Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 01:08:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Safe and secure cloud service for crypto data storage ?  (Read 918 times)
tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 11:56:54 AM

I am considering to store some of my crypto currency related files (statistics, personal reviews, even some keys and passwords ) into a cloud. I want to store them encrypted, so that I need only one passphrase to access all the data.
Do you have a recommendation of a secure cloud service?
SpanishSoldier

Activity: 686
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 12:04:37 PM

I am considering to store some of my crypto currency related files (statistics, personal reviews, even some keys and passwords ) into a cloud. I want to store them encrypted, so that I need only one passphrase to access all the data.

You may check Mega by Kim DotCom. Be careful about the associated legal aspects.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 12:06:47 PM

at this point isn't better to store them in a usb, without all the hassle of dealing with a storage that can scam you one day, even if at first they seems legit?

you can do it in this way, if you want more protection, save the data wallet, into a Vm then encrypt the wallet and encrypt the Vm too(vmware offer that), save the Vm(all the file associated) into a pendrive, your are done, better than any online service
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 12:28:55 PM

You should keep it locally until Maidsafe comes out. It will be the ultimate cloud storing service. We will finally be able to secure store our wallets and so on on there so we can access them anywhere in the world.
fkvidar

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 04:42:43 AM

With a cloud I am not sure there would be any way to prevent hacking meaning it may not be any safer.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 05:45:19 AM

With a cloud I am not sure there would be any way to prevent hacking meaning it may not be any safer.

You could encrypt it.  But even with that extra step I would not store in the "cloud".

Best and most safe is cold storage.  Use a USB or even a paper wallet and have copies to make sure you don't lose it.  But a secure cold storage is better then any cloud without a doubt.
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 06:02:22 AM

check out storj.io - it's exactly what you're looking for. but they're still in beta.

since you know how to use encryption, every cloud storage is fine.

mega.co.nz or dropbox should work.

tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 09:42:45 AM

okay, i checked out storj.io. it looks promising. Are the data be encrypted automatically or do i need to encrypt it manually before uploading?

check out storj.io - it's exactly what you're looking for. but they're still in beta.

favdesu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 09:48:11 AM

okay, i checked out storj.io. it looks promising. Are the data be encrypted automatically or do i need to encrypt it manually before uploading?

of course it's encrypted. but it can't hurt to use a true crypt container Smiley

virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 09:51:31 AM

of course it's encrypted. but it can't hurt to use a true crypt container Smiley

The cloud may be accessible to other persons than you. There has been malicious activity with cloud services in the past.
To prevent losing your bitcoins on the cloud run several crypto algorithms and to use a very strong private key. Because if you don't, your bitcoins will be gone for sure.

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
favdesu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 09:59:31 AM

The cloud may be accessible to other persons than you. There has been malicious activity with cloud services in the past.
To prevent losing your bitcoins on the cloud run several crypto algorithms and to use a very strong private key. Because if you don't, your bitcoins will be gone for sure.

Sorry, I was referring to storj. mega is encrypted to some degree. dropbox not as far as I know.

But you're correct - strong passwords are always needed. I backup my wallets in a true crypt container. ofc every wallet is protected by a strong password too Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: