Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:39:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Crypto] Borromean ringsig: Efficiently proving knowledge for monotone functions  (Read 4319 times)
gmaxwell (OP)
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 07:07:36 AM
Last edit: June 02, 2015, 07:47:27 AM by gmaxwell

Some here may be interested in a new cryptosystem I've been working on which efficiently and privately proves the knowledge of secrets according to an policy defined by an AND/OR network:

https://github.com/Blockstream/borromean_paper/raw/master/borromean_draft_0.01_34241bb.pdf

This new ring-signature is asymptotically 2x more efficient than the one used in Monero/Bytecoin: It needs n_pubkeys+1 field elements in the signature instead of 2 * n_pubkeys. In particular, it retains this 2x efficiency gain when doing an AND of many smaller rings, because the +1 term is amortized across all of them.

The paper also describes a new way to think about ring signatures; which might be helpful to anyone who has looked at them before and found them confusing. (If we were successful, you'll think the new construction was so simple that it was completely obvious; I can assure you it was not... fortunately Andrew Poelstra came up with an especially good way to explain it.)

While the connection to Bitcoin may not be immediately obvious, I've used this as a building block in a much larger and more applicable cryptosystem which I'll be publishing, complete with implementation, shortly  (I'm trying to not flood people with too many new ideas built on new ideas all at once, and I'm still working on the description of the other constructions). I think this construction is interesting in its own right, and I'd be happy to learn if someone knows of this being previously published (though I was unable to find anything prior).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 06:06:05 PM

Thank you!

Some additional commentary: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/386vh0/borromean_ring_signatures_new_research_by_greg/
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 06:31:54 PM
Last edit: June 02, 2015, 07:16:32 PM by wpalczynski

If this innovation in ring signature efficiency proves mathematically sound is it something that could be applied to the ring signatures in Monero?

gmaxwell (OP)
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 11:58:24 PM

Yes, it could replace the construct used in Monero (though I am pretty sure it would have to be a hard fork there) for an efficiency gain (or a privacy gain at a given efficiency). Though I've not implemented the tracability required for that particular application.
celestio

Activity: 770
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 12:41:09 AM

Very interesting, 2x improvement in efficiency is a huge boost. Also looking forward to the "larger cryptosystem" in Bitcoin. Core has my vote.

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime" - Satoshi Nakamoto, June 17, 2010
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 01:29:05 AM

Yes, it could replace the construct used in Monero (though I am pretty sure it would have to be a hard fork there) for an efficiency gain (or a privacy gain at a given efficiency). Though I've not implemented the tracability required for that particular application.

Do you ever see anonymity, stealth addressing, transactional privacy in general being implemented into Bitcoin?

I'm curious as to your opinion on the matter.  I feel that the whole premise under which all the VC money was invested into Bitcoin recently is that it is a Public ledger and because it's a Public ledger various governments have let it breathe enough to make these people think it's safe to invest.  Although some Bitcoin users suggest otherwise I just don't think this would ever be possible.

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 02:01:34 AM

How does this relate to Bitcoin/compare to Zerocash Huh

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
Sergio_Demian_Lerner
expert

Activity: 549
Merit: 608

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2015, 11:12:11 PM

Some here may be interested in a new cryptosystem I've been working on which efficiently and privately proves the knowledge of secrets according to an policy defined by an AND/OR network:

https://github.com/Blockstream/borromean_paper/raw/master/borromean_draft_0.01_34241bb.pdf

Very interesting! I have several ideas on how to improve it, but I must think more.

One possibility to extend one level depth of logic operations is to create signatures for additions of keys (P1+P2). Then, as long as keys are linearly independent there is no way to cheat (I think this would be the Representation Problem in the EC). User 2 may cheat by choosing his pubkey as (-P1+Q) as to allow proving the signature of both (and not having a private key for any of them). One way to prevent this cheating would be that each public key must be accompanied by a non-interactive ZPN of the secret key. Of course, if two users collude to create two keys so that one is a multiple of the other, then there is a hidden key (the difference) that is neither one nor the other that can be used to build the signature, but this seems not to be a practical concern.

So you can achieve circuits like  ( (P1 AND P2 AND P3) OR (P4 AND P5 AND P6) ) AND ( ....  ) with 3 levels of gates: AND-OR-AND

PS: using a edge-to-vertex dual graph where signatures are represented as nodes and edges are time implications seems easier to reason about.

Regards

TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 08:55:55 AM

So you can achieve circuits like  ( (P1 AND P2 AND P3) OR (P4 AND P5 AND P6) ) AND ( ....  ) with 3 levels of gates: AND-OR-AND

I think that is already covered? 

AND means 2 paths in parallel but OR means in series.

For example, this achieves your circuit:

Code:
    +----->[ .... ] -----------------------+
    |                                      |
S --+                                      |
    |     +-->[P1]----+   +-->[P4]----+    |
    |     |           |   |           |    |   
    |     |           V   |           V    V
    +-----+-->[P2]--->H---+-->[P5]--->H--->H---> [to S]
          |           ^   |           ^
          |           |   |           |
          +-->[P3]----+   +-->[P6]----+

The paper suggests that the P4, P5 and P6 nodes would have to accept 3 edges input each.

Multiple incoming edges could be combined with a standard non-trapdoor hash function (H).

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
andytoshi

Activity: 179
Merit: 151

-

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 06:10:07 PM

PS: using a edge-to-vertex dual graph where signatures are represented as nodes and edges are time implications seems easier to reason about.

I had this initially, but it seemed to require I use a hypergraph (edges with more than two vertices) and I felt it was actually easier to reason about the way that it's written.

Andrew
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: