Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 04:20:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ross Ulbricht is liable for value of fake identifications worth over $1M?  (Read 717 times)
MightyStorm (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 10

God is with us

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2015, 04:05:52 AM

Beside other things, US government prosecutors have imposed a money judgment against Ross Ulbricht,
I wonder, how they calculated what the fake IDs are worth?

D E P O ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ DEPOSITORY NETWORK | WP   :   ENG   CN   RUS
FOLLOW US: ► TELEGRAM    ► TWITTER                                  The World’s   F i r s t   D e c e n t r a l i z e d
                                                ► LINKEDIN      ► FACEBOOK        BUY DEPO         M u l t i - P l a t f o r m   Collateral   I n f r a s t r u c t u r e

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jeannemadrigal2

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 06:06:36 AM

Lawyers have a bunch of goofy formulas that they pull more or less out of thin air.  For example once the record industry tried to sue Limewire for more money than the Global GDP.  Who knows where they come up with this stuff?  I don't think it even has to have a basis in reality.  It only has to be a number that the lawyers think they can convince the Judge with.
Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 06:13:07 AM

Beside other things, US government prosecutors have imposed a money judgment against Ross Ulbricht,

The link you have provided is broken.
But yeah, it would be nice to know how they came up with that figure.

nikona

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 06:44:51 AM

The link you have provided is broken.
But yeah, it would be nice to know how they came up with that figure.

Here is the correct link from op http://cointelegraph.com/news/114417/us-govt-says-ross-ulbricht-owes-them-nearly-184m-apple-mentions-bitcoin-in-patent-application  . Would Ross have to pay any of that considering he will be in prison for rest of his life ?
TKeenan

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 08:55:31 AM

Would Ross have to pay any of that considering he will be in prison for rest of his life ?
Yes.  He has to pay it.  If he doesn't, they take all money away from his parents and sister and leave them on the street.  It is very harsh to be under the government of the US
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 02:56:40 PM

Would Ross have to pay any of that considering he will be in prison for rest of his life ?
Yes.  He has to pay it.  If he doesn't, they take all money away from his parents and sister and leave them on the street.  It is very harsh to be under the government of the US

lol.  no

jmurjeff

Activity: 106

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 04:24:11 PM

Yes.  He has to pay it.  If he doesn't, they take all money away from his parents and sister and leave them on the street.  It is very harsh to be under the government of the US

That is not how it works. They don't make the relatives pay his debt. What they do is they took all the sales from his bitcoin and applied it to his debt. What ever amount is over that, he then has to pay through work. While in prison he may make $1.13 an hour or some crappy number. The government takes half or so to pay his debt. If he gets any money sent to him they take money to apply to his debt. It is a messed up system and ridiculous. If he does not work they may take his privileges, lock down, or solitary confinement. I believe in federal prison all able bodied prisoners are required to work. They said they abolished slavery but it is going on in our prisons.

Edit:

Just saw an article last year that the maximum wage in federal prison is $1.15 an hour.
TKeenan

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 04:38:55 PM

Just saw an article last year that the maximum wage in federal prison is $1.15 an hour.
This makes good sense.  The cost of living is pretty low there.  COLA adjusted, this works out to more than the kids at McDonalds make.
jmurjeff

Activity: 106

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 04:47:18 PM

This makes good sense.  The cost of living is pretty low there.  COLA adjusted, this works out to more than the kids at McDonalds make.

Yeah it is not like they have to pay for food, clothing, or housing. However, I saw an article that states after the money is taken for fines and other fees the average prisoner takes home $0.18 an hour. That is pretty terrible but I guess they don't really need to use it except for goodies or phone calls.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 05:01:14 PM

I heard that too. They can also take every living female member of his family and make them work as prostitutes until it's paid off. The male members they send to South America to mule cocaine for the CIA.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: