Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:21:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP PLEASE! Watching only wallet / how to sign/verify payments  (Read 1378 times)
seiesos (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 10:08:32 AM
Last edit: June 02, 2015, 03:14:16 PM by seiesos

Hi!
I am completely new to everything bitcoin related. I am using Electrum 2.2.
To receive bitcoins from a poker site, I created an address using the Bitcoin Core wallet.
When I realized that synchronizing takes forever, I downloaded Electrum and used the address from Bitcoin Core
to create my first Electrum wallet.
Everything worked and I received my poker money a few hours later.
Now I want to deposit those coins to my Neteller account.
But appearently the wallet I created in Electrum is a watching only wallet.
I don't know how to sign/verify my payments so when I try to pay to Neteller, the invoice just expires and nothing happens.
How do I get my coins to a wallet that I can make payments with? Or can I make payments with a watch only wallet?

Thanks in advance,
seiesos

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
seiesos (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 03:12:51 PM

Sorry for the bump, I'm just really desperate ...
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 03:58:27 PM

snip
But appearently the wallet I created in Electrum is a watching only wallet.
I don't know how to sign/verify my payments so when I try to pay to Neteller, the invoice just expires and nothing happens.
How do I get my coins to a wallet that I can make payments with? Or can I make payments with a watch only wallet?

Watch only do you mean you only have public address?  I believe you can put in public address of wallet you don't have but can still watch.  I think it's for cold storage users to check wallet.  So I'm hoping you have a paperwallet or some kind of cold storage so you can get it.

Have you ever accessed this address before?  Do you have key or way of sending coins?
seiesos (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 04:20:14 PM

The only thing I have is this watch-only wallet in Electrum called "default_wallet".
There is one address in it, which is the address I created as a new receiving address in Bitcoin Core.
This address has all my Bitcoins on it.
I have no cold storage or paper wallet or anything. All I have is this default
-wallet.
michinzx

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 04:21:05 PM

im a little confused on a read-only wallet... but here's a simple guide for signing a message from your address, really great guide with instructions for the more popular wallets: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345.0
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 04:33:25 PM

To receive bitcoins from a poker site, I created an address using the Bitcoin Core wallet.
When I realized that synchronizing takes forever, I downloaded Electrum and used the address from Bitcoin Core

In order to spend bitcoins from an address, you need the private key. Only your Bitcoin Core wallet has the private key to the address you are using. You can acquire the private key from Bitcoin Core and import it into your Electrum wallet.

Start Bitcoin Core, go to the debug console, and use the "dumpprivkey" command to print out the private key. Then go to Electrum and import that private key. I don't know the details, but you can probably figure them out.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
seiesos (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 04:57:31 PM

In order to spend bitcoins from an address, you need the private key. Only your Bitcoin Core wallet has the private key to the address you are using. You can acquire the private key from Bitcoin Core and import it into your Electrum wallet.

Start Bitcoin Core, go to the debug console, and use the "dumpprivkey" command to print out the private key. Then go to Electrum and import that private key. I don't know the details, but you can probably figure them out.

Sir, you just made my day!
I created a new wallet in Electrum and selected "restore or import keys", pasted the key I got from Core and it worked perfectly!
Thank you so much, I was close to giving up Smiley
subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 05:02:09 PM

this guy is right, just having a wallet, you can see the balance as well as transactions, but you only have access to the funds and are allowed to spend them if you have the private key. its a great security, enough that i remember some guy put his encrypted wallet file up for download somewhere and challenged people to take the ~8 BTC stored on it; it was possible to see the balance as you had the wallet, but impossible to send the bitcoins to your personal address as the wallet was encrypted and you didnt have the private key.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: