Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:38:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do I have to write five POSTS to get out of here?  (Read 4363 times)
lua (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:19:15 PM

Sometimes you don't have the time or imagination to magically write five brand new posts while still restrictered to the Newbe section. So, why posts and not replies? Or I am just confusing terms because of my Spanish-HighSchool level of English?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:20:24 PM

replies are posts.  this was a post.

you could do five posts in about five seconds.
ShittyBitcoinDrawer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:21:51 PM

Don't you need to be on for 4 hours as well? Or am I mistaken?

Drawing whatever catches my attention! Tips are welcome Smiley

1NQ57VnuktrtbcK8Mtk6GQJ4Xd3ti1FauS
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:23:15 PM
Last edit: September 09, 2012, 06:33:21 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Don't you need to be on for 4 hours as well? Or am I mistaken?

Yes you do and the clock is based on the system clock (which times out after inactivity) just pointing out the 5 post requirement is trivially easy to obtain.

The 5 post and 4 hour requirements to reduce the number of people who sign up specifically to spam or troll.  They likely aren't going away.  They don't prevent everyone (maybe not even a majority) but they do reduce their numbers which make it easier for mods to clean up the main forums.  Everyone had to go through it.  You can still read the main forums and many experienced users do respond to questions in the noob forum.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:29:44 PM

We should require that the five posts be original essays of 1500 words or more demonstrating familiarity with Bitcoin

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:43:22 PM

That would require at least 100 seconds, if I'm not mistaken.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:46:17 PM

That would require at least 100 seconds, if I'm not mistaken.
People who argue with obvious hyperbole should be restricted to the newbie section forever.
bitvientiane

Activity: 44

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:54:12 PM

I think it actually has a big impact on spam prevention.
Intoxicated_Sheep

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:11:05 PM

Because they are the rules.  Wink
chyort

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:23:18 PM

which makes this part of the system entirely pointless..

Whee now i have 3 pointless posts and i am almost out of this section...  Roll Eyes
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:45:09 PM

Whee now i have 3 pointless posts and i am almost out of this section...  Roll Eyes
Not entirely pointless.  The "auto-troll" was the type of person who infested these forums last year and the infestation was pretty bad.

Troll creates and account, blatantly spams and trollers, gets banned, creates another.  The zero cost means they would make dozens and dozens of accounts.  This makes trolling require at least some "work".  Trolls tends to not like the working part.  Even if they make one accont if it gets banned 10 minutes out of the noob zone they tend to not make as many accounts.

Your logic is like saying "Seatbelts don't save 100% of lives therefore seatbelts should be removed".  The stats show the noob rules reduce (not eliminate) the amount of trolling nonsense among new members. 
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:50:49 PM

also, there is the whitelist thread

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
chyort

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 12:30:22 AM

Not entirely pointless.  The "auto-troll" was the type of person who infested these forums last year and the infestation was pretty bad.

Troll creates and account, blatantly spams and trollers, gets banned, creates another.  The zero cost means they would make dozens and dozens of accounts.  This makes trolling require at least some "work".  Trolls tends to not like the working part.  Even if they make one accont if it gets banned 10 minutes out of the noob zone they tend to not make as many accounts.

Your logic is like saying "Seatbelts don't save 100% of lives therefore seatbelts should be removed".  The stats show the noob rules reduce (not eliminate) the amount of trolling nonsense among new members. 

Nah, 5 pointless posts requires no work and can be done in as you said five seconds. By your own definition that doesn't qualify as "work". Meaning it doesn't repel the trolls... I understand the 4 hour requirement and yes i can see that preventing trolls.

also, there is the whitelist thread
yes, but that actually requires more work than making 5 pointless posts Tongue and having to wait for a mod to authorize the whitelist.

Trust me, i did consider it months ago when i finally signed up. And lets keep in mind that i had been lurking for months before i eventually signed up because i had nothing i wanted to say. Only after signing up did i see the post requirements and started trying to remember to login when i was simply lurking to build up some hours here and there.
camjenk

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:38:49 AM

we should keep the system... keep the spammers and trolls out, and force people to get involved with community.

that's what will keep it going... a strong, involved community of peers.
PrimeDice

Activity: 6

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 03:02:47 AM

I saw someone come up with a system where you would send a certain amount of BTC, which would then be held by the website for a period of time, if you aren't a spammer, you then get the money back.  Interesting to consider.
rynmln

Activity: 49

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 03:20:43 AM

I saw someone come up with a system where you would send a certain amount of BTC, which would then be held by the website for a period of time, if you aren't a spammer, you then get the money back.  Interesting to consider.

No bitcoins? No rights.
PrimeDice

Activity: 6

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 03:44:01 AM

No bitcoins? No rights.

True.  Many people come here to learn and ask questions before they actually acquire BTC.
rynmln

Activity: 49

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 04:38:25 AM

No bitcoins? No rights.

True.  Many people come here to learn and ask questions before they actually acquire BTC.

And I've found that enabling people to learn is the best way to get people to understand and begin to use BTC. I also appreciate the fact that the newbs are not left unto themselves on this forum. This is a great community.
dotcom

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 05:03:44 AM

as already stated, replies are still posts

and honestly ya, I haven't been on this site long, but when i lurk other sections I see little to no spam
Ashitank

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 05:08:02 AM

1 more hour to go to get out of here
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: