Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 10:42:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Project] Solar Powered Bitcoin Mining Rig  (Read 5059 times)
NoahWL1 (OP)

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 03:21:46 AM

I have been thinking of setting up solar power to run a few Gridseed minis using this from harbor freight  http://www.harborfreight.com/45-watt-solar-panel-kit-68751-8527.html

I would imagine you could run 5 GS minis (scrypt only, fan removed) and a Ras Pi controller on a sunny day. Guess I would also need to factor in a small USB hub.  

I don't see why that wouldn't work, sounds like a good plan!  I'd love to do something like that in the future with my rockminers at 35gh/s each but right now I'm sticking to a low cost experiment Smiley.  If this is a good success I will definitely look into more power in the future for more hardware.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NoahWL1 (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 03:25:10 AM

oh ok nice 12w solar panel. Which one ? Do you have a link, Im searching a 12w panel.  Grin
Yep, it's in the parts list of the main post.  It's pretty cheap so I don't know how reliable it is but from what I've seen in the reviews they work great even on partly cloudy days.  They also have free returns so that's a plus.
Ghkihnk

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 07:47:06 AM

Good looking project! Will follow for sure.
NoahWL1 (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 05:56:56 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2015, 09:37:49 PM by NoahWL1

Amazon says the solar panels were delivered!  The Raspberry Pi should come sometime Friday.  When I get home I'll do some testing with the panels to find the optimum position to get the most sunlight out of a single day.

Update:  The solar panels work great!  Even with only one of the four panels exposed and in cloudy weather, my phone 2.1 amp phone charges!  Four panels exposed in cloudy weather charged it steadily and quickly!  Just waiting on the Raspberry Pi to get here and we are good to go!
NoahWL1 (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 08:18:19 PM

Alright, so I have everything working...  Kind of.  I've used an ethernet cable from my router to the Raspberry Pi and plugged in 2 Antminer U2s until the USB hub I ordered gets here.  They run great off the solar charger, although I've yet been able to test how well they work off the charger and the external solar panels plugged in charging the charger.  This is because I have no way to get an ethernet cable up to my balcony because of router's position in the middle of the house.  The only thing I can think of doing now is using a WiFi USB dongle, which is going to draw a lot more power and has yet to arrive.  I've tried using an old router as a repeater from my main router, but I cannot get it working.  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Here's a picture of everything (but the internet) hooked up:

When idle, the solar panels can easily handle charging the battery bank/charger while the charger is powering the Raspberry Pi.
NoahWL1 (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 09:06:51 PM

I've gotten my old router to work as a repeater, which gives internet access to the Raspberry Pi now.  Everything is working great!  It looks like the battery bank discharges master than it can be charged because it can discharge at up to 2.1 amps but only charge at 1 amp.  I'll look for a battery bank that can accept 2.1 amps both ways.  For the time being, I've wired the Raspberry Pi directly to the solar panels and it mines great with 2 Antminer U2s!  I'll post some more pictures and a video in a bit.
valkir
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 09:43:36 PM

Great job! Can wait to see the future of this project!  Grin

██     Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to :

1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 09:46:45 PM
Last edit: June 06, 2015, 10:02:34 PM by aarons6

you can probably setup some kind of a NOT/OR/AND circuit that when it detects the 2a from the solar panels it runs the machine straight from them.. with just  a trickle charge going to the battery..
then when the sun goes down and the panels dont produce 2a, it will switch to the battery.
NoahWL1 (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 10:09:27 PM

you can probably setup some kind of a NOT/OR/AND circuit that when it detects the 2a from the solar panels it runs the machine straight from them.. with just  a trickle charge going to the battery..
then when the sun goes down and the panels dont produce 2a, it will switch to the battery.

That's a good idea, I'll look into that, thanks.
NoahWL1 (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 10:09:38 PM

Great job! Can wait to see the future of this project!  Grin
Thank you!
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 12:22:03 AM
Last edit: June 07, 2015, 12:45:43 AM by aarons6

That's a good idea, I'll look into that, thanks.

you would have to double check, as im not an expert, but i think something as simple as this would work..

basically the 5v from the top would be your solar panel.. and the input would be your battery..
the 0v is ground and should be common to the whole thing.

you would then also take the 5v from the solar panel and wire it into the battery charging port on the battery as well.. might want to use a couple diodes for that.

when the panel doesnt make 5v, it will get the power from the battery.

hmm, edit looking at this it might not work as this may drain the battery straight to ground.. you might want to put a diode in the 0v line so it doesnt do that.

double edit. i bet you can take apart one of those lights they use for gardens that have the eye in them that senses when it gets dark and turns on and off and use that circuit between the battery and the pi. they only cost like 5$ and have a battery and a small solar panel in them you can use too.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/UNBRANDED-Solar-Black-Spot-Light-S8178/205401446?N=5yc1vZ1z0z3pd

examplens
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 3138

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2015, 09:21:12 PM

I support the idea. Very nice
i suggest you to try find cheapest solar accesories on aliexpress

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
okae
Legendary

Activity: 1399
Merit: 1004

northern exposure

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2015, 04:40:43 PM

omg i didnt know this thread i just start to read it and i love the idea you post here.

i will follow this thread carrefully since im very interested about how you can do it, ty for all the info!!

I support the idea. Very nice
i suggest you to try find cheapest solar accesories on aliexpress

agree about ali i already bought few thigns there but im sure that he know it already Tongue

IMHO #1.b of suspects, Hal Finney is/was S.N.
gablay12
Legendary

Activity: 918
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 08:23:00 AM

[/quote]
double edit. i bet you can take apart one of those lights they use for gardens that have the eye in them that senses when it gets dark and turns on and off and use that circuit between the battery and the pi. they only cost like 5$ and have a battery and a small solar panel in them you can use too.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/UNBRANDED-Solar-Black-Spot-Light-S8178/205401446?N=5yc1vZ1z0z3pd
[/quote]

The day light is not same during the day.You can use a solar charge regulator.Panel will feed battery, you can feed the battry with a timer during night.

Let me warn you charge-decharge capaity of batteries.There is an iverse ratio between number of decharge number of battery and the life of battery.Your operational expenses will be high:)

The more I meet people, the more I like my dog.
kay5ive

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 10:38:19 AM

Hi, can somebody explain, what is that? Is that thing which are talking about?
 Www.sunbitkit.co

takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2017, 03:18:48 AM

Www.sunbitkit.co

Why would you necro bump a thread from 2 years ago?

Solar mining is not possible. well it is possible, but the ROI on it is impossible.
AsdQ89

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 11:11:30 AM

Www.sunbitkit.co

Why would you necro bump a thread from 2 years ago?

Solar mining is not possible. well it is possible, but the ROI on it is impossible.

Probably just like Kay5ive, I just found this post and find this experiment immensely interesting. Not because of the hope for a ROI mining from solar power, but for the genuine interest in how one easily could set up a solar powered miner for home use.

I find this post very interesting and hope that NoahWL1 will follow up with an update soon.

/AsdQ
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: