Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 01:43:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Silk Road Operator Ross Ulbricht to Be Sentenced Today  (Read 4852 times)
Crenel84

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2015, 08:05:25 AM

Imagine this : an illiterate druglord from Harlem/Brooklyn pleads guilty and gets 20-30 years in prison and an educated guy who tries to fight the system (even though he was guilty in my opinion) gets life in prison without the possibility of parole...

who is more useful to society ?

the illiterate/retarded/ drug dealer from Harlem who in 20 years would be just as retarded as before with slim chances of rehabilitation, or an educated guy who in 20 years from now might have something to give back to society : such as advices to young men following in his footsteps...he could lead some really interesting seminaries and help a lot of people along the way to learn from his mistakes but as it turns out he will never have a second chance

The prison system in the US is just wrong...locking people up is not the solution, re-educating them should be a main priority....life in prison for Ross is unfair to say the least...the 20 years prison sentence would've been more appropriate but the US judiciary system has no interest in rehabilitation...

Wow, this is exactly what's usually wrong with the American justice system. Rich white kids usually get off whilst poor black people get thrown in jail for relatively minor crimes. Should white guys be given get out of jail free cards now?

Really? You use race in your response to a statement that does not refer to race... and then you say racial issues are "exactly what's wrong" with the system? Well, if you believe racial issues are the problem, then feel free to -- as the Michael Jackson song says -- start with the man in the mirror and "take a look at yourself, and then make a change." Or maybe when you reply to someone you should just set aside your own issues and see what they're trying to say (you know, like "locking people up is not the solution, re-educating them should be a main priority" which apparently escaped your notice).

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

Come original.

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 09:02:38 AM

Imagine this : an illiterate druglord from Harlem/Brooklyn pleads guilty and gets 20-30 years in prison and an educated guy who tries to fight the system (even though he was guilty in my opinion) gets life in prison without the possibility of parole...

who is more useful to society ?

the illiterate/retarded/ drug dealer from Harlem who in 20 years would be just as retarded as before with slim chances of rehabilitation, or an educated guy who in 20 years from now might have something to give back to society : such as advices to young men following in his footsteps...he could lead some really interesting seminaries and help a lot of people along the way to learn from his mistakes but as it turns out he will never have a second chance

The prison system in the US is just wrong...locking people up is not the solution, re-educating them should be a main priority....life in prison for Ross is unfair to say the least...the 20 years prison sentence would've been more appropriate but the US judiciary system has no interest in rehabilitation...

Wow, this is exactly what's usually wrong with the American justice system. Rich white kids usually get off whilst poor black people get thrown in jail for relatively minor crimes. Should white guys be given get out of jail free cards now?

Really? You use race in your response to a statement that does not refer to race... and then you say racial issues are "exactly what's wrong" with the system? Well, if you believe racial issues are the problem, then feel free to -- as the Michael Jackson song says -- start with the man in the mirror and "take a look at yourself, and then make a change." Or maybe when you reply to someone you should just set aside your own issues and see what they're trying to say (you know, like "locking people up is not the solution, re-educating them should be a main priority" which apparently escaped your notice).

Well replace race with classism or other types of discrimination. He apparently thinks if you have a college degree you should be given a get out of jail free card but are 'literate/retarded' and live in Harlem/Brooklyn then you're worthless. Maybe Jay Z is worthless too. If we go by amazon4u's logic then Jay Z should have just been locked up because he was never going to contribute anything to society.
blablahblah

Activity: 775
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 09:41:32 AM

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/29/silk-road-ross-ulbricht-sentenced

The 31-year-old physics graduate and former boy scout was handed five sentences: one for 20 years[/b], one for 15 years, one for five and two for life. All are to be served concurrently with no chance of parole. The judge handed out the most severe sentence available to the man US authorities identified as "Dread Pirate Roberts", pseudonymous founder of an Amazon-like online market for illegal goods. >>

How is any of that a "life sentence"?

He'll be out in 15 years, max. Crazy Fanboi hysteria... Get a vibrator or something... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_hysteria
Crenel84

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2015, 09:43:09 AM

He apparently thinks if you have a college degree you should be given a get out of jail free card but are 'literate/retarded' and live in Harlem/Brooklyn then you're worthless. Maybe Jay Z is worthless too. If we go by amazon4u's logic then Jay Z should have just been locked up because he was never going to contribute anything to society.

Still unwilling to read what amazon4u wrote. Maybe bold red text would help you see it?

Quote from: amazon4u
...locking people up is not the solution, re-educating them should be a main priority...

Personally I find it annoying when people claim that I'm saying the exact opposite of what I've said, but I won't speak for amazon4u.
Crenel84

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2015, 09:45:00 AM

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/29/silk-road-ross-ulbricht-sentenced

The 31-year-old physics graduate and former boy scout was handed five sentences: one for 20 years[/b], one for 15 years, one for five and two for life. All are to be served concurrently with no chance of parole. The judge handed out the most severe sentence available to the man US authorities identified as "Dread Pirate Roberts", pseudonymous founder of an Amazon-like online market for illegal goods. >>

He'll be out in 15 years, max. Crazy Fanboi hysteria... Get a vibrator or something...

So the phrases "two for life" and "no chance of parole" somehow escaped your comprehension?
blablahblah

Activity: 775
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 09:53:37 AM

He'll be out in 15 years, max. Crazy Fanboi hysteria... Get a vibrator or something...

So the phrases "two for life" and "no chance of parole" somehow escaped your comprehension?

It said concurrently, so he doesn't need parole to be let out after 20 years because he has already finished serving all of the other sentences.

Ahh yup... someone listed the sentence lengths in random/retarded order so I missed it. Life is usually considered 25 years in other countries... You guys have geriatrics in American jails?... Y'all still need some f*cking vibrators to help you relax.
tidus1097

Activity: 434
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 09:57:34 AM
Last edit: June 01, 2015, 10:26:08 AM by tidus1097

Personally I feel that he will win in the appealate court system. If his defense can prove that the judge ruled unfavorably in the ruling(because the defense was not allowed to use their defense) then the ruling will be reviewed for appeal. From what I have learned of the trial, he has many markers for having a good chance at a appeal. The big question is, if someone can prove that the FBI hacked the server to reveal the info of DPR, then they must throw out all evidence including exculputary, and if necessary proceed with another trial or dismiss without prejudice. Which means they can pick the case back up in the future. Wish I had a mother and father like he does. Especially mom. She's in the trenches for him. Go get em Lyn.
Finchy

Activity: 315
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 01:24:40 PM

Personally I feel that he will win in the appealate court system. If his defense can prove that the judge ruled unfavorably in the ruling(because the defense was not allowed to use their defense) then the ruling will be reviewed for appeal. From what I have learned of the trial, he has many markers for having a good chance at a appeal. The big question is, if someone can prove that the FBI hacked the server to reveal the info of DPR, then they must throw out all evidence including exculputary, and if necessary proceed with another trial or dismiss without prejudice. Which means they can pick the case back up in the future. Wish I had a mother and father like he does. Especially mom. She's in the trenches for him. Go get em Lyn.

That's even if it gets to an appeal court. They might not get that far but even if it did I don't think he'll get his ruling overturned or even a reduction in his sentence. I think giving him a reduced sentence and concrete release date would be fair and appropriate but we all know the us courts are not fair and appropriate. Have you watched the Deep Web documentary that aired last night? There was definitely unfair restrictions placed on what questions could be asked or refusal to answer on how evidence was obtained that were blocked that really should have been addressed.
tidus1097

Activity: 434
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 01:38:52 PM

That's even if it gets to an appeal court. They might not get that far but even if it did I don't think he'll get his ruling overturned or even a reduction in his sentence. I think giving him a reduced sentence and concrete release date would be fair and appropriate but we all know the us courts are not fair and appropriate. Have you watched the Deep Web documentary that aired last night? There was definitely unfair restrictions placed on what questions could be asked or refusal to answer on how evidence was obtained that were blocked that really should have been addressed.

If his defense can prove that the judge ruled unfavorably in the ruling(because the defense was not allowed to use their defense) then the ruling will be reviewed for appeal.

That was my point entirely. IF his defense can prove bias into the trial, that in itself is grounds for a appeal. There are many other grounds for appeals as well, not just that one. Thats just 1 on the list of many that I see he can file for in appeals court.
jmurjeff

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 03:23:28 PM

I really hate this case. It is such bs that the FBI can do illegal means that violate the forth amendment and you get screwed. I think this case should have been dismissed on the grounds that evidence was obtained illegally. The judge should be disbarred but that won't happen. Too much corruption in the justice system.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 03:29:36 PM

OK. Got it. According to your logic, Ross Ullbricht should be punished, since he happened to have white skin and blue eyes. There are very few whites imprisoned right now (it doesn't matter that they make up 50% of the prison population). So we need to jail more Whites, in order to maintain the "racial equilibrium".  Grin
amazon4u

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Selling Stuff 20% OFF ! See my signature

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 01:30:56 AM

where was the "race" mentioned in my response...you obviously have some race issues that affect your judgement...my question is this, again :

who is more useful to society ? an illiterate guy or an educated guy ? who deserves a second chance ? you will find that the illiterate guy who pleads guilty to all charges gets the second chance..this is not how the judiciary system should work, rehabilitation should be possible  for the ones that are capable of seizing that chance not for the ones who relapse on 99.9%

P.S - Where does Jay Z fit in all this ? This is not about race ...it is about what an individual can give back to humanity....

jlauzon

Activity: 108

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 02:14:29 AM

There's this nod-nod, wink-wink concept of rehabilitation by way of prison. American prisons offer very little in the way of "fixing" "criminals"; they are purely punitive and harsh. They simply want to feign justice - the USA has the highest  per capita incarceration rate in the world. Almost every person who comes out is worse than when they went in.

The police can do whatever they want, the judges can do whatever they want. Americans are very far from free. We only get freedom when they let us.

Having said that, most people know the consequences will be harsh, so try not to do shit that will get you locked up.
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 06:33:50 AM

in this day and age sneaking something into prison is pretty easy. even with a 3rd generation ipod touch you can jailbreak it and install various hacking tools (command prompt, file browsers and the hacker network known as tor) It is possible Ross might actually be able to hack his way out of prison and escape to freedom. A master hacker like Ross could do it in no time. Prisons are practically automated with all the locks controlled by computers, gards arent even really needed. A team of two to three hackers on the outside armed with camera drones to give ross eyes in the skys could easy project this onto a smuggled google glass that ross could use kind of a HUD from a video game to escape. Im sure ross could do it, if he wants to escape that is. Prison is actually pretty cool, free food, exercise and hanging out with your friends. Im sure he get sa lot of street cred for his hacking skills in the prison, whee most inmates couldnt even successfully install custom firmware on a psp...

hi

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

Come original.

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 12:18:40 PM

OK. Got it. According to your logic, Ross Ullbricht should be punished, since he happened to have white skin and blue eyes. There are very few whites imprisoned right now (it doesn't matter that they make up 50% of the prison population). So we need to jail more Whites, in order to maintain the "racial equilibrium".  Grin

No, amazon4u is making an argument that people like Ross should are more likely to be rehabilated or be more useful to society which is bullshit. If he was such a smart and educated guy he wouldn't have got caught or made a load of silly mistakes, not to mention trying to have people assassinated. Most drug dealers don't even go that far but he did.

P.S - Where does Jay Z fit in all this ? This is not about race ...it is about what an individual can give back to humanity....

Because he was a drug dealer from Brooklyn, you know, the ones you think aren't ever going to make anything of their life.
jmurjeff

Activity: 106

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 02:36:29 PM

in this day and age sneaking something into prison is pretty easy. even with a 3rd generation ipod touch you can jailbreak it and install various hacking tools (command prompt, file browsers and the hacker network known as tor) It is possible Ross might actually be able to hack his way out of prison and escape to freedom. A master hacker like Ross could do it in no time. Prisons are practically automated with all the locks controlled by computers, gards arent even really needed. A team of two to three hackers on the outside armed with camera drones to give ross eyes in the skys could easy project this onto a smuggled google glass that ross could use kind of a HUD from a video game to escape. Im sure ross could do it, if he wants to escape that is. Prison is actually pretty cool, free food, exercise and hanging out with your friends. Im sure he get sa lot of street cred for his hacking skills in the prison, whee most inmates couldnt even successfully install custom firmware on a psp...

You watch too many movies. There are still armed guards watching the towers and patrolling at night. They are ordered to shoot them if they try to escape. Many prisons inmates get no access to computers. I doubt people who had millions of dollars thinks prison is cool. From what I have been told by people who went to prison is that it is incredibly boring. What if you don't make friends but enemies in prison? Life can be very long and harsh.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 03:25:11 PM

No, amazon4u is making an argument that people like Ross should are more likely to be rehabilated or be more useful to society which is bullshit.

Oh.. yeah... a highly educated guy like Ross Ullbricht should remain imprisoned for the rest of his life for merely putting up a website, while people like OJ Simpson should be released in to the wild, as he is more useful to the society when compared to Ross. Which news channels do you watch? I think that you got brainwashed by watching too much CNBC and MSNBC.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 1373

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 08:40:30 PM

I don't know Ross personally. But if any one of you is his friend, and you want to get him out, here's what to do.

Visit Ross in prison and obtain a signed contract from him that he is your property.

It might cost a little bit of money to get a bond on a guy like Ross, but get him bonded to the tune of as much as it would take to allow him out into the public if ever he were freed.

Then find out the man/woman/people who are holding him, and who have the control of causing his release.

Start a letter-writing campaign between these people and yourself wherein you wish, require and demand your property (Ross) returned to you. You might even say that you wish for him to do your programming for you as a legitimate excuse, or that you and he need his freedom to write his memoirs, or you figure out a ligit reason.

Once you have a sufficient number of letter denials from these people who are holding him, then sue the people personally in court to get your property back, using the letters as evidence showing that you tried on the private side.

In your letters (somewhere along the line, like the second or third letter), start requiring/demanding money, because by not giving you your property back, they are causing you monetary injury and loss, which is wrongdoing on their part, by preventing you from having your property's services.

In court, stay man-to-man with the people you are suing. Be present, not representing yourself, nor being represented by an attorney. Study Karl Lentz to see the best ways of doing this. Google and Youtube search "Karl Lentz common law."

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/, https://thedrardisshow.com/, https://thehighwire.com/.
masterzino

Activity: 1218
Merit: 513

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 10:38:03 PM

I don't know Ross personally. But if any one of you is his friend, and you want to get him out, here's what to do.

Visit Ross in prison and obtain a signed contract from him that he is your property.

It might cost a little bit of money to get a bond on a guy like Ross, but get him bonded to the tune of as much as it would take to allow him out into the public if ever he were freed.

Then find out the man/woman/people who are holding him, and who have the control of causing his release.

Start a letter-writing campaign between these people and yourself wherein you wish, require and demand your property (Ross) returned to you. You might even say that you wish for him to do your programming for you as a legitimate excuse, or that you and he need his freedom to write his memoirs, or you figure out a ligit reason.

Once you have a sufficient number of letter denials from these people who are holding him, then sue the people personally in court to get your property back, using the letters as evidence showing that you tried on the private side.

In your letters (somewhere along the line, like the second or third letter), start requiring/demanding money, because by not giving you your property back, they are causing you monetary injury and loss, which is wrongdoing on their part, by preventing you from having your property's services.

In court, stay man-to-man with the people you are suing. Be present, not representing yourself, nor being represented by an attorney. Study Karl Lentz to see the best ways of doing this. Google and Youtube search "Karl Lentz common law."

Smiley

I estimate a 0% chance of this working...

not too surprised at the ruling considering the trial was a blow-out for the prosecutors. Small chance an appeal could get his sentence reduced though. 

Crenel84

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 10:42:41 PM

A master hacker like Ross could do it in no time.

This isn't Kevin Mitnick we're talking about -- and Mitnick spent years in prison. I'm not deeply familiar with Ross's background, but nothing I've read so far indicated he was a "master hacker" -- a hacker, maybe, but mostly somebody who used existing tools to do what others had not done (at least not as successfully) and was, at least initially, very careful about security (which does not imply being a hacker at all).
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: