Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:40:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin mining and your electrical outlets  (Read 3184 times)
Zich
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 12:48:32 AM

Most outlets are wired in series,main wires come in to one outlet,then go back up the wall & over to the next outlet.
Sometimes as many as 4 outlets on a single line.

I believe they are in parallel, not series.

Quite parallel, but they can be daisy-chained .. with a load at the end socket and improper contacts in-between, all sockets will go hot.

.. kind of what you see here:

One reason to do maintenance at least once a year.

Whoo, that's fire hazard  Cheesy
First outlet wire will be burn in no time.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 03:50:01 PM

Most outlets are wired in series,main wires come in to one outlet,then go back up the wall & over to the next outlet.

You need to remove the cover & look inside,unless the wires are "pushed" in the back of the outlet(you may need to pull the outlet out),to see if the line goes back out.

Also,most outlets are rated for 15 amps or less.You can upgrade your outlets to 20 amp models.

Standard 15amp outlet:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15-Amp-Duplex-Outlet-White-R52-05320-00W/202066670

20amp outlet:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-20-Amp-Commercial-Duplex-Power-Outlet-White-R62-CBR20-00W/202066702

Not a single outlet on the planet is wired in series.... they are all wired in parallel.

OP, clean the connection between the wire and the outlet.
spazzdla
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 03:52:31 PM

I believe they are in parallel, not series.

Quite parallel, but they can be daisy-chained .. with a load at the end socket and improper contacts in-between, all sockets will go hot.

.. kind of what you see here:

One reason to do maintenance at least once a year.

You are paralleling them when you are "Daisy-chaining" them.  It's paralleling not daisy-chaining for the technical term.. lol.  It's really the same thing.

HOWEVER, I highly highly higly recommend NEVER EVER EVER EVER doing what that picture shows, ever ever ever. EVER! NEVER DO THAT EVER.
spazzdla
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 03:56:24 PM

If your power isn't very good, I recommend buying a UPS.  It will protect your power supply during brown outs and spikes.  Also it will keep your miner running during very short power blips.

I had two power supplies blow.. my computer would keep restarting as I get like 10-20 brown outs a day.. UPS = golden fix.  Gotta keep that power smooth!!!
polymer_city

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 05:20:11 PM

Not recommended to run a lot of power of a circuit you haven't checked / wired yourself!!

I ran all my outlets in 6mm2 cable, and ran 16mm2 armoured to the 40amp RCD! If its hot / melting or alike do not keep mining!!!
MCHouston

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

Where am I?

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 05:37:51 PM

I run a lot of miners out of my house, I use #10 wire for 30A, #12 wire for 20A, and #14 wire for 15A.  If you are at 80%+ load on a standard outlet you maybe see melting or yellow especially if it is a 20A circuit as I can almost guarantee you have 15A outlets.  I would go get some Heavy Duty 20A outlets and upgrade them, these are made for that kind of load and will hold up.

Hope this helps.

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2520

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 06:10:33 PM

If your power isn't very good, I recommend buying a UPS.  It will protect your power supply during brown outs and spikes.  Also it will keep your miner running during very short power blips.

I had two power supplies blow.. my computer would keep restarting as I get like 10-20 brown outs a day.. UPS = golden fix.  Gotta keep that power smooth!!!
On miners and UPS's... Miners do NOT like yer normal PC stand-by UPS's. Been there, tried that with several different makes. Even with a miners PSU at 1/2 load every one I tried caused the miner to hang when they switch or adjusted the voltage. Reason is the relay switch transfer time which for most UPS's is spec'd at <10ms. That blip is long enough to often cause a big enough dip in the 12v output to lockup the controller. Sad

If you are going to uses a UPS is MUST be what is called a on-line UPS. Less efficient as they are always 'on' changing AC>DC>AC but there is zero transfer time. For several of my S4's and S2's I use http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/smart-app-ups/paragon-series/ol2200rtxl2u.html Pricey? Yes. However, are rock-solid.

btw, the s2's & 4's are the only ones on UPS's. When spiked (well, dipped really) they can be (are) the most susceptible to the sd card getting munged.. S3's and s5's just hang so the majority of the farm is not on UPS's. Waayyy too expensive to do that.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
spazzdla
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 06:21:09 PM

If your power isn't very good, I recommend buying a UPS.  It will protect your power supply during brown outs and spikes.  Also it will keep your miner running during very short power blips.

I had two power supplies blow.. my computer would keep restarting as I get like 10-20 brown outs a day.. UPS = golden fix.  Gotta keep that power smooth!!!
On miners and UPS's... Miners do NOT like yer normal PC stand-by UPS's. Been there, tried that with several different makes. Even with a miners PSU at 1/2 load every one I tried caused the miner to hang when they switch or adjusted the voltage. Reason is the relay switch transfer time which for most UPS's is spec'd at <10ms. That blip is long enough to often cause a big enough dip in the 12v output to lockup the controller. Sad

If you are going to uses a UPS is MUST be what is called a on-line UPS. Less efficient as they are always 'on' changing AC>DC>AC but there is zero transfer time. For several of my S4's and S2's I use http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/smart-app-ups/paragon-series/ol2200rtxl2u.html Pricey? Yes. However, are rock-solid.

btw, the s2's & 4's are the only ones on UPS's. When spiked (well, dipped really) they can be (are) the most susceptible to the sd card getting munged.. S3's and s5's just hang so the majority of the farm is not on UPS's. Waayyy too expensive to do that.

Very solid point, it has to use transistors or the switching time is just WAY to long.

I needed one for my computer lol.  It kept kicking it and the miner offline so I got two, one for the comp one for the miner. It's an S3.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: