Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:46:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who holds the alert keys?  (Read 794 times)
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 6473

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 09:08:36 PM

Does anyone have a list of all of the people that hold the alert key's private key? I know that Gavin and Satoshi both have it since Satoshi gave it to Gavin. Also, according to https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Alerts, theymos also has the key. Does anyone know who else has the alert key?

I'm asking this because of the possibility of Gavin using the alert key to abuse the alert system and broadcast to everyone that they need to switch to his fork. If other people hold the key, then this kind of abuse of the alert system can be mitigated because they can send out alerts which cancel Gavin's.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 09:19:48 PM

Does anyone have a list of all of the people that hold the alert key's private key? I know that Gavin and Satoshi both have it since Satoshi gave it to Gavin. Also, according to https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Alerts, theymos also has the key. Does anyone know who else has the alert key?

I'm asking this because of the possibility of Gavin using the alert key to abuse the alert system and broadcast to everyone that they need to switch to his fork. If other people hold the key, then this kind of abuse of the alert system can be mitigated because they can send out alerts which cancel Gavin's.

or Gavin could kill all other devs and execute the masterplan  Smiley

come on, seriously?

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 09:32:20 PM

Are you serious? Ruin his reputation to make only to reach a large consensus (aka majority of people who will use the new client)? The alert key is used only in certain and important thing not certain a proposal.
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 09:36:31 PM

Are you serious? Ruin his reputation to make only to reach a large consensus (aka majority of people who will use the new client)? The alert key is used only in certain and important thing not certain a proposal.
Hey, I'm paranoid. And I don't like it when people tell me what to do.

If you're just going to attack me for my reason for asking this, please don't post.

Wouldn't it help the community anyways to know who actually holds the alert key?

PenguinFire

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

That Darn Cat

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 09:39:08 PM

I didn't even know what an alert key was before viewing this thread.  Shocked Cheesy

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1031

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 09:49:37 PM

or Gavin could kill all other devs and execute the masterplan  Smiley

come on, seriously?

You mean order 66?  Cheesy

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 09:55:37 PM

Hey, I'm paranoid. And I don't like it when people tell me what to do.

If you're just going to attack me for my reason for asking this, please don't post.

Wouldn't it help the community anyways to know who actually holds the alert key?

This is why 'they are not public':

What would happen if a Darknet hacker kidnapped a "key holder"? Then the hacker could send messages via the alert system.

If might be a good idea to change the code and make the alert system multi-sig only.

It is always a question of personal security (but also for a security of the entire project).
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 09:55:55 PM

I'll just start posting the truth on all of these FUD threads.

Here is Gavin's question on a discussion board:
What do other people think?

If we can't come to an agreement soon, then I'll ask for help
reviewing/submitting patches to Mike's Bitcoin-Xt project that implement a
big increase now that grows over time so we may never have to go through
all this rancor and debate again.

I'll then ask for help lobbying the merchant services and exchanges and
hosted wallet companies and other bitcoind-using-infrastructure companies
(and anybody who agrees with me that we need bigger blocks sooner rather
than later) to run Bitcoin-Xt instead of Bitcoin Core, and state that they
are running it. We'll be able to see uptake on the network by monitoring
client versions.

Perhaps by the time that happens there will be consensus bigger blocks are
needed sooner rather than later; if so, great! The early deployment will
just serve as early testing, and all of the software already deployed will
ready for bigger blocks.

But if there is still no consensus among developers but the "bigger blocks
now" movement is successful, I'll ask for help getting big miners to do the
same, and use the soft-fork block version voting mechanism to (hopefully)
get a majority and then a super-majority willing to produce bigger blocks.
The purpose of that process is to prove to any doubters that they'd better
start supporting bigger blocks or they'll be left behind, and to give them
a chance to upgrade before that happens.

Because if we can't come to consensus here, the ultimate authority for
determining consensus is what code the majority of merchants and exchanges
and miners are running.

--
--
Gavin Andresen

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 09:56:09 PM

I only just knew about this alert key. I think this alert key is a message broadcast "password". It alerts users and doesn't halt the network or anything. It isn't that important who else has the key (apart from the named 3).
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 10:12:33 PM

I only just knew about this alert key. I think this alert key is a message broadcast "password". It alerts users and doesn't halt the network or anything. It isn't that important who else has the key (apart from the named 3).
I've just read about it myself, I had no idea what an alert key was. If I understood it correctly, it's the ability to send messages to every Bitcoin Core wallet to announce of an update or something along the lines? If that is the case, the alert key should only work if the majority of developers agree, otherwise it could be used for personal goals.
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2015, 12:07:50 AM

I've just read about it myself, I had no idea what an alert key was. If I understood it correctly, it's the ability to send messages to every Bitcoin Core wallet to announce of an update or something along the lines? If that is the case, the alert key should only work if the majority of developers agree, otherwise it could be used for personal goals.
The alert key is a private key, like your Bitcoin private key. Anyone who holds it can send out alert messages, it does not require the majority of developers in order for it to work. These messages will show up in Bitcoin Core if the message is signed and verified with the alert key. The fact that these messages can be sent without other key holders' consent means that they could be used for personal gain. However, other alert messages can also cancel older ones, so other key holders can negate an alert if it was sent without consensus. Also, there isn't much else that having an alert key can do besides send messages, it used to be able to put every node into a safe-mode where the RPC server was shut down, but that function was removed.

tearfereon

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 12:13:37 AM

I didn't even know what an alert key was before viewing this thread.  Shocked Cheesy
Me too. That's something new to me too.  Shocked Shocked
pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 01:55:36 AM
Last edit: May 31, 2015, 02:39:01 AM by pitham1

Has the alert key ever been used before?  Huh

Edit - saw the list of alerts and alert ids.
Yup, seems like a very useful function to have. Especially in cases like heartbleed.

digicoinuser
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1072

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 02:12:57 AM

I wonder if there are any other special bitcoin keys we don't know about?

hmblm1245

Activity: 628
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 03:57:17 AM

Yeah , are there?
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2015, 03:59:31 AM

Probably not. You can check the source code and see for yourself. If there were, then someone probably already found it and you just didn't know about like with the alert keys.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: