Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:55:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Reality of Masternode Centralization  (Read 7866 times)
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2015, 11:53:53 AM

Let's pretend that having most Monero transactions being typed into the dev's personal MyMonero.com website

You are making up the above statement because you don't know it to be true or not.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 11:54:51 AM

If you compromise a masternode, you can trace part of the mixing. And the more masternodes you compromise the more you can trace. The rest of your argument is the spin you are accusing me of. Even if LEA owned all of the Monero nodes they wouldn't be able to trace a transaction any better than if they were watching the blockchain--if you don't get why this is better anonymity, I feel sorry for you.

If the NSA compromises monero users' wallets, gives Poloniex the order for the coins in their possession, and steals and buys more monero coins, the more transactions they can trace. And nobody would know the percentage of the outputs the NSA would own.

https://lab.getmonero.org/pubs/MRL-0004.pdf

See MRL4. It looks at how minimal mixin values affects the likelihood of an adversary with some percentage of outputs available to mix to see through to get the spent inputs in a ring signature. Turns out a rather low minimum mixin is enough to quickly drown a static (who doesn't generate more new known outputs) adversary.

For the active adversary above (I magically become the owner of loads of coins and inputs) then sure, if the NSA finds an exploit that lets them steal pretty much all the coins in existence, you're a bit screwed. Even if they didn't even bother to try to deanonymize.

If the NSA can do what I said, then Dash's anonymity is broken, but Monero's is fine. If the NSA can do what you said, then both coins are broken.

Yup.  Let's pretend that having most Monero transactions being typed into the dev's personal MyMonero.com websiteto move funds between there and Poloniex, that controls 95% of volume, because he refuses to make you a working client wallet where he / google analytics can't see what you are doing, means that Monero's anonymity "is fine".  (serious face)

Blocka, you can't just make things up and assume them into truth. As Senator Moyniham once elegantly pointed out, "Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts."

Opinions are like assholes.  Everyone has one.

BlockaFett

Activity: 392
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 12:00:49 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2015, 12:15:24 PM by BlockaFett

Let's pretend that having most Monero transactions being typed into the dev's personal MyMonero.com website

You are making up the above statement because you don't know it to be true or not.

I have pointed out that MyMonero.com is essentially a massive gaping whole in your setup and looks likely to be a scam by your dev who has a *history* of trying to setup a web wallets in the middle of coins, like when he tried to scam USD 200,000 from Vertcoin to develop Vertpay.com - a simple HTML site. (and choosing to do this now on a Cryptonote coin means he is the only one with potential to see inside your opaque blockchain...)

Monero's answer "You don't know how many users use MyMonero, so without an exact figure nothing you are saying is true".

Or in other words, you think people are fucking stupid enough to believe a puerile defense like that instead of a reasonable explanation as to why the #1 wallet (i.e. the only one that actually works) for "the most anonymous coin in the world" is a website with a closed source backend ran by your core dev and wired up to google analytics = coin suicide.

I'll just leave this here:

generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2015, 12:14:12 PM

I have pointed out that MyMonero.com is essentially a massive gaping whole in your setup and looks likely to be a scam by your dev who has a *history* of trying to setup a web wallets in the middle of coins, like when he tried to scam USD 200,000 from Vertcoin to develop Vertpay.com - a simple HTML site.

Monero's answer "You don't know how many users use MyMonero, so without an exact figure nothing you are saying is true".

Or in other words, you think people are fucking stupid enough to believe a puerile defense like that instead of a reasonable explanation as to why the #1 wallet (i.e. the only one that actually works) for the most anonymous coin in the world is a website with a closed source backend ran by your core dev and wired up to google analytics = coin suicide.

I do like how you cut-off the bottom of the page to prop-up your assertions--subtle, very subtle.  Roll Eyes

https://getmonero.org/getting-started/choose

^^here's the live full version for those who don't trust Blocka's research techniques. 

BlockaFett

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 12:17:57 PM

I have pointed out that MyMonero.com is essentially a massive gaping whole in your setup and looks likely to be a scam by your dev who has a *history* of trying to setup a web wallets in the middle of coins, like when he tried to scam USD 200,000 from Vertcoin to develop Vertpay.com - a simple HTML site.

Or in other words, you think people are fucking stupid enough to believe a puerile defense like that instead of a reasonable explanation as to why the #1 wallet (i.e. the only one that actually works) for the most anonymous coin in the world is a website with a closed source backend ran by your core dev and wired up to google analytics = coin suicide.

I do like how you cut-off the bottom of the page to prop-up your assertions--subtle, very subtle.  Roll Eyes

https://getmonero.org/getting-started/choose

^^here's the live full version for those who don't trust Blocka's research techniques.  

That's right Generalize, because I don't have a 4k screen where I can include the 3rd party wallets like MoneroX which also don't work, everything i'm saying is a lie.

you guys are an utter disgrace to BCT...just sayin.
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2015, 12:22:29 PM

Then use two screen shots for full disclosure.  Wink

BlockaFett

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 12:27:04 PM

Then use two screen shots for full disclosure.  Wink

You are wrong to think people are stupid enough to not see through this...when the penny dropped for me and I pointed this out 2 days ago, personally I was 50/50 as to a deliberate scam, but now after seeing the reaction, and how e.g. your last page of posts avoiding my point like everyone else has done, I think i totally nailed it..  

I guarantee certain Monero people are currently sh**ing their pants on this issue..but don't worry, not worth my trouble to fully expose it and you have enough suckers on Trolloniex to keep your scam going for a good few months I suspect...
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2015, 12:33:31 PM

You are wrong to think people are stupid enough to not see through this...when the penny dropped for me and I pointed this out 2 days ago, personally I was 50/50 as to a deliberate scam, but now after seeing the reaction, and how e.g. your last page of posts avoiding my point like everyone else has done, I think i totally nailed it..  

I guarantee certain Monero people are currently sh**ing their pants on this issue..but don't worry, not worth my trouble to fully expose it and you have enough suckers on Trolloniex to keep your scam going for a good few months I suspect...

Dude, what proof of a scam have you uncovered? All i'm reading is assertions built on conjecture. Give me some verifiable evidence. It will only take some legwork on your part (along with finding the right people with right expertise) if it is true. It's not like anyone is preventing you from collecting facts, are they? If you are being threatened, you should alert the authorities....

BlockaFett

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 12:34:54 PM

Dude, what proof of a scam have you uncovered? All i'm reading is assertions built on conjecture. Give me some verifiable evidence. It will only take some legwork on your part (along with finding the right people with right expertise) if it is true. It's not like anyone is preventing you from collecting facts, are they? If you are being threatened, you should alert the authorities....

Maybe deal with what I already said:

"I have pointed out that MyMonero.com is essentially a massive gaping whole in your setup and looks likely to be a scam by your dev who has a *history* of trying to setup a web wallets in the middle of coins, like when he tried to scam USD 200,000 from Vertcoin to develop Vertpay.com - a simple HTML site.

"
BlockaFett

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 12:37:15 PM

Yup.  Let's pretend like having most Monero transactions typed into the dev's personal MyMonero.com website to move funds between there and Poloniex, that controls 95% of volume, because he refuses to make you a working client wallet where he / google analytics can't see what you are doing, means that Monero's anonymity "is fine".  (serious face)

Generalize this one you avoided too ^
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2015, 01:03:25 PM

Maybe deal with what I already said:

"I have pointed out that MyMonero.com is essentially a massive gaping whole in your setup and looks likely to be a scam by your dev who has a *history* of trying to setup a web wallets in the middle of coins, like when he tried to scam USD 200,000 from Vertcoin to develop Vertpay.com - a simple HTML site.

"

I think Fluffy already defeated your vertcoin attack months ago....or did you forget that accusation made and refuted?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.22660

Also, is this (the OP) you? https://www.reddit.com/r/vertcoin/comments/2590id/hello_members_of_the_cryptocurrency_community/

Anyone can use any of the wallets, so I'm not sure why you A. assume people are using the web wallet or B. that most transactions are being done on mymonero. Until you provide proof of one or both, it's really dumb to discuss the effects that that may possibly have monero's anonymity--i wouldn't transact through a web-based wallet if i wanted anonymity ever, but that's just me. I suspect that many people that have their funds on mymonero are sitting on them until the official GUI is finished. Someone else might assume because of the private nature of monero and the technical know-how of the majority of the people who post on the monero forums that they would want and be able to use one the gui's listed on the monero sites--but these are like your assumptions, based on conjecture and unsustainable as facts until more information is gathered-- kind of like when dashers assumed that everyone was using best practices to set-up nodes....

wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 08:04:17 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2015, 08:47:19 PM by wpalczynski

You are wasting your time.  The only reason he is spewing this nonsense is because there are about a dozen threads by a dozen different people criticizing his precious DASH about the myriad of fallacies and shortcomings inherent in that scam coin.  I believe he is well aware of how factually unfounded his accusations are.

First of all, the whole premise for his monero ""vulnerability"" is he states that most monero transactions go through mymonero which is an outrageous assumption.  Mymonero is simply a web wallet used mostly by noobs who don't want to download the blockchain and run their own wallets.

Even the rest of the DASH DEFENDERS™  are too embarrassed to join him in this ridiculous discussion about unfounded allegations based on absurd assumptions.

TheDasher

Activity: 346
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 08:41:13 PM

Blockafett is a dumb fuck why argue with him?
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 09:00:08 PM

The great thing about decentralized crypto is that anyone who wants to create a web wallet is free to do so, whether he's a core dev or not. If you think MyMonero is shady, you should create a better alternative for people to use for their xmr.

Regarding your other concerns with Monero, anyone who wants to contribute can. The core team members are hardly the only devs... and if any of the many xmr contributors were that concerned about a core gui, for example, they'd implement one and submit a pull request. Nobody has yet, because it's just not that high of a priority.
BagHolder010

Activity: 283

Best IoT Platform Based on Blockchain

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 09:11:55 PM

You're killing them blockafett; you made them talk to you on 9 or 10 dash hate threads...I thought what Evan and he's team did 2 days ago was enough for them since monero developers don't give them much love with any updates for a WHOLE year lol

██
    ███
  █ ███
 ██ ███
 ██ ███
 ██ ███
 ██ ███
 ██ ███
 ██ ███
 █  ██

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
      ▄████████████████████▄
    ▄████████████████████████▄
   █████▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀████
  ██████      ███████      █████
 █████████▌   ███████   █████████
▐█████████▌   ███████   █████████▌
████████                   ███████
▐███████▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ▄▄▄██████▌
 ██████████   ███████   █████████
  ██████▀▀▀   ███████   ▀▀▀█████
   █████      ███████      ████
    ▀████████████████████████▀
      ▀████████████████████▀
         ▀▀▀██████████▀▀▀

▄▄         ▄▄             ▄▄
▐██▌       ▐██▌           ███▌
▐██▌       ▐██▌     ▄▄▄▄▄▄███▌      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐██▌       ▐██▌   ▄██████████▌   ▄███████████   ▄██████████
▐█████████████▌  ███▀     ▐██▌  ▐███▀     ███  ▐███▀
▐██▌       ▐██▌ ▐██▌      ▐██▌  ███▌      ███  ███▌
▐██▌       ▐██▌  ███▄     ▐██▌  ▐███▄     ███  ▐███▄
▐██▌       ▐██▌   ▀██████████▌   ▀██████  ███   ▀██████████
▀▀         ▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██
███
███
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
 ██ 
  █

██    Whitepaper    ██
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
FacebookTwitterBitcointalk
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2015, 09:28:57 PM

You're killing them blockafett; you made them talk to you on 9 or 10 dash hate threads...I thought what Evan and he's team did 2 days ago was enough for them since monero developers don't give them much love with any updates for a WHOLE year lol

killing us? I thought he was on a suicide mission.

BagHolder010

Activity: 283

Best IoT Platform Based on Blockchain

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 10:02:59 PM

killing us? I thought he was on a suicide mission.
I might be interested on Fluffy pony ' s now...ill invest some money for him to build me another website like vertpay .com &my monero. Com ...call it crypto.for real developers lol

██
    ███
  █ ███
 ██ ███
 ██ ███
 ██ ███
 ██ ███
 ██ ███
 ██ ███
 █  ██

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
      ▄████████████████████▄
    ▄████████████████████████▄
   █████▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀████
  ██████      ███████      █████
 █████████▌   ███████   █████████
▐█████████▌   ███████   █████████▌
████████                   ███████
▐███████▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ▄▄▄██████▌
 ██████████   ███████   █████████
  ██████▀▀▀   ███████   ▀▀▀█████
   █████      ███████      ████
    ▀████████████████████████▀
      ▀████████████████████▀
         ▀▀▀██████████▀▀▀

▄▄         ▄▄             ▄▄
▐██▌       ▐██▌           ███▌
▐██▌       ▐██▌     ▄▄▄▄▄▄███▌      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐██▌       ▐██▌   ▄██████████▌   ▄███████████   ▄██████████
▐█████████████▌  ███▀     ▐██▌  ▐███▀     ███  ▐███▀
▐██▌       ▐██▌ ▐██▌      ▐██▌  ███▌      ███  ███▌
▐██▌       ▐██▌  ███▄     ▐██▌  ▐███▄     ███  ▐███▄
▐██▌       ▐██▌   ▀██████████▌   ▀██████  ███   ▀██████████
▀▀         ▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██
███
███
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
 ██ 
  █

██    Whitepaper    ██
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
FacebookTwitterBitcointalk
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 11:45:40 PM

The problem with Dash is those masternodes can be targeted by a powerful attacker and reveal your position. In general I don't like the anonymising system of Dash and would trust Monero a lot more if my life depended on moving money anonymously.
doc12
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1042

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 03:17:31 PM
Last edit: June 04, 2015, 05:58:55 PM by doc12

The problem with Dash is those masternodes can be targeted by a powerful attacker and reveal your position. In general I don't like the anonymising system of Dash and would trust Monero a lot more if my life depended on moving money anonymously.

Thats the point.
Moneros anonymity and untracebility is mathematicaly proven.

This endless discussion XMR vs. DASH makes no sense at all, because from a scientific/technical POI Monero (or cryptonote coins in general) is the clear winner.

P.S. Because of the huge premine it is also very probable that a huge number of masternodes are controlled by a very small group of persons. So someone would just have to compromize this small circle to get the control over the network.
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 05:00:27 AM

Thats the point.
Moneros anonymity and untracebility is mathematicaly proven.

This endless discussion XMR vs. DASH makes no sense at all, because from a scientific/technical POI Monero (or cryptonote coins in general) is the clear winner.

P.S. Because of the huge premine it is also very probable that a huge number of masternodes are controlled by a very small group of persons. So someone would just have to compromize this small circle to get the control over the network.

I don't even view it as a competition--more of a difference in opinion about how a cryptocurrency should be built. I researched a few privacy solutions (dash, drk then, was among them) before I came to the realization that monero was the best available.

My main criticism of dash was/is that the masternode system encourages centralization which weakens the prospect of good anonymity and fungibility. I kept reading from dash supporters that people were using best practices when setting-up masternodes and that they were spread over 30 countries--what I found was that 95% were based on the servers of a few companies spread over 5 countries which validated my initial and continuing concern if i were to entertain dash as privacy coin.

Dash supporters can squabble over how this effects the prospects of the coin's anonymity and fungibility (not odd that these two things go hand in hand), but what they can't do now is say that the coin is evenly spread over 30 plus countries or that masternode operators are following best practices.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: