking this because there is a shortage of #4 and #2 cable and price are on the roof, and #8 cable is very common and very cheap. What do you guys think?
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 11:28:39 PM

I change the location cause the original was a commercial office and they use awg #8 for the electrical installation and the main breaker was 3x50 amps only, it was to expensive spend a new cable through the pipes so i find a new location an old concrete block factory with a relative small office (about 120 square meters) but i have x3 25kVA distribution transformers at my disposal. One thing i notice is that the main breaker for this location is 3x100amps the cable from the transformer is awg 2 thats ok but on the other side of the breaker they use awg 8 for several connections in differents point of the factory. My question is, can i just use several #8 cable for a couple of breaker box? i mean instead of change the cable for a main #4 and use one breaker box, use those #8 cable to feed several breaker box, im asking this because there is a shortage of #4 and #2 cable and price are on the roof, and #8 cable is very common and very cheap. What do you guys think?

I think I would judge it based on what it needs not price.    If you put in too small of guage were talking about really bad things if lots of power.

To get these breaker boxes setup you might call electrician.  Setting p from breaker box is easy if some knowledge.  But having a electrician come in with proper knowledge to set up breaker box is not a bad idea.
MCHouston

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

Where am I?

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 12:08:21 AM

All depends how many watts you want to run off each breaker box.

How are the three transmformers wired in? 

Obviously thinner wire is cheaper.  Usually you run thick wire to a distribution point then run smaller wires to sub panels from there.

As the electrical question you are asking are pretty basic and seems like your install is above what I would call an easy one, I recommend you call and electrician and also be prepared to pay for permits and inspections from your local government.

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 01:15:44 AM

Obviously thinner wire is cheaper.  Usually you run thick wire to a distribution point then run smaller wires to sub panels from there.

As the electrical question you are asking are pretty basic and seems like your install is above what I would call an easy one, I recommend you call and electrician and also be prepared to pay for permits and inspections from your local government.

You bring up a good point on permit and inspection's.   My miner's are on a family farm that really has no requirement's.   With it being a lot of farmers using power for many things they don't regulate it much.  I can only think of 1 regulation they have put into place in past 10 or so years.

But if you use cheap wires and it get's hot (as it sounds like your talking about lots of gear) it can burn down the entire place.  Just don't save a penny to be unsafe.  And electrician for setting up box is HIGHLY recommended and as MCHouston mentioned possibly required depending on your location.
phantitox (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 04:00:58 AM

I have my friend who is an electrician he has a lot of experience but has never work with miners equipment, anyway i talk with him and he suggest use a larger gauge for the cable and one breaker box (expend more play safe) the thing with the permits are not a problem, the whole country has literally free electricity and this kind of locations that have many years never get visit by inspectors, anyways i have now a bigger issue with the purchase of the miners the seller is out of stock and i only have the chance to order 8 miners... need to find the rest. Anyway thanks guys ill post some photos of the location and installation later, and any other suggestion you guys have ill be more the welcome to listen. Regards
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 04:06:02 AM

I have my friend who is an electrician he has a lot of experience but has never work with miners equipment, anyway i talk with him and he suggest use a larger gauge for the cable and one breaker box (expend more play safe) the thing with the permits are not a problem, the whole country has literally free electricity and this kind of locations that have many years never get visit by inspectors, anyways i have now a bigger issue with the purchase of the miners the seller is out of stock and i only have the chance to order 8 miners... need to find the rest. Anyway thanks guys ill post some photos of the location and installation later, and any other suggestion you guys have ill be more the welcome to listen. Regards

Deferentially get your friend to help then.   A true electrician is a great asset.  I like that he is being save and using bigger gauge wire, shows hes not a bad electrician.  Not all electricians are the same. I once dealt with one that to put in a 220/210 circuit breaker and one wire from it wanted 1000 dollars.  Needless to say I never called him again nor did I accept him for the job.

Suggestions depends on how many miners.   Also what miners are you trying to buy?   I'm guessing Bitmain if so look into ordering it direct so you get 90 day warranty not a secondary seller.
phantitox (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 01:17:21 AM

I already found the miners, i was looking for antminer s4  found a company en california, they sold me 15 for 670$ + shipping, i think i found a good deal there, anyways we decide to install AWG #2 cause the distance from the transformers to the miners location is around 70 mts, we already test and the values are very good around 218V , we just need the miners and we are good to go.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: