Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:30:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Running a Bitcoin Tor exit node  (Read 2087 times)
BlackMachine

Activity: 208
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 05:49:07 AM

Well, there goes my dream Cheesy  lol
But I'll probably let those ports running as an exit anyway.
Thanks for the info.
You will still be a tor node, and that will help the tor network.
running exit nodes are a hassle since some sites block tor users from browsing their site. once you run a exit node, you will be flagged by a list of database and it is easy for webowners to flag your IPs.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 06:49:33 AM

I don't mean to take away from idea of a bitcoin through tor it's a interesting idea.  I'm all for spreading the network.

And I appolgize if it did not come out right.   I mean for example if you have a static IP and it's a exit node and some one spams, or does boting with google.   It would be a pain to have to type capatcha all the time on google if your node was used for bad.  Being flagged from sites as a bad IP. 

But I guess you are right if no one put's other traffic through that port it would not matter. And of course ISP i agree no matter what IP they have a record.

In my experience, I have to type in a captcha to use google whenever I'm browsing with TOR.   You don't have to be doing bad stuff to be forced by google to solve a captcha.  Sorry in advance if I misunderstood you somewhere.

The reason is the IP's have been flagged by google.   If your IP is not flagged you can search without needing to do a capatcha.   Granted running tor does not mean it will happen. (espically this tor will be just bitcoin traffic it sounds like).

This is what might happen if "bad traffic" is sent to your exit node - https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/86640?hl=en

Oh, right, I see what you mean.  If you got flagged while running an exit node then you might have to deal with those captchas even while browing not through tor, because your IP would be tor-marked.  Sorry, I think my brain is only running on half-speed today.  Smiley

Not a problem Smiley I probley didn't explain it well was part of it.  But that is the problem if you have a static IP if that happens it's a pain to get new IP so things such as google captcha on each search would make your regular browsing a pain.

In perfect world it would be used for things such as china blocked this site, so allow people there to view this site.  But sadly a lot of bad traffic goes through tor.   
tspacepilot
Legendary

Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 07:05:58 AM

[snip]
In perfect world it would be used for things such as china blocked this site, so allow people there to view this site.  But sadly a lot of bad traffic goes through tor.   

Right, and I'm also of the mindset that what I think is or isn't bad isn't an absolute.  For example, presumably, the government censors in china think that the traffic that skips their censorship is "bad".  So I admit a lot of grey area and say that freedom is better than censorship.  However, even I disagree strongly with some stuff, and anyway...
findftp (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 08:17:00 AM

Thanks for the info.
running exit nodes are a hassle since some sites block tor users from browsing their site. once you run a exit node, you will be flagged by a list of database and it is easy for webowners to flag your IPs.

True, and that's why I decided to be an exit for bitcoin only. I won't get the exit flag for that and my exit traffic will not easily be abused.
notlist3d
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 07:10:02 AM

Thanks for the info.

True, and that's why I decided to be an exit for bitcoin only. I won't get the exit flag for that and my exit traffic will not easily be abused.

It's honestly sad.  I have went to quite a few computer security conferences.  Even listened to some of the TOR team speak.  They had a great idea to help out people, and was about everyone having equal access to the internet in an anomyous fashion.  If a country or isp blocking a legitmate site then it's goal was to allow access.

But slowly in my opinion it degraded.  The amount of bad traffic just went up and up, and the network got slower and slower.   I have not used it in over a year so it cold have changed.   But the being flagged is a real worry with being a exit node.
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 02:59:27 PM

Thanks for the info.

It's honestly sad.  I have went to quite a few computer security conferences.  Even listened to some of the TOR team speak.  They had a great idea to help out people, and was about everyone having equal access to the internet in an anomyous fashion.  If a country or isp blocking a legitmate site then it's goal was to allow access.

But slowly in my opinion it degraded.  The amount of bad traffic just went up and up, and the network got slower and slower.   I have not used it in over a year so it cold have changed.   But the being flagged is a real worry with being a exit node.

It's still not fast, but it's useable.  I do so quite often.  I honestly think that tor is a bit like bitcoin---empowering.  Some people will use that power for evil, some for good, but overall I see the empowerment as a good thing.  I try to support tor but I don't have enough bandwidth myself to actually run a node.  Although the idea in the OP of just running bitcoin ports is quite interesting---it got me reading up on the tor docs and whatnot.  Thanks OP!
findftp (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 03:40:39 PM
Last edit: June 02, 2015, 03:56:01 PM by findftp

Well, there goes my dream Cheesy  lol
Thanks for the info.

It's honestly sad.  I have went to quite a few computer security conferences.  Even listened to some of the TOR team speak.  They had a great idea to help out people, and was about everyone having equal access to the internet in an anomyous fashion.  If a country or isp blocking a legitmate site then it's goal was to allow access.

But slowly in my opinion it degraded.  The amount of bad traffic just went up and up, and the network got slower and slower.   I have not used it in over a year so it cold have changed.   But the being flagged is a real worry with being a exit node.

It's still not fast, but it's useable.  I do so quite often.  I honestly think that tor is a bit like bitcoin---empowering.  Some people will use that power for evil, some for good, but overall I see the empowerment as a good thing.  I try to support tor but I don't have enough bandwidth myself to actually run a node.  Although the idea in the OP of just running bitcoin ports is quite interesting---it got me reading up on the tor docs and whatnot.  Thanks OP!

You're welcome  Smiley
Like I said, I run tor on a very low end machine.
Therefore it's running linaro linux.
One downside is that I can't install a recent version of bitcoin because there is no pre compiled version for linaro.
For the moment I lack the skills to compile it myself and be sure it works good. Otherwise I would have ran a hidden bitcoin node, something which is even more needed than a bitcoin exit node in my opinion.

So, if you're really interested in tor and bitcoin you could consider to run this instead. Bitcoin also consumes not so much bandwidth.
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 03:50:26 PM

I'm sorta surprised you can't run one of the pre-compiled binaries for another distro and just use LD_LIBRARY_PATH or something like that to fix up any missing dynamic links (IE, where libraries are in the wrong locations).  I've never used linaro so I have no idea, really.   Complining bitcoin is usually pretty easy on linux (but I don't know the package manager on linaro), presumably you can get gnu make and g++ and whatnot, then just run configure and make.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: