Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:05:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: building a mining rig with $1800  (Read 6037 times)
dmurph (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 04:36:50 AM

EDIT: My only comment on your build specifically would be whether or not you really want to get a Full Tower Case.

Will 4 or 5 video cards fit in the altec 900 or 300?

Ive got the MSI 890fxa-gd70 as my miner board... Im using 4 slots of the 5, they're double slot cards, so you're going to have to be creative... Also I dont know if its just my board, but in a 3 card configuration, I cant get the middle card to work.Im using the Sapphire 5850s as well, just fyi.

Its configured:
Card
fan
space
Card
fan
space
Card
fan

I couldnt figure it out, but every time I tried that I saw 3 devices in device manager that were 5850s, but only 2 in catalyst/display settings. It wouldnt allow me to extend the display to enable the middle card. I did have dummy plugs, and with 4 cards in the system It works well, but this is without using the black pci-e slot. Like I said it might only be my board, but check to make sure it's able to be utilized before you dive in. 4 cards run really hot when they're all in their respective slots, so be prepared for that. My cards run 300 mhash/s each, and they run between 80 (coolest card) up to 90C (hottest card).

What case config did you use?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 04:44:27 AM

Just a note, you can't fit 4 double slot video cards into an antec 1200, let alone 5. Nor would you be able to fit 5 cards on the motherboard anyway, you'd need an extender for the 5th pci-E slot. That motherboard is kind of pricey for what you plan on doing, I'm not totally sure I understand whether you are building a second computer for gaming or plan on using this motherboard/cpu, but an AMD sempron will bottleneck the crap out of 6970s, so you won't be able to game on it anyway.

The only cases capable of doing 4 cards are ones with 8+ expansion slots. The only case I know capable of doing 5 cards for under $300 is the Rosewill THOR.

EDIT: Also worth noting that you will be hard pressed to find any 5850s these days. Amazon has been out of stock for about a month and there's no real reason to believe they will get any more anytime soon. Your best bet is to buy used cards or else you will have to go skinny with 5830s, another reason why it might be better to go with 2 cheaper motherboards that can utilize PCI-E x1 slots with extenders.

EDIT #2: The antec quattro is an incredible waste of money. You will likely be able to run 4x 5850s on a quality 750Watt power supply (maybe even less but let's play it safe). You can pick up a quality one of those for about half the price.
dmurph (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 05:02:02 AM

Just a note, you can't fit 4 double slot video cards into an antec 1200, let alone 5. Nor would you be able to fit 5 cards on the motherboard anyway, you'd need an extender for the 5th pci-E slot. That motherboard is kind of pricey for what you plan on doing, I'm not totally sure I understand whether you are building a second computer for gaming or plan on using this motherboard/cpu, but an AMD sempron will bottleneck the crap out of 6970s, so you won't be able to game on it anyway.

The only cases capable of doing 4 cards are ones with 8+ expansion slots. The only case I know capable of doing 5 cards for under $300 is the Rosewill THOR.

EDIT: Also worth noting that you will be hard pressed to find any 5850s these days. Amazon has been out of stock for about a month and there's no real reason to believe they will get any more anytime soon. Your best bet is to buy used cards or else you will have to go skinny with 5830s, another reason why it might be better to go with 2 cheaper motherboards that can utilize PCI-E x1 slots with extenders.

EDIT #2: The antec quattro is an incredible waste of money. You will likely be able to run 4x 5850s on a quality 750Watt power supply (maybe even less but let's play it safe). You can pick up a quality one of those for about half the price.

hm... ok.  Well do you suggest anything case-wise?  Or any way to just have one sitting outside the case? I was going to grab the extender for the 4th one, thought i could fit it in the case somewhere though.  Would 3 fit in a 900 or 300?

Yeah wasn't sure about the psu, I'll grab a let expensive one.

and what would be the advantage of two cheaper motherboards?

edit: I like the way this guy put his extra card on the side: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/20110523005.jpg/
SchizophrenicX

Activity: 112
Merit: 100

"I'm not psychic; I'm just damn good"

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 05:24:16 AM

Yea I did mention about the PCIe extenders if you're getting 5 GPU. The GD70 is a little pricey, but it comes with on board power button which is great cuz I'm using it naked w/o casing.

The Sempron is meant for the dedicated mining rig w/ 4/5 GPU. However, he is right about PCIEx1 to PCIe extender/adapter being an alternative so you can get cheapass MOBOs (That's one of the reason why more rigs are better because you might be able to drive the prices down more, you can get 2xPCIe2.0 MOBO at way cheaper prices than 4/5xPCIe2.0 MOBO with good spacing for 2-slot GPUs). The reason I didn't mention that is because I can't find any extenders or adapters around my area and it slipped my mind before.

I'm not all that big on Casing cuz it's like 30 C degrees all year round @ 99% humidity where I am + putting all those in a casing is just encouraging the heat.

Thx for the tip Smiley I help whenever I can.

bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 05:29:08 AM

Well, it depends on your reasons for mining in the first place. If you just like the idea of bitcoin then that's one thing, but if you are trying to make a profit, you want to maximize your cost / generation. This means either as many cards as possible on one rig or as cheap as possible multiple rigs.

For cases there is what I suggested, the Rosewill THOR, it's fairly reasonably priced (if you can find it) and has 10 expansion slots, enough for 5 cards if you space them properly (they will be cramped and hot though, and it has only ok airflow so you will need to set up some fans). Another option is a tech bench, mostly open air. You can also set up a rig like the one in the picture you list, except that the side card will block airflow from the sides getting to the crammed together cards on the motherboard. You can also get an HAF 912 (again, poor air flow, smallish case, but has 8 slots for some reason) for very cheap, an HAFX (huge case, lots of airflow, kinda expensive) which has 9 slots to uncramp things a little bit. Only the antec nine hundred TWO (v3) will be able to accomodate 4 cards, and  it would do an okay job of it I suppose.

3 cards will fit in almost any case though, 300, 900, 1200, Lian Li k57, etc. But again, when you are building a rig you want to maximize the number of cards you can fit into a single rig, or else cheap out as much as possible on multiple rigs.

Another nice option that is in between cased and caseless are what are known as "Tech benches". They are basically open-air but fully rigged up cases. One example I've been looking at would be:

http://www.amazon.com/MYOPENPC-Transparent-Acrylic-Station-motherboards/dp/B004TZ56GU/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&m=A3Q4NSDXS8U7OP&s=generic&qid=1306788458&sr=1-13

I'm still trying to work out which ones would best fit the most cards though.
dmurph (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 06:06:09 AM

Another nice option that is in between cased and caseless are what are known as "Tech benches". They are basically open-air but fully rigged up cases. One example I've been looking at would be:

http://www.amazon.com/MYOPENPC-Transparent-Acrylic-Station-motherboards/dp/B004TZ56GU/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&m=A3Q4NSDXS8U7OP&s=generic&qid=1306788458&sr=1-13

I'm still trying to work out which ones would best fit the most cards though.

Great info, I really like those tech benches, the one you posted looks the best out of the 4 I see there (I can't figure out if the rotatable one has a larger pci area, they don't really show).  Hmmmm now I can't decide between THOR and the benches,  I have to say thor is pretty nicely featured....

edit: thors are out of stock, looks like i'm gonna go with the openpc one!
SchizophrenicX

Activity: 112
Merit: 100

"I'm not psychic; I'm just damn good"

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 06:26:34 AM

omg I never knew of such things Haha I'm falling in love with Myopenpc!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B003CTR3ME/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

Okama

Activity: 23

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 08:30:21 PM

I'm looking for a cheap case that can handles 4x4850 VGA. Is this OK?
Code:
http://store.antec.com/Product/enclosure-gear_for_gamers/one-hundred/0-761345-15240-2.aspx
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: