Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:00:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTS] Casascius 2011 Error 1BTC Series 1  (Read 3357 times)
wheresmycoin (OP)

Activity: 654
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 12:12:27 AM
Last edit: June 01, 2015, 12:27:10 AM by wheresmycoin

Just a slightly enlarged version: http://i62.tinypic.com/6f182x.jpg

Sorry to to this do you OP, but it is pretty important to know what you're buying.

This picture provides overwelming eveidence that this coin is peeled.
I think the miffman has done an excelent forensic job here.
I would like to hear what wheresmycoin has to say about that picture?
It is not unlikely that wheresmycoin was not aware of this untill now?

It would also great if the previous owners could be tracked....example who did wheresmycoin get the coin from, and who did that person get the coin from. It seams that there is someone in the line of owners who is up to no good.... It would be good if that person could be public known.

In case the original post should be deleted (by mistake, ofcause).... this is the coin in question:
http://casascius.uberbills.com/?address=142fuYHGtMifp3ofY9pCu4nd9mFVqqKms9

looks like some deterioration from that picture from miffman, but its not visible from the naked eye.

Honeycomb-effect can be seen throughout the whole of hologram though, not obvious, only certain angles.

Doesn't seem to me like its being tampered with. If you look closely at your existing coins you might find one too.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wheresmycoin (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 01:45:10 AM

coin quality looks decent, not suitable for fussy buyers.  Cool

but you might get a decent grading for it.
wheresmycoin (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 02:58:21 AM

price reduced: 2.5-3BTC
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2015, 03:46:09 AM

That coin has been tampered with...I have tried taking pictures of some error coins from all angles and can not replicate that. OP if you bought the coin that way I would redeem it ASAP and just sell the peeled coin (they still fetch at least .2BTC)

hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 06:40:10 AM

That coin has been tampered with...I have tried taking pictures of some error coins from all angles and can not replicate that. OP if you bought the coin that way I would redeem it ASAP and just sell the peeled coin (they still fetch at least .2BTC)

+1. OP it does look like the hologram has been tampered with to about half the coin width which could have given access to the private key.

Either contact who you bought it from or redeem it yourself and sell or keep the blank as Blazedout said. Nobody is going to buy it just in case someone does have a copy of the private key and redeems the bitcoin themselves after the sale.

P.S. If you do decide to redeem it and wanted to sell I would be interested in buying the blank if you retained some of the hologram.

wheresmycoin (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 09:35:54 AM

if thats the case, how does one actually do it( as in the honeycombed photo shown)? What is the actual process?

This coin has not been tampered with, based on some solid evidences that i can pull out for you, i don't want to open up a truckload of worms. Anyone concerned may PM me for evidences.  Cool

ps: will not be redeeming this coin.

i might lock this thread later on.

Moebius327

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 10:04:26 AM

if thats the case, how does one actually do it( as in the honeycombed photo shown)? What is the actual process?

This coin has not been tampered with, based on some solid evidences that i can pull out for you, i don't want to open up a truckload of worms. Anyone concerned may PM me for evidences.  Cool

Could you perhaps post a picture with with your handwritten nickname? This would clear some things up.
wheresmycoin (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 10:11:42 AM

Could you perhaps post a picture with with your handwritten nickname? This would clear some things up.

its is handwritten in paint job. It would take a while to post another picture.
Moebius327

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 10:21:21 AM

its is handwritten in paint job. It would take a while to post another picture.

Yeah man, I don't really believe you have this coin until you post a picture with your handwritten nickname.
hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 11:08:13 AM

You would be better posting the evidence here to clear this situation up. At the moment it looks like you're either trying to sell a coin that's been tampered with or a coin that you don't have. If you simply lock the thread it will look like you're trying to hide something.....

I'm not trying to give you a hard time it just doesn't look good at the moment.
cyclops
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 11:49:35 AM

Looks definitely peeled to me, if you hold a Casascius and look at it with a certain angle, and light it will slightly show the honeycomb pattern. But not as clear and evident as the pictures.
bithalo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1017

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 01:08:20 PM

I'm curious what kind of value is placed on this if OP could sell it.  Does the next buyer treat the BTC value as a 50/50 gamble?  So its worth the value of a peeled coin and some speculative gamble?

Co-author to the Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins.  More details can be found at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2767515.0
wheresmycoin (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 01:30:40 PM
Last edit: June 01, 2015, 01:56:01 PM by wheresmycoin

You would be better posting the evidence here to clear this situation up. At the moment it looks like you're either trying to sell a coin that's been tampered with or a coin that you don't have. If you simply lock the thread it will look like you're trying to hide something.....

I'm not trying to give you a hard time it just doesn't look good at the moment.

already cyclops mentions the honeycomb pattern is slightly visible.

The degree of visibility differs/depends from coin to coin w holograms.

You see as we move along, things starts looking legit and in line with what i said.

wheresmycoin (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 01:31:45 PM

Looks definitely peeled to me, if you hold a Casascius and look at it with a certain angle, and light it will slightly show the honeycomb pattern. But not as clear and evident as the pictures.

thanks, you are the first person to also point out the visibility of honeycomb for an untempered coin.

miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 01:55:56 PM

thanks, you are the first person to also point out the visibility of honeycomb for an untempered coin.

Maybe, but he wasn't vouching for your coin. Nevertheless, I will offer 1.1 with escrow.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
Moebius327

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 02:06:20 PM

Maybe, but he wasn't vouching for your coin. Nevertheless, I will offer 1.1 with escrow.

well ok, but what if the coin is tempered with? will you release the escrow, or will you dispute the trade?  Grin
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 02:11:18 PM

well ok, but what if the coin is tempered with? will you release the escrow, or will you dispute the trade?  Grin

If it is funded, I would release the escrow.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
Moebius327

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 02:20:51 PM

If it is funded, I would release the escrow.

This is clearly the case, but you know the risks. And OP should know this as well, no one will pay 1,1BTC for an unfunded one.
Dogedigital
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 02:58:29 PM

Why is it so difficult to take a picture with your phone of a handwritten piece of paper next to the coin?
cyclops
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 02:59:27 PM

I can't say if the coin has been tampered or not, but the honeycomb is visible, to a certain degree in all Casascius coins, given the correct lighting and angle. That is perfectly normal in the holograms by nearly all coin manufacturers.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: