Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:10:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could we really go wrong/bad after all these efforts ?  (Read 2208 times)
necrita

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 04:14:45 AM

we are still in early development stage and bitcoin is consider now as experimental.
Bitcoin has been operating longer than Instagram, Pinterest, Vine, and WhatsApp.

Nagle's turning bullish.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cconvert2G36

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 04:40:57 AM

we are still in early development stage and bitcoin is consider now as experimental.
Bitcoin has been operating longer than Instagram, Pinterest, Vine, and WhatsApp.

Nagle's turning bullish.

Bullish? All those companies exploded in valuation and use in less time... Ask the general public about Bitcoin? "Oh I heard about that..."

That said, Bitcoin is uncharted waters, with a nearly impossible goal, thus carrying a much steeper risk/reward profile than an emerging messaging/posting host.

Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 06:57:25 AM

you are comparing widely known smartphone applications with something, which is known (here) only for silk road.. Tongue

Fakhoury (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1027

Permabull Bitcoin Investor

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 03:59:46 PM

Nagle's turning bullish.

Bullish? All those companies exploded in valuation and use in less time... Ask the general public about Bitcoin? "Oh I heard about that..."

That said, Bitcoin is uncharted waters, with a nearly impossible goal, thus carrying a much steeper risk/reward profile than an emerging messaging/posting host.

Regarding people, do you know that Bitcoin is still new ?

Sooner or later people will hear about it, just give it some time and watch Wink

Quote from:  Satoshi Nakamoto
Feb. 14, 2010: I’m sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 04:09:27 PM

Nagle's turning bullish.

Sooner or later people will hear about it, just give it some time and watch Wink

Bitcoin isn't new, everybody in the 'west' and beyond has heard about it.
I don't even dare to talk about bitcoin anymore, it used to be interesting to people, but now they just laugh about it and make me look like a fool for even defending the concept (which i still do!).

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
SHDxGA

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 04:12:45 PM

Nagle's turning bullish.

Bitcoin isn't new, everybody in the 'west' and beyond has heard about it.
I don't even dare to talk about bitcoin anymore, it used to be interesting to people, but now they just laugh about it and make me look like a fool for even defending the concept (which i still do!).

Stay away from bitcoin !

I suggest you all stay a way from bitcoin, Patrick Byrne The CEO of Overstock is going to be forced to resign for his stupid mistake of keeping some bitcoins from bitpay, The error caused the company over 80% losses in 2014 & 2015.
Tim draper is humiliated by being called "bitcoin loser" by his friends of the billions club. Fortunately he still has billions.
The Fortress Investment Group LLC and Pantera capital are also being called "shitcoin investors" because of their foolish 20$ millions bitcoin investment plan.

If you don't know yet, "bitcoin" is a negative word in the real world, do not talk about "bitcoin" in family/friends gathering, you will be isolated and treated as "online criminals and ponzi sellers" for this foolish behavior.
No one want to lose money or be connected with internet laundering money after all. Especially don't talk about it in work, you might even get fired.
Most(99+%) big amount bitcoin early owners are criminals (hackers,drug dealers,scammer,pedophiles etc), do you want to make Mark Karpeles, Loaded, FBI etc.. even richer with your money? NO, then don't buy bitcoin! 

If you really have to cheat someone to buy your bags, Please do that to some one you don't know well, ie: scam some strangers & newbies on the internet forum to buy with a "train" "moon" false hope.
You might have already ruined your financial life, just don't mess up your real social life too.

Got fired for talking about Bitcoin last night
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/33u5gw/so_i_almost_got_fired_for_talking_about_bitcoin/
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 05:29:15 PM

There may be governments that will be threatened by BTC in the future and they may want to control or destroy bitcoin. However no one has shown me how they could do it. That is the power of open-source distributed computing. There is no point to attack. My computer could be attacked and taken offline, but there are tens of thousands of such computers across the world. Going after them would cost many millions of dollars and would likely have a tiny effect. It's just not logical for governments to act in this way.

All they gotta do is strangle the on and off ramps for fiat. That could be implemented tomorrow with very little expense.

There will always be a hard core of users and loops will gradually close, but it will always need to interact with fiat in some way for many.

It wouldn't be end of it, but it would suddenly become a lot less useful to the majority.
I agree. Some would still use it in a country that bans all sales of bitcoin, but it would hurt. Just as it has hurt the sale of marijuana. It did not stop people from smoking it, but made it harder.  To hurt bitcoin globally would require the cooperation of many nations working together on this. They would also have to have a legal justification. Here in the U.S. that would be very hard. Perhaps in dictatorships the ruler would just decide? I see no legal justification in our laws. (not that I'm a lawyer)

Why it would be difficult in the U.S. to ban Bitcoin ?
Banning it would require a legal rational. I don't see one. Early in the project there was some concern that bitcoin could be treated like a physical metal coin. Since then it has been legally defined and is now an asset subject to capitol gains. It would be very hard to walk that back in the face of hundreds of millions of dollars in venture capitol.

I'm afraid we could. It becomes less more likely each day,

Fixed that for you... Look at the charts and see a ship that's sinking... there is no 'big recovery' or 'tothemoon'.
Na, I've been here since 2010 and it has never looked so good. I live off them now. For me the battle is over.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Fakhoury (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 06:07:44 PM

There may be governments that will be threatened by BTC in the future and they may want to control or destroy bitcoin. However no one has shown me how they could do it. That is the power of open-source distributed computing. There is no point to attack. My computer could be attacked and taken offline, but there are tens of thousands of such computers across the world. Going after them would cost many millions of dollars and would likely have a tiny effect. It's just not logical for governments to act in this way.

All they gotta do is strangle the on and off ramps for fiat. That could be implemented tomorrow with very little expense.

There will always be a hard core of users and loops will gradually close, but it will always need to interact with fiat in some way for many.

It wouldn't be end of it, but it would suddenly become a lot less useful to the majority.
I agree. Some would still use it in a country that bans all sales of bitcoin, but it would hurt. Just as it has hurt the sale of marijuana. It did not stop people from smoking it, but made it harder.  To hurt bitcoin globally would require the cooperation of many nations working together on this. They would also have to have a legal justification. Here in the U.S. that would be very hard. Perhaps in dictatorships the ruler would just decide? I see no legal justification in our laws. (not that I'm a lawyer)

Why it would be difficult in the U.S. to ban Bitcoin ?
Banning it would require a legal rational. I don't see one. Early in the project there was some concern that bitcoin could be treated like a physical metal coin. Since then it has been legally defined and is now an asset subject to capitol gains. It would be very hard to walk that back in the face of hundreds of millions of dollars in venture capitol.

I'm afraid we could. It becomes less more likely each day,

Fixed that for you... Look at the charts and see a ship that's sinking... there is no 'big recovery' or 'tothemoon'.
Na, I've been here since 2010 and it has never looked so good. I live off them now. For me the battle is over.

What battle is over and how ?

Feb. 14, 2010: I’m sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume.
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 07:28:51 PM

What I mean is that bitcoin would be very very hard to stop anymore. It has huge capitol investment, it is used worldwide at many tens of thousands of outlets, it has a pipeline of projects that keeps coming, a loyal following of millions and growing. I just don't think bitcoin needs our help anymore. The genie is out of the bottle and it's not going away, IMO. 

Fakhoury (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 07:43:12 PM

What I mean is that bitcoin would be very very hard to stop anymore. It has huge capitol investment, it is used worldwide at many tens of thousands of outlets, it has a pipeline of projects that keeps coming, a loyal following of millions and growing. I just don't think bitcoin needs our help anymore. The genie is out of the bottle and it's not going away, IMO. 

Would like to hear from you about your speculation for the price in the coming 5-10 years.

RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 08:24:26 PM

Would like to hear from you about your speculation for the price in the coming 5-10 years.

I do not believe any person, including me, can know the future. That's my starting point. But I am encouraged by the indicators I look at. Those are:
User and merchant adoption - is is spreading among users and are there more places to spend bitcoin.
Investment - Are there new projects starting and capitol investment flowing in.
Utility - Is it still the cheapest, fastest, and most secure way to send money.
Viability - has it been broken or hacked in some way.

As long as those things are true then I expect it to increase in value and find new use cases. But how that translates into a dollar figure is very hard to determine.

anderson00673

Activity: 308

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 06:31:18 AM

This.  Anything can happen, just look at the history of big company failures like Enron.  However there are too many supporters for it to just disappear.  I notice more businesses taking it as payment, more people aware of it (if not using it), and even governments taking notice and enacting national laws about it.  These things point toward positive growth in the long run.  There will always be price fluctuations but you have to look at the why not the what.  I once bought a stock at 28$ that dropped to ~20 after I bought it.  But not only did the fundamentals stay the same, they got better.  For whatever reason investors were bearish about the company.  I held and now its worth ~110$ a share.  You have to keep an eye on the fundamentals not on the speculation.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 08:43:01 AM

But the question now is, could we really go wrong/bad after all these efforts and economic organizations entering the game ?

Thank you.

Fact is nobody really knows the real answer to this question. Yeah, one could say that things can suddenly imploded and whatever worst case scenario that we thought could never happen, might in fact happen after all. But as what you've said, we have seen people putting their best effort into it, be it investment in terms of time or money, and I'm sure these people would have known what they are doing. And obviously they see a chance in it.

yefi
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1511

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 02:44:15 PM

Not a soul on Earth one can tell you whether you'll be right or wrong. That's the beauty and scariness of the whole thing.

I have coins. I use them as much as possible. I think there's a good chance they'll be worth more in the future, maybe a ludicrous amount more. It could also easily die from indifference or technical failure. I can live with both scenarios. I'm not convinced there'll be much of a middle ground.

What I didn't do is bet the house on another 2013 style rise a couple of months down the line. That would obviously be pretty sweet but the world doesn't work that way. There were plenty of people talking about taking loans out right on the cusp of the price starting its lengthy descent.

Buyers were treating it like a dead cert back then. What has unfolded since should be a lesson in just how insanely risky this truly still is and how warped the market is.

I think it'll take many years to fulfill its potential. It's a hard/suicidal sell to someone looking in from the outside right now. When doubts have been largely assuaged and there's something approaching proper deflation, that's when things might become surreal.

5-10 years is the time frame I went into it with. It'll either be on its way to real success or terminal decline. By 2021 annual coin inflation will fall to 1.8% and by then infrastructure will make today look quaint. I think that's when we'll start to really know.

You'll either be kicking yourself or ecstatic like everyone else who is here watching it unfold.

I think it's a fine time to make a bet on this whole thing. The road to the future is being built in ways that would've been labelled flat out delusional had you suggested it on here in 2011/12. It's top down deal, though. The people won't come until the path has been laid for them. That it's actually taking place right now is vastly more important and reassuring than any short term price movements.

^ Likely one of the winners in this game. Too many starry-eyed groupies, blinded by Bitcoin's fame, were attracted like moths to the flame.
Fakhoury (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 09:08:19 PM

What do other people think ?

redhawk979

Activity: 271

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 07:20:10 AM

I think it was pretty much proven the other day that there isn't some conspiracy by banks and governments to destroy Bitcoin, considering a handful of testers spammed the network and brought it to a standstill of processing transactions for 8 hours at the cost of approximately $5000 in transaction fees (which is nothing).

If a bank or government really wanted to destroy Bitcoin, they could easily do so by clogging the network for days or weeks by spamming transactions all day to fill blocks, and considering they have not done so, they clearly don't consider it a threat.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 07:59:39 AM

bitcoin is already growing, each day with plenty of new big name joing the whole new crypto world

i think that we have already reached the non return point, for the bad position, don't look to much at the price now, it's not a good indicator of what we are aiming
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: