Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:10:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Reality of Masternode Centralization  (Read 7866 times)
celestio

Activity: 770
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 11:12:38 PM

Are you retarded BlockaFett? Honestly, stop making up false percentages with no basis in fact. At least troll intelligently.

from the first page of the thread:

Things to watch out for:
3. All Trollero replies to non-believers must start with "are you stupid?" and maintain the fact that everyone is stupid who doesn't "get" Monero (not any other Cryptonote clone though, even the ones with active developers and GUIs - Monero is special and the next bitcoin - FACT.

predictable...

Ok...

Interesting logic, so anyone that responds with an insult because of sheer annoyance to your biased, opinionated posts that hold no factual information or have no basis in fact, is what you call a "Trollero"? K, then many celebrities, billionaires, and CEO's are Monero lovers then.

Ok...

the result of your dismissal is that we now can't talk about MyMonero being any kind of a problem because no one (outside the core team) knows the actual number of users and for some reason in the absence of such you won't allow anyone to use an estimate either.  

That's great....

Again, are you retarded? I don't want to read about your opinions and such, what you're doing is pure speculation, and such things are useless. Provide facts, or shut up kiddo. Don't even bother responding if you're just going to state an opinion or "speculation" of yours.

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime" - Satoshi Nakamoto, June 17, 2010

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 11:15:56 PM

Are you retarded BlockaFett? Honestly, stop making up false percentages with no basis in fact. At least troll intelligently.

Things to watch out for:
3. All Trollero replies to non-believers must start with "are you stupid?" and maintain the fact that everyone is stupid who doesn't "get" Monero (not any other Cryptonote clone though, even the ones with active developers and GUIs - Monero is special and the next bitcoin - FACT.

predictable...

Ok...

Interesting logic, so anyone that responds with an insult because of sheer annoyance to your biased, opinionated posts that hold no factual information or have no basis in fact, is what you call a "Trollero"? K, then many celebrities, billionaires, and CEO's are Monero lovers then.

Ok...

the result of your dismissal is that we now can't talk about MyMonero being any kind of a problem because no one (outside the core team) knows the actual number of users and for some reason in the absence of such you won't allow anyone to use an estimate either.  

That's great....

Maybe you can contact everyone on the rick list and see if they care:

https://moneroblocks.eu/richlist

G2M

Activity: 280

Activity: 616

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 11:21:02 PM

Yeah!

The Rick List!

That's really here:  https://moneroblocks.eu/ricklist

Make sure you click it and don't copy paste Cheesy

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
BlockaFett

Activity: 392
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 11:22:51 PM

Yeah!

The Rick List!

That's really here:  https://moneroblocks.eu/richlist

The irony is, your actual rich list is on the DB on MyMonero.com, with access to the privileged few, most likely.  Oh and on Poloniex DB too of course Smiley
BlockaFett

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 11:25:32 PM

Things to watch out for:

predictable...

Ok...

Ok...

That's great....

Again, are you retarded? I don't want to read about your opinions and such, what you're doing is pure speculation, and such things are useless. Provide facts, or shut up kiddo. Don't even bother responding if you're just going to state an opinion or "speculation" of yours.

like I said, just a way for you to sweep the whole issue under the carpet...the issue of the "most secure and untraceable coin", operating with the majority of users (as far as we can estimate) typing their transactions into the dev's personal, closed-source server API, wired up to Google Analytics, because the dev's chose not to develop a viable alternative after 1 year since launch.

that's great
celestio

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 11:29:10 PM

Things to watch out for:

predictable...

Ok...

Ok...

That's great....

like I said, just a way for you to sweep the whole issue under the carpet...the issue of the "most secure and untraceable coin", operating with the majority of users (as far as we can estimate) typing their transactions into the dev's personal, closed-source server API, wired up to Google Analytics, because the dev's chose not to develop a viable alternative after 1 year since launch.

that's great

For a third time, Are you retarded? I do not care for your biased opinions. Provide factual information or shut up. What you've said is all speculation and has absolutely 0 basis in fact.

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime" - Satoshi Nakamoto, June 17, 2010
BlockaFett

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 11:35:52 PM

Things to watch out for:

predictable...

Ok...

Ok...

That's great....

that's great

For a third time, Are you retarded? I do not care for your biased opinions. Provide factual information or shut up. What you've said is all speculation and has absolutely 0 basis in fact.

Going round in big circle..."provide factual information or shut up" - You dev refuses to provide the information, therefore you want me to 'shut up', so if an exploit is going on, you just covered it up nicely.  It's like saying "you don't know the exact number of BTC Ryan Kennedy stole from Mintpal, so shut up". 

Because your core dev refuses to say the exact number, to be able to discuss the underlying issue, we have to use an estimate.  Mine is 50%, what number are you happy with? (3rd time I tried to explain this to you)
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 11:36:58 PM

Read again. I showed how masternodes could be compromised by using gleaned information from the hosting company, not by compromising the servers themselves.

No you didn't, you showed how a hosting account's owner could be identified, not how a masternode could be compromised.

Furthermore, I showed you how having access to a masternode does not "compromise" the network in any way, shape or form because the public already has access to them without needing to hack a single account and they in fact do nothing but support the network. Unlike mining, access to a majority of masternodes doesn't mean jack unless you're prepared to push the price to kingdom come and turn all existing holders into billionaires.

Furthermore I showed you how public blockchain, functionally decentralised, pre-emptive mixing is an electronic monetary model that blows Cryptonote back to the dark ages with its fiat based, impoverished trust architecture that wouldn't have lasted 1 of the five years of public pounding that bitcoin took, even with a decent wallet.

If you compromise a masternode, you can trace part of the mixing. And the more masternodes you compromise the more you can trace.

Really ? Maybe you should write a white paper quantifying that theory. If I take a piss in the Atlantic I'm sure I could make a persuasive a case on bitcointalk that I've toxified an Ocean.

If you use the criteria of a cryptographic messaging system to measure monetary fungibility -two things that have jack sh*t to do with each other- then you've obviously created a self fulfilling prophecy and are going to draw conclusions that are practically meaningless as you have done.
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 11:38:19 PM

Things to watch out for:

predictable...

Ok...

Ok...

That's great....

that's great

This might help your cause https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82P6IRnueog

BlockaFett

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 11:42:02 PM

Things to watch out for:

predictable...

Ok...

Ok...

That's great....

that's great

A lot of people extremely angry that I point out how MyMonero.com undermines the whole anonymity / untracability claims of Monero and gives the owners potential to be the only ones to see inside the opaque blockchain whilst the shleps are out in the cold...and trying to find out anything more about it is like trying to draw blood from a stone.....v. interesting. Wink
G2M

Activity: 280

Activity: 616

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 11:46:26 PM

Yeah!

The Rick List!

The irony is, your actual rich list is on the DB on MyMonero.com, with access to the privileged few, most likely.  Oh and on Poloniex DB too of course Smiley

Maan.

You mean I can't rickroll people for luls?

Fine.

Definitely would get a good idea w/ polo db. Still on the edge about mymonero. Would they be anywhere close to blockchain.info, or any other rich list though?

I guess a good question to ask at this point would be: ok, so the view key doesn't let you know what output is spent, yet it seems to be used to keep track of balances on mymonero. How is that information useful only on mymonero, and not anywhere else? If the information isn't beneficial anywhere else, why has this not been better conveyed? Is it because nobody asks, nobody cares, or nobody uses it?

And if you can't win there, then you can drill into the fact that the viewkey is a Monero core component except nobody has implemented it except for one website managed by Flufficus Pontificus et al. Why is this functionality not in the core software yet if there wasn't profit to be had by withholding the information?

Additionally, if there's all this damn profit to be had by creating services that allow you to view information that you can use to game the market - why isn't anyone jumping on the opportunity? I mean this is btctalk ffs. Scam central. These people would scam a nickel out of a five year old. So if getting financial information and using it to trade profitably on the Monero market was possible - where are they all?

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
celestio

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 11:59:00 PM

Things to watch out for:

predictable...

Ok...

Ok...

That's great....

that's great

Going round in big circle..."provide factual information or shut up" - You dev refuses to provide the information, therefore you want me to 'shut up', so if an exploit is going on, you just covered it up nicely.  It's like saying "you don't know the exact number of BTC Ryan Kennedy stole from Mintpal, so shut up".  

Because your core dev refuses to say the exact number, to be able to discuss the underlying issue, we have to use an estimate.  Mine is 50%, what number are you happy with? (3rd time I tried to explain this to you)

So now you're lying. Since you have absolutely no factual information, you're entirely making up percentages here. If you insist you're not lying, then I'd have to classify you as "below average" intelligence, as you consistently make up information on a whim and try to pass it as having any substance. Either those 2, or that you're simply trolling of course.

Put up factual information or shut up. Your biased opinions are worthless.

generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2015, 12:06:00 AM

Things to watch out for:

predictable...

Ok...

Ok...

That's great....

that's great

A lot of people extremely angry that I point out how MyMonero.com undermines the whole anonymity / untracability claims of Monero and gives the owners potential to be the only ones to see inside the opaque blockchain whilst the shleps are out in the cold...and trying to find out anything more about it is like trying to draw blood from a stone.....v. interesting. Wink

Angry? I think it's cute that you made that thread shortly after i made this one, with your pseudo-research and all, and now you're on this thread trying to skim attention away from the masternode problem.  Wink

BlockaFett

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 12:08:48 AM

Yeah!

The Rick List!

The irony is, your actual rich list is on the DB on MyMonero.com, with access to the privileged few, most likely.  Oh and on Poloniex DB too of course Smiley

Maan.

You mean I can't rickroll people for luls?

Fine.

Definitely would get a good idea w/ polo db. Still on the edge about mymonero. Would they be anywhere close to blockchain.info, or any other rich list though?

I guess a good question to ask at this point would be: ok, so the view key doesn't let you know what output is spent, yet it seems to be used to keep track of balances on mymonero. How is that information useful only on mymonero, and not anywhere else? If the information isn't beneficial anywhere else, why has this not been better conveyed? Is it because nobody asks, nobody cares, or nobody uses it?

And if you can't win there, then you can drill into the fact that the viewkey is a Monero core component except nobody has implemented it except for one website managed by Flufficus Pontificus et al. Why is this functionality not in the core software yet if there wasn't profit to be had by withholding the information?

Additionally, if there's all this damn profit to be had by creating services that allow you to view information that you can use to game the market - why isn't anyone jumping on the opportunity? I mean this is btctalk ffs. Scam central. These people would scam a nickel out of a five year old. So if getting financial information and using it to trade profitably on the Monero market was possible - where are they all?

TBH G2M I don't know what the actual data MyMonero asks for when you use it, I tried signing up but got an error when submitting the private key words...no one bothered to mention it until you did, so the data collected could be totally innocuous for all i know Smiley

Don't know either whether anyone is using this info or not or even collecting it.  On the site, javascript is sending (some of) the data to the backend API. if that is being retained on the backend then you could theoretically reconstruct parts of the blockchain and use analysis tools which would give an advantage as everyone else is on opaque chain but depends on the data and someone needs to actually exploit it too..  Stuff like balances / large fund movements / where funds were going would be the honey pot. I dont know enough about Monero to say Smiley
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 03:02:16 AM

For some reason I think certain people are not happy with this thread and would like it to go away......can't think why.

Neither can I: AFAIK only one of those thread starters is a Monero supporter (generalizethis).

I had no idea.  It's incredible that so many people think DASH is a scam and started threads discussing the various fallacies and shortcomings.

illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 09:55:06 AM

If you compromise a masternode, you can trace part of the mixing. And the more masternodes you compromise the more you can trace. The rest of your argument is the spin you are accusing me of. Even if LEA owned all of the Monero nodes they wouldn't be able to trace a transaction any better than if they were watching the blockchain--if you don't get why this is better anonymity, I feel sorry for you.

If the NSA compromises monero users' wallets, gives Poloniex the order for the coins in their possession, and steals and buys more monero coins, the more transactions they can trace. And nobody would know the percentage of the outputs the NSA would own.
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2015, 11:23:47 AM

If you compromise a masternode, you can trace part of the mixing. And the more masternodes you compromise the more you can trace. The rest of your argument is the spin you are accusing me of. Even if LEA owned all of the Monero nodes they wouldn't be able to trace a transaction any better than if they were watching the blockchain--if you don't get why this is better anonymity, I feel sorry for you.

If the NSA compromises monero users' wallets, gives Poloniex the order for the coins in their possession, and steals and buys more monero coins, the more transactions they can trace. And nobody would know the percentage of the outputs the NSA would own.

https://lab.getmonero.org/pubs/MRL-0004.pdf

See MRL4. It looks at how minimal mixin values affects the likelihood of an adversary with some percentage of outputs available to mix to see through to get the spent inputs in a ring signature. Turns out a rather low minimum mixin is enough to quickly drown a static (who doesn't generate more new known outputs) adversary.

For the active adversary above (I magically become the owner of loads of coins and inputs) then sure, if the NSA finds an exploit that lets them steal pretty much all the coins in existence, you're a bit screwed. Even if they didn't even bother to try to deanonymize.

If the NSA can do what I said, then Dash's anonymity is broken, but Monero's is fine. If the NSA can do what you said, then both coins are broken.

BlockaFett

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 11:35:53 AM

See MRL4. It looks at how minimal mixin values affects the likelihood of an adversary with some percentage of outputs available to mix to see through to get the spent inputs in a ring signature. Turns out a rather low minimum mixin is enough to quickly drown a static (who doesn't generate more new known outputs) adversary.

For the active adversary above (I magically become the owner of loads of coins and inputs) then sure, if the NSA finds an exploit that lets them steal pretty much all the coins in existence, you're a bit screwed. Even if they didn't even bother to try to deanonymize.

If the NSA can do what I said, then Dash's anonymity is broken, but Monero's is fine. If the NSA can do what you said, then both coins are broken.

Yup.  Let's pretend like having most Monero transactions typed into the dev's personal MyMonero.com website to move funds between there and Poloniex, that controls 95% of volume, because he refuses to make you a working client wallet where he / google analytics can't see what you are doing, means that Monero's anonymity "is fine".  (serious face)
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2015, 11:44:29 AM

Yup.  Let's pretend that having most Monero transactions being typed into the dev's personal MyMonero.com websiteto move funds between there and Poloniex, that controls 95% of volume, because he refuses to make you a working client wallet where he / google analytics can't see what you are doing, means that Monero's anonymity "is fine".  (serious face)

Blocka, you can't just make things up and assume them into truth. As Senator Moyniham once elegantly pointed out, "Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts."

BlockaFett

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 11:48:09 AM

Yup.  Let's pretend that having most Monero transactions being typed into the dev's personal MyMonero.com websiteto move funds between there and Poloniex, that controls 95% of volume, because he refuses to make you a working client wallet where he / google analytics can't see what you are doing, means that Monero's anonymity "is fine".  (serious face)

Blocka, you can't just make things up and assume them into truth. As Senator Moyniham once elegantly pointed out, "Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts."

LOL - i'm making up MyMonero.com?

Since I raise this 2 days ago, i got 30 Monero trolls hopping up and down saying "lies!!!!" and not one person try to say how the MyMonero setup / crippled client wallet / single-exchange situation is legit?

big mistake IMHO.  just from the reaction a huge alarm bell is going off.............................
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: