Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:14:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The quest for the Antminer S5 Ribbon Data cable.  (Read 8329 times)
cdvs

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 05:26:32 PM

How do you create the image? I took the files that you posted before but doesn't work for me. I need to connect 4 blades with one control board

This  works for me with 3 and 4 blade
SD-S5-20150715-fan_ctrl.tar.gz

www.perearstike.ee/S5/fan.cntr/SD-S5-20150715-fan_ctrl.tar.gz

Thanks for the link, but I meant to the .imgc file yoy have it? Or can I just copy the 4 files over any SD to put it on the control board? I'm asking because I've read from Bitmain that I meed a soft (like HD Raw Copy) to create the image

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 06:04:27 PM

How do you create the image? I took the files that you posted before but doesn't work for me. I need to connect 4 blades with one control board

Thanks for the link, but I meant to the .imgc file yoy have it? Or can I just copy the 4 files over any SD to put it on the control board? I'm asking because I've read from Bitmain that I meed a soft (like HD Raw Copy) to create the image

This is not img file.
Just update your software.
cdvs

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 06:19:13 PM

This is not img file.
Just update your software.

All right i never done this before, so I've to select "Upgrade" on the miner's menu and choose which one? I mean to the files, in my menu appears: Backup/Restore ; Flash New Firmware Image (and you already said that's not image file)
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 06:27:09 PM

All right i never done this before, so I've to select "Upgrade" on the miner's menu and choose which one? I mean to the files, in my menu appears: Backup/Restore ; Flash New Firmware Image (and you already said that's not image file)

select "Upgrade" on the miner's menu, then Flash New Firmware Image  and use this file SD-S5-20150715-fan_ctrl.tar.gz
cdvs

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 07:35:17 PM

select "Upgrade" on the miner's menu, then Flash New Firmware Image  and use this file SD-S5-20150715-fan_ctrl.tar.gz

Hi again

I tried this morning the upgrade and i got this: "tar:invalide magic tar: short read"

That error message were shown immediately and said "Upgrade Failed"

Please help

Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 09:18:23 PM

Hi again

I tried this morning the upgrade and i got this: "tar:invalide magic tar: short read"

Please help

I downloaded and tried to upgade  now,  all works.
You can not unpack the file, before upgrade.
cdvs

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 10:32:22 PM

Hi again

Please help

I downloaded and tried to upgade  now,  all works.
You can not unpack the file, before upgrade.

Can you send me the file again? maybe the old link it's broken. I tried to make the upgrade without the others blade (3 y 4), can be this the problem?
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 11:31:55 PM

Can you send me the file again? maybe the old link it's broken. I tried to make the upgrade without the others blade (3 y 4), can be this the problem?

Link is not broken. I used downloaded file.
irun4fundotca

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

Mining away one KWh at a time

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2016, 12:40:42 AM

Im about to add a third hash board too I'd expect the file is still good to use? thanks btw Tupsu! Smiley

also on the topic about data cables if anyones still looking
http://bitcoinware.net/products/18pin-signal-cables-for-antminer-s5-s5-s7-with-length-of-120mm

not longer than stock but its a source for some looking

they also gave me a good deal on hash board with heatsink and pci-e Y cables for the project
if your looking try the contact page and send a mail
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2016, 08:16:52 AM

they also gave me a good deal on hash board with heatsink and pci-e Y cables for the project
if your looking try the contact page and send a mail

or buy from me S5+ single cube and (re)use your S5 controller.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=858962.0  ☆ Offer your price ☆

Latest bitmain S5 software still works with 4 blade, i use it with S5+   3 blades at freq 325  and with S7 controller
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2016, 08:13:16 PM

Bitmain will not sell the cables to u. I asked a long time ago and they replied about them being custom cabled so im guessing that means basically they are all premade and they ordered the entire batch of cables for every s5 that could ever be made and some so they cant start new orders for only a handful of cables which i personally agree with 100% because they buy in bulk to get the huge discounts on either premade cables or the parts to make the cables themselves but i highly doubt they made them in their factory and its likely they outsourced it to another factory near by. But i can splice all the cables with some digikey ribon cables i have to extend them but thats annoying for sure. I need them for the water cooling kits for s5's.

On another note....i also want the firmware modded to stop the waste bitmain said they will fix but its been weeks since they emailed me that reply so i might need to shoot them another email and ask about the status. Basically the miner will run full tilt with or without connection to the internet. That is wasteful especially if your network goes down randomly without warning for a period of time but also since it runs full tilt 24/7 no matter what i noticed the 80 degrees cuttoff doesnt work. I left the fan slightly unhooked by mistake when i reassembled it and plugged the miner up to my laptop not to the network and when to config it and add a second pool to the miner and i noticed i could feel radiating heat and when i looked at the status page the fan was at zero rpm (my fault completely) but the temps were at 94 degrees c. Thats 14 degrees past the auto cutoff for mining so it should have stopped then waited for it to cool off then start again over and over but since it runs full tilt 24/7 it makes the auto shut off stop working and keeps it running. Now this was only after about a minute of it being booted up so i got extremely lucky but im hesitant to move the miner to another location after finding this out because what if a pump dies or if a fan dies?? It will end up like asicminer prismas all over again. Bitmain said this was going to be fixed for sure but its a hugeeee risk and im not sure others know about this yet because whos stupid enough to accidentally test the auto protection thing for overheatting?? Well damnit!!! This guy is! Ur welcome! Lol jk but ya bitmain said its a built in feature to test the boards out for when network is reattached however long down the road but thats a stupid feature in my opinion. It only wastes the electricity the miners saved and people with comcast know that comcast cuts network connections in md at least without warning sometimes or they reboot stuff that takes 15-20 mins to come back up and authenticate with the main comcast servers so this wastes alot of power especially during a rain storm or just a standard internet outage. Ne one else notice this?? I havent seen other posts about it.

My S7 does this.......  running full-tilt when connection is lost.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
irun4fundotca

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2016, 11:36:08 AM
Last edit: June 08, 2016, 10:46:59 PM by irun4fundotca

or buy from me S5+ single cube and (re)use your S5 controller.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=858962.0  ☆ Offer your price ☆

Latest bitmain S5 software still works with 4 blade, i use it with S5+   3 blades at freq 325  and with S7 controller

I sent you a PM

& Thanks for the clarification on the FW, it saves me flashing it Smiley
irun4fundotca

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2016, 11:41:25 AM

whats the speed on an S5+ blade?
will it work on the S5 controller or do you need the S5+ or S7 controller for it?

I actually have a question about the S7 controller, some come with 3 connectors and I have seen some full of them,
can you just populate the connector sockets (if you know what part it is)to add more or are there smd parts needed too?
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 01:33:56 PM

whats the speed on an S5+ blade?
will it work on the S5 controller or do you need the S5+ or S7 controller for it?

I actually have a question about the S7 controller, some come with 3 connectors and I have seen some full of them,
can you just populate the connector sockets (if you know what part it is)to add more or are there smd parts needed too?

S5+ single cube is 2500 GHs  (one blade about 850 Ghs)

It works with S5 controller and with S7 controller with 9 sockets.
Works with S5 software and with S5+ software

With S5+ software and S7 controller you can put together  3x S5+ cubes in one single unit. 7500Ghs
irun4fundotca

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2016, 02:04:11 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2016, 11:54:34 PM by irun4fundotca

ohh thats awesome thanks

i made a diy mount for my one blade and extended the data cable, wish they had sold longer ones,
however cooling is not enough, also had to use a second supply as my 1440w only puts out that on 220vac
shuts down when it goes into hashing routine
so now Im looking for `some used end plates so i can use a spare 120mm fan I have to cool the blade
I`m going to buy another cube sometime soon but trying to work with what I have for now

nothing fancy for a diy

irun4fundotca

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2016, 03:07:06 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2016, 03:17:18 PM by irun4fundotca

Ok just an update

the 3rd blade works great, clocked at 450 i get temp of 62 and 1,838.90gh/s the other blades run at 52,55 but have a stock fan in the cube
so im looking for a stock fan and awaiting cube end plates to mount it in I expect that will help temps lots, have to make a spacer as the second sink to hold the cube square i expect, & plan on attaching it directly to the first cube and using that plastic side as the new Siamese twin cubes side thats exposed

I didnt run it longer than a few minutes to try the hash speed after boot

screen cap

what are the max safe operating temps? I always try keep it under 60 if possible

Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 06:26:02 PM

If anyone needs extra long data cables (~12"), I have a couple hundred of them.

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
irun4fundotca

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2016, 06:49:43 PM

If anyone needs extra long data cables (~12"), I have a couple hundred of them.

awesome sent you a PM :-)
dont really want to go through soldering again
thecolony

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 11:45:49 PM

I am really glad I ran across this post.  I have 2 s5s.  the controller board went bad on one.  I simply turned them both on their side toward each other, then connected the data cables and the fan on the bad s5 to the controller board of the good controller board and walla!!!!  4 boards running at 59C and clocked at 400mhz.  Thanks a great deal guys.  Probably never would have tried that without seeing this post.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: